Luckhurst: Luke Shaw's form on and off the pitch has changed Utd's plans over a possible left-back

Red_toad

Totally agree.

Way too risky to rely on him entirely.

Young has been doing well in that position though but looking at the long term, we need to buy a left back.
We have 2 very good options for left back, paying £50 million for a possible slight upgrade isn't worth it, we have far greater issues to be addressed.
He's actually not injury prone, he suffered a massive injury which he's struggled to recover from. He's now looking a solid option now. Jose has gotten Jones playing regular games now, so anything is possible, there is a pure injury prone player if I've ever seen one.

TheForgottenOne

This sums it up.

Shaw has shown glimpses but those glimpses have been too inconsistent either due to injuries or form or whatever. Fact of the matter is seeing United want to make a big push to win next season, there is no way they don’t address the LB position seeing how it’s been a grey area and not locked down.

However I like the dilemma at hand. Shaw is regaining his form and means we don’t have to completely write him off and buy an expensive first choice LB to replace him. Instead, this can sort of be his last shot at proving if he’s able to be that guy and in the meantime we could get a younger LB such as Tierney to compete with him for the spot. If Shaw proves himself, great. If not, no harm done either. Thing with a guy like Tierney is, he’ll be able to play right away for us if need be and if not, not having that pressure on him is a plus also as he’s just 20 as it’ll allow him to settle in at his own pace. Really see something like this as an ideal win-win situation and hope it’s what comes to be.
We still have almost a half season to go. It's not that black or white at this time. Shaw is regaining his spot at this time and has a good 20 matches more this season to show he can stay fit, has the level we need and to earn enough trust for next season. I don't see who we could buy at this time that would immediatly strongly improve us, as players from abroad will take time to settle and within the PL there are almost no options that would really strenghten us. Other than that, Young has done okay and there are 2-3 other players that can fill in the spot when needed. It's not like we are completely depending on him for the rest of this season

If Shaw manages to perform and stay fit, it would only benefit us even if we decide to bring in another left back. United have been the wounded animal for some years now and that reflects on the transfer sums we have to pay. If Shaw fails everybody can see that we really need to buy another left back because it is a troublesome position for us. If he at least does decent, it is not so obvious that we are in trouble for the position and that should normally help us negotiate a better price when we want to bring in a new left back.

NoPace

At his best, he's the best attacking left back in PL, IMO.
He's improved a lot the last few games, and I'm more than happy with him being a regular while improving to his full potential. If he could help Mhki achieving the same, we'd be all good.
I'm a big Shaw fan but Mendy's crossing and Rose's all around attacking play make them more dangerous going forward. But Shaw has time on his side.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I find it odd that a lot of people neglect this point lately and some are even basically calling for the club to get rid of most of the team's British players, such as Shaw, Smalling, Jones, Rashford so that they could be replaced by their foreign (to the club) counterparts.

Having players that understand the meaning of Manchester United and the country that they are playing in is vital to the DNA of the club. I'm not saying all 11 players need to be from Britian, however throughout the years the most successful squads that have been assembled had a core of very important English, Irish or Welsh players.

It's also a very important aspect due to the squad registration quotas, homegrown rules and all the rest of the existing regulations.
Anyone saying we should get rid of Rashford is just stupid or a oppo fan.
(Rojo, Blind) Smalling or Jones is down to wanting more quality and needing to make way. Don't think I've seen any talk about wanting both gone.

Everyone wants Shaw to be a success, but many years out injured means we can't neglect bringing in a capable player just to hope Shaw will turn out well. Some want Shaw as a rotation/talent role and others want him gone because they've given up on his injury-history and would likely not mind Mitchell, Sessegnon or another English player to take that place.

Some are plain stupid of course, but there are reasonable arguments to getting rid of some to be made as well.

Edit to clarify my stance:
I want a top class LB like Sandro and for Shaw to be rotation alternative and still have a chance in the squad.

Social Madworks

Anyone saying we should get rid of Rashford is just stupid or a oppo fan.
(Rojo, Blind) Smalling or Jones is down to wanting more quality and needing to make way. Don't think I've seen any talk about wanting both gone.

Everyone wants Shaw to be a success, but many years out injured means we can't neglect bringing in a capable player just to hope Shaw will turn out well. Some want Shaw as a rotation/talent role and others want him gone because they've given up on his injury-history and would likely not mind Mitchell, Sessegnon or another English player to take that place.

