Loris Karius appreciation thread

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's a fair point. Even Edwin Van Der Sar needed to be told when he first came here that sailing through like he did at Fulham wouldnt be accepted. I was listening to Tony Coton during his press for his book, and he said Fergie told him that Van Der Sar was basically coasting through and not getting to saves he should have been when he was at Fulham. Because "it's only Fulham." And if you'd notice, the Van Der Sar from 99-2005 wasnt the same Van Der Sar we got. He was incredible for us. As much as Karius is to blame for the feck ups, his coach should be battering him daily. Concentration is vital, and to not know who is around you in your own area is a major lapse.
Think United have been lucky with most of our goalkeeping coaches.

Bwuk

Liverpool would of been better keeping Reina than Karius or Mignolet.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Thing is, Liverpool were still very much the underdogs on the night. The UK media built them up but they overachieved massively throughout the competition and had no right to win it (City result aside). I know they probably had to believe they could succeed having gotten that far but it's hugely unfair of them to lump so much blame on Karius when they never once looked like winning the game.

Basically, he's the reason they lost, but not the reason they didn't win. Hopefully that makes some sense.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It's funny, my Liverpool supporting brother (who is currently full of self-loathing:lol:) mentioned a few weeks back that Karius has this habit of pulling his arms in and not fully extending the way De Gea does. He certainly seemed to do it on Bale's first (not that there was much chance of saving it.) For the LFC fans here, is this actually a thing with him?
If that is De Gea i think he gets closer to saving it and may actually get a hand to it.

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
The one problem I have had with Karius for the entire time that he does not even try saving. He looks way too many time rooted to the spot. Should try to make at least a token try.

Every other goalie dives to the hopeless ones too but not Loris.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Bild are reporting that Karius apparently suffered from a concussion, that most likely occured, when he got checked by Ramos. That would pretty much explain his mistakes. Liverpool apparently sent him to Boston, where he got evaluated. From 30 tests they ran with him, 26 showed clear signs of a concussion.
I would link the article here, but it is behind a paywall.

If true, that’s quite negligent from the Liverpool docs. As soon as a player shows even the smallest symptoms of a concussion, he should immediately be subbed and further evaluated.

I still feel extremely sorry for the guy. But maybe this leads to a reevaluation of how concussions are treated in football.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Bild are reporting that Karius apparently suffered from a concussion, that most likely occured, when he got checked by Ramos. That would pretty much explain his mistakes. Liverpool apparently sent him to Boston, where he got evaluated. From 30 tests they ran with him, 26 showed clear signs of a concussion.

If true, that’s quite negligent from the Liverpool docs. As soon as a player shows even the smallest symptoms of a concussion, he should immediately be subbed and further evaluated.

I still feel extremely sorry for the guy. But maybe this leads to a reevaluation of how concussions are treated in football.
IIRC German media ran a story immediately after the final. Shame nobody will ever remember that Karius wasn't fully fit so to speak.

RedCurry

So Ramos injured Liverpool's best player and their goalkeeper?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

He wasn't checked after the elbow incident occurred. There was no break in play.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Video of the incident indicates that Ramos was pushed by VVD. Ramos’ elbow was off his body immediately after the push, but he was clearly looking away from Karius. It was simply an unfortunate coming together of bodies that could be the explanation of such severe gaffes of Karius’ part.

I agree that concussions need to be looked at much more closely.

RedCurry

That‘s what it looks like. But that was obviously in no way what he wanted. :angel:
Grade A cnut, but knows what it takes to win these big games.

I would've loved to see him trying these antics with someone a bit more old school like Zlatan.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Video of the incident indicates that Ramos was pushed by VVD. Ramos’ elbow was off his body immediately after the push, but he was clearly looking away from Karius. It was simply an unfortunate coming together of bodies that could be the explanation of such severe gaffes of Karius’ part.

I agree that concussions need to be looked at much more closely.
Do you have a gif or video of that scene? I remember it differently. But before I continue to talk this negatively about Ramos, I guess it would be better to check again.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

IIRC German media ran a story immediately after the final. Shame nobody will ever remember that Karius wasn't fully fit so to speak.
I really do hope Liverpool bear this in mind and give Karius another season as number 1

;)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Do you have a gif or video of that scene? I remember it differently. But before I continue to talk this negatively about Ramos, I guess it would be better to check again.

This is a pretty good one with some close ups.

Schneckerl

I never had a concussion myself, but it's often the case that you get one without being immediately aware of it and it just fecks up your cognition and attention right?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That's a terrible angle.
Only one of which I am aware. To me, Ramos’ tumble after coming in contact with Karius is the symptom of being pushed. You can also see the end of VVD’s arm extension of the push.

Morpheus 7

Let it go Karius, your shit and must have been concussed since you joined. Nobody plays the victim card quite like Liverpool.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I never had a concussion myself, but it's often the case that you get one without being immediately aware of it and it just fecks up your cognition and attention right?
Yes.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I am a GK & I am getting over a minor concussion that I received from a shot to my face from roughly five yards away in an indoor match. Didn’t lose consciousness, but completely forgot where I lived and had to use Waze to help me drive home.

Looking back on my football playing days, if this is was a minor concussion, I have definitely endured several.

With me, it has been as ‘mild’ as a mental fuzziness, minor loss of coordination, and general lethargy, almost like never being able to wake up fully, to being knocked unconscious, bouts of vertigo, and temporary memory loss.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I am a GK & I am getting over a minor concussion that I received from a shot to my face from roughly five yards away in an indoor match. Didn’t lose consciousness, but completely forgot where I lived and had to use Waze to help me drive home.

