Luckhurst: Luke Shaw's form on and off the pitch has changed Utd's plans over a possible left-back

John Blund

At his best, he's the best attacking left back in PL, IMO.
He's improved a lot the last few games, and I'm more than happy with him being a regular while improving to his full potential. If he could help Mhki achieving the same, we'd be all good.

crossy1686

career ending
Good to hear should be given every opportunity, he’s clearly got the talent and is still very young.
Feel like we've been here with Shaw before though so I'm taking this 'new dawn' with a pinch of salt. Wasn't it last season when he was halfway out the door and Gary Neville called him for a chat? After that he started playing well again for a while then went back to being disappointing. If Luke Shaw was a cat, he'd of used up a good chunk of his 9 lives at this point.

He's got the ability, no doubt, it's the mental capacity to not be worn down by the grind that worries me. This has to be his last chance now and if he doesn't take this opportunity he'll be out the door in the summer with only himself to blame unfortunately.

cyril C

Shaw has been showing good effort and he certainly deserves a run of games until season end, then you can decide whether he is good enough or not. I don't see why Mourinho should be pushing for Rose (at least this is what the paper says), at least not until July.

Jaybomb

Well, in almost every single post you make you seem to find time to say something negative about Smalling, Shaw or Martial, even when they are playing well, so yes, you seem negative, and I don't seem to be the only one noticing.
You’re imagining it. When they play well, I’m happy but that doesn’t change my mind on their ability.

Just because someone is in good form doesn’t mean they don’t need replacing. We would benefit more from replacing Shaw, Smalling, Jones and getting a proper winger in for the left hand side. One that can actually deliver crosses and isn’t a natural striker.

If being realistic is “negative”, then so be it. I want us to be back amongst the elite. We won’t do that with midtable players.

Alex Sandro would improve us massively. Perisic would improve us massively.

SirAF

Ageist
I would absolutely love it if Shaw made the LB position his own. It would be a great story for him personally as well given all the hardships he had with injury.
That would be ideal for both parties! LB would be sorted for years and years + the English factor.

diplomat

That would be ideal for both parties! LB would be sorted for years and years + the English factor.
I find it odd that a lot of people neglect this point lately and some are even basically calling for the club to get rid of most of the team's British players, such as Shaw, Smalling, Jones, Rashford so that they could be replaced by their foreign (to the club) counterparts.

Having players that understand the meaning of Manchester United and the country that they are playing in is vital to the DNA of the club. I'm not saying all 11 players need to be from Britian, however throughout the years the most successful squads that have been assembled had a core of very important English, Irish or Welsh players.

It's also a very important aspect due to the squad registration quotas, homegrown rules and all the rest of the existing regulations.

Redman24

I don't think we can rely on an injury prone player. We need to upgrade on the left back position and make luke shaw as a squad player

I mean luke shaw has 36 appearances for united since joining us in 2014. Just because he played decent in the last few matches we throw our whole plan out of the window?

GM K

I don't think we can rely on an injury prone player. We need to upgrade on the left back position and make luke shaw as a squad player

I mean luke shaw has 36 appearances for united since joining us in 2014. Just because he played decent in the last few matches we throw our whole plan out of the window?

Totally agree.

Way too risky to rely on him entirely.

Young has been doing well in that position though but looking at the long term, we need to buy a left back.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Would love nothing more than if the lardass regained his form and became a success for us.

Would save us a fair slump of money as well.

davidmichael

Exactly as I said too as even if Shaw does become what we want there’s still going to be games to rotate in and having two quality left backs is only a good thing so I’d still press ahead with Alex Sandro with Shaw rotated and then have Valencia and Young on the right, I’d be ecstatic with those four as our full back options.

lysglimt

Scout
Exactly as I said too as even if Shaw does become what we want there’s still going to be games to rotate in and having two quality left backs is only a good thing so I’d still press ahead with Alex Sandro with Shaw rotated and then have Valencia and Young on the right, I’d be ecstatic with those four as our full back options.
If we buy a left-back now, that is Mourinho saying "goodbye Luke Shaw" - why would we need Shaw, Young and one more left-back ? Shaw and Young are more than capable of covering that spot until the summer, so if we sign someone now - it's obvious one of them will leave (which will be Shaw). I would hate to see Shaw go - and at least for Danny Rose

davidmichael

If we buy a left-back now, that is Mourinho saying "goodbye Luke Shaw" - why would we need Shaw, Young and one more left-back ? Shaw and Young are more than capable of covering that spot until the summer, so if we sign someone now - it's obvious one of them will leave (which will be Shaw). I would hate to see Shaw go - and at least for Danny Rose
I’m not saying buy a left back now in January (unless of course Juventus were crazy enough to let Alex Sandro leave in January) as I believe Shaw should be given a chance to show whether he’s good enough to be first choice or a squad player.

Personally I’d LOVE for Shaw to fulfil his potential and become the genuine quality attacking left back we thought he’d have become by now and if he does then at his age we could have left back sorted for the next 10 years, the problem is that due to injury and supposed attitude problems it’s never been close to happening.

