Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

UTD_Since_1978

Premier league clubs are far better off financially than any other league in the world. Without a doubt. That's why others are worried about it becoming a defacto super league anyway.

Until EPL clubs sign the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Haaland, Lewandowsi, Neymar & other truly world class players who all currently ply their trade in other countries than the EPL will never be considered a true "Super League"

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How does it make sense when they are in the europa league right now and might not make it next year without him? Get him and increase their odds of success in it this season, and increase odds to get a higher position next year. I don't get the logic for them to wait a year. When you are in a peak window like they are now, the worst thing to do is delay and miss out on some potential glory, which is the ultimate point.
Once again, unlike manchester united, they just don't have £100M to spend.

And even of they didn't, really, what's the difference between signing him in june or august 31? 3 games? Hardly enough to compromise the season

It's the same reasoning that lead United to take a whole month to sign Bruno. Trying to improve is all well and good, but the long term financial stability of the club comes first. Quite simply, in a covid market, it makes little sense for anyone who doesn't either have a lot of money to spend or the immediate need of a big signing, to spend big on a player they can sign at a significantly cheaper price in the span of a year

Dante

Average bang
I've given up any hoping of making another signing. Might as well lock the Transfer Forum till January.

Red_toad

Until EPL clubs sign the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Haaland, Lewandowsi, Neymar & other truly world class players who all currently ply their trade in other countries then the EPL will never be considered a true "Super League"
What a load of tosh, they wanted to include 6 premier league clubs in the super league, so PL would have been over represented compared to any other league.we have the most competitive league and Champions league holders. By your logic Ligue 1 is the best league as 3 world class players play there!
Anyways back on thread, there’s still time and some of the targets we’re after have clubs holding out for bigger bids, but genuinely need a cash influx. So towards the last few days of the window we’ll make a move and prob see Jesse move on…

Gums

Until EPL clubs sign the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Haaland, Lewandowsi, Neymar & other truly world class players who all currently ply their trade in other countries then the EPL will never be considered a true "Super League"
Somewhat true and it would be a good thing for European football in general. But those numbers used to be higher. Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski are/will be on their final contracts and Haaland is possibly a season or two away from (maybe) coming to the EPL.

I don‘t think the EPL is solely to blame for the development. I think it‘s up to the other leagues to figure out ways to make their leagues more balanced and more attractive if they want to prevent the EPL becoming an almighty version of the Super League all but on paper. Considered or not.

Last edited:

maximus419

I've given up any hoping of making another signing. Might as well lock the Transfer Forum till January.
Totally agree. Just don't see utd making any moves now, already a very bloated squad with hardly any takers. Youngsters not likely to get much game time, making another signing just stops development of the kids. We owe it to them, to give them a chance, if a position in the squad becomes available, due to injury or loss of form.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Realistically I think £20 million for Lingard, £10 million for Pereira, £10 million for Dalot, £5 million for Chong are all perfectly fair prices whilst I just don’t see why Jones’ contract isn’t just ripped up or come to a mutual agreement as he’s as pointless on United’s books as I would be.
You want to get rid of Chong who is having a blinder couple games for Birmingham right now? Wow!

For what it’s worth, I still think we’re gonna be busy before the close of window. Trips & Neves in. Trips on deadline day.

Bobade

If we don't make another signing, that's fine with me. Would love to sign a midfielder, but we have brought in two top players in a window where most clubs are struggling.

Judas

Open to offers
Without any decent outs, I think we're done unfortunately. I want to believe, but it has gone oh so very quiet. My confidence on us buying a midfielder was partly based a lot on believing we'd actually sell people of worth, and we're clearly struggling to do that.

Pickle85

We did sign Ronaldo...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me the sudden rush of Loans Out is showing me we are potentially getting a new midfielder.

Pereira, Lingard and Garner out on loan = New Central area player in.

Red00012

For me the sudden rush of Loans Out is showing me we are potentially getting a new midfielder.

