Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Male

The worst part for me was that he didn't even try to take up a threatening position out on the right, he just constantly came inside which, with Welbeck naturally coming in from the left, meant that we couldn't stretch them at all.

He played right into Baines' hands tonight. It was a woefully inept, even stupid, performance.

A grade

The Languid One
Lurking in Berba's receeding hairline, stroking my
He is the second top assister in the whole league over the past three seasons I believe.
I should have been more clear and said his corner kicks rather than general crossing. I am not convinced about his ratio of good (meaning in danger areas in the box, don't always have to be an assist) vs. bad crosses/corner kicks. I remember being frequently frustrated by his crosses and corner kicks. Pretty sure that most of his assists came from passes on the ground and frequently playing throught the middle.

Crossing is not one of Nani's strengths, on the back of his last two seasons in particular?

Okay then.

Yes, personal opinion is that it is not consistent enough. Meant his corners rather than crosses.

No, he doesn't want to be like Ronaldo. Your speaking of him being selfish, and in the next sentence you speak about his
crossing. Selfish players tend not to cross too often, and Nani's always one of our top assisters, it just didn't really work for him tonight.
He is a winger and by default he will cross frequently. You don't think that Nani is selfish and always looks for the best pass?

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I should have been more clear and said his corner kicks rather than general crossing. I am not convinced about his ratio of good (meaning in danger areas in the box, don't always have to be an assist) vs. bad crosses/corner kicks. I remember being frequently frustrated by his crosses and corner kicks. Pretty sure that most of his assists came from passes on the ground and frequently playing throught the middle.

Yes, personal opinion is that it is not consistent enough. Meant his corners rather than crosses.

He is a winger and by default he will cross frequently. You don't think that Nani is selfish and always looks for the best pass?
It sounds as though you want him to be like valencia, who always plays the simple ball and runs to the byline and crosses. Most wingers in football nowadays come inside and try other things, and nani is no exception. You have to take the good with the bad and tonight was pretty bad, but more often than not he is a bloody top player. Every top player needs to have a bit of a selfish streak in them otherwise everything would just be too predictable.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Funny the way so many people accused Baines of not being able to defend. I think Nani's still in his pocket now.
The infuriating thing is at Old Trafford only a few months ago Nani destroyed Baines time and time again and in the 4-4 was arguably our best player. Its literally astonishing that he can go from that level of productivity to tonight having had a very, very good Euro's in between. There's simply no easy way to explain it.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
The infuriating thing is at Old Trafford only a few months ago Nani destroyed Baines time and time again and in the 4-4 was arguably our best player. Its literally astonishing that he can go from that level of productivity to tonight having had a very, very good Euro's in between. There's simply no easy way to explain it.
Here's a simple way. He was crap tonight.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Nani didn't help his contract negotiations tonight. Along with Rooney, he was bloody awful.

Steven Seagull

Don't think he's selfish or greedy at all. That's just some lazy foreign winger stereotype bollocks. I'd actually rather see him run at players and be more direct. Have more faith in his strength and pace. He was dreadful tonight though, don't remember a single thing he did right. His corners are bizarre too, if you flick the ball as if you're playing a 10 yard pass, it's going to go 10 yards and get cleared for christ sake. Kick it fecking properly!

MUFCgal

Don't think he's selfish or greedy at all. That's just some lazy foreign winger stereotype bollocks. I'd actually rather see him run at players and be more direct. Have more faith in his strength and pace. He was dreadful tonight though, don't remember a single thing he did right. His corners are bizarre too, if you flick the ball as if you're playing a 10 yard pass, it's going to go 10 yards and get cleared for christ sake. Kick it fecking properly!
Too casual you see.

Ekeke

Funny the way so many people accused Baines of not being able to defend. I think Nani's still in his pocket now.
Nobody seems to like Baines' hair. Thought he played very well tonight against Nani and Valencia when he took over on the right. Very few of the attempted crosses came into the box and when they finally did they werent of a good quality

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Nobody seems to like Baines' hair. Thought he played very well tonight against Nani and Valencia when he took over on the right. Very few of the attempted crosses came into the box and when they finally did they werent of a good quality
Too many split ends for my liking.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
piss poor, diabolical, whatever you call it. Play Valencia on the right ASAP, give Nani a go at left side, hoping this game was one-off.

I've said some times ago that nani is the most frustrating player ever, I haven't been proved wrong yet. How can a potentially world-class player be so shit at times? struggling to make a successfull, 5-yard pass?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
piss poor, diabolical, whatever you call it. Play Valencia on the right ASAP, give Nani a go at left side, hoping this game was one-off.

