Lucas Torreira

Fosu-Mens

Why we are not in for him, is beyond me. Especially if the £22m release clause is true.
CDM, that can play as a CM B2B. Fast, intense, extremely good at reading passes and player movement which makes him similar to Kante(but not as extreme), two good feets, can shot, dribble, pass etc.
He is already good enough to improve our midfield, and i predict him to be recognized as among the best defensive minded midfielders in the world in 2 years time.
Quote me on this later.

Sanche7

The guy we should have gone for was Rodri from Villarreal.
Invictus mentioned him in a few posts, he would have been the perfect heir to Matic.
He does everything Matic does plus he is a very good passer. And he was sold for 20-25 mill euros.

I like this Torreira guy but he looks like a defensive B2B which is not what we need. His passing is OK but I think he's more of a DM than a DLP. Would have loved Rodri though

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I am confident he will become an elite tier MF as his skillset is pretty much there already. Great first touch, great ball control, his passing is vertical and he is agressive in his tackling.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I am confident he will become an elite tier MF as his skillset is pretty much there already. Great first touch, great ball control, his passing is vertical and he is agressive in his tackling.

His short stature means that when contesting for a ball with a taller opponent, his shoulders would essentially be against the lower part of the other guys body. That allows smaller players like him or Kante to play an effective role as a DM. He's been linked to Arsenal by (untrustworthy)Italian sources, and we could do with such a player.

Wallez

Why we are not in for him, is beyond me. Especially if the £22m release clause is true.
CDM, that can play as a CM B2B. Fast, intense, extremely good at reading passes and player movement which makes him similar to Kante(but not as extreme), two good feets, can shot, dribble, pass etc.
He is already good enough to improve our midfield, and i predict him to be recognized as among the best defensive minded midfielders in the world in 2 years time.
Quote me on this later.
Quoting you on this now. Absolutely brilliant player, especially for that price. Release clauses seem to be the only way of getting talent for reasonable fees these days.

Fosu-Mens

His short stature means that when contesting for a ball with a taller opponent, his shoulders would essentially be against the lower part of the other guys body. That allows smaller players like him or Kante to play an effective role as a DM. He's been linked to Arsenal by (untrustworthy)Italian sources, and we could do with such a player.
Precise reasoning. And if the smaller player is fast, and have great reactions like Kante and Torreira does, then it makes them extremely effective in a DM role. And it seems like those "untrustworthy" sources unfortunately were trustworthy after all.

Quoting you on this now. Absolutely brilliant player, especially for that price. Release clauses seem to be the only way of getting talent for reasonable fees these days.
I guess we will find out if i am right about him next season by watching him in the prem. Sven Mislinat knows what he does.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
This kid is a stud in the making because of his skills, attitude and hunger; the most direct comparison is the young Mascherano to me, a can-do-it-all defensive midfielder only a bit short but a raging bull overall.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This kid is a stud in the making because of his skills, attitude and hunger; the most direct comparison is the young Mascherano to me, a can-do-it-all defensive midfielder only a bit short but a raging bull overall.
Exactly what Arsenal need in that case.

He did look great from the 7 minute clip I saw which has clearly made me an expert on him.

Rajma

Haven’t seen him play but from mental toughness point of view you rarely will go wrong with Uruguayan.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arsenal badly need an intelligent ball carrying DM.

Xhaka has been a total bust of a transfer, incredibly mediocre player.

Ramsey not disciplined enough to play in a middle two.

Wilshere constantly crocked.

El-Neny actually started playing a bit better but he's still not a patch on other DMs at clubs in premier league.

Much needed signing for Arsenal.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
We should be all over this guy with Matic nearly fifty years old, Grot leaving and Carrick hanging up the boots.

CA1

Lets hope he can showcase his talents down there at Arsenal because he could be a good option for us in a few years to replace Matic with somebody proven in our league.

We said similar about Xhaka though, I remember everyone raved over him on here.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He looked great at the WC seemed obvious from that he'd be a good buy for them

izec

Wasnt hard to predict. Anyone who watched Seria A regularly knew he was a steal at 27m

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
He'd walk into Liverpool/United/Spurs midfield without doubt. Exactly the kinda player Arsenal needed, and proving to be a bargain.

