Liverpool

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Where has this 'Eriksen-to-Liverpool' rumour come from?
Everywhere. The Danish media have been publishing it as fact for months now.

More pertinently, why?.
Because by all accounts, it is basically only Dortmund and Liverpool who have shown real interesting in signing him this summer.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
They need 1 CB and 1 RW as an absolute minimum but if they're serious about getting into the top 4 they need around 6 players in total to add some strength in depth.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I doubt you'll get Lucas Digne, but if you do, then that'd be a good buy, he looks like the real deal.
If we do, it is because other clubs are too slow. Think he'd be a perfect buy. Young, very talented and will have good competition from the more experienced Enrique, whom he should soon eclipse if he settles well. Those two at leftback would be good.

Papadopolous would also be a major improvement on what you have at the moment and would be a good signing for sure, sounds realistic. However, he'd probably be quite expensive as he still has three years on his contract.
Word is 12-15m. I am good with that. A first choice centreback who will improve the backfour is the number one priority this summer. If that is what ot costs to get the right man, I'd sooner pay that for a centreback than a sassy forward this summer.

Don't know anything about Ilori though, and I really doubt Eriksen will sign for you (isn't he rumoured to go to Dortmund? Much more attractive for that type of player!).
I am guessing Ilori is a bit more speculative. One we will go for if the price is right and the money is there.

Think if Eriksen wants the premiership and believes we'll be improving, he will sign for us. Don't think he will just sign for the biggest club he can, nevermind that it seems to be only us and dortmund showing real interest. Regular playing time and a club that will him fit him as a player seem to be important for him. Unfortunately, Dortmund seem to fit that to a tee as well.

So basically, if he fancies the premiership we have a good chance.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
They need 1 CB and 1 RW as an absolute minimum but if they're serious about getting into the top 4 they need around 6 players in total to add some strength in depth.
With reina leaving we need

A keeper
a centreback
a leftback
a midfielder
a winger

All good enough to improve the first team. Think the midfielder and winger will be rolled into one though (ie, Eriksen type of player who can do both), with a cheaper squad solution to supplement (been linked with Diego Capel...).

We could also do with a centreback backup, though Toure should be enough to cover for now, and maybe a backup midfielder.

If we can sign those five players, it will have been a terrific summer.

I am envisioning a budget around 20m + sales. Carroll should add 15m, Shelvey, amazingly, is being linked for 7m. Spearing should fetch 2m or so. Assaidi maybe 3m. Skretl.... 8-10m? Coates 3-4m? Whatever we get for Reina I imagine will be more or less what we pay for Begovic...

Still, if we can sell all those in that ballpark of figures, it gives about 60m to sign four first team players. 15m earmarked for Papadopolous. 15m per player, give or take, for the other positions should be enough to sign some good first teamers with a bit shrewdness.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Is Reina definitely leaving?
Not 100%. Does seem to have been groomed as Valdes' replacement at Barca for some time now though, so unless they change their minds or radically undervalue him, he will go.

I am hoping for 12-15m, expecting closer to 8-10m given how we rolled over for them on Mascherano and the fact that the club won't stand in his way (both on account of him deserving a move back there and also on account that FSG feels he is the most overpaid member of the squad).

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If we do, it is because other clubs are too slow. Think he'd be a perfect buy. Young, very talented and will have good competition from the more experienced Enrique, whom he should soon eclipse if he settles well. Those two at leftback would be good.
I have absolutely no doubts that Digne will make it to the top, he looks too talented not too, and very serious to boot. However, I just don't see him going to Liverpool for a variety of reasons. We'll see I guess, but if I was a Liverpool supporter I wouldn't get my hopes up on that front, not that it would be dramatic as Jose Enrique is good enough at that position.

Word is 12-15m. I am good with that. A first choice centreback who will improve the backfour is the number one priority this summer. If that is what ot costs to get the right man, I'd sooner pay that for a centreback than a sassy forward this summer.
That would be good business I suppose, and you're right, you desperately need someone in that position, he fits the bill so you might as well go for him. Given your transfer dealings these last few years, 12-15M would've usually been used to get a crap English "talent" with no use to you :lol:, so using that amount on someone who actually addresses the problems of the team makes sense.

I am guessing Ilori is a bit more speculative. One we will go for if the price is right and the money is there.
I've looked him up, is this Tiago Ilori? Seems like quite a bit of a bet, his page says he plays especially for the reserves in Portugal, it'd be a big step up to the PL. But if your new scouts have identified him as a talent, and probably for a decent price, it could be interesting for the long term. Not something that's going to help you in the immediate future though I suppose.

