Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

padzilla

Hipster
It's a strange one because on one hand he is clearly not good enough for what we want but is still a more likely to score option than our other forwards, that probably speaks volumes about the state of the club.

Jinn

Ok. I am done defending him. We will see what he does in Italy.
It doesn't matter what he does in Italy. It's what he does/did here...
The guy is not good enough for UTD, never has been, never will be. I'll be glad to see the back of him, for the right price that is.

haram

It doesn't matter what he does in Italy. It's what he does/did here...
The guy is not good enough for UTD, never has been, never will be. I'll be glad to see the back of him, for the right price that is.
Well then, none of these players are. Lukaku is better than most of them. The only ones that are better are Pogba and de Gea and they both want to leave as well, funny that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
When we sell him we'll be back in the position we were 2 years ago when we bought him, being quoted £70m+ for the likes of Morata and Belotti. Replacing our most reliable goalscorer won't be easy.

hubbuh

Kevin Phillips did not also have an impeccable international record.
Have you actually seen the teams he scored against to achieve his impeccable scoring record, though?! Half of them were friendlies! In 'meaningful' games (qualifiers, World Cup, Euros) he's scored against Scotland, Kazakhstan, Tunisia, Panama, Cyrus, Greece, Gibraltar, Greece, Estonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus (again), RoI, the USA and Croatia.

Can’t believe how sensitive most are being here. Lukaku wants to play. Not happy to sit on the bench in his prime and collect his wages like Bale. Totally natural for a player like him to push for a move once the club made it known the local boy was first choice.
Yeah I don't see the issue here. For a player not rated by a good number of people on the Caf, you'd think this news would be received better. After all, there are plenty of strikers out there who can create and score chances all by themselves.
I find this point of view completely hilarious. One of the highest paid strikers in the game, in his prime age, can't be arsed to compete for a starting spot at the biggest club in England and fire them back to the top. He is completely wrong for Utd by almost every tangible metric. Competitiveness, warrior-like attitude, ability to run for more than 15 minutes without being totally gassed, a degree of finesse etc. Get him gone ffs.

Jinn

Well then, none of these players are. Lukaku is better than most of them. The only ones that are better are Pogba and de Gea and they both want to leave as well, funny that.
Let them all feck off...this is Man UTD. We do not negotiate with mercenaries, I hope.

The Nani

Again the top 6 thing is harsh. We play such a defensive system, it's hard for anyone to score consistently against big teams (there are exceptions like Vardy). For example in 2017-18, even though he scored just 1 goal vs top 6, he also made assists vs Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and was very good vs Arsenal. He also played well against teams from 7th to 10th.

In 2016-17, he scored in both games vs City, also against Spurs and Arsenal.

This season he was poor though.
It corresponds with his record internationally as well though. Has rarely done it for Belgium against decent opposition. I don’t that’s any coincidence.

He’s a player who only flourishes when afforded lots of opportunities and space.

Jinn

When we sell him we'll be back in the position we were 2 years ago when we bought him, being quoted £70m+ for the likes of Morata and Belotti. Replacing our most reliable goalscorer won't be easy.
No we won't. Strategy has changed, we not looking for quick fixes anymore. That is what we are led to believe now anyway, lets see.

Smores

We can't afford to let him go there's simply too many other areas to fix first. Sort our midfield and wings this summer and he's bound to have a much better season anyway.

Ramos

Have you actually seen the teams he scored against to achieve his impeccable scoring record, though?! Half of them were friendlies! In 'meaningful' games (qualifiers, World Cup, Euros) he's scored against Scotland, Kazakhstan, Tunisia, Panama, Cyrus, Greece, Gibraltar, Greece, Estonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus (again), RoI, the USA and Croatia.
In "meaningful" games Harry Kane scored against Lithuania, San Marino, Switzerland, Scotland, Malta, Slovenia, Lithuania (again), Tunisia, Panama, Colombia, Czech Republic and Montenegro.

It's international football. For seeded teams 90% of the meaningful games aren't against the big teams.

hubbuh

In "meaningful" games Harry Kane scored against Lithuania, San Marino, Switzerland, Scotland, Malta, Slovenia, Lithuania (again), Tunisia, Panama, Colombia, Czech Republic and Montenegro.

It's international football. For seeded teams 90% of the meaningful games aren't against the big teams.
Has anyone argued in favour of Kane's 'impeccable' international goal scoring record, though? Using that as a selling point for Lukaku is meaningless. To use your Kane comparison - that's a striker that has proven he can actually score against big teams consistently.

Ramos

Has anyone argued in favour of Kane's 'impeccable' international goal scoring record, though? Using that as a selling point for Lukaku is meaningless. To use your Kane comparison - that's a striker that has proven he can actually score against big teams consistently.
Was just an example to show that when you limit international football to just meaningful games in WC and Euro's you'll end up with lists like that. There's only a couple of opportunities to score against the really big teams. In Lukaku's case, there were like 4 or 5 max.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Enough said.
Take the money and reinvest.

StonedhamsterZA

I'm not in support of getting rid of Lukaku, but if we had to, I don't think we'd be able to rely on Rashford, Martial and Sanchez.

Who else is out there that is within reason and could bag us the 10-20 goals we'd lose if we sold Lukaku? Unless it's a left field signing we've never heard of, I'm not sure there are too many options. And not having too many options means we will get bent over for a transfer fee too.

