Lukaku To Discuss Future

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Your point deosnt apply to Lukaku though and my post was specifically in relation to him. If your point was general in nature let it stand away but it doesn't make sense in his regard.
It applies to him. We haven't used him to the best of his capabilities. It applies to all of our players. They haven't been used to the best of their capabilities. Which is part of the reason we are in this predicament.

adexkola

Supports
This season in the PL his goal conversion rate is 23.1%, which is better than all of Aubamayang, Vardy, Lacazette, Aguero, Firmino, Kane, Rashford and Higuain.

The key stat with Lukaku is that all of those players bar Higuain have had more attempts on goal than him this season and last season the likes of Kane had chances at literally twice the rate Lukaku did.

For example, someone like Aguero peppers the goal with attempts (even low percentage ones) which sees him miss an awful lot more but results in more goals even with a lower conversion rate:

Goal conversion: Lukaku 23.1%, Aguero 19.6%
Goal attempts: Lukaku 52, Aguero 97
Min. Per Chance: Lukaku 35.7, Aguero 26.

So your impression of him is entirely wrong. He is actually quite a clinical striker when he has a chance, he just gets/takes relatively few chances (either as a result of the team or his own play) which means any misses stand out. Whereas other strikers miss a lot more but the sheer volume of their attempts on goal carries them. Other strikers are also more likely to compensate for missed "big chances" by converting one of their many low percentage attempts, at which point their miss is forgotten.
We've created only 2 more chances considered as big, in the league, than Wolves. All the top teams except for Tottenham create more chances than we do.

I am eager to see this uber-clinical replacement for Lukaku though. I am confident that based on these numbers, if he goes to a team that is more creative, and the burden is on him to score, he'll do well.

Last edited:

SATA

I hope that you are talking about Raiola's voluptuous shape because he is a clever agent.
Raiola is clever i agree and manipulative but his current agent is just unbelievably thick. Mino wouldn't say a laughable thing like that i reckon

bushyboy

Times have changed, SAF is no longer at the wheel, half a dozen years without any big trophy. No real privilege anymore for majority of footballers. Need to get back to winning big things asap.
I really hope Ole gets backed big this window and ships out the deadwood. It's embarrassing being the biggest supported club and struggling most of the last six years to finish top 4

Janson

Talk about how your client sees himself winning things in Italy and Spain before a CL QF against Barcelona in a season which is in shambles mostly because your client couldn't finish sitters game in game out.

Give him a new contract - with reduced wages and lesser play time guarantees. Ask him to play well enough to deserve a better contract. If he complains, bench and sell. We won't miss his pointing.
Our season is in shambles mostly because of Lukaku? So almost everything else has been perfect this season? I would be over the moon if that was our only problem.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We've created only 2 more chances considered as big, in the league, than Wolves. All the top teams except for Tottenham create more chances than we do.

I am eager to see this uber-clinical replacement for Lukaku though.
Yep.

Here's a neat comparison: "wasteful" Lukaku last year vs RVP in the year he fired us to the title under SAF:

Goal Conversion: Lukaku 18.6%, RVP 17.5%

Minutes Per Chance: Lukaku 33.4, RVP 22.1

Big Chances: Lukaku 22, RVP 40

Big Chances Scored: Lukaku 11, RVP 17

Big Chances Missed: Lukaku 11, RVP 23

So RVP literally missed more "big chances" that year than Lukaku got last season. Which probably says a lot about the creativity of both sides.

adexkola

Supports
Yep.

Here's a neat comparison: "wasteful" Lukaku last year vs RVP in the year he fired us to the title under SAF:

So RVP literally missed more "big chances" that year than Lukaku got last season. Which probably says a lot about the creativity of both sides.
We created 89 big chances that season! Just to show how impressive that is, the City of this season have created 91 big chances, with 6 games to go.

With 6 games to go, we've created 56 big chances.

This is fun. Yay stats.

RedDevil@84

Didn't say anything about 70m-100m, though you could possibly get close to 70m from a club like Everton - would be a massive signing for them as they're severely lacking a striker.

I would not be surprised if big clubs were in for him if it was a bit more reasonable, though. Guaranteed 20 goals a season striker with good finishing, pace and strength and still only 25.

Think you would spark a lot of interest around the 40m-50m mark, though. Have to consider that if you want an absolute top-tier striker (you can almost count those on one hand) you would be looking at 100m mark at least nowadays.
On one hand you are saying that he is a 20+ striker with big clubs wanting him. And then you are saying we need to come down to 40M to be able to sell him.
Doesn't make sense.
70M + is a pretty conservative valuation for a guaranteed 20+ striker, who is only 25 and has years left on the contract and is really good.

Janson

Yep.