Looking back on my football playing days, if this is was a minor concussion, I have definitely endured several.

With me, it has been as ‘mild’ as a mental fuzziness, minor loss of coordination, and general lethargy, almost like never being able to wake up fully, to being knocked unconscious, bouts of vertigo, and temporary memory loss.
My experiences exactly. It would be a next to perfect explanation for the first goal. The complete lack of awareness for what’s happening around him, is completely typical for a concussion.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
My experiences exactly. It would be a next to perfect explanation for the first goal. The complete lack of awareness for what’s happening around him, is completely typical for a concussion.
Karius must have been concussed for 6 months, because he's been flapping at shots for ages.

Maybe Dzeko snuck in a cheeky elbow when the ref wasn't looking?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
His cockup on Bale’s long range shot screams to me of being just a bit off physically and mentally, a condition that could have easily been caused by getting his bell rung.

Just don’t know how concussions would be dealt with in world football. The NFL has finally been pushed into testing for concussions during games; it is far easier for NFL teams to test for them due to the massive size of rosters and the game play stopping, on average, every eight seconds. There would be massive play and time stoppages, the potential need for more substitutions, and increased specialized medical personnel both in the teams and at every match.

Schneckerl

Let it go Karius, your shit and must have been concussed since you joined. Nobody plays the victim card quite like Liverpool.
He's not a good keeper that's for sure from watching him the whole season- the first goal looked like something someone with brain damage would do though :D

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Karius must have been concussed for 6 months, because he's been flapping at shots for ages.

Maybe Dzeko snuck in a cheeky elbow when the ref wasn't looking?
What do mistakes from the past have to do with this?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
German newspaper creating a piece to defend a german player under a german manager. Add to this that Karius has a history of making these types of mistakes (he kicked the ball out for a corner from a goal kick against Sunderland...).

Then you have to find proof of causality. Where is the evidence that Karius was concussed by Ramos...the scan was done after the final so the injury could have happened at any point on the day. According to the article, the Liverpool medical staff were concerned after the game and so sent him to get scanned...so thas negligence for letting him go on for so long with a possible concussion.

It is possible that Karius had a concussion from the Ramos elbow, but not based off the evidence available.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
German newspaper creating a piece to defend a german player under a german manager. Add to this that Karius has a history of making these types of mistakes (he kicked the ball out for a corner from a goal kick against Sunderland...).

Then you have to find proof of causality. Where is the evidence that Karius was concussed by Ramos...the scan was done after the final so the injury could have happened at any point on the day. According to the article, the Liverpool medical staff were concerned after the game and so sent him to get scanned...so thas negligence for letting him go on for so long with a possible concussion.

It is possible that Karius had a concussion from the Ramos elbow, but not based off the evidence available.
So Liverpool had him fligh to Boston and take 30 different tests on him, 26 of which indicated a concussion, just so Bild could write a small article about it, put it behind their paywall, where only few people even read it, just to defend a German goalkeeper? I don’t think so.
I think from what we’re reading and from what was rumoured immediately after the game, it is more likely than not, actually almost certain, that he was concussed. Looking at the game, it is more likely than not, that the concussion was caused by Ramos (wether purposely or not remains unclear). It’s not that important, actually. Important is, that we by now can say almost with certainty, that Karius suffered a concussion.
The very second we have that knowledge or even indication, I think it’s highly insensitive to keep on criticizing him for this game. Especially as those two blunders fit perfectly to the symptomatology of a concussion. I think it’s highly unfair and distasteful to keep mocking or criticizing him. Any other game he played is fair game. But this one should be excluded from any criticism whatsoever.
At least that’s how I see it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So Liverpool had him fligh to Boston and take 30 different tests on him, 26 of which indicated a concussion, just so Bild could write a small article about it, put it behind their paywall, where only few people even read it, just to defend a German goalkeeper? I don’t think so.
I think from what we’re reading and from what was rumoured immediately after the game, it is more likely than not, actually almost certain, that he was concussed. Looking at the game, it is more likely than not, that the concussion was caused by Ramos (wether purposely or not remains unclear). It’s not that important, actually. Important is, that we by now can say almost with certainty, that Karius suffered a concussion.
The very second we have that knowledge or even indication, I think it’s highly insensitive to keep on criticizing him for this game. Especially as those two blunders fit perfectly to the symptomatology of a concussion. I think it’s highly unfair and distasteful to keep mocking or criticizing him. Any other game he played is fair game. But this one should be excluded from any criticism whatsoever.
Not what I said at all. All of this is based on RUMOURS that Karius got tested and was positive for a concussion. God knows how media outlets found out the exact details of these tests, down to the number of tests he took, how many came back positive and also the exact doctor that saw over his case.

Then you have the problem of whether the Ramos incident even caused the concussion. Since the test was done well after the game, it's impossible to know what caused the concussion. He could have gotten it on a different set piece, he could have landed awkwardly and hit his head on the ground. He could have got it after the game.

Those two blunders do not fit a concussion unless you are extremely biased and looking towards a concussion as an assumption (was Ulreich also concussed when he lost co-ordination of his hand and legs against Madrid as well???). Otherwise, you would have to conclude that Karius was concussed against Roma when he made a very similar blunder. Or the countless other blunders that he made.

0161_UNITED

Then it’s Liverpool’s medical and management staff at fault for not putting him through a proper concussion protocol.

Sigma

That would make sense and vindicate Karius to be honest.

Switch

Because it’s an identical situation and he couldn’t deal with it when he was at 100%.

If it was a mistake as you said, then what reason is there to suggest this wasn’t another mistake? I think it’s just a weakness of his.