Luckhurst: Luke Shaw's form on and off the pitch has changed Utd's plans over a possible left-back

Shimo

Strange reading comments about his crossing ability making him not good enough for us. First IMO there are very few top attacking players today that have great crossing ability from out wide but, then you try to make it a requirement for a fullback? Fullbacks have to be very good at defending first of all. Shaw's weaknesses as a defender are awareness of runs behind and that desire to close down a potential crosser. Both can and should learn given more consistent matches, as it is right now it's not that bad just can be better.

His attacking play, maybe he'll never be an Ashley Young or Becks type quality of crossing but, his pace and his link up play does make him a very good attacking fullback. The potential is there and he now has a short window in which to show he can be trusted in with Valencia back next week and Young wrapping up his ban. So far the performances have been up there to warrant him to keep playing.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I don't dislike Shaw, I don't think he's a bad player but I seriously feel like I'm missing something with this great run of form. Even in the games he was named MOTM - I felt he was just okay. He wasn't the liability he'd been at times under Mourinho but jesus louisus the hype after those performances you'd think he'd transformed into Maldini.

Andersons Dietician

I dont know why i remember the opposite. i even have a memory of when he signed he was asked if he thinks he would basicvallyt be tailor made to do great as an lvg wing back becuase of how attacking he is as a full back.
I think some people’s idea of an attacking fullback is just Marcelo or Dani Alves who really just play as wingers. Shaw is perfectly capable of attacking and doing it well. He’s just not afforded the type of freedom those guys are and he probably never will have. So for me he is an attacking fullback, Just not as reckless as those guys.

ChaddyP

I think some people’s idea of an attacking fullback is just Marcelo or Dani Alves who really just play as wingers. Shaw is perfectly capable of attacking and doing it well. He’s just not afforded the type of freedom those guys are and he probably never will have. So for me he is an attacking fullback, Just not as reckless as those guys.
That probably explains it. I just looked back in his soton youtube video and 80 percent of the highlights are him running into the box with the ball.

redflash

I can't believe so much negativity for a 20 year old defender. He's totally talent to be a top player and this is perfect platform for him.

I did have worries about his attitude whenhewas out but those tough days will serve him well. I finished will turn into a massive player for us and England.

And he's currently only player we have who knows how to run on the blindside of a defender or overlap.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't dislike Shaw, I don't think he's a bad player but I seriously feel like I'm missing something with this great run of form. Even in the games he was named MOTM - I felt he was just okay. He wasn't the liability he'd been at times under Mourinho but jesus louisus the hype after those performances you'd think he'd transformed into Maldini.
No one is saying that, we're simply acknowledging his improvement in terms of both fitness and overal performance. He still has a long road to travel in order to convince us that he is a real deal, but he is certainly heading in the right direction. He deserves credit for that

People are quick enough to jump on his back after a bad performance, those same people should be just as quick to support him when he does something right.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Good to hear should be given every opportunity, he’s clearly got the talent and is still very young.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There is nothing new in this news.

If you study/Listen closely to Jose. He always kinda hinted that Shaw was part of his plans and that no actual decision would be made on Shaw positive or negative until the lad has a chance. There always seemed to be a nod to his attitude which I could not quiet decypher. Whether it was to improve his attitude or to keep at it. I always took it as a positive for Shaw that he felt the need to mention it. If he was never in Jose's thoughts why would he say anything!
I think he's been mostly positive since the comments about him needing to think for Shaw. He praised Shaw for playing 120 mins against Anderlecht last season and that is the kind of stuff he likes in his players - to play through the pain barrier and make themselves available.

Oscie

He's a different type of crosser to what we have; more of a fizzer than a floater. He's played so little football for us since....well, ever really. Probably won't be into any kind of stride until he's got at least half a dozen more starts under his belt but so far his performances are encouraging.

TheSandman

when i saw shaw play at left back it was just so refreshing to see, and in my head i kept seeing new things and composure while thinking to myself... So thats what a competent left back playing his preferred position looks like.

Klopp_De_Klown

I think he's been mostly positive since the comments about him needing to think for Shaw. He praised Shaw for playing 120 mins against Anderlecht last season and that is the kind of stuff he likes in his players - to play through the pain barrier and make themselves available.
Yea thats the kinda stuff I was talking about.

There is a lot of good news coming out of Old Trafford. We are being brainwashed to seeing only the bad, or one would think!