I've said some times ago that nani is the most frustrating player ever, I haven't been proved wrong yet. How can a potentially world-class player be so shit at times? struggling to make a successfull, 5-yard pass?
Young misplaced same type of pass just when he was introduced. Nani's passing wasn't the problem, he didn't misplaced to many passes at all, it was his allround performance.

Tomuś

Young played it too close to Hibbert, which allowed him to tackle the ball. nani on the other hand basically kicked the ball out of play. I'm yet to understand what was he trying to do.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Young played it too close to Hibbert, which allowed him to tackle the ball. nani on the other hand basically kicked the ball out of play. I'm yet to understand what was he trying to do.
There is no big difference really, pass it to oposition player, or kick the ball out of play.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Love dipping in and out of this thread. Would love to know the number of you lot who've played as a winger before, let alone a winger in a professional capacity.
I played/play as a winger (more of a right midfielder really). Give me the rundown.

Jacob

Valencia will always be a better winger than Nani, there's no doubt about that.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Nani is a very intelligent player, it seems his poor spell early on in his career has led to a few myths which will continue to be perpetuated every time he misplaces a pass or doesn't send a peach of cross in. He just had a bad game tonight, he's our best crosser of a ball and a brilliant player.

Jacob

Nani is a very intelligent player, it seems his poor spell early on in his career has led to a few myths which will continue to be perpetuated every time he misplaces a pass or doesn't send a peach of cross in. He just had a bad game tonight, he's our best crosser of a ball and a brilliant player.
Debatable, I personally prefer Valencia's drilled crosses which seem to be more effective when we have no aerial threat up top. In addition, Young is not far off Nani's crossing ability either, he has more of a bend on it which can cause some serious damage.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Debatable, I personally prefer Valencia's drilled crosses which seem to be more effective when we have no aerial threat up top. In addition, Young is not far off Nani's crossing ability either, he has more of a bend on it which can cause some serious damage.
Valencia is more consistent and Young is a good crosser but Nani is better IMO.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I think on balance he was our worst player - not to excuse Rooney or anything but when you know how good Nani can be, when you see performances like that when nothing goes right for him it is very irritating.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He seems to lose some self confidence. I hope he can find his form back. He has the potential to be the best player in the world. Seriously.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He seems to lose some self confidence. I hope he can find his form back. He has the potential to be the best player in the world. Seriously.
Hes certainly got the ability, but he reaches his top level only 5 times a year most probably, its his biggest issue.

I'm always right

You lot are fecking bananas.

We lost a very tricky first game of the season away, we're notoriously slow-starters, we had to play our modt influential midfielder at CB.

Redcafe.... Rooney & Nani are crap.

Decotron

Agree completely

We lost a very tricky first game of the season away, we're notoriously slow-starters, we had to play our modt influential midfielder at CB.

:lol:

Maajid

Formerly Mad

This post makes no sense. Yes we had Carrick in defence and no-Carrick in midfield but we had possession, Rooney and Nani had the ball in good positions - something they never took advantage of. Your post would be logical if we were blaming them for us conceding the goal or them not winning enough headers against Fellaini (!).

Tomuś

Exactly, our midfield did pretty well, the possession was there, and they did provide our attacking players with the ball high up in the pitch. It was our attacking front which let us down.

I'm always right

Exactly, our midfield did pretty well, the possession was there, and they did provide our attacking players with the ball high up in the pitch. It was our attacking front which let us down.
Don't disagree with this, but don't over-analyse it and start claiming that Rooney/Nani aren't that good. Everton away was a very tough place to start the season and a few players looked rusty, simple as that really.

Tomuś

Don't disagree with this, but don't over-analyse it and start claiming that Rooney/Nani aren't that good. Everton away was a very tough place to start the season and a few players looked rusty, simple as that really.
I'm not saying Nani or Rooney aren't good. Just that they were diabolical last night. No movement whatsoever - Scholes was crying at times for anyone to show up unmarked in further areas. And when they got the ball, they did nothing with it. Welbeck at least tried, although I stick by my opiunion he should have scored, at least shouldn't have let Jagielka make those tackles.

I'm always right

But some are Tomus, even bloody geebs pitched in with some rubbish about how he'd play Valencia over Nani every time. As though Tony as never had a poor game??!

A few players, Nani & Rooney looked rusty, hardly that surprising. Plus, Everton defended superbly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Like Rooney is in the great Distin's, then.

Regarding the thread in general:

Nani had a shocking second half. First half he was okay. He had those two terrible moments in the second half where he was so casual with the cross/pass. Hope he gets the hairdryer just for those two moments alone. I have the same criticsm of him as with the rest of the team - that there was no urgency and purpose in play. Everything he did was safe. Never took on a man. Never used his dribbling ability to make space for a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.