Luis Nani | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm hereby tipping Nani for a fine MOM performance against Spurs tonight. You can quote me on this.
Hope you're right mate. Nani is one of the most frustrating players in the Premier League. He can be utterly unstoppable one week as he was against City in the Shield and then be all too wasteful and predictable the next like against Brom. If he was only consistent I'm sure the title of this thread would seem redundant. People wouldn't be asking if Nani was the Premier League's best they'd be asking if he was the world's best.

Nani firing on all cylinders really is that good. As an outside forward only Ronaldo is clearly better than Nani if you compare them at 100%, its just that Ronaldo is usually at or close to 100% 9 times out of 10 whereas Nanis at 100% more like 6 or 7 out of 10. Its the ability of the elite players to do it week in week out that seperates them from the pack and hopefully Nani this year or next will develop that reliability.

I'm always right

Hope you're right mate. Nani is one of the most frustrating players in the Premier League. He can be utterly unstoppable one week as he was against City in the Shield and then be all too wasteful and predictable the next like against Brom. If he was only consistent I'm sure the title of this thread would seem redundant. People wouldn't be asking if Nani was the Premier League's best they'd be asking if he was the world's best.
Still think some posters were harsh on him vs. West Brom, most of the play went down Young's wing, probably because WBA left Young one on one often whereas they didn't do that with Nani.

ciderman9000000

Well anyway, I've just put my £10 on Rooney to score a brace at 6/1, but I reckon Nani will really come flying out the blocks tonight.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Still think some posters were harsh on him vs. West Brom, most of the play went down Young's wing, probably because WBA left Young one on one often whereas they didn't do that with Nani.
Brunt likely covered the most ground out of anyone with him constantly tracking Young, he wasn't one-on-one.

Cina

feck me, I can't believe people still use that consistency bullshit after the last 18 months he's had (apart from after the Carragher injury).

Such nonsense.

I'm always right

feck me, I can't believe people still use that consistency bullshit after the last 18 months he's had (apart from after the Carragher injury).

Such nonsense.
Come on cina, he MUST be very good in EVERY game to be "consistent". 7 out of 10 games is just not good enough :lol:

Who the feck (attacking player) is good for 10 out of 10 games?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Weird that cause Young was TOTALLY one on one for the first goal and the second too. :confused:

Brunt was there on the 2nd, he was the "one".
It's up to the winger to create one on one situations.

If that "one" is a winger who's not a great tackler, so much the better. The fact that Brunt was the closest player for the second goal kind of backs up Brwned's point that Young had a defender and winger on his case for most of the game.

I'm always right

It's up to the winger to manufacture one on one situations by getting into intelligent positions and isolating the nearest defender.

If that "one" is a winger who's not a great tackler, so much the better. The fact that Brunt was the closest player for the second goal kind of backs up Brwned's point that Young had a defender and winger on his case for most of the game.
But come on Pogue, you know full well that it can be difficult for a winger to engineer one on one situations if the opposition have clear tactics to prevent it.

All I was saying about Young was that for the 2 big moments in the game he was left completely one on one, it doesn't matter who the "one" was.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
But come on Pogue, you know full well that it can be difficult for a winger to engineer one on one situations if the opposition have clear tactics to prevent it.

All I was saying about Young was that for the 2 big moments in the game he was left completely one on one, it doesn't matter who the "one" was.
I didn't see any clear tactics to target Nani and allow Young extra space though. I just saw Nani having a poor game tbh.

It happens though. Nani's more like Giggs, while Young/Valencia are more like Beckham/Kanchelskis.

The former is a world beater on his game but always capable of throwing in the occasional absolute stinker. Being a bit flaky is the price of genius, if you will.

The latter players are less likely to stink the place out but also less likely to light it up with genuinely world class performances.

I'm always right

I didn't see any clear tactics to target Nani and allow Young extra space though. I just saw Nani having a poor game tbh.

It happens though. Nani's more like Giggs, while Young/Valencia are more like Beckham/Kanchelskis.

The former is a world beater on his game but always capable of throwing in the occasional absolute stinker. Being a bit flaky is the price of genius, if you will.

The latter players are less likely to stink the place out but also less likely to light it up and win games with moments of absolute brilliance.
I'd certainly go along with most of that, disagree that he had a "poor game" though, just that he didn't get into the game. United played so much down the left, there must have been a reason for that? For example, look how often Smalling got involved high up vs. City, something he didn't do at the Hawthorns.

Aint gota Kalou

Such nonsense.
Exactly, since he's been in the team after the Hull game in 2010 he's been our most consistent attacker.

Only towards the back end of last season did he really go through a dip in his game and that was probably down to the crunching tackle that Carragher did on him.

Nani is as consistent as any attacking player in world football (barring Messi and Ronaldo) but yet he's still got this label. It's all a bit weird.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Even if he's blowing chances & getting stick from his teammates, Nani keeps trying; and, often, he ends up scoring.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'd certainly go along with most of that, disagree that he had a "poor game" though, just that he didn't get into the game. United played so much down the left, there must have been a reason for that? For example, look how often Smalling got involved high up vs. City, something he didn't do at the Hawthorns.
That can all be explained by Nani having a poor game.

