Lukaku and Sanchez - cut our losses? Poll now added

Should we cut our losses on Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer?

• Total voters

deadrevelz

Do people still have the same opinion after the Chelsea game? I wanted both gone before Monday.

I thought both players put in maximum effort and neither let the side down with mistakes. They didn't really contribute much directly but I appreciated their performances. My opinion has changed slightly on Sanchez, I thought this was his best performance, he looked very lively, made the right runs and pressed effectively. If he can replicate that form for the rest of the season, I would be happy for him to stay. With Lukaku I still want to see more. He has a harder job as he is playing in his unfavoured position, but will have to add goals and assists to his game from the right if he stays, otherwise I think the funds from his sale would be more beneficial than having him as an 'option'.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Adebesi

Sanchez was giving it everything, you have to give him that at least. Still not the quality youd expect for that money, but it isnt for a lack of effort or a bad attitude, at least.

Lukaku is a good option to have. If he is happy to be a squad player we shouldnt be in a rush to push him out.

Saffron

Lukaku is a good option to have. If he is happy to be a squad player we shouldnt be in a rush to push him out.
Having a £75 million striker on high wages as a "squad player" is not optimal. Assuming we can get anywhere near what we paid for him, selling him should be a no-brainer. That's Pogba/Virgil van Dijk levels of money that we could put to much better use in the transfer market.

Adebesi

Having a £75 million striker on high wages as a "squad player" is not optimal. Assuming we can get anywhere near what we paid for him, selling him should be a no-brainer. That's Virgil van Dijk levels of money that we could put to much better use in the transfer market.
You're right about it not being optimal. And I'd definitely ship him out in the medium term but for nxt season there are more urgent priorities.

OverratedOpinion

I am a big fan of Lukaku but he is not a player who can come in and have a positive impact in one off games. He is a bit like Rooney used to be in that he needs a run of games and if he gets them is fully capable of scoring 8 or 9 games in a row. As such, if Ole has decided Rashford is going to be his first choice striker which I think is evident then Lukaku is not suitable for a backup role and should probably go.

Alexis I have no clue about as I find it completely perplexing that he has gone from being up there with Hazard and Aguero to being completely un-noteworthy whenever he plays. It would almost make more sense if he was completely terrible but he still works his socks off, his touch is still good, doesn't even look like he has lost that much pace honestly but it just consistently leads to nothing. I feel he should be given a season as backup striker, maybe? I don't know honestly.

Hughes35

I feel genuinely sorry for Sanchez. He works his nuts off and I actually think he looks pretty sharp in an odd way...... Just absolutely nothing he tries comes off.

Flicks go out of play, over hit passes, misdirected passes, every 50/50 seems to bounce of 6 or 7 sets of legs and never end up at his feet. It just doesn't work and we should offload if we can find anybody to take him.

With Lukaku, he's a very good goal scorer (You can't argue with his record). I'd sell if any decent offer came in (Around 50Mil) which I don't think is unrealistic. I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed though as I still think he can grab goals against 70% of teams in the League / domestic cups.

GBBQ

I would get rid of both. Lukaku could feel hardest done by in all of this but he just doesn't fit the mold of the type of forward to compliment Martial, Rashford and Pogba. His touch isn't good enough to mesh well in a free flowing attacking team. I liken him to RVN in 2006, no doubting his goalscoring ability but letting him go and bringing in a more pacy forward (eventually Tevez) will create a much more potent and fluid attack.

I thought Sanchez might have a renaissance under Ole as the more attacking set up should have favoured him but whether his legs have gone or his confidence is shot to pieces he just can't replicate his best form here.

I just don't see them having an impact off the bench (or at least not enough to justify the combined £600K per week they earn).

Stacks

Sanchez was giving it everything, you have to give him that at least. Still not the quality youd expect for that money, but it isnt for a lack of effort or a bad attitude, at least.

I am a big fan of Lukaku but he is not a player who can come in and have a positive impact in one off games. He is a bit like Rooney used to be in that he needs a run of games and if he gets them is fully capable of scoring 8 or 9 games in a row. As such, if Ole has decided Rashford is going to be his first choice striker which I think is evident then Lukaku is not suitable for a backup role and should probably go.

Alexis I have no clue about as I find it completely perplexing that he has gone from being up there with Hazard and Aguero to being completely un-noteworthy whenever he plays. It would almost make more sense if he was completely terrible but he still works his socks off, his touch is still good, doesn't even look like he has lost that much pace honestly but it just consistently leads to nothing. I feel he should be given a season as backup striker, maybe? I don't know honestly.
What you said. He simply isn't electric enough or physical enough to fulfil this role. I would rather have someone rapid and hard working like Jamie Vardy as an impact sub or FELLAINI as at least he won the aerial battle and brought people into play. Rom needs to warm up and it is difficult for him to get going as his retaining of the ball is all over the place.

