Logan Paul v KSI Fight Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by horsechoker, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sep 12, 2017

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

What the feck is this?

Two YouTubers organising a boxing fight and having a proper press conference, is this thing even licensed?

And people thought Mayweather v McGregor was a low point for boxing

and yes I may have inadvertently promoted this, but it deserves ridicule.
  2. Sep 12, 2017

izec Full Member

of course it has, it is getting ridiculous. But i guess thats the new age and we have to get used to it.
  3. Sep 12, 2017

I reckon a big YouTuber is going to run for President in 2020. :nervous:
  4. Sep 12, 2017

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

I had to Google who PewDiePie even was. I thought it was a Disney character not a YouTuber.
  5. Sep 12, 2017

izec Full Member

I have no clue who they are, i clicked on the channel of that Joe Weller bloke, jesus christ some of his videos are embarrassing. I guess for some people they are true stars and idols and the fame justified, just like for a lot of people actors, sports stars and models, but it is not for me. To each their own.
  6. Sep 12, 2017

11101 Full Member

Of course.

I wonder if anyone has ever truly quantified the return on investment of these people. How many of their viewers really do go out and buy the stuff they are paid to promote because of what they see on their youtube/twitter/instagram channel?
  7. Sep 12, 2017

Rob Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don't understand it, but like most of you I'm probably too old to ever get it.

It used to be footballers, singers, actors etc who were idolized, but now when I look at my nephew and his friends, all they do is watch some on youtuber doing or saying something. The world keeps changing.

I guess my grandmother would've thought Jackass was ridiculous as well
  8. Sep 12, 2017

villain Hates Beyoncé

Depends on the type of youtuber.
    I've got a friend who's a MUA on Youtube, and any time she does a new look, or reviews new products or anything she'll put a specific buy link in the description box that is attached to her username or some kind of unique identifier - that way the sponsor can track just how much monetary value they bring in.
    She comfortably makes 4/5 figures a month, and only does maybe 2 videos a week max - and the sponsors give her leeway because of course while her buy link may have led someone to the website, they may have not necessarily purchased the exact product, but they still took an interest in the site and either bought something else, or may have just added to their list of things to buy for next time.

For things like gamers, I guess it's less easy to track - but it's still a numbers game. If you're getting 250k views consistently on all your videos, then at that point as a sponsor, you're only needing probably less than 10% of people to buy the game in order to get a decent ROI
  9. Sep 12, 2017

Zebs Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

I'm in the middle of writing an article on YouTube fame that will probably get rejected by all publications, so I'll probably post it here when I finish it sometime in the next ten years.
  10. Sep 12, 2017

SirAF Ageist

:lol:

The only reason I know the name is because of my juvenile mate who follow him on YT.
  11. Sep 12, 2017

Anyway, the 'fight' apparently will be licenced. But it's just two lads going for a cash grab in the wake of Mayweather v McGregor.

KSI, while a bit of an idiot, is an extremely astute businessman and knows how to re-invent himself or change the game when things are going stale. Has done it a number of times. Weller is just an idiot who has made a career of badly imitating better YouTubers
  12. Sep 12, 2017

Offside Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

I used to like TheTrueGeordie until he completely sold his channel to this kind of nonsense.
  13. Sep 12, 2017

11101 Full Member

But how many of those people click to buy just because of her? How many would still buy it if they just put some random advert out instead? And how many were going to buy it anyway?
  14. Sep 12, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

KSI, is that the guy who just screams whilst playing FIFA?
  15. Sep 12, 2017

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

Would rather see Philip DeFranco, Dave Rubin and other YouTubers represent the US than Trump to be fair.
    But then again, it would probably be Jake Paul. :lol:
  16. Sep 12, 2017

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Hasn't the bubble bust with Youtube recently? People are receiving less ad revenue than ever or so I've read.
  17. Sep 12, 2017

Ad revenue is down, but patreon & merchandise keep the big YouTubers very financially well off still.
  18. Sep 12, 2017

America is my city:wenger:
  19. Sep 12, 2017

Scrumpet There are no words

They're a pretty dodgy mix of friend simulator and salesman.
  20. Sep 12, 2017

Cypriot Full Member

Yeah, so since it's now harder for them - surely this beef that they're all having (possibly fake), is generating them all astronomical view counts.
  21. Sep 12, 2017

He was, but hardly plays FIFA anymore, in fact, he continually comes out against it these days. Is an occasional Youtuber/"rapper" now.
  22. Sep 12, 2017

villain Hates Beyoncé

That's why they have specific links.
    So instead of the link saying: www.houseoffraser.com/makeup/mac or whatever.
    It will say: www.houseoffraser.com/makeup/mac/youtubemua1 - and they'll usually shorten it further so it just says www.bit.ly/3etteg < or something.

