Louis Van Gaal - Press Conference vs Burnley - Feb 10th

Varun

Staff
Not a meltdown, but looked like a tit, he shouldn't even have regarded Allardyce's words, especially as it doesn't even seem like the fat one said it with malice, but more banter.

At least when Fergie did it, he always looked 100% in control and had a pedigree to back him up
He is a tit. Get used to it. He's a pompous, know it all, havent you seen it when he treats journos like kids when talking of certain tactics?

Brophs

The One and Only
Amazed people think this is a sign of Van Gaal losing it.

He's an arrogant, smug guy who. He has this "know it all" side of him which also comes across when he treats journos like children regarding tactics. Van Gaal could never take a dig about playing style from Sam fecking Allardyce.

The way he has handed everyone a copy of the stats, their analysis and asked them to send Big Sam a copy too to understand it is a big feck you to everyone. I'm glad he didnt joke it off and rather put the twat in his place.
I don't think he's losing it. Nor do I think it was a good idea. Then again I think these managerial 'shows of strength' are one of the most overplayed, overhyped pieces of nonsense surrounding the game at the moment, which is saying something.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Despite all evidence for this game and the season to date suggesting otherwise. We may play more long balls than we had done under Fergie but that doesn't make us a long ball team. As LVG correctly points out long ball football suggests lumping it up to our forwards which West Ham tried to do more frequently than us. Switching the play, which we do regularly, does not constitute long ball football.
In % terms yes-but United still had more long balls forward than West Ham. To me that's more indicative of the style of play than % of passes.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So you missed the part in your previous post where you said "so do we switch the play a lot"
I don't actually think we switch the play enough or in the right way no, but thats another story.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm not arguing that we played more long balls than Westham and niether did Big Sam for that matter. However we play far too many long balls for a United team IMO. Its not just switching the play too, its balls being played up to the forwards too 49.9% of our long balls were to the forwards.
No it's clearly implied though, you don't tend to incinuate something if you beleive yourself to be guilty of it as well.

We have the highest percentage of accurate long balls in Europe (facht), unless Falcao and RVP are the best target men in the world it probably means the term 'long ball' is a little more misleading than you are suggesting.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
This was the trailer to the actual movie. The big meltdown is just around the corner...just hang on for it.

Arsehat needs to get his head out of his ass and have us play some proper football instead of getting peeved by Big Sam's comments and giving his own version with a "Shtats" sheet.

Would have loved it if made some comment after we gave Burnley a hiding by playing some proper football. This is just so immature, it's unbelievable. Some big club manager he is, our Louie!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As a statistician said on BBC Fivelive only last week, possession stats are amongst the most inappropriately cited in thee sport. West Ham could, and probably should have been comfortably in front long before we enabled the Fellaini Emergencies Device. JMO of course.

What does it matter how their goal came about, the reason that this tory has legs is because United are indeed employing the long ball to an uncharacteristic degree.

Louis either shouldn't have responded to the barb in the first place, or simply stated that the tactic had salvaged a point and left it at that. Van Gaal would have had no difficulty in stonewalling any follow-ups after all. Both this season and last, Allardyce has come across like a buffoon or child with these "I'm better than you" pronouncemetns.

Ah it's that brilliant logic where our chances on goal count as misses and the opposition's count towards who should have won the game.

Van Persie should have had two, Falcao should have had one and instead of playing long ball we'd have been passing the ball about picking them off on the counter. Instead they scored from a set peice and sat back into their box.

DevilRed

Love how he calls him Big Sam :lol:

Is LVG finally cracking? Or is this some master ploy to take the spotlight away from our underachieving strikeforce?

R'hllor

Some here just could not wait a chance...comparing with Rafa thing...laughing at their own manager as he is loosing it. So is his data incorrect? He lost it or in his head Big Sam lied,maybe he does not like lies,what was it?

Varun

Staff
I don't think he's losing it. Nor do I think it was a good idea. Then again I think these managerial 'shows of strength' are one of the most overplayed, overhyped pieces of nonsense surrounding the game at the moment, which is saying something.
It depends on the person really. The likes of Van Gaal, Mourinho etc are never going to take a dig lying down. Their arrogance plays a role in them being what they are. Its just how Van Gaal is and always has been. Remember a press conference earlier in the season when he said something along the lines of "Now you all learnt a new play style" with a smug smile to the journos after lecturing them about a formation or something? Its just how he is.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Some here just could not wait a chance...comparing with Rafa thing...laughing at their own manager as he is loosing it. So is his data incorrect? He lost it or in his head Big Sam lied,maybe he does not like lies,what was it?
He has taken the bait is the problem

Even if we dont think what he is saying is wrong or whatever. The fact is now its an issue. The press are loving it and so are opposition fans.

"Long Ball Utd" will be under quite a bit of scrutiny now and LVG has added to this.

Empire

Yeah, it he exact same as Rafas meltdown. :rolleyes:

I can't believe how many think these two are comparable.

He isn't having a meltdown, he is telling the media and Big Sam they know nothing about ball possession play.

Water Melon

FFS, Big Sam must be pissing himself laughing. LvG did take it too seriously. The face of the press officer is priceless though :D

JP77

van Gaal is fantastic. Brilliant to have a character like that as the manager that won't take shit from anybody about himself or his team. And for the record, he's not even wrong in what he's saying either, not surprised by the usual suspects on here embarrassing themselves though.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No it's clearly implied though, you don't tend to incinuate something if you beleive yourself to be guilty of it as well.