Think if Eriksen wants the premiership and believes we'll be improving, he will sign for us. Don't think he will just sign for the biggest club he can, nevermind that it seems to be only us and dortmund showing real interest. Regular playing time and a club that will him fit him as a player seem to be important for him. Unfortunately, Dortmund seem to fit that to a tee as well.

So basically, if he fancies the premiership we have a good chance.
I think that if Eriksen fancies the PL, there's other clubs who could sign him up if he started publicly stating he wants to come here. Also, Dortmund are a much more interesting proposition for a player of his profile at the moment, I guess you realize this, and it's not only related to wanting to play in the PL or not. He'd have to actively not want to play in Germany and be in love with Liverpool to opt for Anfield rather than Dortmund if both clubs are after him this summer.

Varun

Staff
Not 100%. Does seem to have been groomed as Valdes' replacement at Barca for some time now though, so unless they change their minds or radically undervalue him, he will go.

I am hoping for 12-15m, expecting closer to 8-10m given how we rolled over for them on Mascherano and the fact that the club won't stand in his way (both on account of him deserving a move back there and also on account that FSG feels he is the most overpaid member of the squad).
Never understood why Barca are intent on having him. They could do better.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Not to mention his patchy form of late.

Rodgers will have some trouble finding an adequate player to fill in for him, what with Liverpool playing with eleven footballers and no goalkeepers after all...

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Is this 2009? Barca want Reina as their first choice keeper?

Is that a joke?
Never understood why Barca are intent on having him. They could do better.
Not to mention his patchy form of late.

Rodgers will have some trouble finding an adequate player to fill in for him, what with Liverpool playing with eleven footballers and no goalkeepers after all...

I don't understand the logic at all. For all of Valdes' faults, he suited the style of Barça perfectly. Have the Barça scouting team not watched any of Liverpool's games recently? They've been trying to move out from the back using the keeper's footwork (good footwork being an important trait for a Barça keeper), and Reina has looked awful in that exercise, repeatedly kicking the ball out of play. Unless Barça have decided to adopt a new style which is to give the opposition possession back more often, it makes no sense.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Is that a joke?
It does sound a bit bizarre. There are quite a few good, young goalkeepers (early 20s) out there which Barcelona would be better off going for.

They had been linked heavily to certain young goalkeepers for most of the season, so if they sign Reina it doesn't make much sense.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

Is that a joke?
Reina was a top keeper up to and including 2010 and well into 2011. He was easily the best performer under Hodgson.

Think they will go for him because he is A) a La Masia graduate, B) is still one of the best keepers with the ball at his feet and C) has been slowly recovering his old form the last half season.

A) & B) are obviously important for them given how they've persisted for years with Valdes merely because he is adequate.

Personally, I think he needs a new challenge. Can see him going back to being a top keeper if he joins them.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
and Reina has looked awful in that exercise, repeatedly kicking the ball out of play. Unless Barça have decided to adopt a new style which is to give the opposition possession back more often, it makes no sense.
lolwut?

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I know 30 isn't old for a keeper, but he's become a liability and a bit of a joke at Liverpool so I fail to see the sense in one of the top sides in the world wanting to buy him.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Iago Aspas looks very likely to be filling the forward/winger slot we need filled. €9m allegedly.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Christian Eriksen for midfield.
I thought you would go for a deeper midfielder than Eriksen, more of a natural CM to play in the two holding positions, with Coutinho or maybe even Suarez playing in the number 10 role.

You've got Lucas and Gerrard to play there, not convinced on Allen and Henderson is the only other but hasn't been used further forward?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
For me, Coutinho's gone massively under the radar since his move in January.
Never seen a player impress so much with so little fanfare as Coutinho.
Shhh, lets all agree Coutinho is nothing to look at. Nothing to see, move along 'big clubs'.
I don't watch you regularly enough to tell for sure, I've seen him have great games and quiet ones. What did seem a pattern was him doing better without Suárez. Not sure whether it says more about Suárez-Sturridge as a poor partnership, or Coutinho being more subdued with Suárez around.

Views?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I thought you would go for a deeper midfielder than Eriksen, more of a natural CM to play in the two holding positions, with Coutinho or maybe even Suarez playing in the number 10 role.

You've got Lucas and Gerrard to play there, not convinced on Allen and Henderson is the only other but hasn't been used further forward?
think the fact that Eriksen has a high workrate and covers a lot of ground is why we are so interested.

Don't think we are necessarily going for someone who will play a deeper role. But he needs to do some of what Henderson does - cover a lot of ground off the ball but nevertheless be right in there running towards the box when we have the ball.

