Louis Van Gaal appointed Dutch manager for the third time.

Revaulx

Awful news. My favourite post-SAF manager, despite obvious flaws. Really hope he pulls through.

MUFC OK

:( that sucks, favourite manager post SAF
Gave genuine opportunities to youth, axed Di Maria when he was fecking around, gave us Marcus and Martial who were flying and won our first FA Cup in 12 years. Treated disgracefully in the end.

Elpidios

Such a shock to hear, all the best LvG and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery!

OleGunnar20

Cracking character. Louis Van Gaals red army are behind you all the way, get well soon.

CM

Sad news. Hope he makes a full recovery

Flexdegea

Terrible news.

Really like Van Gaal. His end of year speech was legendary

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The most historically revised man. He had his part in damaging the club, but people are rewriting history.

Paul_Scholes18

The most historically revised man. He had his part in damaging the club, but people are rewriting history.
Yes he was shit for us. Still wish him well.

His transfers was shit. He coached the team to play a very boring attacking style without too many risks.

He lacked a basic understanding of how to use the squad. Kept trying Rooney as 9 or 10 when it did not work.

stu_1992

Very sad news to hear he has been suffering with this. Hope he can overcome it, but this thing is no joke. Fair play to him for continuing the job.

TheRedHearted

LVG said he tried Di Maria in all front 3 in his system and it didn't work out. sometimes a player just doesn't fit the system. Di Maria is a big name player there is no question about it, but it didn't work.
That’s a fairy tale. Di Maria had the third most assist in the league. Imagine if we got him clicking the next year..

Devil’s Trident

Or maybe people are just being nice towards him and wishing him well after finding out he has prostate cancer you know, trying to remember only good things about an ex united manager under whom we won the FA cup and focusing only on the positives rather than throwing shit at this time towards someone and enjoying in the misery like you would it seems judging by your post.

If you have nothing good to say then you can leave this thread instead of complaining why everyone is praising him. He was here for only 2 years and It’s been 6 years since he left and you still hate the man. What a sad existence. Thankfully the caf is not like you and wishing him well after finding about his cancer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

Irwin99

Really like him a lot and I hope he pulls through. Awful news.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
His transfers was shit. He coached the team to play a very boring attacking style without too many risks.
I think he was a bit like Sarri for us in that the football was boring but at the same time he layed the foundation for a transition to a more modern style.

I think the key difference is we after continued with similar appointments (in terms of proffered style of play) whereas you went for a polar opposite.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm always a bit sad when I hear the way Man Utd fans speak about LVG.

I felt like he was actually very unlucky in his time at Utd, and did great despite the injury crisis and the team he had at hand.
His transfers failed, but he got great results with what he had.

Also he was laying the foundations Utd needed but which were undone by the appointment of Mourinho.

After the success at Ajax in the 90's Lvg laid the foundations for Barca, Bayern and is the man who debuted countless of world class players over the past 30 years. He even won the Dutch division with AZ of all teams.
Utd would have have been in a better place today had they let him finish his project, and gotten a more progressive coach to build on his foundations rather than Mourinho.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
What? He looks younger and healthier than he did when managing us.

Hope he gets better.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Just bringing my post from the United forum thread. Guy is a badass.

Just saw the news and was a bit shocked tbh. However, even in coming out with this news, there's some typical Dutch badass LvG quotes :lol: . The article doesn't mention it but in other places, I read he has had this since the end of 2020.

You may say anything about the man but he certainly has the backbone of a United manager.

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...state-cancer-diagnosis_sto8871598/story.shtml

"You don’t die from prostate cancer, at least not in 90 per cent of the cases.

"It is usually other underlying diseases that kill you. But I had a pretty aggressive form, I got irradiated 25 times. Then you have a lot of management to do in order to go through life."

"I did have preferential treatment in the hospital. I was allowed in through the back door when I went to an appointment and was immediately pushed into another room. I have been treated wonderfully."

"You will of course tell your friends and relatives about it. The fact that nothing has come out yet also says something about my environment. That’s great."

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Always liked LVG. Hope he overcomes this.

It’d take boring but assured football any day over our current gutless performances.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Like most of our other managers, his tenure had its high points and its low points. This isn't the time or place to discuss them.

Praying for a full recovery.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I was just saying yesterday that he looks really skinny.

Kopral Jono

I felt like he was actually very unlucky in his time at Utd, and did great despite the injury crisis and the team he had at hand.

Also he was laying the foundations Utd needed but which were undone by the appointment of Mourinho.

After the success at Ajax in the 90's Lvg laid the foundations for Barca, Bayern and is the man who debuted countless of world class players over the past 30 years. He even won the Dutch division with AZ of all teams.
Utd would have have been in a better place today had they let him finish his project, and gotten a more progressive coach to build on his foundations rather than Mourinho.
Great post. This, too, is exactly where I stand with regard to Van Gaal. I was gutted when he got the sack.

I wish him well.

CraftySoAndSo

Awful news to wake up to, hope he pulls through and makes a full recovery.
What the hell is the matter with you? The man's been diagnosed with an illness and your first thought instead of wishing him well is to continue bashing him. He's not a criminal or a terrible human being, he's a football manager who came to this club wanting to succeed and tried to implement a philosophy. It didn't work but that's football and that's life, that doesn't mean it's ok to make callous statements at a time when it's really not called for. Thankfully everyone here has the decency to think of his health first and foremost irregardless of their opinions him and so what people are choosing to remember good moments in a time like this. If you can't say anything nice here then don't say anything at all, there's plenty of other threads on the caf that are filled with negativity, i suggest you go and spew it there instead cos it's not needed here right now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
All the best to him and his family. Hope he has a full recovery!

Bennie Blanco

He's said on multiple occasions that United didn't get the players that he wanted. He was actually astounded by the fact that the club failed in getting any of his targets in. In retrospect I believe him 100%.

Said last night that he wanted to sign Mane from Southampton.

Skills

Snitch
That’s a fairy tale. Di Maria had the third most assist in the league. Imagine if we got him clicking the next year..
Him trying to play Di Maria up front was a bit shocking. Di Maria throughout his career has been an awful finisher or goal scorer, but a great creative outlet. It was never going to end well

David_De_Heya

Those commenting on how bad LVG was as manager for us, at a time when he has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer, should receive immediate bans IMO. Everything that's wrong with the internet, the man is a human being.

Reactions: Invictus

Elcabron

Get well Louis. He was very entertaining that's for sure. Perhaps tried to do too much too quickly in terms of over hauling the squad but at least he tried.

Treated very badly by the club in the way that he was sacked. Hope he beats this and goes onto do great things again with the dutch national team.

Louis Van Gaals red and white army.