Luis Nani | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Nani may well decide to be 'unreasonable' and have gotten the idea into his head that he should be one of the players on a ridiculous wage at a club like Anzhi or Shanghai or City. If that's the case, he can leave, we won't be paying those wages.

If he's making a reasonable request for a raise then I hope we give it to him.

Nani has all the physical talent in the world, I just wish we could put Giggsy's brain in his head, he makes the game much harder for himself than he needs to most of the time.

He's a top player, but I feel he could become our top goal scorer if he honed his skill to it's maximum.

I'm always right

To be fair, Giggs' off field stuff never affected his on field form (I think)
I'm not just talking about off-field. Giggsy has been rather wasteful for his entire career, but he still creates enough for people to forget about the amount of poor passes/decisions he makes. Nani also creates enough too, so I don't see how sticking Giggsy's brain in there would make any difference.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Nani and Rooney are the only players who can win a game for us on their own. anyone who denies that is either blind or a fecking idiot. both Val and Young (more often than not) need somebody else to meet the end of their cross/pass and score. Nani can singelhandly bring the ball from deep defensive postion to advanced postions and score/ asisst. the only player who dribbles past defenders with ease, pace to burn and fantastic, crisp finishing. inconsistent, aye but clearly the best winger at this club.

Will Absolute

Nani and Rooney are the only players who can win a game for us on their own. anyone who denies that is either blind or a fecking idiot. both Val and Young (more often than not) need somebody else to meet the end of their cross/pass and score. Nani can singelhandly bring the ball from deep defensive postion to advanced postions and score/ asisst. the only player who dribbles past defenders with ease, pace to burn and fantastic, crisp finishing. inconsistent, aye but clearly the best winger at this club.
On what planet has Rooney been winning games on his own? It's a long time since Wayne was a matchwinner, in the sense of turning a game by a piece of individual brilliance.

finneh

If we sold Nani, I think I'd genuinely question the direction this club is heading. He's invaluable.
Agreed. To replace him would cost North of £30m and probably £150k+ a week in wages anyway, so letting him go would be stupid.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Nani>Valencia. Don't get me wrong I actually like Valencia more than I like Nani and if only he would shoot more he might become even more effective than he is now. However, technically Nani is the more gifted player. His close control is unbelievably good and when his confidence is high he's almost unplayable.

Its easy to forget just how good he was at the start of the season but cast your mind back to that devastating performance against Chelsea, for one. Really with the way Valencia's form started dipping a bit with the QPR game Nani should've come back into the first XI earlier and that was shown by how effective he was against Everton.

Nani has more variation, greater range of ability. He's simply the better player. I'm not his greatest fan and I'm as inclined to groan about him as anyone but in the cold light of day nobody can deny Nani is better than either Young or Valencia.

Letting him go into the last 2 years of his contract would be very silly.
I honestly don't ever remember Ashley Cole suffer as much as he did that day against any other winger.Nani was taking the piss

kietotheworld

No player can win a game on their own, the concept is completely ridiculous. The statement is only even vaguely reasonable if you strip out all meaning from it to something like being capable of providing a winning goal with a piece of brilliance, in which case we have plenty of players who can do that - Ashley Young (eg. against Spurs), Antonio Valencia (eg. Wigan), Paul Scholes, Danny Welbeck, Wayne Rooney, even Carrick has done exceptional things in the past. Nani might be slightly more likely to do it, but it's so rare it's barely worth considering.

neno

Most important game being the champions league final, how did we do that night then? Nani was our best player when he came on. Was a bad decision to leave him out.
yeah probably the worst decision I have seen SAF make for a while, plus the fact that he decided to play 4-4-2 against barca with a 37 year old. we looked so much better when nani came on, scholes coming on also helped a lost cause.

oh and dont get me started on the team he sent out at shitty this year... In the 2 biggest games in the last two seasons he has fed up.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Nani may well decide to be 'unreasonable' and have gotten the idea into his head that he should be one of the players on a ridiculous wage at a club like Anzhi or Shanghai or City. If that's the case, he can leave, we won't be paying those wages.

If he's making a reasonable request for a raise then I hope we give it to him.

Nani has all the physical talent in the world, I just wish we could put Giggsy's brain in his head, he makes the game much harder for himself than he needs to most of the time.

He's a top player, but I feel he could become our top goal scorer if he honed his skill to it's maximum.
Giggs is miles more wasteful than Nani. It's infuriating watching him play sometimes.

No disrespect obviously, it's just that Giggs' football brain, whatever that means, is vastly overrated.

yeah probably the worst decision I have seen SAF make for a while, plus the fact that he decided to play 4-4-2 against barca with a 37 year old. we looked so much better when nani came on, scholes coming on also helped a lost cause.

oh and dont get me started on the team he sent out at shitty this year... In the 2 biggest games in the last two seasons he has fed up.

