Lukaku and Sanchez - cut our losses? Poll now added

Should we cut our losses on Sanchez and Lukaku in the summer?

• Total voters

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sanchez gets it, fails to beat a man, and is forced to do a little circle motion to keep it.
It's amazing that he seems to have lost any sort of acceleration.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We should sell Lukaku and keep Sanchez.

Sanchez can be a very useful backup to at least 3 of our automatic starters which is Martial, Rashford and Pogba. If any long term injuries to these players, we would be lucky having such a good backup player.

Lukaku on the hand doesn't seem happy at all losing his place to Rashford and it doesn't look like there is any chance for him to get back his place looking at how he well Rashford is improving.
Right now, I'm not sure he warrants counting as "good". He's a good "name", but not that good in reality.
And that's before you again question can you have a squad player who is by far the highest paid? That's not really on.

Nr.7

Fair play for that pass for Lingard, but Rashford played with one leg today and still looked a better player than Lukaku.

Lukaku is simply not good enough.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The combined cost in transfer fees (including exchange value) and wages for Sanchez, Lukaku and Fred over a 4 year contract period is around 315M. Or 78.5M a year.

That is frightening. We need to cut our losses on all 3 and reinvest in the squad.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
It genuinely amazes me that Lukaku gets more flak than Sanchez.

He’s been far, far better than Alexis. Under Jose and Ole.

Alexis needs to go. He’s a waste of space.

MyDevil

Both were poor last night. Lukaku keeps losing the ball. First touch is a nightmare.
And Sanchez is regressing. Expected more from him. Chance after chance and he failed to take it. We missed Martial there.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Yeah, Lukaku only played three perfect crosses, which Lingard/Smalling should definitely have finished yesterday.

Useless.

Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.

NoPace

Seems clear. Sell Sanchez, keep Lukaku unless a great offer (like 50-55M at least) comes in or he begs to leave. Sign a RW.

Martial-Rashford-RW is our front 3 and Lingard, Mata and Lukaku gives us 3 decent bench options providing very qualities, with Lukaku a classic 9 and a decent option as a counterattacking RW, Mata your classic option to bring on against defences parking the bus or if a 10 is needed with Pogba and the midfield struggling to create and Lingard able to play anywhere and by far the best presser, closest to Park we have now.

Then if Greenwood can be the 9 many think, Lukaku can leave at that time and we can replace him with another wide player.

cerdan689908

A lad on Full Time Devils ( Ytube ) had it spot on yesterday, Lukaku needs to be in space when he receive's the ball as his control is so poor. He needs three or more touches to get it under control, by which time he's hounded off the ball.

TRUERED89

Yeah, Lukaku only played three perfect crosses, which Lingard/Smalling should definitely have finished yesterday.

Useless.

I agree, Lukaku played far better than Sanchez, and at least one of those 2 chances he created should have been scored, massive opportunity missed.

Litch

I have no problem with them staying as I'd be selling for what reason? I guess it's whether you look at your glass half full or half empty. I'm a half full person that thinks if Ole can get a tune out of them, it's strengthens the squad, not weaken it.

GBBQ

Fair play for that pass for Lingard, but Rashford played with one leg today and still looked a better player than Lukaku.

Lukaku is simply not good enough.
Exactly. At this level and in these types of matches you need strikers who can turn the game for you. Players who can take the ball in midfield and run at a defence at speed. Pose a threat to the defence that makes them play a little deeper or think twice about committing too many players to an attack.

We didn't have that yesterday, and for all the kudos Lukaku deserves for his defensive shift or his crosses, I just don't see him being the right fit for fast free flowing attacking football. Same with Sanchez, he seems to have contracted the yips and just can't impose himself on the game any more.

RedRotorhead

Keep Lukaku, he's muscle when needed, and won't get injured.

He can be like a bodyguard for Rash, who's more prone to be injured, so it could be like mess with Rash, and you get a taste av Rom.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Changed my vote, Sell both in Summer.
Done the same. Previously thought to keep Lukaku in a squad role, but his technique is so poor it'd be better to cash in and bring one of those highly rated kids through, and then ideally put that recovered cash towards Sancho.

saeed

the only grey point of ole work until now is playing alexis (even lukaku) ahead of gomez , greenwood or chong. maybe its time for introducing these talents in team.

Smores

Exactly. At this level and in these types of matches you need strikers who can turn the game for you. Players who can take the ball in midfield and run at a defence at speed. Pose a threat to the defence that makes them play a little deeper or think twice about committing too many players to an attack.

We didn't have that yesterday, and for all the kudos Lukaku deserves for his defensive shift or his crosses, I just don't see him being the right fit for fast free flowing attacking football. Same with Sanchez, he seems to have contracted the yips and just can't impose himself on the game any more.
He was lumped out on the wing and playing right back half the game and still created some of our best chances.
We've had seasons of people saying Martial and Rashford can't be judged too harshly as they're played out of position, I'd think people would show consistency in that approach.

GBBQ

He was lumped out on the wing and playing right back half the game and still created some of our best chances.
We've had seasons of people saying Martial and Rashford can't be judged too harshly as they're played out of position, I'd think people would show consistency in that approach.
Like I said, he deserves kudos for his game yesterday but I just don't think he has the attributes (burst of speed, close control) that would be optimal for the formation Ole is playing.

Anders Agnalt

Lukaku might still have a future if he gets the correct training and guidance. He needs to work on everything and especially the part involving ball control.
Stop with the bodybuilding shit and start interval training.

Sanchez is just over the top and nothing good will come from that.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolredwine

lameredboots
Like I said, he deserves kudos for his game yesterday but I just don't think he has the attributes (burst of speed, close control) that would be optimal for the formation Ole is playing.
That and the first touch of an elephant. He loses the ball so many times doing this.