And as part of the merchant process you can track and trace which products are purchased buy external links, plus you can track how much traffic these referral links bring in. So from that you can see how many clicks the sponsors give you, plus how many of those clicks actually convert into sales, then by tracking things like IP addresses you can see if someone who was brought from a sponsor link, actually bought a completely different product for example too - there's a lot of things you can trace.
    It's a pretty abstract thought but if you've seen any digital marketing analytics then you can see how simple it is to keep track of this kind of stuff.
  23. Sep 12, 2017

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Find Patreon mental. Jim Sterling, for instance, is a pretty small-fry Youtube "star" and he's getting 12k a month on it.
  24. Sep 12, 2017

Neelu Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers

I think he stopped playing FIFA quite a while ago. He was entertaining then with his commentary, but now he is into all kinds of other stuff. Unsubscribed long ago.
  25. Sep 12, 2017

Flying high Full Member

Youtube celebrities should be treated just like most other celebrities.

If you enjoy their content then watch it. If it's vacuous crap, then try to ignore it.

Most importantly though, don't take an interest in their life. They are no more important than anyone else and are typically at the high maintenance/attention seeking end of the human scale.
  26. Sep 12, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

It's fake. Both of them are cnuts too.
  27. Sep 12, 2017

Oh I agree that Patreon is mental. People should be "allowed" to support the content they want. Sterling just seem to have a fanbase that have the cash to back him, and the willingness to do it.

I think sponsorships/patron is good for the platform, as it frees people up from the restrictive rulebook for googles advertisers.
    If your content has a good following and the individuals/companies want to/don't mind being associated with you, you get money for your work.

I wouldn't want for example Nostalgia critic to change his ways if he fell under the the knife because of advertisers backing down from his channel via youtube, or other people like AngryJoe. If Patron/company sponsorships is what makes them stay true to their content and evolve naturally instead of forced-changes through policies of the platform, it's doing a good thing.
  28. Sep 12, 2017

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I have no idea who either of those muppets are and I only subscribe to one youtube channel but this thread has piqued my interest. I want to watch the fight!
  29. Sep 12, 2017

SirAF Ageist

https://www.youtube.com/user/BusanKevin

This is a proper Youtuber! The only guy that I follow.
  30. Sep 12, 2017

JB08 Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Supports:
    Purchasing Kalidou Koulibaly
    I made it 14 seconds in but it was too cringeworthy to watch :/
  31. Sep 12, 2017

Olly Gunnar Solskjær bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal dog Scout

:lol: Fecking hell, what a load of shite. So embarrassing.
  32. Sep 12, 2017

Arruda Love is in the air, everywhere I look around

Supports:
    Porto
    Well traditional TV has its fair share of famous people without any specific discernible talent, many of them ignorant and even offensive and some have been going for decades. As long as there's an audience that relates to them they will keep on going. Youtube isn't any different, nor there's any reason why it should be.
  33. Sep 12, 2017

JoaquinJoaquin Full Member

Both of these two are pr1cks of the highest order, but judging by the amount of kids that sit on YouTube all day this kind of rubbish does not surprise me either.
  34. Sep 12, 2017

11101 Full Member

I know that bit, but what I mean is how do you know that customer is buying purely off her recommendation.

Say I'm in the market for a new TV and I click your friend's link to samsung.com. What's to say I wouldn't have clicked the same link from some banner ad that cost half the price? And how do you know I wasn't just about to get in the car and drive to Currys anyway, or go to Amazon and order it there? She wasn't influencing my purchasing decision in any way, she was just there at the right time.
  35. Sep 12, 2017

villain Hates Beyoncé

Well it's pretty simple. Because the link is unique - you wouldn't have been able to find it unless you either watched her youtube video/instagram post/tweet or whatever.
    Here's an example of a link that someone I watch on youtube left on one of her most recent videos;
    https://www.youtube.com/redirect?re...A1MjI1Nzg5&q=http://bit.ly/2vMHAHX&event=desc
    however on youtube it's shortened to: http://bit.ly/2vMHAHX

These aren't things that the average joe will just type in, they're designed specifically to notify the sponsor that this particular youtuber has referred x amount of people to the site.

The banner ad will have it's own unique identifying link, that isn't tied to the youtuber at all - so it's easy to trace that also.

As for whether marketing influences your decision, only you will know whether you are not influenced by any branding, advertising or marketing at all - but there's a reason why its a multi-billion dollar industry globally, and you've got hundreds of people getting paid for simply advertising things on youtube.
    Word of mouth and recommendations carry weight, potentially more so than commercial marketing, and youtubers are helping brands establish themselves simply by pushing certain products.
  36. Sep 12, 2017

Henrik Larsson Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

Don't particularly like it, but it probably fits right in with old skool television slowly but steadily fading away.

And I guess the reshuffling of the media landscape offers so much opportunity, it's never been easier to start your own tv channel or media outlet and get loads of attention with it.
  37. Sep 12, 2017

Minkaro Full Member

Markiplier, who does those gaming vids, is actually going on tour. Like actually on an actual stage.

I like him, I enjoy his videos, and I'm honestly a bit stumped as to what is happening.
  38. Sep 12, 2017

Well at least Game of Thrones actors aren't fighting Walking Dead actors
  39. Sep 12, 2017

Scarecrow Having a week off

How does that affect your life, in any way?
  40. Sep 12, 2017

arthurka Full Member

What the F is a Youtuber?