Adebesi

Is it true though? He was out in the cold for weeks when Ole first arrived, unless I am remembering this wrong the Arsenal game was his first for some time, he came in and played well on the right - he was widely praised for that performance. So Im not sure how true it is that he needs a run of games to play well. Admittedly he wasnt playing up front in that game so maybe its his sharpness in front of goal that is in question when he isnt playing regularly, but I havent really seen any evidence to prove that. He's had goal droughts when he was playing every game under Mourinho, he's played well when seldom used under Ole. So I think if he is happy to stay next season, knowing he probably isnt first choice (unless he ups his game and wins it back, which is a path that should always be open to every player) we keep him next season and see how it goes, and if next summer we want to get rid, do it then, once we have strengthened elsewhere.

deadrevelz

Is it true though? He was out in the cold for weeks when Ole first arrived, unless I am remembering this wrong the Arsenal game was his first for some time, he came in and played well on the right - he was widely praised for that performance. So Im not sure how true it is that he needs a run of games to play well. Admittedly he wasnt playing up front in that game so maybe its his sharpness in front of goal that is in question when he isnt playing regularly, but I havent really seen any evidence to prove that. He's had goal droughts when he was playing every game under Mourinho, he's played well when seldom used under Ole. So I think if he is happy to stay next season, knowing he probably isnt first choice (unless he ups his game and wins it back, which is a path that should always be open to every player) we keep him next season and see how it goes, and if next summer we want to get rid, do it then, once we have strengthened elsewhere.
He isn't a great back up striker if it takes him a while to get going and has goal droughts and he isn't a great winger even when he plays well. Like you said, we need to strengthen other areas and the club is much more likely to do so if we can recoup money from players who don't play regularly.

TRUERED89

sell them both, and mata as well.
Mata was class against Chelsea, play him centrally and he doesn't disappoint! he can stay as a good squad option. coming on against Juventus made a huge impact too, he's probably the best free kick taker we have.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Personally it depends on who we get in as replacements. If we can get quality replacements we should just sell them asap. They offer so little and are so expensive. Lukaku is a 75 m striker who cant control a football ffs.

Mainoldo

Mata was class against Chelsea, play him centrally and he doesn't disappoint! he can stay as a good squad option. coming on against Juventus made a huge impact too, he's probably the best free kick taker we have.
Mata is finished. We can’t carry a player like him for another season and we don’t play number 10’s Chelsea was a one off and even then he lacked the engine to be effective.

TRUERED89

Mata is finished. We can’t carry a player like him for another season and we don’t play number 10’s Chelsea was a one off and even then he lacked the engine to be effective.
He may well start against Liverpool, that game could be a decider for him, in a diamond with Pogba, Matic and Herrera behind him, I don't think we'd be "carrying" him at all. He very much held his own against Chelsea and nullified Jorghinio completely, I'd say intelligence is more important than an "engine" especially when you have 3 players behind you for support, does D. Silva have an "engine" not particularly, he's just a smart fecking player. To sum up Mata deserves another season..

Mainoldo

He may well start against Liverpool, that game could be a decider for him, in a diamond with Pogba, Matic and Herrera behind him, I don't think we'd be "carrying" him at all. He very much held his own against Chelsea and nullified Jorghinio completely, I'd say intelligence is more important than an "engine" especially when you have 3 players behind you for support, does D. Silva have an "engine" not particularly, he's just a smart fecking player. To sum up Mata deserves another season..
Just because your a clever player doesn’t mean you lack an engine. D.Silva has and him and Bernardo Silva ran us ragged at the Eithad. Yes he did a job but because of his lack of physical attributes and lungs he offered minimal in our attacks.

At the end of the day we pretend that Mata was a failed LVG number 10. His quality is unequestionable but we don’t need him going forward.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Sanchez isn't getting younger and we need young blood with the will to prove themselves in the squad.

Lukaku is a good poacher, but his overall game is a bit of a liability to the team, so selling him should be a logical thing to do. He's basically becoming our Fellaini V2 but without the long ball goals.

tomaldinho1

I feel genuinely sorry for Sanchez. He works his nuts off and I actually think he looks pretty sharp in an odd way...... Just absolutely nothing he tries comes off.

Flicks go out of play, over hit passes, misdirected passes, every 50/50 seems to bounce of 6 or 7 sets of legs and never end up at his feet. It just doesn't work and we should offload if we can find anybody to take him.

With Lukaku, he's a very good goal scorer (You can't argue with his record). I'd sell if any decent offer came in (Around 50Mil) which I don't think is unrealistic. I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed though as I still think he can grab goals against 70% of teams in the League / domestic cups.
I agree with this, we should move him on and hopefully a club will look at his stats and feel he can recapture his form.

It's also worth noting, we often fall back to his stats as a reason why we should keep faith but they really aren't anywhere near the Kane's or Aguero's of the world:

Lukaku: APPS 243 | GOALS 109
Aguero: APPS 229 | GOALS 160
Kane : APPS 175 | GOALS 122

shaky

I agree with this, we should move him on and hopefully a club will look at his stats and feel he can recapture his form.