The CMs will tend to try and pick out the more effective winger on the day and the fullback on his flank will tend to look a lot more dangerous.

Cina

Come on cina, he MUST be very good in EVERY game to be "consistent". 7 out of 10 games is just not good enough :lol:

Who the feck (attacking player) is good for 10 out of 10 games?
I know, it was more like 8 or 9 games out of 10, but dammit, that one game just makes him too inconsistent.

I think some people just don't like him as a person and can't see past it.

In-fecking-consistent.

I'm always right

That can all be explained by Nani having a poor game.

The CMs will tend to try and pick out the more effective winger on the day and the fullback on his flank will tend to look a lot more dangerous.
Nar, we went left from the first whistle, due to there being more room out there.

Cina

Nar, we went left from the first whistle, due to their being more room out there.
We did but in truth, Nani didn't do much at all when he had the ball. It was a poor game from him, regardless of how much he was on the ball.

I'm expecting him to run riot against Spurs tonight though.

Amir

I think Nani's two misses in the first half against West Brom swayed people's thoughts about his performance, a little harshly.

Widnes

Such nonsense.
It baffles me, he is without doubt one of our most consistent performers these days.

AttackingFlair

Hasn't Fergie even said himself that he chooses to attack a certain side at times? I can't remember which team it was, but he said it when Valencia was doing well against a full back and you could see Scholes kept looking for that pass.

RedLars

Bad game by his standards last weekend. Tonight will be a different story altogether, just wait and see!

RedLars

It's not consistent until he's done it at least two seasons straight in my opinion, Sharky.

Name Changed

weso26
Nani has too many poor games to be considered consistent, in my honest opinion. He is improving greatly though in that department. His stats will show he sets up a goal every second or third game or whatever, but he disappears for long periods in some games. Sometimes he is brilliant, sometimes he is crap. He is definitely leaning more towards the brilliant these days, to be fair.

RedLars

So you'll consider him consistent in January then?
I was just playing along with your joke, if that was unclear. I've been advocating the fact that Nani is our most important attacking player alongside Rooney and one of the best players in the league around here since the start of last season.

The inconsistent-choir amuses me. Bar Messi and Ronaldo, there are very few players that consistently create as much as him. The occasional off-day and a natural ebb and flow to his form is hardly something which should take that away.

ciderman9000000

Nani has too many poor games to be considered consistent, in my honest opinion. He is improving greatly though in that department. His stats will show he sets up a goal every second or third game or whatever, but he disappears for long periods in some games. Sometimes he is brilliant, sometimes he is crap. He is definitely leaning more towards the brilliant these days, to be fair.
Who in the Premier League has been more consistent than Nani?

Shimo

I can't recall many poor games from Nani recently. In games he goes invisible in, perhaps sometimes it's of his own doing but, there are also team reasons that happens. Like against WBA we went down the left more often than not. If that was because of tactics or that the CM felt that Young was having a better day or whatever it was, Nani saw very little of the ball.

I think it's a mistake we make actually in that we end up favoring one wing more in a game. With such good wingers, we should be able to keep teams a little more unbalanced and perhaps even have the wingers swap sides more.

AttackingFlair

Is it just me or did Nani win the ball back a shit load of times in midfield? He's great defensively as well as his attacking qualities.

Cina

Are you fecking kidding me? he was scoring and setting up goals in every single game last year. Did you even see his goals and assists record? He also should have had an assist or 2 last night with his brilliant crosses but Rooney missed a sister and nobody seemed to want to get on the end of the other crosses.

Nani does not disappear in a lot of games, it's a myth, a joke to even say. He's just a risky player and sometimes he doesn't pull things off because of it. He's not afraid to run at players or take shots or difficult crosses, which means he can pull things off less than the likes of Young or Valencia who play much safer. But that doesn't mean he has poor games because more often than not, he pulls off this stuff enough to end up creating a few opportunities or scoring goals himself.

It's just baffling how people still think he's inconsistent as a player. Do you guys just dislike his face or something?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Nani oozes class, the way he can skip around challenges from several players and distribute it calmly too a player open in space. For a winger he rarely concedes possession.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is it just me or did Nani win the ball back a shit load of times in midfield? He's great defensively as well as his attacking qualities.
Wasn't just you he's taken his game on again in that area. Nani has the potential to become one of the best players in the World if not the best. There are those who argue that Nani can never be better than Ronaldo and if you look at football in abstract maybe thats true. But football is practical not theoretical game e.g. Messi isn't as good at heading as Ronaldo but in practice does that make him less effective?

What seperates Messi and Ronaldo from the likes of Nani who is probably on the level below is their almost inhuman level of consistency. The two of them produce their best form almost consistently. Messi particularly simply doesn't seem to have off days. Nani, at the moment does, probably 3 days out of 10 he'll be off his game whereas for Ronaldo its probably 1 and for Messi virtually 0. And yes its a serious ask to go further but I think Nani's capable. He's already the best winger in the Premier League and with that little extra...

I feel Nani could one day win the Ballon d'or.

I'm always right

His put a right shift in last night, spotted that too. Won the ball back a lot.

Not vintage Nani but a decent shot, 2 sensational crosses, a few good moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.