Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saffron

Many people see Ole as a manager without a backbone, but I think he's more ruthless than we think. He didn't hesitate in dropping Lukaku and even Matic when they weren't playing well.
It was Mourinho who began benching Lukaku for performance reasons and paved the way for Ole to do the same. Everyone could see his poor form before Ole took over.

And as for Matic, his stock wasn’t high either among the fans when Ole took over. He was a Mou favourite but not a fan favourite. Also easy to bench.

What would have shown some backbone would have been to bench De Gea.

TheHeya

We are going to regret it if we are going into the new season with Rashford as our most experienced striker.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There "may" be some "Movement" on a transfer next week.

Or erm..there may not be.

United Roar

I want him out of the club but our problems won't go away just because he gets sold.

Irwin99

Lets hope they find a buyer for Icardi soon mate. Who do you think we should get to replace Lukaku?
I've honesty never seen this Ben Yedder play but I just wan't someone who will fit the system, press and work hard and have good/decent hold up play. He sounds interesting and the opposite of Lukaku.

oh gawd, i've just seen the picture of him having returned from holiday. Hope it's just an unfaltering angle or else he's been really living it up in the summer :eek: One overweight guy for another.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Can’t wait for Lukaku to leave. Never warmed to him as a United player. He just doesn’t fit here. Probably one of the least technically proficient forwards I have ever seen play regularly for the club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The comments seem very much like he's leaving. Don't necessarily feel like we have to replace him even if he goes tbh. We need a midfielder and a defender, but going into the season with Martial, Rashford, Lingard, James, Greenwood, Mata, Sanchez and Gomes/Chong as potential front 3 options, I'd say that's more than fine number wise, it's just banking on a lot of youth to step up, but we arent competing for the title anyway so if there was a time to do it, it's now. Plenty of opportunity there though both in how close some of them are, potential or whatever else to actually step up and it become an excellent front line with what we have. People are gonna be upset, but I'm ok with it.

Sancho is who we should go all out for whenever it becomes possible, but no need to block others until then. Next summer if we buy Sancho, then we'll have Martial and Rashford likely both competing with each other and both Greenwood and James to stay in the team, if they haven't lost their spots by then already!

haram

The comments seem very much like he's leaving. Don't necessarily feel like we have to replace him even if he goes tbh. We need a midfielder and a defender, but going into the season with Martial, Rashford, Lingard, James, Greenwood, Mata, Sanchez and Gomes/Chong as potential front 3 options, I'd say that's more than fine number wise, it's just banking on a lot of youth to step up, but we arent competing for the title anyway so if there was a time to do it, it's now. Plenty of opportunity there though both in how close some of them are, potential or whatever else to actually step up and it become an excellent front line with what we have. People are gonna be upset, but I'm ok with it.

Sancho is who we should go all out for whenever it becomes possible, but no need to block others until then. Next summer if we buy Sancho, then we'll have Martial and Rashford likely both competing with each other and both Greenwood and James to stay in the team, if they haven't lost their spots by then already!
Front line is not excellent whatever way you try spin it.

Irwin99

I don't think any of those are proper number 9's, we'd have to be banking on Sanchez to come good. Rashford seems to be the one marked for that role, but I'm not sure. Think we might have problems if we don't get a good replacement.

Btw, what the hell happened to this Lukaku? I'm sure Jose tried to make him a more 'complete' player by working on his hold up play, strength, awareness etc. but I don't think he was ever going to be like that.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don't think any of those are proper number 9's, we'd have to be banking on Sanchez to come good. Rashford seems to be the one marked for that role, but I'm not sure. Think we might have problems if we don't get a good replacement.

Btw, what the hell happened to this Lukaku? I'm sure Jose tried to make him a more 'complete' player by working on his hold up play, strength, awareness etc. but I don't think he was ever going to be like that.

The younger, leaner Lukaku was a much better player. I'd say better than Rashford.

It was obvious though that he was no longer that player towards the end of his time at Everton. When you watch that video, you can't believe it's the same player. Pace, aggression, more skill, better footwork, good finishing with both feet. We've never seen half of that in his time here.