We have the highest percentage of accurate long balls in Europe (facht), unless Falcao and RVP are the best target men in the world it probably means the term 'long ball' is a little more misleading than you are suggesting.
He actually said that he himself is accused of being direct... but anyway I guess we pass the ball really well and play a great passing game which opens teams up.

ivaldo

In % terms yes-but United still had more long balls forward than West Ham. To me that's more indicative of the style of play than % of passes.
No its more indicative of us having more possession.

if in a boxing match one boxer throws 800 punches, 100 of them being haymakers and the other boxer throws 100 punches and 90 of them are haymakers, which boxer would you suggest is the slugger?

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Not a meltdown. But, are we going to get a point-by-point rebuttal by LvG of the opponent's manager comments every week now?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He's absolutely loving that :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
It depends on the person really. The likes of Van Gaal, Mourinho etc are never going to take a dig lying down. Their arrogance plays a role in them being what they are. Its just how Van Gaal is and always has been. Remember a press conference earlier in the season when he said something along the lines of "Now you all learnt a new play style" with a smug smile to the journos after lecturing them about a formation or something? Its just how he is.
That's another one of those things I don't really buy into. For example, I think Mourinho is perfectly capable of doing his job without embarking on his one man world tour of bellendery. The media love it because it does their jobs for them. The supporters love it because it's artificial, sensationalised drama. Honestly, I think they'd all be better of watching the wrestling. At least those cnuts know they're fecking ridiculous.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
I love Van Gaal. Such a great rebuttal, putting everyone in their place. He's definitely the right guy for us.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
FFS, Big Sam must be pissing himself laughing. LvG did take it too seriously. The face of the press officer is priceless though :D
I don't think he takes it seriously at all, he's grinning away almost laughing at times.

Classical Mechanic

Even if we dont think what he is saying is wrong or whatever. The fact is now its an issue. The press are loving it and so are opposition fans.

"Long Ball Utd" will be under quite a bit of scrutiny now and LVG has added to this.
What matters is getting results, not media or rival fan narratives. Do you really see this interview negatively affecting our play?

ivaldo

He actually said that he himself is accused of being direct... but anyway I guess we pass the ball really well and play a great passing game which opens teams up.
Yes because that stat is all that is relevant when it comes to our passing game. The tempo of our passing and how quickly we move the ball on is our problem, I thought that was pretty obvious.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
What matters is getting results, not media or rival fan narratives. Do you really see this interview negatively affecting our play?
Maybe?

But I see it becoming a thing that will be analysed a lot more now by the SKY and the media. Could that have a negative affect? Perhaps.

R'hllor

Look,maybe you are right,just it does not sit well with me reaction of some.Looking that clip,its so far of Fat Rafa rant,cant not see how is that the same thing.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Absolutely cringeworthy and pathetic can't believe people think this is funny or smart buy LVG, it's embarrassing.

Pretty sure everyone associated with any other premier league team is laughing at us right now. If Brenda Rodgers did anything like this we would mock him no end.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
No its more indicative of us having more possession.

if in a boxing match one boxer throws 800 punches, 100 of them being haymakers and the other boxer throws 100 punches and 90 of them are haymakers, which boxer would you suggest is the slugger?
I don't think it's analgous. If a CB gets a ball from the keeper-makes a 25 yard pass to his CB partner, who passes it back; followed by a long forward pass-that results in three long passes-33.33% forward.

Another team has the keeper pass to the CB-who makes a long forward pass-1 long pass, 100% forward.

In both cases the attacking team did essentially the same thing, IMO.

Varun

Staff

Taken the bait?

He's basically told everyone that Big Sam has no clue what he's talking about and handed them all a copy to see and share with Big Sam to prove it.

That's another one of those things I don't really buy into. For example, I think Mourinho is perfectly capable of doing his job without embarking on his one man world tour of bellendery. The media love it because it does their jobs for them. The supporters love it because it's artificial, sensationalised drama. Honestly, I think they'd all be better of watching the wrestling. At least those cnuts know they're fecking ridiculous.
Their arrogance stems from self belief. That is critical. I'm not talking about the nonsense Mourinho does at times with blaming the ref, ball boy, crying foul over mistreatment of his side etc. I'm talking about their utmost belief about how they play and the arrogance that they are right.

Water Melon

I don't think he takes it seriously at all, he's grinning away almost laughing at times.
Lets agree to disagree. The tone of his voice, his gestures, the way he prepared those charts do show that actually Big Sam touched LvG's nerve. At the press conference he looks triumphant as if he has achieved some sort of a victory, proved everyone wrong. The face of our own press officer shows how awkward and weird she feels.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Ah it's that brilliant logic where our chances on goal count as misses and the opposition's count towards who should have won the game.

Van Persie should have had two, Falcao should have had one and instead of playing long ball we'd have been passing the ball about picking them off on the counter. Instead they scored from a set peice and sat back into their box.
So if you were a West Ham supporter, you wouldn't felt that your team missed an opportunity in the first half? Or that United were there for tht taking until roused into some semblance of activity in the second half?