I think this is one of those things that seems right in hindsight but, when you actually consider what went on leading up to that Barcelona game, Nani's omission was not unreasonable. I love Nani, don't get me wrong, I think he's our most gifted footballer, but at the time I remember thinking it would've been madness to break up the consistency of the team we had, especially given that it would've meant dropping an in-form Park or Valencia for an off-form Nani.

We had a good system going there - I don't think we could've beaten that Barcelona team in that mood whatever team we sent out. I can understand wanting Nani to have played to help us keep the ball and provide that bit of magic, but if that had backfired we would've been going on about the madness of Fergie for breaking up a team that got us there and drove us to the Premiership title.

neno

Giggs is miles more wasteful than Nani. It's infuriating watching him play sometimes.

No disrespect obviously, it's just that Giggs' football brain, whatever that means, is vastly overrated.

I think this is one of those things that seems right in hindsight but, when you actually consider what went on leading up to that Barcelona game, Nani's omission was not unreasonable. I love Nani, don't get me wrong, I think he's our most gifted footballer, but at the time I remember thinking it would've been madness to break up the consistency of the team we had, especially given that it would've meant dropping an in-form Park or Valencia for an off-form Nani.

We had a good system going there - I don't think we could've beaten that Barcelona team in that mood whatever team we sent out. I can understand wanting Nani to have played to help us keep the ball and provide that bit of magic, but if that had backfired we would've been going on about the madness of Fergie for breaking up a team that got us there and drove us to the Premiership title.
not really... shalke and a chelsea in crisis are nothing compared to that barcelona team that had just come back from winning the world cup the previous summer and had all their players in top form. there is no chance in hell we would have beaten them with park as a winger and giggs in cm.

nani on the other hand came on and instantly almost scored. I do believe that if we would have started with two of the three players that are suited for playing barca which are nani and scholes (the other berbatov). rooney would have had more chances of killing off a second and maybe one more. we would'nt have taken part in the most one sided final since milan put 4 past barcelona.

playing chicharito and park was very naive, especially with the formation we used. a simple question would answer this dilemma: which of the two would have the best chances for starting at bayern, barca or real? i think its pretty obvious and its nani. if we had a world class midfield that can actually keep and get back the ball, nani would be a definite starter. thats our problem we have to play with wingers like park to make up for or "past it" left back and "young n learnin'" right back and a "no balls" average midfield.

I'm always right

chelsea in crisis
Common misconception. Chelsea were not in crises at that point.

I'm one of Nani's biggest fans but the man has a point, even I was thinking "maybe we should keep it as it is" going into the final.

After 45 minutes though I realized we'd picked the completely wrong team. Should've been a proper 4-5-1 and Nani should obviously have been in.

Zen

He's like 2 leagues below Ronaldo....kids got delusions of grandeur, I'll give him that. And he's not as close as marketable as either Ronaldo was or Rooney which is a big thing for Utd contracts.

Though it would of been easier to sell if they got Hazard.

neno

Common misconception. Chelsea were not in crises at that point.

I'm one of Nani's biggest fans but the man has a point, even I was thinking "maybe we should keep it as it is" going into the final.

After 45 minutes though I realized we'd picked the completely wrong team. Should've been a proper 4-5-1 and Nani should obviously have been in.

That Chelsea side beat us at SB the month earlier (albeit as a result of a dubious penalty).

A lot of revisionism seems to be made about that quarter-final victory.
prob. not in crisis but they where in decline. their recent cl win is one of those "one off/name on it/ no matter what happens/ porto" wins. how can u get supremely dominated in both semis and the final, against two of the best teams around and not lose once? They were not and aren't the powerhouse of 2005-2009. Also their 2010 league win was due to: (1) not having any proper competition, (2) drogba having his best season evah, (3) and nice gift from a ref.

Crustanoid

We need to stop getting slack over contract renewals. This should have already been sorted

Cina

He's like 2 leagues below Ronaldo....kids got delusions of grandeur, I'll give him that. And he's not as close as marketable as either Ronaldo was or Rooney which is a big thing for Utd contracts.

Though it would of been easier to sell if they got Hazard.
Ah, another hater makes his way into the thread.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Has it been said in here yet, Nani's fecking brilliant. We really cannot be losing a player of his quality.

I'm always right

prob. not in crisis but they where in decline. their recent cl win is one of those "one off name on it no matter what porto" wins. how can u get supremely dominated in both semis and the final against two of the best teams around and not lose once? they were not the powerhouse of 2005-2009 anymore. and their 2010 league win was due to having no proper competition, drogba having his best season, and nice gift from a ref.
Add punctuation and I might read this.

