Lucas Paquetá | Charged with misconduct (allegedly deliberately getting booked)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Just wished City had purchased him last season. I agree, likely an 18-24 month ban.
He would have been another crossed name on a list. Would not make a dent for the cheats.
Lopetegui must be thrilled, hasn't sat at his desk yet and already lost his best player :lol:

Cpt Negative

Someone called this out on Twitter before one of the games - asked Why Paqeuta was massively odds on for a card before the game even started - when most players who are good for a booking are 2/1 at the shortest.

clearly lots of people had lumped on early

Sara125

Someone called this out on Twitter before one of the games - asked Why Paqeuta was massively odds on for a card before the game even started - when most players who are good for a booking are 2/1 at the shortest.

clearly lots of people had lumped on early
Apparently the way that the betting company in Brazil cottoned on was that a bunch of people from his hometown suddenly made new accounts just to deposit the maximum amounts for the day, to bet on him to get carded

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Would this be a ban in the PL only?
Some kid got banned for life recently by the NBA.

I know a guy who works at a sports betting company purely looking into abnormal betting patterns. There are some obvious ones to look out for, like yellows, while you wouldn't really look at who scores first/next goal (other than blatant own goals or very dodgy goalkeeping). He says basketball is the worst by a mile, particularly in lesser leagues/tiers, all sorts of stuff that can be manipulated.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

I know a guy who works at a sports betting company purely looking into abnormal betting patterns. There are some obvious ones to look out for, like yellows, while you wouldn't really look at who scores first/next goal (other than blatant own goals or very dodgy goalkeeping). He says basketball is the worst by a mile, particularly in lesser leagues/tiers, all sorts of stuff that can be manipulated.
Theres an interesting documentary on netflix about it where a talented guy ruined his basketball career. Forgot the name of it now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Going to hazard a guess he had no idea of the consequences should he get caught. And if not that, then you wouldn't be surprised if some story about coercion comes out as a defence.

This guy has the talent to play for a top 4 club; what was on offer for him to jeopardise everything like this?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
If found guilty of the four offences, he’s getting a lifetime ban. Even if he’s found guilty of one offence he’ll be lucky to play again before his mid thirties, so may as well be a lifetime ban.

Think his career is over, barring some unforeseen defence.

The Purley King

I work for an online gambling company.
We have teams of people that monitor this type of thing.
You might get away with a couple of £50 punts at 4/1 or something for someone to get booked, but anything meaningful on a market where usually nobody bets large amounts immediately draws attention. Or if a certain market suddenly has loads of people lumping on a certain result when usually it’s relatively quiet will be an alert.
Short answer = it’s impossible to get away with this nowadays at least online.

TheGodsInRed

My mate is a trader for a large betting company and they have been getting hundreds of bets from his home town on him, like it's completely blatant. Maybe he has just just been telling family but someone has been leaking it to the whole village. They have reported him multiple times over the last 18 months.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I have no sympathy for stupid footballers. World at your feet and you toss it for what? He can lose all his money and spend time in prison for all I care.

Cloud7

I totally get breaking the rules and influencing the course of the game and what not, but I really can't stand betting companies and the fact that they are on the side of being legally 'right' in this circumstance. They are the anal cancer of the entire football ecosystem. They deserve to be schemed against.

Thom Merrilin

Maybe stupidity is the answer but this just seems almost too dumb to be true. Why would he throw away a career that has 8-10 years left for such short term gain?

antohan

I work for an online gambling company.
We have teams of people that monitor this type of thing.
You might get away with a couple of £50 punts at 4/1 or something for someone to get booked, but anything meaningful on a market where usually nobody bets large amounts immediately draws attention. Or if a certain market suddenly has loads of people lumping on a certain result when usually it’s relatively quiet will be an alert.
Short answer = it’s impossible to get away with this nowadays at least online.
Indeed. It's not impossible but it makes no sense to do it.

Bet on lower leagues and bet size/volume immediately paints a massive target on your back. Not worth it.