It's also worth noting, we often fall back to his stats as a reason why we should keep faith but they really aren't anywhere near the Kane's or Aguero's of the world:

Lukaku: APPS 243 | GOALS 109
Aguero: APPS 229 | GOALS 160
Kane : APPS 175 | GOALS 122
I suspect that Aguero or Kane's stats might look a bit worse if they'd also been playing at West Brom and Everton for 75% of their PL careers.

Saffron

I suspect that Aguero or Kane's stats might look a bit worse if they'd also been playing at West Brom and Everton for 75% of their PL careers.

Lukaku's stats are worse at United than at West Brom and Everton.

shaky

Lukaku's stats are worse at United than at West Brom and Everton.
Doesn't that suggest he has more to offer us than he showed under Mourinho, just like nearly every other Utd player?

BiggusCrickus

Sadly i think Sanchez is done as a top 4 player and we made a mistake in signing him. As for Lukaku i think he needs a good pre season where he comes back a bit lighter and fitter and needs to be given a chance . His 1st season here he did well its only this season he has dropped off and the fact Rashford is stepping up and becoming the player we all hoped he would become.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomaldinho1

Doesn't that suggest he has more to offer us than he showed under Mourinho, just like nearly every other Utd player?
Suggests to me he used to thrive on playing in a certain way (longer balls, crosses, set pieces)

Ander herrera the warrior

We should sell Lukaku and keep Sanchez.

Sanchez can be a very useful backup to at least 3 of our automatic starters which is Martial, Rashford and Pogba. If any long term injuries to these players, we would be lucky having such a good backup player.

Lukaku on the hand doesn't seem happy at all losing his place to Rashford and it doesn't look like there is any chance for him to get back his place looking at how he well Rashford is improving.

Alabaster Codify7

They are both terrible. I hate seeing either of them in the starting 11, guess I need to be prepared to see a lot more of them in the near future.

The lack of goals or goal threat these two provide is disgusting for the fact they earn a combined 650k a week. It is downright scandalous.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm still very much in the "they can both leave but Sanchez first" camp.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The lack of goals or goal threat these two provide is disgusting for the fact they earn a combined 650k a week. It is downright scandalous.
Lukaku plundered 27 goals for us last season and created our best chance today and in recent games has had assists. Alexis reportedly earns 505k a week, your statement on their wages is kind of misleading as it makes Lukaku seem like he's overpayed on a level similar to Sanchez.

m1tch

At the moment I would say to sell Sanchez and to give Lukaku a year. Lukaku is younger and if he can sort his physique/fitness out then he could force his way into team more often potentially.

Still time till the end of the season though for Sanchez.

Tapori

I'd give Lukaku another season if he wants to stay and Sanchez definitely another season and see what he can do under ole.

I feel Sanchez needs to retire or reduce internationals and he may find a new lease of life

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What is Sanchez problem with pogba? His first 20 minutes on he had purposely ignored the simple pass to pogba. Pogba seemed frustrated with his work ethic in tracking back even though we could all see Sanchez was putting in an adequate shift.

Of course I could be misinterpreting this and Sanchez is just truly shite and still has no chemistry on the pitch.

Get rid please.

Devil may care

I'd get as much as we can for both in the summer and replace them with two dynamic forwards that are versatile and high energy and who offer more guile.

Canagel

What is Sanchez problem with pogba? His first 20 minutes on he had purposely ignored the simple pass to pogba. Pogba seemed frustrated with his work ethic in tracking back even though we could all see Sanchez was putting in an adequate shift.

Of course I could be misinterpreting this and Sanchez is just truly shite and still has no chemistry on the pitch.

Get rid please.
I couldn't understand either. those two cannot play together on the left. it's one or the other and there's only one winner

Greck

Get rid please.
Sanchez can be a bit of a black hole. Ignores short passing options regularly and carries the ball a touch longer than necessary. Doesn't seem a player who knows what the word adaptation means

Silas

I'd give Lukaku another season if he wants to stay and Sanchez definitely another season and see what he can do under ole.

I feel Sanchez needs to retire or reduce internationals and he may find a new lease of life
What has Sanchez done this season to definitely deserve another? Also, why keep Lukaku as a bench option when he'd fetch us a decent amount of money and is on relatively high wages?

Fosu-Mens

I couldn't understand either. those two cannot play together on the left. it's one or the other and there's only one winner
From what i recall during Sanchez at Arsenal he seemed difficult to play with.
When pressing he most often seems to run around like a headless chicken and not pressing as part of the team.
When he gets the ball he often uses to many touch or holding the ball for to long. This worked and was acceptable when he was at his best at Arsenal, but not now in his current "form". Hazard is allowed to do his own thing at Chelsea because he is their best player, same can be argued is the case with Pogba. Sanchez is far from our best player, but behaves likes one.