Our squad is overloaded and we can’t get clubs to pay for these players so that’s why it’s loans out . We wont see any more incomings this window.

mu4c_20le

Our squad is overloaded and we can’t get clubs to pay for these players so that’s why it’s loans out . We wont see any more incomings this window.
You won't be joining us for the deadline day frenzy I presume? :smirk:

jesperjaap

What a load of tosh, they wanted to include 6 premier league clubs in the super league, so PL would have been over represented compared to any other league.we have the most competitive league and Champions league holders. By your logic Ligue 1 is the best league as 3 world class players play there!
Anyways back on thread, there’s still time and some of the targets we’re after have clubs holding out for bigger bids, but genuinely need a cash influx. So towards the last few days of the window we’ll make a move and prob see Jesse move on…
I agee with you that the poster is wrong, we are arguably the best league in th world and we did just dominate the champions league.

However, I do feel there is a point he is making, it is the one thing our league is missing. When has our league signed one of the most sought after true superstar players in the world? There have been some huge signings and Varane and even Sancho now this season are perhaps the biggest two, Pogba and Veron, maybe Veron for us. But then look at the City and Chelsea signings.

I remember Linker mentioning this in the past, its the one thing our league generally has failed to do. The end of the last centtury the big stars went to Italy, generally now they go to SPain or even PSG and with the likes of Haalana and Mbappe, I feel this will continue

Brophs

The One and Only
If, say, Rashford looked likely to be back shortly and we could find buyers for Lingard and James I could see us doing something. Otherwise there’s no chance. There’s no money rattling around the market.

Joseunited

We're getting money for those going out on loan and the Sancho/Varane payments are structured so there's no reason why we can't finance another transfer.

Lights Out

I agee with you that the poster is wrong, we are arguably the best league in th world and we did just dominate the champions league.

However, I do feel there is a point he is making, it is the one thing our league is missing. When has our league signed one of the most sought after true superstar players in the world? There have been some huge signings and Varane and even Sancho now this season are perhaps the biggest two, Pogba and Veron, maybe Veron for us. But then look at the City and Chelsea signings.

I remember Linker mentioning this in the past, its the one thing our league generally has failed to do. The end of the last centtury the big stars went to Italy, generally now they go to SPain or even PSG and with the likes of Haalana and Mbappe, I feel this will continue
I agree but that isn’t to say we haven’t had players in the PL that have developed into world class stars though. Suarez, De Bruyne, Aguero etc Even Kante to a certain extent.

I’ve always thought that something as immaterial as climate and culture plays a huge part. I know if I had a choice between Madrid and Manchester or Barcelona and Liverpool, I’d have decided before you could say ‘dos Cruz Campo por favor’

Castia

We need a midfielder but it’s hard to moan after signing Sancho and Varane that’s probably already beyond what I was expecting. I generally feel if we can sell 2-3 players then a late move might happen, we need West Ham to come in for Jesse Lingard.

crossy1686

career ending
If, say, Rashford looked likely to be back shortly and we could find buyers for Lingard and James I could see us doing something. Otherwise there’s no chance. There’s no money rattling around the market.
What's this obsession with selling James? He isn't going anywhere

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

English clubs generally don't pay superstar wages. Cristiano, Messi, Neymar, Mbappé, Bale, Hazard, Griezmann all earn roughly double what the highest paid PL stars do.

This might change next year with Halaand

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s well down the pecking order. Sancho coming in and Pogba playing left quite a bit hasn’t helped. If someone put £20m on the table he’d be off, I think.

Utd77

Lingard and maybe Matic out, Neves and Trippier in, hopefully.

Hanky panky

We may sign one player more if sell one/some players. Lingard maybe. But if not, this have still be a good window with Varane and Sancho in. Yes, we need midfielder but it may go to summer 2022. Our squad is already quite competive.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We're getting money for those going out on loan and the Sancho/Varane payments are structured so there's no reason why we can't finance another transfer.
Or you could see it as them being structured that way because believe it or not losing massive income the last year and a half has also hit United (as much as everyone wants to believe otherwise)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
English clubs generally don't pay superstar wages. Cristiano, Messi, Neymar, Mbappé, Bale, Hazard, Griezmann all earn roughly double what the highest paid PL stars do.

Hang on though, look at what’s happened to those clubs, the chickens are coming home to roost

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think most clubs are still apprehensive to be the first to spend and are waiting to see what bargains could be have at the end of the window when clubs start to panic sell.