Do you know how they work out what a big chance is? Isn't that quite subjective?

el3mel

Unbelievable how some people still excuse Lukaku for the lack of chances service. The fact is if you're a static, barely mobile striker that waits for just taps in, barely makes runs behind defenders and barely position yourself well in the box, you'll hardly get any chances to score. Other strikers get more chances thanks to their movement and positioning.

The definition of chances for Lukaku looks to be a cross or a tap in. For any other top striker any ball that fell in and around the box is considered a chance for them to score.

RasTiaGba

I wouldn't mind selling him. Imagine Rashford and Martial learning from Griezmann instead of a target man.

hobbers

Bottom line is that, although he can be useful as a back up striker, we wouldn't miss him if he left. At all.

RedIan

Lukaku will always score plenty of goals, its his whole game.. he has very little else but pace power and shoot.
His hold up/link up play/ball control is terrible. So many of our attacks falter when the balls played to him.
Happy to see him go tbh, hes not a man united player.
He is young so will still command a good fee. Id want min £50m but expect £60mil- £70mil

Canagel

Yep.

It was easier to create chances for RVP.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
omg some of the comparisons :lol:
btw RVP was literally carrying us with his goals when we last won the league.
Do you think if we replaced RVP with the current Lukaku we'd still win the league?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Do you know how they work out what a big chance is? Isn't that quite subjective?
Dunno, I just have the definition Opta give:

"A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a one on one scenario or from very close range when the ball has a clear path to goal and there is low to moderate pressure on the shooter. Penalties are always considered big chances."

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Yep.

Nice stats, completely worthless though.

When was the last time Lukaku scored a 'good', let alone world class, individual goal?

Van Persie regularly did. He didn't just rely on service. He also apparently had double the amount of 'big' chances in that season. He made things happen more.

I don't mind Lukaku, he's a good player. But if he thinks it's the team holding him back rather than the other way round, then good riddance.

Tbh, I've been slightly suspicious of his motivations after all the hype around him emerged regarding his supposed humility and intelligence, etc. All seemed a bit forced and I suspect a lot of it was engineered by his camp. If you're actually humble and prepared to adapt in order to succeed, you shouldn't even have to say it. He's actually performing worse as his time here progresses too.

If we can recoup his transfer fee, then I won't lose much sleep if he goes.

Djemba-Djemba

In that first season RVP scored away at Chelsea, home and away against Liverpool, home and away against Arsenal, a last minute winner away at city and away at Spurs.

In his almost 2 years here Lukaku has scored against a top 6 rival once. Pathetic

I_live_cement

Cat freak
In that first season RVP scored away at Chelsea, home and away against Liverpool, home and away against Arsenal, a last minute winner away at city and away at Spurs.

In his almost 2 years here Lukaku has scored against a top 6 rival once. Pathetic
Good point. He may have converted more 'big' chances, but he never scores in big games.

Jib

I can understand if Pogba want to leave. The guy is a world class player and near his prime. Fighting for a CL spot during his best years isn't the best career plan.

But Lukaku should be happy to be here. Same for De Gea ( overrated here ). They are deluded if they think that they are to big for this team. That's there level !

Last edited:

adexkola

Supports
Nice stats, completely worthless though.

When was the last time Lukaku scored a 'good', let alone world class, individual goal?

Van Persie regularly did. He didn't just rely on service. He also apparently had double the amount of 'big' chances in that season. He made things happen more.

I don't mind Lukaku, he's a good player. But if he thinks it's the team holding him back rather than the other way round, then good riddance.

Tbh, I've been slightly suspicious of his motivations after all the hype around him emerged regarding his supposed humility and intelligence, etc. All seemed a bit forced and I suspect a lot of it was engineered by his camp. If you're actually humble and prepared to adapt in order to succeed, you shouldn't even have to say it. He's actually performing worse as his time here progresses too.

If we can recoup his transfer fee, then I won't lose much sleep if he goes.
You completely missed the point.

The question isn't whether Lukaku is better than Van Persie. It's correcting someone else who criticized Lukaku's conversion rate. The numbers show he is outperforming his peers on that front. They also show he is presented with less chances to score than his peers.

Now if you want to dodge that and make this a referendum on how sexy his goals look, yeah go ahead on that one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Do you think if we replaced RVP with the current Lukaku we'd still win the league?
I'm not arguing that Lukaku was as good as RVP though.

A poster implied the problem with Lukaku was that he wasn't clinical enough. The comparison with RVP just makes it very clear that isn't the problem. Chance for chance Lukaku was more clinical than RVP, demostrably and irrefutably so.

However, you can still absolutely argue that RVP being a better all round footballer saw him create more chances for himself and/or aided us in creating more chances for him, which is what saw him carry the team by scoring a bundle of goals.

People are still free to criticise Lukaku, they just shouldn't criticise him for being wasteful. His flaws are in other aspects of his game. However, it would also be silly to pretend that playing under Mourinho for most of his United career isn't also a factor in Lukaku's chance stats.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
You completely missed the point.