Zen

"He's like 2 leagues below Ronaldo....kids got delusions of grandeur, I'll give him that."

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
IMO Nani is our first or second best player, who could join a host of top European teams and be a success, I really hope he stays, it'd be a huge blow for us if he went. He adds a dimension to our wingers that we do not otherwise have, a cliché, but one of those players who can make a goal out of nothing.

Cina

He doesn't actually say he's as good as Ronaldo in his quotes, you know?

I'm always right

"He's like 2 leagues below Ronaldo....kids got delusions of grandeur, I'll give him that."
You haven't answered me, you gave your opinion that he is like 2 leagues below Ronaldo, most players are in fairness. But you still haven't answered why he's "got delusions of grandeur, I'll give him that."

:confused:

Zen

IMO Nani is our first or second best player, who could join a host of top European teams and be a success, I really hope he stays, it'd be a huge blow for us if he went. He adds a dimension to our wingers that we do not otherwise have, a cliché, but one of those players who can make a goal out of nothing.
He's better than them....but Valencia and Young can create goals out of nothing, it's one of the key aspects of being a winger tbf. We simply have too many traditional wingers, and we need a playmaking one, which is something I can only assume Fergie also believes considering the strong interest in Hazard AND Kagawa, which more than suggested Hazard would be playmaking on the wing like Silva. Whether some of you like it or not, Nani is just as expendable as either Young or Valencia, possibly more so given his demands should we decide to look elsewhere for a inside winger.

But I'm just a hater, what do I know. My minds clouded by so much hate and rage towards a player whos mostly done a great job for us.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
You haven't answered me, you gave your opinion that he is like 2 leagues below Ronaldo, most players are in fairness. But you still haven't answered why he's "got delusions of grandeur, I'll give him that."

:confused:
Nani - “My challenge is to be the best, be the number one and show that on the field. Myself and Cristiano make up two of the best wingers in the world and our statistics for our club show that.”

I'm always right

Nani - “My challenge is to be the best, be the number one and show that on the field. Myself and Cristiano make up two of the best wingers in the world and our statistics for our club show that.”
Because he challenges himself to be the best? That isn't delusions of grandeur, calling himself the best would be. That quote just shows he knows he still has to work harder and improve.

And he is one of the best wingers in the World, no question.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
He's better than them....but Valencia and Young can create goals out of nothing, it's one of the key aspects of being a winger tbf. We simply have too many traditional wingers, and we need a playmaking one, which is something I can only assume Fergie also believes considering the strong interest in Hazard AND Kagawa, which more than suggested Hazard would be playmaking on the wing like Silva. Whether some of you like it or not, Nani is just as expendable as either Young or Valencia, possibly more so given his demands should we decide to look elsewhere for a inside winger.

But I'm just a hater, what do I know. My minds clouded by so much hate and rage towards a player whos mostly done a great job for us.

IMO Valencia is a pure traditional winger, Nani is mostly a wide attacker, and Young is somewhere in between, leaning toward traditional.

I wouldn't say Valencia can make a goal from nothing. He can constantly beat his man and whip in a cross. Sure, some of these crosses result in a goal, but it's arguably quite luck based, if you put in enough, eventually someone will score from them. Nani can beat 1..2..3.. men and either score a long distance shot, make a one-two with another player, put in another player on goal or go on to score any type of delicate finish himself.

That is just to highlight my definition of 'making a goal out of nothing', and like I say I think Young is somewhere in between.

Cina

And he is one of the best wingers in the World, no question.
Exactly, it's not exactly a false statement. I assume people are claiming it's 'delusional' because he's mentioning Ronaldo in the same sentence, but he's not claiming to be as good as him.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair, he has to talk about himself alongside Ronaldo as they play for the same team. As wingers go, yes, they're among the best in the word. I wouldn't infer from those comments that Nani somehow thinks himself and Ronaldo are out on their own, way ahead of the best of the rest. Don't see any delusions of grandeur in what he said.

I wish he wouldn't come out with the same "only god knows the future" shite his buddy once did though. I prefer players to shut the feck up while negotiations are ongoing. Sending 'come and get me' pleas to other clubs is irritating.

I'm always right

I wish he wouldn't come out with the same "only god knows the future" shite his buddy once did though. I prefer players to shut the feck up while negotiations are ongoing. Sending 'come and get me' pleas to other clubs is irritating.
Yeah me too, but most seem to be feckers these days when it comes to contract renewals.

Cina

Seems pretty much every footballer is fed this shit by their agents nowadays, generic nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.