Some are plain stupid of course, but there are reasonable arguments to getting rid of some to be made as well.

Edit to clarify my stance:
I want a top class LB like Sandro and for Shaw to be rotation alternative and still have a chance in the squad.
Think about it, if you were Shaw, would you stay here just to be a rotation alternative?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Think about it, if you were Shaw, would you stay here just to be a rotation alternative?
If he won't fight for the place after the club stuck with him through his injuries (and if true, reported lazyness), I'd say he isn't of the mental material we should have in the squad, and a rotation alternative is easily replaced. Hell we could promote Mitchel and not notice much as long as Sandro would perform.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Does he want to be a rotation player at a top club or go to a mid table club and be first choice? That's his level at the moment.

He could fight for his place and turn out to be a United legend. Top clubs do not want young players that think their shite doesnt smell. They want young players that are honest about their level and hungry to improve.

Look at Madrid and Barca; how many of their young players dream of playing there, and are willing to be there to contribute to the club. If Shaw doesnt want to fight for his place then he is not the right standard for the club. We have many players that ar not guaranteed starters that are willing to fight for their place; Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Herrera, multiple CBs.

Social Madworks

If he won't fight for the place after the club stuck with him through his injuries (and if true, reported lazyness), I'd say he isn't of the mental material we should have in the squad, and a rotation alternative is easily replaced. Hell we could promote Mitchel and not notice much as long as Sandro would perform.
My question is, from his perspective.

Secondly, he broke his leg while he played in a match for Manchester United, this club. I would say, it is the club's responsibility, and obligation to stuck with him, stand by him. He did not get into injury from speed driving, or drinking, or having haircut, or in a training session. His leg was broken during a match for Manchester United.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
My question is, from his perspective.

Secondly, he broke his leg while he played in a match for Manchester United, this club. I would say, it is the club's responsibility, and obligation to stuck with him, stand by him. He did not get into injury from speed driving, or drinking, or having haircut, or in a training session. His leg was broken during a match for Manchester United.
It's the clubs obligation to honor the contract & pay what he's owed and help him recover. It's not the clubs obligation to not replace his role if he doesn't seem capable of filling it and losing out on quality on the field because of it.

I understand you're playing Shaw's advocate here, but from my perspective the club always comes first, the individuals in second-line. As such I want to give Shaw the chance to succeed and stake a claim to the spot (a bonus because he's English and that matters for the home-grown quotas), but I don't want the club to be negligible with the quality in our squad just for that to happen. If Shaw can't accept that the club will put their interest and quality before him, then he should find another club.
The same goes for my personal reasons for wanting some of our center-backs gone. It's only down to wanting better quality at the club. If they are English, all the better. If the English aren't up for it, then they should be looked past for prominent roles in the first eleven.
Although I don't think there is a big quality difference between Jones, Smalling and Rojo so won't touch the debate too much. (leaving Blind out as he's a lesser CB to the other three)
Mind, this is from my perspective as a fan.

If I was English I'd probably be of the mindset that a few sub-par English players in the first eleven would be good for the national team and use that as a argument to not replace them.
If players in general showed as much loyalty to their clubs as some club-legends did, I wouldn't mind sticking by them, like how we gave Fletcher all the time in the world without really replacing him in the squad. Or how you give older players (Carrick now for example, although he seems to have a added benefit on the squad dynamic) the chance to stay even though they are quality-wise overdue a club-change.

If City, Real, Bayern etc can keep their players happy with having doubled up on certain position of high quality, then we should be fully able of doing the same. Especially as we seem to pay extraordinary amounts of money for squad-players.

squidoo

:houllier:

Unpopular view for a reason. He obviously has underperformed for long stretches but come on mate, he's a very good left back.
I'm not saying he's garbage, just doesn't doesn't do anything for me. I think the world of left backs has evolved to actually having skills.....which he hasn't got from what I see.
We're obviously going into a world where full backs have to be more like wingers. I just see a fast full back that is OK for now but will not be around as we develop...hopefully.

Nick7

I'm not saying he's garbage, just doesn't doesn't do anything for me. I think the world of left backs has evolved to actually having skills.....which he hasn't got from what I see.
We're obviously going into a world where full backs have to be more like wingers. I just see a fast full back that is OK for now but will not be around as we develop...hopefully.
What skills?

beingshe7don

I think Luke Shaw has shown improvement this season and deserves to be at United. He's still young and can get better. Instead of investing in a new LB, we've got other positions that need to be addressed rather immediately.... We need another ST, RW, CM (Pogba kind more like box-to-box) and a Matic or Carrick kind.

squidoo

What skills?
Two footed for a start. The ability wrongnfoot a defender. How many times have seen him face to face with a full back and he just tries to cross...mostly hitting the fullback.
At least Ash has a few tricks.
Don't get me wrong he's fine...for now. Just want us to aim higher.