Ekeke

We have Ander who did a better version of his performance. But good for Arsenal to get a hard worker

youmeletsfly

We have Ander who did a better version of his performance. But good for Arsenal to get a hard worker
They have a similar style, but Ander is 2 levels below this guy, especially when speaking about shooting and passing. It's not even close.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Hardly a fair comparison. One was versus the team at the absolute bottom of the table, while the other was in one of the biggest derbies in the country.

(Herrera did play well though).

padr81

Supports
Man City
Absolute beast, have to say I didn't rate him hugely from Serie A, thought he was over hyped but happy to say this season since he broke into the team he's proved me wrong. Great player.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Great predictions from people here. I had no idea about him because I don't watch the Seria A and didn't follow Uruguay in the WC.

He and Xhaka have been really good together. He also makes Xhaka better because he takes the defensive responsibility away from Xhaka and allows Xhaka to control possession and passing. Before Xhaka had to do some of the defensive work, which he wasn't agile or quick enough to do.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Verrattiesque. It was expected and it was obvious it was a steal but great to see him elevating his game. He's going to be great for Arsenal for a long time.

Ekeke

Hardly a fair comparison. One was versus the team at the absolute bottom of the table, while the other was in one of the biggest derbies in the country.

(Herrera did play well though).
Herrera was doing it in all our big games a few seasons ago. He's also an older matured player, so Torreira will probably improve more

But the point is we have a player who has shown they can do that job. We just dont use him enough

OverratedOpinion

They have a similar style, but Ander is 2 levels below this guy, especially when speaking about shooting and passing. It's not even close.
He really isn't.

If Torreira or anyone else you would like to name was playing in the current system they would look a bit crap.

2 types of players can overcome poor tactical setups and still shine and those are goalkeepers and very, very special attacking players.

the_irish123

I mean Torreira is good, but the comparisons to Verratti and even Redondo in the other thread are bizarre to me.

Isn't he a mobile destroyer in the molds of Alan, Kante, who penetrates etc? I haven't seen a good pass by him to compare to Verratti, or a quick turn or dribble like Marco.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Third MOTM in a row, so happy for him to get his first goal against those c*nts !

OverratedOpinion

I mean Torreira is good, but the comparisons to Verratti and even Redondo in the other thread are bizarre to me.

Isn't he a mobile destroyer in the molds of Alan, Kante, who penetrates etc? I haven't seen a good pass by him to compare to Verratti, or a quick turn or dribble like Marco.
He's a short midfielder from Serie A. Comparisons are generally that lazy.

Andrew~

He looked absolutely amazing today. Workrate, aggression, passing, awareness, skill and a goal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Meanwhile our manager says we ‘have no mad dogs’. Watched this one go for peanuts in the summer.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Great predictions from people here. I had no idea about him because I don't watch the Seria A and didn't follow Uruguay in the WC.

He and Xhaka have been really good together. He also makes Xhaka better because he takes the defensive responsibility away from Xhaka and allows Xhaka to control possession and passing. Before Xhaka had to do some of the defensive work, which he wasn't agile or quick enough to do.
He is actually FAR better than Xhaka at controlling possession and setting the tempo, arsenal are underutilizing him. And he's still dominating for them

Ekeke

Verrattiesque. It was expected and it was obvious it was a steal but great to see him elevating his game. He's going to be great for Arsenal for a long time.
Think thats a bridge too far.

Veratti dominates the ball. For example, he made 51 passes against Liverpool and 82 away to Napoli.

Torreira made 48 passes today with 0 key passes, Fred made 50 against Spurs for us with 4 key passes. Torreira made a couple more tackles than Fred did. But you get the point I hope? Neither Fred not Torreira are quite Veratti when he plays well

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He is actually FAR better than Xhaka at controlling possession and setting the tempo, arsenal are underutilizing him. And he's still dominating for them
He doesn't play that role though. Xhaka is clearly the one to build play, and he is very good at that but was struggling in previous seasons. I don't think Torreria has the passing range of Xhaka.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Allan is probably the best comparison. He's very similar to Verratti too though, can play both roles