Hughie77

Not surprising, but it is good news. Shaw has been great the last few games.
Yes agree he has showed more, he can be a regular as long as he keeps the intensity up, he's much better when we keep the ball for long periods. Can struggle when he has to just defend.

Alabaster Codify7

Great news for him, not for our club.
Mark my words, we'll be playing Darmian and Blind again by March/April.

PieCrust

He's still just potential at this point; never proven a thing other than a few good matches here and there. I don't have a lot of faith that he'll be able to turn the corner. But since we don't have any real FB's on the roster, we might as well see if Shaw can step up this last half of the season before buying in the summer. Of course hope he does well, just have a lot of doubts.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
If he can stay fit then I think he will turn out to be a beast of a LB, so this is great news imo.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Even if it turns out we want him to stay, we'd still have to convince him to sign a new contract, im not sure thats a given considering whats happened over the past year or so.

Greck

If I recall Evra's crossing was also often underwhelming/underhit/bobbled on the ground but his link up was great for our build up.

Shaw's is twice as bad but his link up will be valuable to our attack so long as we do more than spam crosses to Lukaku

davidmichael

I’ve always thought we should keep Shaw anyway as he’s the ONLY genuine left back we have in the entire squad and he certainly has the talent to be great even if it’s always seemed his problem was/is mental and attitude.

That said tough I’d still like us to sign another left back as we can’t just rely on Shaw or contemplate using any of Darmian, Rojo or Blind as an alternative. We need quality added to our strength in depth as opposed to quantity and having two quality left backs is needed if we’re to challenge for the title and be a force in Europe.

I think Valencia and Young should rotate on the right side as Valencia has limitless energy whilst Young has much better delivery and being on the right would mean Young wouldn’t have to cut inside every time he put a cross in, Shaw plus a new left back would mean natural width on both sides.

Tony Babangida

He has been decent. Not great.

He still can’t cross a ball. A team like United can’t afford to have weaknesses in vital positions like that.
It's infuriating isn't it. I love Valencia but he can't cross and Shaw's only marginally better. I suppose Evra didn't have a great cross but he made up for it with dynamism and great timing of overlapping runs.

Ashley young has a good cross on him, particularly the right footed one from the left that is destined for Fellani's head. But nobody can hold a candle to G Nev! He must have learnt to cross from Becks.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Is he worse or better at crossing than Valencia in your opinion?
Worse in the sense that Valencia doesn't try to cross very often compared to, say, Young, but at least he doesn't lose possession by trying and failing. In the last few games Shaw has just been repeatedly booting the ball into the defender.

Baxter

I like Masuaku at West Ham. He got slaughtered for switching off against us but I thought he looked a decent player. Every game I see him, he looks very skilful and I think he’d be quite good in a more attacking team.

If we’re going to stick with Shaw, I’d think he’d be a decent squad option.

Sing you a song

Is he worse or better at crossing than Valencia in your opinion?
He is a far better full back than Valencia and yes a better crosser of the ball Valencia always seems to hit it against the 1st man as though his only aim is to get a corner .
I feel Valencia is massively over rated and is by far the most 1 footed United player I have ever seen

Jaybomb

Except the ones that play then? Anyone in the reserves you particularly like? I see you think BJ should play ahead of Shaw for instance.
Do De Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Rojo, Blind, Matic, Pogba, Fellaini, Mata, Zlatan, Lingard, Lukaku and Rashford not play then? :rolleyes:

Just because I don’t rate Jones, Smalling, Shaw or Martial, you accuse me of being negative. Laughable.

Member 5225

So we make transfer decisions on whims? Can't be.

ps. for transparency always a Shaw supporter and hope he does very very well for us!

Rossa

Do De Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Rojo, Blind, Matic, Pogba, Fellaini, Mata, Zlatan, Lingard, Lukaku and Rashford not play then? :rolleyes:

Just because I don’t rate Jones, Smalling, Shaw or Martial, you accuse me of being negative. Laughable.
Well, in almost every single post you make you seem to find time to say something negative about Smalling, Shaw or Martial, even when they are playing well, so yes, you seem negative, and I don't seem to be the only one noticing.

Robbie Boy

Do you like any United player? A miserable little poster; try saying something positive. You may start to like it.
He likes eh Rojo and Fellaini because they're passionate innit. Seems to not rate any of our talented players.