Le Red

I find this point of view completely hilarious. One of the highest paid strikers in the game, in his prime age, can't be arsed to compete for a starting spot at the biggest club in England and fire them back to the top. He is completely wrong for Utd by almost every tangible metric. Competitiveness, warrior-like attitude, ability to run for more than 15 minutes without being totally gassed, a degree of finesse etc. Get him gone ffs.
Switch the word attacker for midfielder and remove the parts about competing for a spot and finesse and you just described Pogba. Still, Pogba gets away with murder while Lukaku is being thrown under the bus.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Switch the word attacker for midfielder and remove the parts about competing for a spot and finesse and you just described Pogba. Still, Pogba gets away with murder while Lukaku is being thrown under the bus.

I don't see these kind of stats from Lukaku

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
I don't see these kind of stats from Lukaku
Isn't Lukaku the 3rd best goal scorer of the Premier League (after Aguero and Kane)?? I dont get all this criticism by United fans

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Isn't Lukaku the 3rd best goal scorer of the Premier League (after Aguero and Kane)?? I dont get all this criticism by United fans
He's very effective in a lesser team built to his strengths. A team that perhaps aren't one that teams camp in defence against, and allow loads of room for him to sprint into.

For a team like us who often come across packed defences, his criminal lack of control is a massive hindrance. Plus a truly shocking workrate.

beingshe7don

I think Inter aren't going to pay cash outright. Lukaku and Darmian for Skriniar would solve all our CB issues. That would be a no brainer deal for Inter.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We could even throw in Jones, Young and Lingard to sweeten the deal. Maybe Sanchez too if they’re still not sure.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We could even throw in Jones, Young and Lingard to sweeten the deal. Maybe Sanchez too if they’re still not sure.
They may realize that we want to get rid of him.:angel:

hubbuh

Are you joking? Pogba gets away with murder? Are we living in alternate realities? He is probably one of the most derided players in the game at the moment - from every single facet of his football to his haircuts, dancing, general bleedin' way of being. Some of it might be warranted (despite his stats this year he hasn't been able to match expectations) but he certainly has not gotten away with it - warranted or not.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If we sell Lukaku where is the incoming striker.

Anyone able to name me an available striker who would improve us?

Lukaku has a great record against smaller sides in the PL. Throwing away a very good proven PL striker is a risk at the moment.

Gandalf

Lukaku has a great record against smaller sides in the PL. Throwing away a very good proven PL striker is a risk at the moment.
Sebastien Haller. Would certainly match Lukaku's goals for last season and is a much better fit for the system we want to play which would help Rashford and Martial step up.

No. He has a par record against smaller clubs. He’s a solid 1:2 striker - however, 1 goal in 23 games against the top 6 for Utd over the past two years is truly shocking.

He scored 15 goals last season, that’s pretty easy to replace, either from a new striker or by giving current players more minutes as a striker. We are not replacing the likes of Ronaldo, RVN or or RVP are we?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Sebastien Haller. Would certainly match Lukaku's goals for last season and is a much better fit for the system we want to play which would help Rashford and Martial step up.
Haller has done ok in a worse league. Lukaku would do better.

No. He has a par record against smaller clubs. He’s a solid 1:2 striker - however, 1 goal in 23 games against the top 6 for Utd over the past two years is truly shocking.

He scored 15 goals last season, that’s pretty easy to replace, either from a new striker or by giving current players more minutes as a striker. We are not replacing the likes of Ronaldo, RVN or or RVP are we?
No but I think it’s short sighted to get rid of someone with his overall PL record

Gandalf

Haller has done ok in a worse league. Lukaku would do better.

No but I think it’s short sighted to get rid of someone with his overall PL record
Haller fits our system better so it is not just the goals he would replace but the impact on our overall attacking play that Lukaku cannot provide. I am not sure where the getting rid comment comes from, Lukaku is the one agitating to get out and in a far more aggressive manner than Pogba. He is making moon eyes at Conte and telling journalists he has made up his mind where he is playing next year as though nobody else has any say in where he goes. I think he is less professional than Pogba and I genuinely think if we stop him moving he will down tools and pick up the pies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's a simple thing with Lukaku. I dont think hes suited for a top team, and I dont think he is really mentally suited for a club the size of United. He wants to go somewhere he's going to play regularly, he has been in the premier league a decent amount, he is allowed to want to leave. I dont have any hard feelings towards him, but United is taking the right approach of having their price. I just hope we do replace him with someone who can score regularly against cannon fodder at least so we can grind out results, otherwise we'll struggle.

el3mel

Everyone want to leave. May they all feck off for as much as I care.

That would be best for everyone, but I would bet a fair sum of money he’s not going anywhere in the next couple of weeks. It’s going to take Inter a while to get the money together for an appropriate transfer fee, and if they can’t get there he won’t be leaving.

My bet is that he will be on the plane to Australia.

Siorac

Are you joking? Pogba gets away with murder? Are we living in alternate realities? He is probably one of the most derided players in the game at the moment - from every single facet of his football to his haircuts, dancing, general bleedin' way of being. Some of it might be warranted (despite his stats this year he hasn't been able to match expectations) but he certainly has not gotten away with it - warranted or not.
This is a bit like when someone, in a similar fit of whataboutism during a Caf argument, stated that Rooney had not been criticised on here.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I can't see Lukaku leaving.
Seem to be a very limited number of clubs interested in him and none of them can afford the price tag slapped on his head unless they do a player swap, and none seem willing.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I reckon he'll end up staying and it'll be a grim situation for everyone involved.

Just don't think Inter will be able to shift Icardi and come up with the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.