Nick7

Two footed for a start. The ability wrongnfoot a defender. How many times have seen him face to face with a full back and he just tries to cross...mostly hitting the fullback.
Young was a winger and a good one at that in his prime. Very few full backs can "wrong foot" a defender. Even the most attacking of fullbacks are there to use their pace to go past defenders. Having "tricks" is a tragic way of rating fullbacks.

squidoo

Young was a winger and a good one at that in his prime. Very few full backs can "wrong foot" a defender. Even the most attacking of fullbacks are there to use their pace to go past defenders. Having "tricks" is a tragic way of rating fullbacks.
So finding a left back with the ability to wrong foot a full back is not desirable then? Surely after having an ex winger playing full back and seeing what can happen the bar has been raised. And we should be aspiring to that level.
As for it being a tragic way....I've just answered that but will add that its obviously not the only criteria but in the modern game at the top level...skills help.

Nick7

So finding a left back with the ability to wrong foot a full back is not desirable then? Surely after having an ex winger playing full back and seeing what can happen the bar has been raised. And we should be aspiring to that level.
As for it being a tragic way....I've just answered that but will add that its obviously not the only criteria but in the modern game at the top level...skills help.
I did not say that.

squidoo

I did not say that.
I never said you did. Please don't assume I am some ego driven small hands type on here that looks for confrontation and needs to win an argument. I'm merely having a civil discussion and I'm saying for too long we have accepted average and need to get back to expecting higher standards.
With that in mind I would love a full back that can use both feet and wrong foot another player.
Would you not like that?

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Shaw is a good crosser of the ball, probably amongst the best in the team. He uses his pace well to get past players and find himself in overlapping positions. He is only going to get better with confidence.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Shaw is a good crosser of the ball, probably amongst the best in the team. He uses his pace well to get past players and find himself in overlapping positions. He is only going to get better with confidence.
Not sure about the crossing part but I think his link up play is his strongest aspect, those quick one-twos on the left are brilliant for finding space for whoever's out on the LW. He seemed reluctant to do them in his first couple of games but the more he's played the more he's attacked, almost plays as a second winger at times.

simplyared

After seeing him string a few performances together it gives you a bit more to go on. He's decent imo but nothing more than that. He's far too reliant on his left foot. (I think he must stir his tea with it). He exposes himself to injury with his style of play and as someone else mentioned on this thread he looks overweight.

Ekeke

After seeing him string a few performances together it gives you a bit more to go on. He's decent imo but nothing more than that. He's far too reliant on his left foot. (I think he must stir his tea with it). He exposes himself to injury with his style of play and as someone else mentioned on this thread he looks overweight.
Would it matter to you if he's overweight if he was our best player every week?

You dont have to date him

Gopher Brown

I’m not really convinced by him - every time he plays I feel like it’s only a matter of time before he’ll be out of the next 10 games with an injury. Yes, he had a bad leg break, and that sort of freak occurrence can happen to any player, but he was here for a season before that and barely managed to get a run of games going because of various injuries.

While he’s better than the other left back options we have, it does not mean he’s good enough for us. He’s good with an overlap, but doesn’t have much else.

slir32

He should be our started but we need a quality young backup to slot in when Shaw need to be rotated and when he gets injured. We have to buy in the summer a LB and a RB.

Red_toad

He should be our started but we need a quality young backup to slot in when Shaw need to be rotated and when he gets injured. We have to buy in the summer a LB and a RB.
We have a Young back up for left and right back. Also TFM has to play & Axel. Club can’t just buy players for squad depth of we might as well do away with youth squads.

slir32

We have a Young back up for left and right back. Also TFM has to play & Axel. Club can’t just buy players for squad depth of we might as well do away with youth squads.
If Jose deems our youth good enough to rotate next season and eventually take over those fullback spots than i am fine with that if not we have to buy.

Aint gota Kalou

Whatever happens to our LB position, very much doubt anyone will be bought in January. Seems Shaw will be given a fair whip to make the position his own. He has until the end of the season to prove his mentality and injuries are up to scratch. Seems fair, if he doesn't do it then he has no excuse.