The mobility Henderson adds to midfield right now adds a lot to the midfield dynamic (converely, our midfield is often too static without him). There aren't many 10s around who puts in the shift Eriksen does.

gormless

Coutinho has been very impressive most time I've seen him, and even in his quiet games he seems to have had one "highlight" moment.
I think Eriksen is a bit of an unrealistic target though. Dortmund seem like a better fit in so many ways, and Liverpool surely can't be that attractive a destination at the moment.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I don't watch you regularly enough to tell for sure, I've seen him have great games and quiet ones. What did seem a pattern was him doing better without Suárez. Not sure whether it says more about Suárez-Sturridge as a poor partnership, or Coutinho being more subdued with Suárez around.

Views?
Can't say I've noticed that. Sturridge and Suarez seem to gel pretty well in most games and though Coutinho seems to be better at picking out suarez, I don't think there is a noticeable difference between who plays for him.

Realise it's only Wigan, but the assist he makes for suarez on 00:57 is just a beauty:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
think the fact that Eriksen has a high workrate and covers a lot of ground is why we are so interested.

Don't think we are necessarily going for someone who will play a deeper role. But he needs to do some of what Henderson does - cover a lot of ground off the ball but nevertheless be right in there running towards the box when we have the ball.

The mobility Henderson adds to midfield right now adds a lot to the midfield dynamic (converely, our midfield is often too static without him). There aren't many 10s around who puts in the shift Eriksen does.
Yeah I agree with that, but in terms of what you currently have in your squad I'm not sure he's what you need - especially if Coutinho is as good as you are saying.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I agree with that, but in terms of what you currently have in your squad I'm not sure he's what you need - especially if Coutinho is as good as you are saying.
Coutinho I think will mostly be operating from the left.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Coutinho I think will mostly be operating from the left.
Ahh right, yeah that would explain it then.

I had a feeling Sturridge would have been made to go to the left, which would have surely pissed him off because he hated it at Chelsea IIRC

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Straight into first-team: GK, CB, LB

depending on whether they intend to setup with wingers or narrow play, then possibly a pacey winger

If Suarez leaves, they will need a new forward as well

throw in a couple of squad players to cover the season

They could be looking at 4-5 first teamers + 2 squad players

may be a busy summer for them

Member 39557

Young Raheem has already stated they can challenge for top 4 next year. It's on!

TheReligion

Abusive
Reina has just had his worst season in a Liverpool shirt. He has been dreadful with possession and made a mess of plenty. I presume B20 is wumming.

As for Coutinho, he has looked good, but from what I'm reading you'd believe it was the second coming of Christ. I will reserve judgement until I see a full season of what he can do. A bit part Kagawa season has looked more impressive to me.

It will also take mega money for Eriksson and there will be plenty interested. Can't see Liverpool getting him.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Can't say I've noticed that. Sturridge and Suarez seem to gel pretty well in most games and though Coutinho seems to be better at picking out suarez, I don't think there is a noticeable difference between who plays for him.

Realise it's only Wigan, but the assist he makes for suarez on 00:57 is just a beauty
Fair enough. Suárez and Sturridge strike me as a selfish pair so I wondered whether it works well as a trio with Coutinho. As said, don't watch Liverpool that much so couldn't really tell.

The selfish bit is one to watch out for though. Sturridge always has been and Suárez has done my head in playing for Uruguay. It's not entirely his fault, but Cavani turns to shit and it was only ever Forlán who balanced things well with Luis. With Forlán gone downhill Suárez has been quite ineffectual.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I have just read from Ballague on twitter you are signing Iago Aspas from Celta Vigo does anybody watch him regularly? Meant to be your Suarez replacement.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I have just read from Ballague on twitter you are signing Iago Aspas from Celta Vigo does anybody watch him regularly? Meant to be your Suarez replacement.
I can't see anything that suggests he is Suarez's replacement.
Where are you seeing that?

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I can't see anything that suggests he is Suarez's replacement.
Where are you seeing that?
It doesn't say that but if he leaves that is what ends up being but if he stays he is a complementary player meant to be a hot-head also with a similar style.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It doesn't say that but if he leaves that is what ends up being but if he stays he is a complementary player meant to be a hot-head also with a similar style.
If Suarez leaves I am expecting us to shop from a rather more upscale shelf for his replacement.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I've never seen him play but I've already decided he is a cnut.
I have already filed him under "...but he is our cnut."

If he is as mad as Suarez, it's gonna be mayhem with both of them on the pitch appealing imaginary handballs like its going out of fashion