If at the end of this season Shaw hasn’t shown enough to prove he should be short term and long term first choice left back then we need to bring a first choice world class left back in and have Shaw as a good back up choice, I think Shaw is the best left back we currently have but the fact we’re not sure whether a 30+ winger is a better left back says to me we need to bring a quality left back in even if it’s back up to Shaw.

Name Changed

weso26
I think his crossing is getting a little too much criticism. He has put in a few great crosses right across the 6 yard box that our forwards have been slow to anticipate. I'm not saying he has been great or anything, but I don't think it's as bad as I'm reading here.

Name Changed

weso26
If we go for Rose and let Shaw go I would question the intelligence of the manager. Shaw is the better player and is younger. And it's not as if Rose doesn't get any injuries. It'd be crazy. I'd sell Darmian and Blind and buy someone young such as Sessegnon.

squidoo

Maybe unpopular view but I have never understood the appeal of Shaw...just looks like an old school left back with very little skill imo.
Love not be proved wrong.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe unpopular view but I have never understood the appeal of Shaw...just looks like an old school left back with very little skill imo.
Love not be proved wrong.
:houllier:

Unpopular view for a reason. He obviously has underperformed for long stretches but come on mate, he's a very good left back.

TheReligion

Abusive
Do De Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Rojo, Blind, Matic, Pogba, Fellaini, Mata, Zlatan, Lingard, Lukaku and Rashford not play then? :rolleyes:

Just because I don’t rate Jones, Smalling, Shaw or Martial, you accuse me of being negative. Laughable.
You don't rate Martial? Crazy

buckooo1978

At his best, he's the best attacking left back in PL, IMO.
He's improved a lot the last few games, and I'm more than happy with him being a regular while improving to his full potential. If he could help Mhki achieving the same, we'd be all good.
yes well he has mustered a grand total of 0 goals and three assists......... in his career

think you are getting carried away there cowboy

Footyislife

You’re imagining it. When they play well, I’m happy but that doesn’t change my mind on their ability.

Just because someone is in good form doesn’t mean they don’t need replacing. We would benefit more from replacing Shaw, Smalling, Jones and getting a proper winger in for the left hand side. One that can actually deliver crosses and isn’t a natural striker.

If being realistic is “negative”, then so be it. I want us to be back amongst the elite. We won’t do that with midtable players.

Alex Sandro would improve us massively. Perisic would improve us massively.
All top level players would improve us massively, but we aren't City or PSG with unlimited money. You have to be strategic and have a long term plan when trying to build an excellent squad. What we struggle with is depth and consistency in our attacking play. The likes of Lingard, Mata, Martial, Mkhi, Rashford are all central players which is why our offense looks so clunky with spacing, ball movement. We just don't have natural width. Martial is the most effective wide player we currently have & he's not lighting the world on fire. To be more dynamic we should bring in at least 1 player who is a natural winger, and 1 superstar attacker (Dybala, Griezmann, Bale, Sanchez) to upgrade over Mata, Lingard, Mkhi & preferrably divest two of those players (Mata/Mkhi).

Martial & Shaw are actually two of our bright prospects who are delivering when given opportunities. Probably cost a team 200m to acquire talent at their level right now, so "replacing" them would be a highly idiotic move. If we are talking about replacing Rashford has been particularly poor, and Lukaku is under performing just a tad bit. Here's what i'd do:

Loan - Rashford (got massive potential but is too raw currently), Axel
Sell - Mata, Mkhi, Fellaini, Blind, Darmian
Recall - TFM & Pereira
Buy - Superstar Forward, Natural Winger, Midfielder, Young RB

Shouldn't cost more than 150m net. We are in excellent shape as long as our manager players them properly in a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2
ST - Lukaku, Martial
LW - Martial, Winger, Lingard
RW - Superstar Forward, Lingard, Winger
CM (Left of 3) - Pogba, Lingard, Pereira
CM (Right of 3) - Matic, New CM
DM (ball winning) - Herrera, TFM
CD - Bailly, Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Lindelof, TFM
LB - Shaw, Young, Mitchell
RB - Valencia, Young RWB, TFM
GK - DeGea, Romero

If we struggle with injuries recall Rashford or Axel.

Jaybomb

You don't rate Martial? Crazy
Why is it crazy? He hasn’t exactly been setting the league alight since coming here.

A few flashes of brilliance every few months doesn’t mean I’m crazy for wanting someone else.

He’s inconsistent.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why is it crazy? He hasn’t exactly been setting the league alight since coming here.

A few flashes of brilliance every few months doesn’t mean I’m crazy for wanting someone else.

He’s inconsistent.
Give your head a wobble. He's 22 years old.

Jaybomb

I think you’re clueless about football personally if you can’t see Martial is outstanding and will only get better.
Then Gary Neville must be clueless aswell cause he agrees with me.

Anyway this thread is about Luke Shaw so let’s not go off topic.