United_We_Stand

"The player still has 18 months left on his £80,000-a-week contract, after United took up a one-year option last year to automatically extend his deal into 2019.
But Shaw has since impressed in recent weeks and has a chance for a rare run in the side from now until the summer, with the Old Trafford giants planning to tie him down on improved terms."

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

"The player still has 18 months left on his £80,000-a-week contract, after United took up a one-year option last year to automatically extend his deal into 2019.
But Shaw has since impressed in recent weeks and has a chance for a rare run in the side from now until the summer, with the Old Trafford giants planning to tie him down on improved terms."
Wow, certainly an interesting development but it remains to be seen if he keeps up the good form or its just a purple patch. Would save us a couple of quid in summer if we didn't need to sign a new full back (or at least one on the left).

OK777

Do some of you people not realise that Luke Shaw broke his leg? Literally snapped it...

That in itself is almost always career ending. He has worked so hard and got himself back,has earned himself a few man of the match performances and is now beginning to find his consistency week in week out.

A miracle...

Mourinho knows this, knows at his best that Shaw is quality and has potential to be one of the greatest left backs this club has seen, if not ever. Hence the mind games, which lead to his revitalised performances and then his complimentary pressers of Shaw.

Good work Jose. Fantastic work LUKE SHAW!

Reactions: langster

tomaldinho1

Best PL left back I can remember... Ashley Cole: Very left footed. Evra: same. Baines: same

Evolution of the full back is more toward athleticism than technicality. Pace, power, stamina are more important - look at Rose, Walker, Moses, Valencia - they're all pretty average with the ball at feet (average for a professional footballer not a slur). If you can find both, which I think Shaw could potentially have, you have a gem.

Deleted member 101472

Do some of you people not realise that Luke Shaw broke his leg? Literally snapped it...

That in itself is almost always career ending. He has worked so hard and got himself back,has earned himself a few man of the match performances and is now beginning to find his consistency week in week out.

A miracle...

Mourinho knows this, knows at his best that Shaw is quality and has potential to be one of the greatest left backs this club has seen, if not ever. Hence the mind games, which lead to his revitalised performances and then his complimentary pressers of Shaw.

Good work Jose. Fantastic work LUKE SHAW!
I don’t know why but I’m absolutely pissing myself laughing at the last paragraph :lol:

lysglimt

Scout
I am convinced that if we let Shaw go - we will regret it in a few years. He will be at a top club being one of the best in the business - I just hope it will be at United.

daizi88

He will get injured again next season and ruin our plans. Also he is very poor going forward. Get rid

Tony Clifton

Here or elsewhere, I've always thought that the media's and some supporters' view of the professional relationship between Shaw and Mourinho is much more negative than it really is or was.

It wouldn't surprise me if Shaw actually admires Mourinho a lot more than we are led to believe. Don't forget that Shaw grew up a Chelsea supporter, this is a fact.

In the summer of 2004, when Luke was around nine years old, some fella named José Mourinho became Chelsea's new manager. Apart from the general rejuvenation of the club's place in the footballing hierarchy back then, José also had tangible success as he guided Chelsea to the club's first league title in half a century, and then another one the following season. Consecutive league titles after such a long drought with the added bonus of being able to challenge out in Europe. That man is his current manager.

I know a lot has happened since then, but something tells me Shaw truly appreciates Mourinho because of all that. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've definitely considered this each time I've thought I've figured out the general mood between Luke and José.

Reactions: Sultan

Nick7

Here or elsewhere, I've always thought that the media's and some supporters' view of the professional relationship between Shaw and Mourinho is much more negative than it really is or was.

It wouldn't surprise me if Shaw actually admires Mourinho a lot more than we are led to believe. Don't forget that Shaw grew up a Chelsea supporter, this is a fact.

In the summer of 2004, when Luke was around nine years old, some fella named José Mourinho became Chelsea's new manager. Apart from the general rejuvenation of the club's place in the footballing hierarchy back then, José also had tangible success as he guided Chelsea to the club's first league title in half a century, and then another one the following season. Consecutive league titles after such a long drought with the added bonus of being able to challenge out in Europe. That man is his current manager.

I know a lot has happened since then, but something tells me Shaw truly appreciates Mourinho because of all that. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've definitely considered this each time I've thought I've figured out the general mood between Luke and José.
thanks for the history lesson