Luka Modric / Signs for Real Madrid

Brophs

The One and Only
The jist seems to be that though they are reported to have agreed £25m, in reality they want £35m and haven't agreed anything. I had to read between the lines to get there, so badly is it written.

Drifter

American
Croatia manager Igor Stimac has blasted Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as the Luka Modric transfer saga rumbles on.

The Spanish media are claiming that a deal has been done but there has been no official confirmation.

Stimac believes that the situation has left Modric in a difficult position because of Levy’s apparent change-of-heart.

“Yes, because the other side is a guy who does not fulfill the promises he makes,” Stimac is quoted as saying by AS.

“Daniel Levy promised a year ago that if he got an offer from Madrid he would let him go.

And when the offer happened he changed his mind.

“I think this guy tries to become famous in the world of football, but that’s not the way to go. When you promise something you always have to comply.”

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
God damn it Levy's a cnut. I mean not that I care about Madrid, I'd rather they not get even stronger, but this has nothing to do with them, it's about already denying Modrič a transfer he asked for last year, and doing the same this year, I mean seriously it's apparent to everyone that he wants to leave for the past year, what's wrong with that guy? If I was a player I'd seriously think about choosing Tottenham as my destination with an asshole like that in charge.

MPTutd

God damn it Levy's a cnut. I mean not that I care about Madrid, I'd rather they not get even stronger, but this has nothing to do with them, it's about already denying Modrič a transfer he asked for last year, and doing the same this year, I mean seriously it's apparent to everyone that he wants to leave for the past year, what's wrong with that guy? If I was a player I'd seriously think about choosing Tottenham as my destination with an asshole like that in charge.
Funny how Modric was not complaining when he signed a new financially improved six year contract a couple of years back.

This is Modric's fault, he should never have renewed his contract, or at least get a clause in the deal saying he can leave for a certain amount.

All Levy is trying to do is get the best deal for his club.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Croatia manager Igor Stimac has blasted Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as the Luka Modric transfer saga rumbles on ... “Daniel Levy promised a year ago that if he got an offer from Madrid he would let him go.
Two things:

1) "An offer" is a meaningless phrase, because it's disconnected from how much money is involved. £1m is "an offer", but obviously not an acceptable one. So clearly Levy made no such "an offer" promise.

2) It's all out-of-date anyhow. A deal has been done.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Two things:

1) "An offer" is a meaningless phrase, because it's disconnected from how much money is involved. £1m is "an offer", but obviously not an acceptable one. So clearly Levy made no such "an offer" promise.

2) It's all out-of-date anyhow. A deal has been done.
Says who?
The Madrid papers must've been saying the deal is done for the 5-6th time.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Says who?
The Madrid papers must've been saying the deal is done for the 5-6th time.
Says someone (not me) who, if they say it's done then it's done. Will be announced after the internationals.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Will interesting to see if Spurs get a replacement.

Think the battle for fourth will be tight between Arse, Spurs and Liverpool.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Why do people blame Levy? As much as £35m is a ridiculous fee for Modric to go for, Levy's entitled to squeeze as much out of the player as he possibly can. I don't blame him for doing so, especially if he gets the money. That's a great business deal from his point of view.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
SSN: flying to Spain tomorrow. Fee is about £23.5 million + £3.9 million add ons

Baxter

Sky Sources: Luka Modric is to fly to Spain on Thursday to finalise a £23.5m move to Real Madrid. #Spurs #Modric

£23m. Jesus.

Cina

That fee cannot be right? My god, we are fecking retarded if we didn't match it.

Ekeke

If Spurs could only get £23m plus add ons, its because thats all they could have got because by now Modric will have his heart set on Madrid so a bidding war wouldnt have mattered much.

All we're seeing is that once a player is unhappy and wants to move, theres a clock ticking down and there are no guarantees you'll get a higher price for him if you wait and try to let go of him on your own terms.

Cina

He wanted Madrid, and we wouldn't have got him for that price, before people start...
Probably.

I'd still like to think we would try though, and there are no indications that was ever the case.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
well we could at least offer the same amount (or a couple of mil extra) so spurs accept the deal. Modric can then choose who he wants - although Levy may then refuse to let him go abroad unless Real match our bid.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
well we could at least offer the same amount (or a couple of mil extra) so spurs accept the deal. Modric can then choose who he wants - although Levy may then refuse to let him go abroad unless Real match our bid.
Why would Levy refuse to let him go abroad when it's clearly his prefered destination and it should be prefered option for Spurs as well?

Sarni

That fee cannot be right? My god, we are fecking retarded if we didn't match it.
They wouldn't have sold him to us and he wouldn't have come here. It's not Football Manager, we've probably shown interest before but quickly realised that we were never going to get him.

Woodzy

I knew people would kick off about us not being in for him when I saw this. He wanted to go to Madrid. No discussion to be had really.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Why would Levy refuse to let him go abroad when it's clearly his prefered destination and it should be prefered option for Spurs as well?
Im pretty sure that in the scenario I gave, Madrid would just increase their offer.

I would expect Levy to be more concerned with the price than the destination anyway, if he accepts our offer and Madrid refuse to match it, he tells Modric tough shit, stay put or join United.

Sarni

By the way, they paid £16.5m to bring him from Dinamo. Shit deal to bring a player from nowhere, make him into a star and then sell him for a lousy £7m profit in a highly inflated market.

Mainoldo

He's been sold for how much he should be sold for. Funny how people argue he's over-priced then why he's valued right still find time to moan.. lol.

I'm glad Spurs got ripped off though cnuts.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So much for Spurs getting 40m pounds. Oh and it's clear that the player only wanted Madrid that's why the lower price won't stop some morons complaining about why we didn't compete for him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Good. Great player, deserves the move.

Sad thing is now the scouse are getting Sahin. Now that should have been our angle.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Might as well include the add-ons, seeing as that's what everyone does when quoting the fee United pay.

27.4m. Not a bad deal. Easy to drive a hard bargain when the player is dead set on joining you and the club doesn't want to sell to any of the other potential bidders.