Louis van Gaal's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think we'll be fine, not too worried about top four or anything, but three defeats in a row is terrible. No goals in three games? Sorry, I've defended him as much as anyone this year, but this is unacceptable.
Yep, three defeats in a row is terrible. It did come off the back of a run of excellent results though, results that practically sowed top 4 up for us. In that context reverting to Moyes comparisons and talking about sacking him is a bit much. Posters here are so flakey. :lol:

Zen

What in the actual feck am I watching here? Missed most of this and all I get is DiMaria lump balls to Fellaini for 10 minutes....

Oggmonster

Performance is bad but a bit of perspective ffs. If we'd won today we'd have been in 2nd place but we came up against a team who parked the bus and got an ultra flukey goal. We'll be fine.
But we're not winning and it looks like we won't win....so it doesn't really matter. Even if it wasn't for the goal it would still be 0-0 so hardly a brilliant result at home to WBA. If people can praise him for doing well they can criticise him when it goes wrong. We're on course to lose 3 on the spin and not score in any of them games. Some of the decisions are very odd....Fellaini as an out and out striker when we've got 3 natural strikers on the pitch is odd and he constantly does it. As is seemingly only bringing on Di MAria any tim we go a goal down.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Last 25/30 mins of this match I don't see how you can blame him. We've created more than a dozen great chances and nothing. What else can he do? 80% possession, good players getting in good positions, 1 shot all half conceded and it was going wide til deflected in.

First half was dire though.

Jev

So what do we make of this? Was it just a blip, our five or six good games? Are we optimistic or pessimistic about where he's taking us? I don't know what to think.

walkinhop

After the Chelsea game, this team has been mismanaged so badly... Say goodbye to top 4. Heard it here first....

In all seriousness though, why is LvG so stubborn with his ways?

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Back to square one. Looks like we've been found out.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
After the Chelsea game, this team has been mismanaged so badly... Say goodbye to top 4. Heard it here first....

In all seriousness though, why is LvG so stubborn with his ways?
Getting really really worried about top4 now!!

FromTheBench

Said from the start of the season but not finishing top four this season will be a bigger faliure than Moyes. Defo deserving sack.

Skills

Snitch
We've been found out. Possession crap doesn't work in the PL.

walkinhop

So what do we make of this? Was it just a blip, our five or six good games? Are we optimistic or pessimistic about where he's taking us? I don't know what to think.
If he stays next season, and i think he will, i am looking forward to Robben type of players or similar in terms of breaking defending teams. His time with us so far has been AVERAGE.

mu4c_20le

Maybe we should go back to a back five, two up front. At home we could have been more ambitious tonight, we just didn't have enough men in the box despite dominating possession.

Boycott

Is anyone else scared he'll spunk 100m for Bale and put him back at left back..:nervous:?

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The problem is van gaal and the fact that Carrick papered over his cracks while he was fit, look he has failed Di Maria and Falcao world class players dont become ordinary in a blink of a eye, his team is practically built around carrick, it ridiculous.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
3rd loss in a row and he just doesn't have an answer to teams parking the bus. I think this game has lost us top 4, we'll see. This was our most winnable game from our last 4 and we've bottled it. We've gone from having to win 2 games out of 4 to having to win 2 games out of 3, with one of them being Arsenal and the other Crystal Palace away.

Woody should start negotiating with Klopp just in case we don't make it.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Yep, three defeats in a row is terrible. It did come off the back of a run of excellent results though, results that practically sowed top 4 up for us. In that context reverting to Moyes comparisons and talking about sacking him is a bit much. Posters here are so flakey. :lol:
Normally I'd agree, but we're watching United's worst run of league form in a long time. Also, at the worst possible time, 4 points off Liverpool now, we've given them something to play for. I know the gap is probably too much (I think they'll drop 3-5 points) but we're essentially mirroring Newcastle at the moment.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You're right, of course. But today was a woeful performance, with some very strange managerial decisions. Criticism is inevitable and justified.
But we're not winning and it looks like we won't win....so it doesn't really matter. Even if it wasn't for the goal it would still be 0-0 so hardly a brilliant result at home to WBA. If people can praise him for doing well they can criticise him when it goes wrong. We're on course to lose 3 on the spin and not score in any of them games. Some of the decisions are very odd....Fellaini as an out and out striker when we've got 3 natural strikers on the pitch is odd and he constantly does it. As is seemingly only bringing on Di MAria any tim we go a goal down.
Oh yeah, it's totally fair to criticise him today, we played badly and he made some bizarre decisions.

Posters here are too quick to jump to extremes though. It's too much to say he needs to go a this stage, just like it was too much to say he was a genius a few weeks ago.

Now for all the "terrible post match interview" comments coming our way.....

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pressed the panic button at half time by moving Van Persie into midfield, and went downhill from there. Rattled.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
For me his is utterly useless, tactically inept, his substitutions are a joke and he has converted world class players into donkeys!!!

What does he do in training all week? Ffs he was out done by fckn Tony Pullis.

For me he needs to eff off!!!!!

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Yes it's his fault Myhill had the game of his life and RvP missed a penalty. The sheer amount of idiots on this place is annoying.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He needs to realise that possession and 4-3-3 isn't always needed, especially at home against teams that aren't interested in even having the ball.

JUPITER

Even if we make 4th spot, it should be looked at. At this rate we're may end up making it because Liverpool aren't much better although they are on a Stevie G high now.
I agree, it should be looked at. That was so poor, I'm really disappointed.

You're right, of course. But today was a woeful performance, with some very strange managerial decisions. Criticism is inevitable and justified.
Indeed. He has no answer against deep defending and playing big name players out of position has become a feature of this season.

It's not good enough.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Normally I'd agree, but we're watching United's worst run of league form in a long time. Also, at the worst possible time, 4 points off Liverpool now, we've given them something to play for. I know the gap is probably too much (I think they'll drop 3-5 points) but we're essentially mirroring Newcastle at the moment.
Ouch, when you put it like that.....

pseudo_canadian

So, our two top class strikers played in central midfield and we put Fellaini up top. That's your fecking plan for getting a goal? And you call yourself a tactical genius?

He's a fecking clown. Absolutely no plan B.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Yes it's his fault Myhill had the game of his life and RvP missed a penalty. The sheer amount of idiots on this place is annoying.
Three loses in a row plus a really pathetic performance. It's a trend.

Also LVG fecked up last summer by not buying another CM.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
8 fecking defeats and 3 on the bounce. We are back to the team he wants us to be. 3 good games in a row and this idiot starts talking up the title saying our bad start cost us, well feck me our ending is worst than our start.

Klopp is available just saying.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Can someone explain the justification of moving Rvp into midfield?

LVG is clueless in every aspect of the game!!

Art

Art the artist
There is no concept of his players taking a man on. No one is allowed to play intelligent one-two's or be creative and take some chances. It's always go for the safest pass up until it goes to the wings, then we cross the ball into the box more in hope than belief. Ridiculous. To play this style of football, you don't need star players.

Status
Not open for further replies.