Luka Modric

tomaldinho1

I do really like him as a player, probably the most complete CM player around at the moment.

Comparisons with Xavi are pointless though, Xavi was integral to Barcelona during their pomp and Modric would not have been able to play his role as well (I can't think of a player who could have) but outside of that system I'd rather have Modric. Despite playing in a similar position they are very different players.

Alfie092

Nah, Messi still has 2 trophies to his name and pretty impressive season overall. As it stands (unless Messi can turn things around in this WC) most likely scenario will be:
1) Ronaldo
2) Messi
3) Salah

Modric will probably end in top 5 like last year.
Yeah you're probably right. Messi still managed to score 45 goals along with winning the trophies you mentioned. And it always just seems to be Ronaldo and Messi securing the top 2 spots even though over the past decade, 3-4 players have probably deserved to be in the top 2.

gaucho_10

I did. Look up
Iniesta career stats when it comes to goals nad assists are not great. That's a fact.

Another fact is that Modric played deeper at both Tottenham and Madrid when he played in 3 man midfield. He also spent half of his career playing in double pivot. I'm sorry but you're comparing apples and oranges here.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Are you not a natural English speaker?

Very weird to complain about someone else's English when you come up with gems such as "tomdo" and "rola"

When someone says Iniesta scored and assisted over 10 goals they mean combined.

Also there is a quote feature on this website why don't you use that?
I'm sure you don't need to be a genius to know tomdo was 'to do' and rola was 'role', but when writing in a smartphone sometimes you can accidentally push the letter next to the one you wanted and don't notice.

I'm sure that doesn't make my English worse, but you really need to take some syntax lessons.

Still that's not the point.

Saying that a offensive midfielder is amazing or better than an organizer because he can get 10 or more goals/assists combined in a season with 50 games on average is dumb and makes Iniesta look very average, when he is one of the best midfielders of his generation.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm sure you don't need to be a genius to know tomdo was 'to do' and rola was 'role', but when writing in a smartphone sometimes you can accidentally push the letter next to the one you wanted and don't notice.

I'm sure that doesn't make my English worse, but you really need to take some syntax lessons.

Still that's not the point.

Saying that a offensive midfielder is amazing or better than an organizer because he can get 10 or more goals/assists combined in a season with 50 games on average is dumb and makes Iniesta look very average, when he is one of the best midfielders of his generation.
I agree that goals and assists are not particularly suited stats to rate someone like Iniesta or Modric. But Iniesta played a very similar role to him in Madrid. Yes, on average he probably played a little bit further up front but that has primarily to do with Barca's playing style and Iniesta and his abilities were an integral part of making this style possible in the first place. Additionally, most of these assists and goals are gathered in games against weaker teams and Madrid plays a very high line in these games, too, with lots and lots of possession.

Generally, it is just a case of a slightly different interpretation of basically the same roles because after all, Iniesta and Modric are pretty similar. But again, you are right when saying goals and assists are bad metrics to analyze the two. In some of Iniesta's best seasons he hadn't had much scorers while the opposite is true for some of his worse ones. Both players have different tasks to do which primarily consist of making midfield plays to set up their attackers, may it be through dribblings, one twos or key passes. Both are extremely good in it but for me, Iniesta just edges it. They are both extremely pressing resistant but Iniesta is better at "classic dribblings" in the sense of covering ground and beating one, two or even three defenders on his way towards the penalty area, if you ask me.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Modric was so fortunate he didn’t get his second penalty saved, almost hit the keepers feet.

Would’ve been a disaster for Modric

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
How much pressure is this guy under in Croatia? It looked like he wanted to cry throughout the match.

Renegade

If Croatia get to the final or even win it, does he get the Balon’DOr?

Incredible midfielder.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He really gets praise no matter how he plays. He was poor tonight as was the entire croatian midfield, got completely overwhelmed with the physicality of Denmark and then missed the crucial penalty. I'll never understand it.

A couple of years ago he was much better but didn't get the praise, now he's getting it when he's started declining regardless of the way he plays.

Rajma

He had a poor night overall imo apart from that killer pass at the end. Shown great character to go on and score in the penalty shoot out.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Balls of steel to take a pen in the shooutout. Balls of steel.
Should he give it to some CB? He’s a big player but nothing extraordinary, if he didn’t feck up the game would be over much earlier

Charlie Foley

I don't know why but he is such a like-able character. Still pains me we didn't sign him :(
I think it's because he looks like he has lived through and is carrying on his shoulders all of the troubles of the world, and still makes beautiful art

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:

It's the sun! Wipes me out and then whatever I drink really hits. Then I come up with shit like this.
TBF your post was on point... during the Balkan wars he was a kid playing with a ball in a garage, with him and his family being moments away from death, so he has so much weight on his shoulders, and he knows how to deal with extreme pressure.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Had we signed him from Spurs, we would have won at least 1 CL

Terminator

Incredible technician, was below par last night but a delight to watch usually. Best midfielder in the world for me. The touch, technique, vision and passing is second to none right now IMO.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Had we signed him from Spurs, we would have won at least 1 CL
Modric moved to Madrid in 2012, Ferguson's last season. Don't think signing Modric or Bale would have changed much considering the choice of our managers. Maybe Moyes would have been in charge for longer than a season.

Charlie Foley

TBF your post was on point... during the Balkan wars he was a kid playing with a ball in a garage, with him and his family being moments away from death, so he has so much weight on his shoulders, and he knows how to deal with extreme pressure.
Drunk me is a philosopher what can I say!

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
He really gets praise no matter how he plays. He was poor tonight as was the entire croatian midfield, got completely overwhelmed with the physicality of Denmark and then missed the crucial penalty. I'll never understand it.

A couple of years ago he was much better but didn't get the praise, now he's getting it when he's started declining regardless of the way he plays.
It's the Pirlo effect. Iniesta is another one who is rated more the more he declines.

Ekeke

Its people seeing Croatia do well and Modric being their most famous player to United fans.

Rakitic has been just as good but more defensive and Badelj has come in and battled well as a combative midfielder. Midfield is Croatia's strong point but its not exclusively because of Modric but a combination of the players selected.

Cloud7

Just saw an interview with Moyes where he says that he went to scout Modric while he was still at Zagreb, but had doubts about his size and his ability to play in England, so didn’t sign him. He subsequently signed Fellaini that same summer. That’s such a Moyes-Ism it reads like something a poster on here would have written :lol:

Ban

Just saw an interview with Moyes where he says that he went to scout Modric while he was still at Zagreb, but had doubts about his size and his ability to play in England, so didn’t sign him. He subsequently signed Fellaini that same summer. That’s such a Moyes-Ism it reads like something a poster on here would have written :lol:
'Not PL proven'.:D