The question isn't whether Lukaku is better than Van Persie. It's correcting someone else who criticized Lukaku's conversion rate. The numbers show he is outperforming his peers on that front. They also show he is presented with less chances to score than his peers.

Now if you want to dodge that and make this a referendum on how sexy his goals look, yeah go ahead on that one.
No, my point was that those kinds of stats are flawed. He doesn't get as many 'big' chances as his peers because his movement is garbage.

Mcking

Current Lukaku is not the best Lukaku. He has regressed due to having to play in such a poor team. Van Persie was one of the best strikers back then, but 26 goals in one EPL season is not something Lukaku has not done in his career.

FrenchRed

This season in the PL his goal conversion rate is 23.1%, which is better than all of Aubamayang, Vardy, Lacazette, Aguero, Firmino, Kane, Rashford and Higuain.

The key stat with Lukaku is that all of those players bar Higuain have had more attempts on goal than him this season and last season the likes of Kane had chances at literally twice the rate Lukaku did.

For example, someone like Aguero peppers the goal with attempts (even low percentage ones) which sees him miss an awful lot more but results in more goals even with a lower conversion rate:

Goal conversion: Lukaku 23.1%, Aguero 19.6%
Goal attempts: Lukaku 52, Aguero 97
Min. Per Chance: Lukaku 35.7, Aguero 26.

So your impression of him is entirely wrong. He is actually quite a clinical striker when he has a chance, he just gets/takes relatively few chances (either as a result of the team or his own play) which means any misses stand out. Whereas other strikers miss a lot more but the sheer volume of their attempts on goal carries them. Other strikers are also more likely to compensate for missed "big chances" by converting one of their many low percentage attempts, at which point their miss is forgotten.
Thanks for the stats and info, very enlightening - I stand corrected. I guess when I am thinking of missed chances, all the messed up build up play and losing the ball before he can shoot skews my views.

I really do want him to do well, but sadly at this point think we’d do better with another quick striker that would fit into our play much better.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
He has a lot of goals for someone who has shit movement.

But maybe you're right. Goal statistics probably flawed or something.
I never said he was a bad player, btw. He has other qualities.

Comparing conversion rates without watching all of the players though can lead to incorrect conclusions. I would argue that a lot of the chances he did score were easier than those that Kane, for instance, converted. However, they would all be classified as 'big' chances and indistinguishable according to that metric.

el3mel

He has a lot of goals for someone who has shit movement.

But maybe you're right. Goal statistics probably flawed or something.
This was discussed to death in his performance thread but imo his movement while he was at Everton was far better than at United. Lukaku of United is different from that of Everton and for worse.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
This was discussed to death in his performance thread but imo his movement while he was at Everton was far better than at United. Lukaku of United is different from that of Everton and for worse.
He definitely put on about 5 kg of muscle in that summer he moved to us.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No, my point was that those kinds of stats are flawed. He doesn't get as many 'big' chances as his peers because his movement is garbage.
Yet with that same garbage movement he recieved more chances in his final year at Everton than he did last year at Manchester United. His minutes per chance was better too (29.7 vs 35.7).

So either his movement suddenly got much worse upon arriving at Manchester United or our very different (and less creative) style of play had an impact. Being a logical person, I tend to opt for the more likely latter scenario.

Which doesn't also discount the idea that better players would suffer less in that scenario, or that Lukaku's form has dipped, or that bulking up had an effect on this season in particular.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Yet with that same garbage movement he recieved more chances in his final year at Everton than he did last year at Manchester United. His minutes per chance was better too (29.7 vs 35.7).

So either his movement suddenly got much worse upon arriving at Manchester United or our very different (and less creative) style of play had an impact. Being a logical person, I tend to opt for the more likely latter scenario. Which doesn't also discount the idea that better players would suffer less in that scenario.
He was the best player in that team, clearly they were structured around getting the best out of him.

When you take the step up to a bigger club with better players around you, that is often not the case.

Personally, I think it is a mental thing with him. I don't think he really has it in him to perform at the highest level and win us titles. A starting striker at United must do that.

So if he is not happy playing a support role, then let him leave.

Delano

The fact Lukaku thinks he can do better then us is hilarious. Woeful all round game for a "World Class" striker and the movement of a centre back. Unless it's 8 yards and he's got acres of space he isn't scoring. I'd sell in a heartbeat.

USREDEVIL

We would have been better off bringing Chicharito back.
Way cheaper too.
The fact Lukaku thinks he can do better then us is hilarious. Woeful all round game for a "World Class" striker and the movement of a centre back. Unless it's 8 yards and he's got acres of space he isn't scoring. I'd sell in a heartbeat.
He's not exactly Aguero is he? I mean he's pretty good in the box and a pretty good passer, but his reputation as a "flat track bully" seems to have a bit of merit.