Luka Modric

Eddy_JukeZ

A sensational player.

The best ex-Yugoslav player of all time.

And the favorite for the Golden Ball for the WC imo.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A sensational player.

The best ex-Yugoslav player of all time.

And the favorite for the Golden Ball for the WC imo.
Good shout for Ballon d'or if they win the world cup too, winning the CL and WC and being the best midfielder in the world.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
If he manages to win the World Cup with Croatia, it would be a miracle ah he would deserve not only to win Ballon D'or but he would get in the list of the top 10 best players ever... but to win this England team and then France/Belgium looks impossible. Specially after this last 2 games, they will be phisically destroyed.

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
A joy to watch when in shape, as important to Real Madrid these years in the midfield as Xavi was for Barça. Also, a very likeable fella, never saying the wrong words. One of those players who make football itself better.

Skills

Snitch
Got really lucky with the penalty. Happy that he scored though

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Class from head to toe. Majestic tonight.
Majestic? Really? I thought he was decent but Croatia was having a tough time out there and Modric/Rakitic couldn't fully dominate the Russian midfield.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, he's something alright.

Hardly puts a foot wrong when he's at it. One of the aspects of his game I've been most impressed with this WC is how easily he goes from sitting back, keeping it relatively simple - to pushing up and taking hold of the match in more of a #10 capacity.

He ain't exactly lazy either.

Fantastic player, a joy to watch him.

Abhinav

Majestic? Really? I thought he was decent but Croatia was having a tough time out there and Modric/Rakitic couldn't fully dominate the Russian midfield.
He was amazing. Hardly misplaced any pass, was injecting urgency at the right time and was creating openings with simple passes. It was a masterclass from him today. Russian threat was only through set pieces and a few counters, nothing to do with midfield.

Reactions: Invictus

fallengt

Played too far behind their attackers. Croatia should play 4-3-3 with Kovasic instead of Kramatic and push Modric higher up. Should be more balanced.
Croatia has a very good midfield, too bad Perisic & Rebic can't make anything happen.

Last edited:

izec

His stamina is unbelievable. Rarely does something wrong or stupid, he is such a classy player. You can put him into any team and he would stand out as the best and constant player.

Beaucoup

He’s mercurial, him and Hazard are very similar in style albeit in different positions on the pitch.

Eddy_JukeZ

Only time Croatia looked vulnerable were set pieces and the last 10 of the 2nd ET.

They dominated the Russian midfield.

criticalanalysis

A joy to watch when in shape, as important to Real Madrid these years in the midfield as Xavi was for Barça. Also, a very likeable fella, never saying the wrong words. One of those players who make football itself better.
Dynamo Zagreb fans and the Croatian courts might say differently the last time I checked.

Although I wonder what's the opinion of him now, not that sporting performances should detract from what happened.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He deserves to be in the top 3 imo.
Without a doubt, I have a sneaking suspicion he's been the 3rd best player in the world for a few years now but he often slips out of peoples "top 3" lists.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Modric can invite every player that votes for him in the Ballon d'Or to be character witnesses in his perjury trial.

RC89

As good as any midfielder of the last ten years including Xavi and Iniesta.

evil_geko

It is far from nonsense but I'll leave you to your exaggeration of his abilities, it seems to be a trend recently on this forum for quite a few players.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
As good as any midfielder of the last ten years including Xavi and Iniesta.
Nah, nowhere near as good as those 2 were at one point. I really like Modric but that’s rubbish.

jungledrums

It is far from nonsense but I'll leave you to your exaggeration of his abilities, it seems to be a trend recently on this forum for quite a few players.
Recently? Anyone who knows anything about football has considered Modric utterly world class for years now. He may not be the best, as the previous poster stated, but to suggest it’s not even close, like you are, is moronic. You’re now doing exactly what you’re criticising others of doing: misrepresenting Modric’s quality.

Eddy_JukeZ

You could at least say who you think was better...

A player that's arguably the 2nd most important player in Real during their most successful period since the 50's and me saying I think he's the best ex-Yugoslav player of all-time is now pure exaggeration :confused:

Theonas

Scout
Nah, nowhere near as good as those 2 were at one point. I really like Modric but that’s rubbish.
I think the fact that Xavi and Iniesta were essential elements in what is arguably the greatest club side of all time doing a job nobody else could to complement that style makes them unique and two of the best midfielders of all time. However, I genuinely think Modric would be more likely to stand out in any team/system and be influential, something I would not too sure about with the other two. Modric seems uniquely unaffected by how the team is setup around him, relatively of course, which is such a rarity for midfielders in particular.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
If we ignore trophies/achievement, I can only remember Boban, Savisevic, (Stojkovic and Prosineçki) who PROBABLY better than Modric. (Even they are half ex-Yugoslavia, right?).

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah its nonsense to say hes not close. Hes been the best midfielder in the world for years and is the most successful player to have come out of ex-Yugoslavia. Hes led Croatia to a top 4 spot in the World Cup now too, something that Yugoslavia as a whole only managed to do twice (finishing 3rd and 4th). Its nothing imaginary. Hes a phenomenal player and in the discussion for the best ever from that part of the world.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I can not talk much about Boban, Savicevic and Stojkovic but in the 90s in la liga there were many yugoslavians, Milosevic, Kodro, Pantic, Suker, Mijatovic, Prosinecki, Gudelj, Bjelica, Djorovic, Djukic, Jarni, Paunovic, Ciric, Jokanovic, Asanovic and many more less known. Of them I think Suker was great, like Mijatovic, or Pantic (although for a short time). Maybe Prosinecki had so much quality or more, but putting together trophies, whole career and technical quality I do not think they are above Modric.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he manages to win the World Cup with Croatia, it would be a miracle ah he would deserve not only to win Ballon D'or but he would get in the list of the top 10 best players ever... but to win this England team and then France/Belgium looks impossible. Specially after this last 2 games, they will be phisically destroyed.
:lol: Come on now. He's never ever going be among the best 10 players ever. He isn't that special. Also, Croatia are a very good side. I don't see why beating England and France is that far fetched. This isn't Peps Barca theydt be facing FFS. They have a good chance of winning the cup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was good as you'd expect. But I don't think Croatia bossed that game as much as I expected them to. Even in midfield. Russia more than matched in most aspects. Noone had an incredible game unless we're counting Russia's ability to match teams better than them which has been sensational throughout the tournament.

slored1

A true footballing genious and for me, currently the no. 1 candidate for Ballon d'or.

Last edited by a moderator:

CA1

People have far too much rose tinted spectacles about the past.

As if some of those ex Yugoslav players even touch Modric. Prosinecki was playing in the Championship with Portsmouth at the age Modric is the most infleuntial player in Real Madrid CL wins and guiding his nation through to World Cup Semi Finals.

Modric is one of the best midfielders of all time.

evil_geko

:lol: Come on now. He's never ever going be among the best 10 players ever. He isn't that special. Also, Croatia are a very good side. I don't see why beating England and France is that far fetched. This isn't Peps Barca theydt be facing FFS. They have a good chance of winning the cup.
But the Caf have spoken, didn't you hear, he is the bestest player ever in the world, let alone exyu.

And then I get asked to mention better players in exyu than him....why would I waste my time, firstly they are obvious to ppl who actually watched football before 2000s....secondly even if I did, the Luka praisers have already decided he is the best, no amount of argument can convince them otherwise, however in the wrong they are.

Over and out.