Lucas da Silva | Signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Absolute

I think it's a matter of who is actually available and how they fit.

If there was a central midfielder of Moura's quality, who would take wages in our structure, who we could get for a similar fee, who wanted to come here, I think we would take it.
Except that all the 'midfielders' we've been seriously linked with in the last two years - Sneijder, Sanchez, Hazard and now Lucas - are of the attacking/winger variety. And we've been prepared to offer big money for them.

Strong evidence that Fergie's judgement of our needs differs from that of the fan's. If what he really wants is a CM in the Carrick mould, he's going about it in a strange way.

mufcwarm92

I reckon this'll be the end of it. Don't think we would budge more than a couple of million from that 30m - moving it up to 32m probably wouldn't be enough. Would be hard to justify smashing the transfer record for a target like this.

Bape

I don't think Lucas is worth £30M+ at all. If you're going to spunk that much, try to get Neymar. He's worth the extra few million. I'd be much more confident of turning him into a world class player under Fergie than Lucas. Surely Santos couldn't hold onto him if offered £35M. Expecting much more isn't realistic at all.
Neymar will cost at least £40m. Someone will pay that for him in a season or two as well, he's got a god-like status in Brazil.

Will Absolute

Neymar will cost at least £40m. Someone will pay that for him in a season or two as well, he's got a god-like status in Brazil.
In fairness, his status in Brazil isn't going to make European clubs bid any higher for him. Also, in a couple of years FFP may loom larger, which might result in a drop in the transfer market.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Except that all the 'midfielders' we've been seriously linked with in the last two years - Sneijder, Sanchez, Hazard and now Lucas - are of the attacking/winger variety. And we've been prepared to offer big money for them.

Strong evidence that Fergie's judgement of our needs differs from that of the fan's. If what he really wants is a CM in the Carrick mould, he's going about it in a strange way.
Yup. I don't think we've been serioulsy linked with a midfielder of that ilk all Summer. Simply put, it aint gunna happen.

mightberight

He clearly has both great faith in Anderson, Cleverley, and Powell, and knows he can get a lot out of Giggs and Scholes. When they're gone it's a dead cert that we'll bring someone in - the calibre depending on how well the former three are doing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yup. I don't think we've been serioulsy linked with a midfielder of that ilk all Summer. Simply put, it aint gunna happen.
Tbf the press know nothing. According to the Brazilian Media, we tabled the bid for Lucas quite one or two months ago. It has only came to light in just past two-three days.

From what I've read and heard, we operate very, very secretively. So there's a big chance that we're interested in a midfielder but haven't let any media get the wind of it.

Mainoldo

Tbf the press know nothing. According to the Brazilian Media, we tabled the bid for Lucas quite one or two months ago. It has only came to light in just past two-three days.

From what I've read and heard, we operate very, very secretively.
Well apparently their 80% or something ownership runs out soon. So I think a decision will be made soon. If not you'll probably find we'll bid for Eriksen, even though his agent says he wants to stay 20m under Ajax noses wont go unnoticed.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

From what I've read and heard, we operate very, very secretively.
True. But there's usually at least a whiff of something. There's been nothing though.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

Surely the media are unaware of many of our targets, besides the fact that at least half of everything they write is nonsense.

Count Orduck

I'd be sickened if we spunked thirty million quid on another overhyped flop from South America. Seriously, there are established world class players you could get for that.

You don't beat City by copying their transfer policy. Especially when you can't afford it, and you buy worse players.

FWIW I don't think there's any truth to these rumours, at least not the prices quoted. Maybe we were interested a few months back for half the cost.

Gee Male

I can't believe this thread is getting so much interest still.

Plainly obvious that it's not happening, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that we're paying that much for him.

It's not even that widely reported on from what I can see, seems to be almost no interest in the story so I'm not sure why it's being treated so seriously on here. A sure sign of a very slow summer I guess.

I've been following this story for a while now. I like the look of him as a player. He's got some serious ability, but still I don't quite feel like he's heading our way. Considering the way we've done transfers recently, if they would reject a supposed bid that high from us, we surely won't increase it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Manchester United have made ​​a very important proposal, exactly equal to 35 million euros. But they should offer more. For me there after Neymar and Lucas do not want to sell," said the director of the board of the San Paul, Marco Aurelio Cunha.

"Why should we deprive ourselves? We do not need the money, the Brazilian economy is fine, the tv pay us and we cannot complain. "

So really, nothing to do about Italian?