Member 5225

Yeah I find that so odd too. Surely things aren't run like that behind the scenes?!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Then Gary Neville must be clueless aswell cause he agrees with me.

Anyway this thread is about Luke Shaw so let’s not go off topic.
Gary Neville has proven himself to be fairly clueless on occasion and particularly this one. Martial is on a completely different level to Rashford, your eyes tell you that it’s very simple.

Shaw is having a great run of games hope he keeps it going and solidifies his partnership with our best left sided attacker, Martial.

Social Madworks

Why didn’t you mention that he broke his legs while on duty for Manchester United, double broken bones, and was out for almost 2 years?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It isn´t wise to forget about a new LB as Shaw only have played a few games on the first team this season and he has looked alright but nothing more than that. His history in regards to professionalism and injuries is too grim to ignore. Manchester United plays many games a season and having 2 FBs pushing each other to improve and fight for the place would be optimal for everyone. This smells like the board using any excuse to not invest in a LB and odds are it could be a very bad decision. He is only a talent at the moment and should be treated as such until he has earned otherwise and a few games is far from that.
For the love of god... Give the player a chance before spouting such rubbish.

NotQuiteManc

His form and performances have been improving since been given the chance to start and does not seem to want to go back to the bench. If his previous attitudes were questioned, I think at least looking at the performances, it shows there is still fight in him (unlike some players) and that is what I admire in a player. Despite the difficult start to his United career, he went on a pre-season regime with Adnan and was having a really good start to a season, he suffered terrible injury.

Two years we have been waiting for him to come back, and it took him a while to get back to the level of fitness and sharpness. Hopefully, this good form and fortune (in terms of injury) will continue for a long time for him. Whether he will be the first 11 LB or squad option, he deserves to be given these chances.

automaticflare

His form and performances have been improving since been given the chance to start and does not seem to want to go back to the bench. If his previous attitudes were questioned, I think at least looking at the performances, it shows there is still fight in him (unlike some players) and that is what I admire in a player. Despite the difficult start to his United career, he went on a pre-season regime with Adnan and was having a really good start to a season, he suffered terrible injury.

Two years we have been waiting for him to come back, and it took him a while to get back to the level of fitness and sharpness. Hopefully, this good form and fortune (in terms of injury) will continue for a long time for him. Whether he will be the first 11 LB or squad option, he deserves to be given these chances.
I tend to agree. I was one of his biggest critics And I don't yet trust him fully but the signs are encouraging that he has shown guts for a fight after criticism.
He needs to keep it up until the end of the season and start adding some end product to the positions he gets himself into. Once we get to the end of the season we should re evaluate but spending 50m on someone like Rose now when league is pretty much out of reach seems a bit rash.

RAVred

I still think we should bring in a world class Left Back, and a first team worthy right back (Meunier, but I doubt PSG have any intention of selling anyone).

Someone like Alaba or Sandro would be ideal, the latter being actually attainable.

SambaBoy

Hopefully he's realised what he has to do to make it now. It was worrying when Poch echoed what Mourinho had said about his attitude to training and willingness to improve. He's probably flew through the youth ranks and England squads fairly easy and thought every step up would be easy, especially after impressing for Southampton at the age of 17/18.

I think he has realised how hard he has to work to make it at United and stay in the squad. The talent is there no doubt, hopefully he can knuckle down, stay trim and make it as our future LB. If he has a good end to the season, he may even go the WC. Rose hasn't hit anywhere near his 15/16 form, Bertrand is a decent option but Shaw is better defensively and going forward and Baines is finished. Young may be his biggest competition for a spot at LB.

Murray3007

not sure what some people watch with Shaw, when he was at southampton he was superb in defence and done these great runs but final ball was his problem. which at 17/18 is no big problem for me as it surely easier to work on crossing a ball then the art of defending. yet i see comments on here of him being the best attacking full back in the league ? really ? hes had a decent run of games lately and did have a poor game v southampton but still overall hes done pretty well, its now up to him on his attitude to keep it going and make Jose have a hard decision to make when Valencia is back and ready to play

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

Totally agree.

Way too risky to rely on him entirely.

Young has been doing well in that position though but looking at the long term, we need to buy a left back.
This sums it up.

Shaw has shown glimpses but those glimpses have been too inconsistent either due to injuries or form or whatever. Fact of the matter is seeing United want to make a big push to win next season, there is no way they don’t address the LB position seeing how it’s been a grey area and not locked down.

However I like the dilemma at hand. Shaw is regaining his form and means we don’t have to completely write him off and buy an expensive first choice LB to replace him. Instead, this can sort of be his last shot at proving if he’s able to be that guy and in the meantime we could get a younger LB such as Tierney to compete with him for the spot. If Shaw proves himself, great. If not, no harm done either. Thing with a guy like Tierney is, he’ll be able to play right away for us if need be and if not, not having that pressure on him is a plus also as he’s just 20 as it’ll allow him to settle in at his own pace. Really see something like this as an ideal win-win situation and hope it’s what comes to be.