On mainstream sports bets could be bit larger and returns as well, but the player involved has to be an idiot given how much more money they make in relative terms.

Lots of dumb fecks around though.

Posh Red

Going to hazard a guess he had no idea of the consequences should he get caught. And if not that, then you wouldn't be surprised if some story about coercion comes out as a defence.

This guy has the talent to play for a top 4 club; what was on offer for him to jeopardise everything like this?
My first thought was some kind of malicious blackmail situation. Either that, or he’s a fool.

antohan

My mate is a trader for a large betting company and they have been getting hundreds of bets from his home town on him, like it's completely blatant. Maybe he has just just been telling family but someone has been leaking it to the whole village. They have reported him multiple times over the last 18 months.
You are always as strong as your weakest link. Imagine how weak a link the dumbest member of his family is, now add his place of birth being Rio (I hope that's not "the village" :lol:)

Juicy Juiced

I don't wana be douche or something. A lot of young players signs for managers. New apartments, sexy cars, sexy lives... And when you go big you need to repay them.
Famous cases on Balkan are Modric and Eduardo from Arsenal.
They signed for Mamic. Mamic used them, he got guilty and he just moved from Croatia to Bosnia.

Last edited:

distant_red

My girlfriend is Brasilian and has known about this for awhile. It’s not great news for her with the Copa happening soon if he’s ruled out/left out.

que diabos? seu idiota!

Rojofiam

Yeah, it's the easiest thing in the world to spot for bookmakers. Just completely blatant, like you said.

Last edited:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe stupidity is the answer but this just seems almost too dumb to be true. Why would he throw away a career that has 8-10 years left for such short term gain?
Could there be a possibility that he "had" to do it ? Brazil and South America do have some serious gangs problems. Otherwise if he can't come up with a good excuse, he's getting a few years off.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's lucky in a way that they've taken a whole season to get to this point.
At least he got to play an extra season out!

Ibi Dreams

Could there be a possibility that he "had" to do it ? Brazil and South America do have some serious gangs problems. Otherwise if he can't come up with a good excuse, he's getting a few years off.
That's what I first suspected. There doesn't seem to be any worthwhile gain for him, so I think it could be more about what he had to lose if he didn't do it

If it's not that then he's really stupid

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How do they prove that he took those cards just because a bunch of people opened up new betting accounts to bet on him?
Two of the clips having him doing 2 utterly daft lunge ins within seconds of each other.
One of them is yards in front of the ref.

It's clear desperation to get a booking.

ROFLUTION

My first thought was some kind of malicious blackmail situation. Either that, or he’s a fool.
Given he’s from Rio, blackmail on his family is definitely a possibility.

Been to Rio and I love the city, but it really is the real life Sin City

Ibi Dreams

How do they prove that he took those cards just because a bunch of people opened up new betting accounts to bet on him?
It doesn't need to be "proved" really. You can't "prove" most incidents of match fixing, but highly suspicious betting activity is enough evidence to make it clear that it happened

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Listening to news sources and reading stuff and I think if he's found guilty his career could be over.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah this is what I've heard as well from someone who works at a betting exchange, seems to be quite a common knowledge in the industry - he is proper fecked.

Sara125

Two of the clips having him doing 2 utterly daft lunge ins within seconds of each other.
One of them is yards in front of the ref.

It's clear desperation to get a booking.
Not to mention that hand of god :lol: only…it wasn’t to score in a quarter final of the World Cup but rather practically the last second in a meaningless match

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They've been monitoring and collating the evidence for most of the season. It took them around 9 months to formally raise the charge. Paqueta will have the opportunity to provide a defence, though I doubt there's anything he can say. He's probably proper fecked.

Sara125

I was having a nosey in the hammers subreddit and there’s threads from a few months ago in which fans started to notice his sudden aggression…though, of course, no one boiled it down to being bet related they all thought he was maybe trying to force an exit :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He’s finished.
The bigger issue here are the betting companies. How are we not having this conversation at a national level? They’re poison.