Lucas Torreira

Ekeke

Allan is probably the best comparison. He's very similar to Verratti too though, can play both roles
I dont think Allan would leave the pitch with less than 4 tackles, in fact in a derby its more likely he'd make 14. Torreira had a more human 3 today.

Aubameyang Arsenal's CF somehow had 5

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean Torreira is good, but the comparisons to Verratti and even Redondo in the other thread are bizarre to me.

Isn't he a mobile destroyer in the molds of Alan, Kante, who penetrates etc? I haven't seen a good pass by him to compare to Verratti, or a quick turn or dribble like Marco.
That's because arsenal are using him in a more defensive, subdued role and asking him to keep it simple. He is really good with vertical penetrative passing and pretty good at carrying the ball forward. The Verratti comparison is actually probably the best. Though he doesn't quite have Verratti's quality on the ball, but is better defensively

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably signing of the summer

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He doesn't play that role though. Xhaka is clearly the one to build play, and he is very good at that but was struggling in previous seasons. I don't think Torreria has the passing range of Xhaka.
Long ball is the only pass Xhaka does better than him. And it's close

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Think thats a bridge too far.

Veratti dominates the ball. For example, he made 51 passes against Liverpool and 82 away to Napoli.

Torreira made 48 passes today with 0 key passes, Fred made 50 against Spurs for us with 4 key passes. Torreira made a couple more tackles than Fred did. But you get the point I hope? Neither Fred not Torreira are quite Veratti when he plays well
Don't think the stats tell any story, he can dominate possession and control the tempo of the game and just like Verratti he's a pitbull sort of player that is mobile and a pain in the ass defensively. Next to Xhaka he has a bit of a different role than he had in Italy but he's very complete and can both be the regista or more of a box to box type like Allan or even Kante.

If anything I think he still has a lot more to show, he's an incredible player that has been mostly keeping things simple.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't think the stats tell any story, he can dominate possession and control the tempo of the game and just like Verratti he's a pitbull sort of player that is mobile and a pain in the ass defensively. Next to Xhaka he has a bit of a different role than he had in Italy but he's very complete and can both be the regista or more of a box to box type like Allan or even Kante.
This

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Long ball is the only pass Xhaka does better than him. And it's close
Well it's an important aspect when considering a deep playmaker. Xhaka is immobile but I don't think hes as bad a player as made out here, and he has looked much better with Torreria.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I mean Torreira is good, but the comparisons to Verratti and even Redondo in the other thread are bizarre to me.

Isn't he a mobile destroyer in the molds of Alan, Kante, who penetrates etc? I haven't seen a good pass by him to compare to Verratti, or a quick turn or dribble like Marco.
He's a very good passer, he plays it forward and will turn on a dime and dribble in to space. He's definitely more than just a basic midfield destroyer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was hugely impressive at the world cup and I felt that whoever got him wouldn't be let down due to his tenacity, control and low centre of gravity. And I take it he's been very good for arsenal? Certainly was excellent today. Like him. Looks a good addition to any midfield. And suits the press really well.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He was hugely impressive at the world cup and I felt that whoever got him wouldn't be let down due to his tenacity, control and low centre of gravity. And I take it he's been very good for arsenal? Certainly was excellent today. Like him. Looks a good addition to any midfield. And suits the press really well.
He's been brilliant, and exactly what we have needed for years. Not only is he great in isolation but he's made Xhaka a better player by supporting him on midfield.

It was a master stroke signing him prior to the WC because I don't think we'd have been able to after he showed what he could do there.

el3mel

isn't it any surprise any more ? That the other big clubs are signing good functional players who go under radar and do well while we're running behind the marketable names ? I wish for God I see United signing these kind of players. We were always doing it under SAF.

Andersons Dietician

Everytime I’ve seen this guy play he has been immense, been really impressed by him. That Ghendouzzi (spelling) looks good as well.

sev1

Supports
Arsenal
Torreira’s game is too good to classify in the traditional DM or B2B sense. To me he really comes alive in transition.

His positioning when transitioning from offense to defense has simultaneously allowed Xhaka to play more freely and covered our backline. The stats for this don’t show up so well but he’s either cutting off passing lanes or marking players out of attack allowing time for the rest of our players to make it back into position.

Additionally when transitioning from defense to offense, he constantly shows in good position to receive passes and turn up the midfield. He generally makes good decisions in taking the ball upfield or making a line cutting pass.

His work rate has also been relentless which has made him an absolute favorite among Gooners. We absolutely love him.

Reactions: Jippy

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You have to wonder if anyone else was in for him. He'd probably be great for Spurs too, and they could have offered him CL football.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You have to wonder if anyone else was in for him. He'd probably be great for Spurs too, and they could have offered him CL football.
This.

Why we weren't even involved I don't know. We badly need quality in the centre of midfield and he's perfect for a Poch side.

Of course it's possible Arsenal could have got him anyway but I find it surprising we didn't even get involved, he looks like he'd have been a perfect player for us. I know we can't sign every player but we used to try and hijack these kind of deals.

John_Jensen

Dortmund & Napoli along with Arsenal were the names being bandied about before the World Cup.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Dortmund & Napoli along with Arsenal were the names being bandied about before the World Cup.
Yes, Arsenal sorted out the deal before he linked up with Uruguay. Everything was sorted out by offering more wages than Napoli and paying more than his release clause to Sampdoria. Neat and tidy, no messing around for a few pounds.

Member 114837

Torreira’s game is too good to classify in the traditional DM or B2B sense. To me he really comes alive in transition.

His positioning when transitioning from offense to defense has simultaneously allowed Xhaka to play more freely and covered our backline. The stats for this don’t show up so well but he’s either cutting off passing lanes or marking players out of attack allowing time for the rest of our players to make it back into position.

Additionally when transitioning from defense to offense, he constantly shows in good position to receive passes and turn up the midfield. He generally makes good decisions in taking the ball upfield or making a line cutting pass.

His work rate has also been relentless which has made him an absolute favorite among Gooners. We absolutely love him.
This is the apt description of Torreira as a midfielder. I remember almost two years ago, another Liverpool fan raised his name when he was relatively new to serie A. His traits makes him an absolute asset for a high pressing, fast transition team like Arsenal (Under Emery), Tottenham or Liverpool. I think Liverpool missed a trick by not going for him, and going for Fabinho, who is more of a traditional DM, and looks out of depth in fast transition.

Probably the most vital signing Arsenal has made in recent years, and one of the best signing of this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainoldo

Would have been running down the side lines getting warm with Fred.

Rajma

Amazing how Uruguay keeps producing these talents for such a small and poor nation.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He’s really good. One of my favourite players in the league at the moment.