Hasawi Red

Get rid of the booth of them if we have replacements, in the case of Lukaku no need to go expensive just somebody who fits the profile needed to play in Ole's style (assuming he gets the job). For Sanches, i really think we have a chance to get Griezeman who would fit perfectly but he will not come if Sanches is still here.

deadrevelz

They both put a shift in yesterday but still think we should sell both if we can. Neither are effective in our best system. Young is better than both on the wings. They are super expensive utility players.

fallengt

Lukaku is no where near striker for top team, Sanchez's legs have gone. Terrible businesses by United.
Get rid both as soon as the chance rises. Might hurt us short term but they're offering nothing but squad options atm not even impactful ones, I'd rather O'shea in their places.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Quite happy to see the back of both of them if possible.

Lukaku just isn’t a very good footballer, and it’s not just our fans that think this, Everton and Chelsea fans said the same thing, his first touch and hold up play is abysmal.
Sure if he has chances put on a plate for him he will finish, but so would a fat bloke off the street 7 out of 10 times as well.

Sanchez is simply lost, he isn’t the right player for us and we just have to accept that and move him on.

greendevil

Lukaku simply isn't up to the level of a top club! He was at clubs like West Brom and Everton for a reason, in fairness to him yesterday he put in a shift but his fitness levels looked poor and offered nothing at all which has become the norm. Sanchez also worked hard yesterday and i think if he got a run of games he can offer something, but i often question does he really even want to be at the club!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Both should go. They came here to lead our team to titles, and the only proposal for them going forward is to be League Cup players and injury cover.

Sanchez is clearly not the player he was, and Lukaku was never good enough to come here in the first place. Both are in our top 4 earners, and neither are in our best XI.

I’d of course like Sancho to come in, but in addition to him, a forward with the actual profile to play the Llorente role for us should be added too. Someone like Arnautovic. My ideal choice would be Joshua King. King and Lingard can be senior attacking back-up, with Mason joining the rotation as the 6th option.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

Useless.

3 good crosses was literally everything he did the entire match.
Is that what you expect from a 90 million, or thereabouts, striker?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Done with these two.

They've had so many opportunities to go and make themselves a hero, but neither one can step up.

Sanchez is a spent force. Lukaku is out of his depth and doesnt seem to understand how to use his body.

Big losses, but for football reasons they need to be made.

Tapori

What has Sanchez done this season to definitely deserve another? Also, why keep Lukaku as a bench option when he'd fetch us a decent amount of money and is on relatively high wages?
Sanchez deserves another season because he's only just played under Ole and has demonstrated he can be world class only a year or so ago.
He can always fetch a good price next Jan or summer if he's not stepped back up

Lukaku is an interesting one; on lower wages and with a lower transfer fee as long as he was willing to be a squad/bench/rotating player and improved then why not another season once ole works with him during the Summer?
With his current fee and wages your point makes sense, but I feel with him still being relatively young and having a different playing style, he could be a very interesting option in the squad as long as it isn't at the expense of developing Greenwood.
Was impressed with his tenacity vs the Scouse and if he can fix his weight and adapt to what Ole wants from him i see no reason why he couldn't stay. And I've been incredibly critical of his touch and play.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
Sanchez, was once a great player sadly no longer. Lukaku, is now shipped out to play as a winger, as he is unable to control the ball and turn on goal. Both need to go if we seriously intend on competing with City.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I would also get rid of both however, Lukaku needs to go first because hes a terrible footballer and has more resale value to reinvest. I still think Sanchez needs a fair crack of the whip played in the number 9 role as his legs cant handle playing out wide anymore.

Silas

Sanchez deserves another season because he's only just played under Ole and has demonstrated he can be world class only a year or so ago.
Huh? This isn't a case of him being out of form, it's an irreversible physical decline. Nothing Ole does will get him back to world-class, especially considering he wasn't even that good in his final half-season at Arsenal. He's on huge wages and we'd be better off replacing him with a starting RW than hoping he'll suddenly turn it around.

He can always fetch a good price next Jan or summer if he's not stepped back up
What? From who? Which team in their right mind would splash out on him after seeing him here? With his wages and age, there won't be many takers, if any at all.

Lukaku is an interesting one; on lower wages and with a lower transfer fee as long as he was willing to be a squad/bench/rotating player and improved then why not another season once ole works with him during the Summer?
With his current fee and wages your point makes sense, but I feel with him still being relatively young and having a different playing style, he could be a very interesting option in the squad as long as it isn't at the expense of developing Greenwood.
Was impressed with his tenacity vs the Scouse and if he can fix his weight and adapt to what Ole wants from him i see no reason why he couldn't stay. And I've been incredibly critical of his touch and play.
I agree that he'd maybe be a decent squad option if he had lower wages, but he doesn't and we simply have too many improvements to make to the team to have a chunk of our money going to someone who isn't a starter. He'd get us a good amount of money and if we wanted to get a squad option, I'm sure there are plenty cheaper alternatives to him on the market.

Last edited:

Cockney Phil

Both players need to go.

Sanchez was a poor decision and his arrival disturbed the second half of our season. Now he’s done nothing all season and in our biggest game was unable to contribute. He gets in the way, drops deep and then wanders - signs he’s done. He was a passenger in the end.

Lukaku is next to useless in the Ole-Phelan play book. He looked exhausted after 10 minutes and as he got more tired he was taking longer breaks to recover. His passes were useful but then he stopped to recover. His weight is one issue but his head seems to suffer most from his loss of form.