I think United are going to keep their powder dry until then, happy enough to go into next season as is but also with an eye out for a quality midfielder for a good price.

Joseunited

Or you could see it as them being structured that way because believe it or not losing massive income the last year and a half has also hit United (as much as everyone wants to believe otherwise)
I don't disagree that we haven't been hit hard by the pandemic and if we were to make another signing i'm sure we'd go down the same road with structured payments.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hang on though, look at what’s happened to those clubs, the chickens are coming home to roost
Not saying it's good/bad policy, just pointing out why you don't see those kind of superstars in england

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He’s well down the pecking order. Sancho coming in and Pogba playing left quite a bit hasn’t helped. If someone put £20m on the table he’d be off, I think.
He's starting at the moment, so he's not that far down is he?

crossy1686

career ending
He started the last match and will probably start tomorrow. He's not that far down the options table

jesperjaap

I agree but that isn’t to say we haven’t had players in the PL that have developed into world class stars though. Suarez, De Bruyne, Aguero etc Even Kante to a certain extent.

I’ve always thought that something as immaterial as climate and culture plays a huge part. I know if I had a choice between Madrid and Manchester or Barcelona and Liverpool, I’d have decided before you could say ‘dos Cruz Campo por favor’
Yes I agree we have certainly developed plenty of stars within our league, doesnt really get bigger than Ronaldo after all. In all honesty I find that more pleasing that signing a ready made superstar, seeing the players grow and develop.

The fact remains, we havent really signed them though and yes I agree the lifestyle and culture plays a big part in that but so does the sheer size of Madrid and Barcelona as well as clubs

jesperjaap

Yes and going back a long way we as a club would never compete with Serie A wages for example, we had a limit.

For me personally, I am not sure I am so keen on seeing someone like Haaland here on £600k+....though I dont see it happening anyway

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Has a long for lingard been confirmed anywhere? I was hoping we could raise some funds with a sale - and he’s in the last year of his contract isn’t he?

davidmichael

You want to get rid of Chong who is having a blinder couple games for Birmingham right now? Wow!

For what it’s worth, I still think we’re gonna be busy before the close of window. Trips & Neves in. Trips on deadline day.
Do you think because Chong has played a couple of great games for Birmingham in The Championship we should keep him ? Is he going to play ahead of Sancho, Greenwood or Diallo on the right ?

He’s been here for years and shown he’s not good enough so rather than keeping a load of players who aren’t good enough we should move them on, far too much sentiment for players that have no future for us which is why we’re overloaded with filler and deadwood when we should be a lot more ruthless.

Chairman Steve

Chong seems like a good chance to be our Rhian Brewster in that a talented youngster can go out on loan and do well, but we’ll sell at a good price while his worth is high.

Utd have to get it into their head that the majority of academy guys won’t make it at the desired Utd level.

Chong could have a great season at Birmingham then we have him back in the Utd squad and he’ll look average as feck again, barely play and the value goes through the floor, and undoubtedly we’d probably hand him £70k a week and a 6 year contract the moment he came back from Birmingham.

And then the people who believe any Utd academy player is automatically destined to be great and give the old “Utd is all about youth given a chance” spiel, will be the same people complaining why do we have these very ordinary players on such high wages and long contracts in a few years time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do you think because Chong has played a couple of great games for Birmingham in The Championship we should keep him ? Is he going to play ahead of Sancho, Greenwood or Diallo on the right ?

He’s been here for years and shown he’s not good enough so rather than keeping a load of players who aren’t good enough we should move them on, far too much sentiment for players that have no future for us which is why we’re overloaded with filler and deadwood when we should be a lot more ruthless.
@Chairman Steve

I don't think Chong has ever looked United quality -

But what's happened is that he is playing in a new position (Centre midfield) and looking like a better/new player.

Not sure if he is still good enough or not, but is playing like a new player.

AneRu

Because he is 4th or 5th choice when everyone is fit, he doesn't have an impact in our attacking play so is easily replaceable by a youth player and he would bring money. Money we could use to sign a player we actually need and who could contribute more to the team effort to win silverware for the club.