Louis Van Gaal appointed Dutch manager for the third time.

Wasn't Di Maria his 1st choice? Or schweinsteiger? Or Depay? Or even Rojo? Didn't Kroos said LVG canceled his transfer? Yeah we failed with getting Ramos, Muller (two non-sellable players) and Neymar, but this doesn't excuse that he wouldnt see that Rooney was a championship player. And do we honestly believe that LVG and neymar would get along?

He is/was a good manager. But he lost the league to Leicester, while we were first in November, was outclassed by Klopp in Europa League (who was just few months in his job), and he couldn't finish top 4.
Yeah I don’t dispute he was over the hill by the time he got to us.

Di Maria was a great signing without hindsight to be fair, if he had managed to settle into the country, he would of been a great player. I just don’t think there is any way that old Schweinsteiger and hot head Rojo were his number one targets. Sure he obviously agreed to them in the end but I choose to believe Van Gaal that Utd couldn’t get the targets he wanted.

No doubt some of the signings were his such as Depay and Blind but they were hardly huge money transfers and have gone on to be good players. I would of loved to off seen him given a few more big money signings like Ole got, think his time with us would have been totally different.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No tweet from his best comment where he said it was completely unprecedented for the NT manager to talk so much to his players, after having scheduled 7 player conversations on one day, and 6 on the next. :lol:

This is just nonsense, he's worked with far better players at Ajax, Barca and Holland than he had at United.
Did we even have one player that would get into the Ajax 95 side?

He failed, because he kept some shite, signed shite and the academy was shite. He needed structure at the club like he has had for most of coaching career. Even then, I'm doubtful he would've been able to compete with Pep or Klopp, but I don't think he'd have struggled for top 4 the way he did.
Different times managing in the 90s and now. Different to manage the national team and club football too. At United, he didn't exactly have a good team. And the players who were the most disappointing were guys like Di Maria, while the "average" or "young" players (and Young) were the ones who played better under him. I think he struggled to man manage high reputation players in today's world and that's why he couldn't bring the most out of them, so had to go with worse players which means his tactics had a ceiling.

Irwin99

Those quotes are exactly why I liked him the most of all our post SAF managers: A proper old school coach with a vision and seemingly a very decent (if somewhat difficult) man. The football was shite here there's no denying that but I'm inclined to believe him when he said that the players he got were often "7th choice" on his list of wanted players.

He's a good man and I hope he does well with Holland.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I don’t dispute he was over the hill by the time he got to us.

Di Maria was a great signing without hindsight to be fair, if he had managed to settle into the country, he would of been a great player. I just don’t think there is any way that old Schweinsteiger and hot head Rojo were his number one targets. Sure he obviously agreed to them in the end but I choose to believe Van Gaal that Utd couldn’t get the targets he wanted.

No doubt some of the signings were his such as Depay and Blind but they were hardly huge money transfers and have gone on to be good players. I would of loved to off seen him given a few more big money signings like Ole got, think his time with us would have been totally different.
LVG said he tried Di Maria in all front 3 in his system and it didn't work out. sometimes a player just doesn't fit the system. Di Maria is a big name player there is no question about it, but it didn't work.

Foxbatt

The biggest mistake LVG made was that he thought the players United had were good enough to play the way he wanted them to play. I do not think that he ever thought he would become the manager of Manchester United. So obviously when he was forced to have Giggs as his assistant manager. Then there was no DOF to help him with the transfers.
I agree with the OP who said that he should have been given at least one more year but even if he got the 4th spot he would have been sacked as Woodward wanted Jose to take over. He overestimated the quality needed in the PL and the task he had on his hand.

darko

Football isn't netball. His formation/tactics were too static. Whatever happened to the Dutch and their total football?

Stadjer

Football isn't netball. His formation/tactics were too static. Whatever happened to the Dutch and their total football?
We dont have the players to play that style of football. We got two good central defenders (de Ligt, de Vrij) and one world class (Virgil). We have one world class midfielder (Frenkie de Jong) and a good one who went to the wrong club (Wijnaldum). We got a good striker but who also needs freedom and basically does what he wants (Memphis). That is not the right material to dominate opponents and play creative football.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don’t know his specific case but prognosis is usually quite high to achieve full remission from prostate cancer. Hope he gets well soon, one of my favorite characters in football.

TheHeya

Good luck to him. The Louis van Gaal army is right behind him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I assume he's going to continue with the Dutch side until after the world cup?