"No, at least until the Olympics, nothing will change from here. Better a strong player in the team than some extra cash in the bank; this is the thought of all of us. Where Inter is concerned, we have a good relationship. But business is business, and Lucas remains with us. "

(Source: FCInter1908)

buckooo1978

idiot. It will get to the point where we will walk away and the only offer on the table with be 15 million less than than that. Shut the feck up and take the cash while ts still there.
you sound desperate

have you seen him play many games (excluding you tube)

ciderman9000000

You can't have a go at the Sao Paulo director. If they don't need the money then why should they sell? It seems that the Brazilians can afford to keep their best players in Brazil nowadays, well, good luck to them; European clubs have no god given right to just open the chequebook and take whoever we please, who can blame a club for telling us our offer isn't good enough if that genuinely is the case?

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
I see where you're coming from, cider but the Brazilian league is a long way off being able to keep the top players for any sustained period of time. It's not about having the money to keep them, you have to factor in the prestige of playing in Europe. It's the dream of most players to play in a top European club and I dare say Lucas, Neymar et al will be no different. If they don't move this season, it will be next.

Now what the Sao Paulo director is doing is spot on. He know the player will want to move eventually, but is not in a position where he has to accept an offer below his valuation of the player. What I would be wary of in his shoes is, Lucas staying, having a bad season and his value plummeting.

gza the genius

Now what the Sao Paulo director is doing is spot on. He know the player will want to move eventually, but is not in a position where he has to accept an offer below his valuation of the player. What I would be wary of in his shoes is, Lucas staying, having a bad season and his value plummeting.
If money truly isn't an issue why would they care if his price plummets though?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If they don't want to sell why did he say, "Manchester United have made ​​a very important proposal, exactly equal to 35 million euros. But they should offer more."

Those are the words of a man trying to start a bidding war.

He'll likely wait till end after the Olympics and the end of the transfer window to see if Real or someone else will come in. And then he'll probably take the best deal on the table.

Heffo

If money truly isn't an issue why would they care if his price plummets though?
Because if they are resigned to selling him, his price plummeting would more than likely mean he'd just had a bad season. So if they kept him an extra season, he ended up playing poorly and then on top of that they got 15 million less than what they had been offered a year before it would be a bad bit of business.

They might not be in dire need of money, but I doubt that they're so wealthy that they wouldn't mind losing out on that sort of figure

Heffo

If they don't want to sell why did he say, "Manchester United have made ​​a very important proposal, exactly equal to 35 million euros. But they should offer more."

Those are the words of a man trying to start a bidding war.

He'll likely wait till end after the Olympics and the end of the transfer window to see if Real or someone else will come in. And then he'll probably take the best deal on the table.
But going by reports in Brazil by then Sao Paulo's stake would be lowered to 70% from the 80% it is now. Even if he has a great Olympics I can't see a team bidding much more than our supposed most recent bid. I think if they want to sell this summer they need to have it complete relatively soon.

I think you're right in saying they want to start a bidding war, but if someone like a Real Madrid or a Chelsea don't get involved soon I could see United having a bid similar to the latest one accepted, provided they made that bid in the first place and they are still interested after being knocked back.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
"Manchester United have made ​​a very important proposal, exactly equal to 35 million euros. But they should offer more. For me there after Neymar and Lucas do not want to sell," said the director of the board of the San Paul, Marco Aurelio Cunha.

"Why should we deprive ourselves? We do not need the money, the Brazilian economy is fine, the tv pay us and we cannot complain. "

So really, nothing to do about Italian?

"No, at least until the Olympics, nothing will change from here. Better a strong player in the team than some extra cash in the bank; this is the thought of all of us. Where Inter is concerned, we have a good relationship. But business is business, and Lucas remains with us. "

I think it all lies to start a bidding war with Inter,highly doubt Utd have bid that amount.

Jinn

Is Stam still working for us over in Brazil?
What's his take on this kid?
Any quotes from him?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Did you not feel we could have used a bit more offensive punch at times in our European adventures last season?
I think there are more pressing needs than doing well in the European adventures and if we lacked offensive punch we signed Kagawa and Welbeck has improved.
Attacking has never been a problem for United.This player despite all his promising talent would be a pointless signing

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
you sound desperate

have you seen him play many games (excluding you tube)
I haven't seen him at all, but if the club is indeed trying to start a bidding war and it doesn't eventuate, you risk pissing off the current highest bidder. I'd honestly wouldn't be against telling them the deals off. What do they have left after that? 20 million bid from Inter after United were as high as 35.

While these clubs may not have to sell, they A: don't have the champions league and B: are not Manchester United or Real Madrid or Barcelona. Russian league and Chinese League can keep their players as well, but players want to play at the big clubs. Money may talk but so does ambition

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
"Manchester United have made ​​a very important proposal, exactly equal to 35 million euros. But they should offer more.
Hah! I doubt anyone is going to come in with a higher bid even if he has an amazing olympics.

Godfather

Fair fecks to the president for not selling him but feck me, no way anyone is going to bid even more for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.