Bondi77

There were rumours about this guy called Pedro from Fluminese being a target for us but have heard nothing since and Dembele also but all seems to have gone quiet since. I just do not see us spending 40mil on a 28yo forward as I think under Ole and Ed going forward that no player over 25-26 will be signed.

eltigreFalcao

This is nonsense. If Lukaku wasn't at United but was available for £65m would we be in for him? Answer is clearly no. So sell him. At the market rate please.
How come nonsense? You claim we «clearly» wouldnt do something but in reality you cannot back up that statement, and not anything you say actually deny what I've said. And at the end we actually agree: whoever wants him should pay what its worth. Here we can argue if he is up to said market rate or not and we would be arguing on personal opinion basis so its pointless. But I still agree with previous and quoted posts: I rather keep him than sell him on the loose and weakening our squad in the process.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Going by Solskjaer's and Lukaku's interview, this is close to done. Step in right direction imo. Just have to hope we don't mess up replacement and other additions.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We might finally see Perisic and Lukaku duo that Jose wanted.

Ironically, under Conte, his nemesis.

Canagel

Can’t wait for Lukaku to leave. Never warmed to him as a United player. He just doesn’t fit here. Probably one of the least technically proficient forwards I have ever seen play regularly for the club.
There are lots of players that should never have been signed. Lukaku, Fellaini, Smalling, Matic.. etc. all of them represent a style of football that has no place in the modern football.

C'est Moi Cantona

Much as I'm not keen on Lukaku, surely he's better than no one, which is what we could quite easily end up with if he goes, money diverted to Maguire and Longstaff instead, keeping that £100 million net spend firmly on track.

Eric's Seagull

I've honesty never seen this Ben Yedder play but I just wan't someone who will fit the system, press and work hard and have good/decent hold up play. He sounds interesting and the opposite of Lukaku.

oh gawd, i've just seen the picture of him having returned from holiday. Hope it's just an unfaltering angle or else he's been really living it up in the summer :eek: One overweight guy for another.
I think Ben Yedder would make a decent replacement. Never seen his photo you are on about I will have to look. Thanks for letting me about it mate :)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

He has only really existed on Youtube, in highlight videos.

United Pro

The younger, leaner Lukaku was a much better player. I'd say better than Rashford.

It was obvious though that he was no longer that player towards the end of his time at Everton. When you watch that video, you can't believe it's the same player. Pace, aggression, more skill, better footwork, good finishing with both feet. We've never seen half of that in his time here.
If you watch Lukaku's highlights at United, you'll see him demonstrating a lot of those attributes. The problem here is that a lot of the highlights reels on Youtube cuts out the negatives, so it's not entirely indicative of the player's overall level. There was a period last season where he bulked up way too much and his pace dropped significantly, but for the most part I highly doubt his performance has lowered since his Everton days. If anything, his hold up play has probably improved slightly.

If we are to sell Lukaku, we should either target a very clinical centre forward, or a pacy and technical RW, with Rashford and/or Martial playing up front (assuming we can't buy players for both position).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
“There may be some movement next week”

Are we sure he was asked about a transfer and not just his general style of play?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Many people see Ole as a manager without a backbone, but I think he's more ruthless than we think. He didn't hesitate in dropping Lukaku and even Matic when they weren't playing well.
Ruthless? He continued playing likes of Rashford, Young, Lingard week after week when they were stinking the place out.

Like any manager, Ole has his favorites. Fellaini and Lukaku are two of the most maligned players bought by this club, one was shipped few weeks after this arrival and other is in the process of being shipped. I'm not the only one who thinks Ole had pre-conceived notions about these two players that they do not belong here.

Houdini

I don't understand the hate against Lukaku. He is our best striker. He was played out of position at times. He is not winger and never will be. He was benched mmany times even after good performances. It is hard to judge a player after the whole team had shite season. He is more than a target man. His commitment is United level. Always gives 100% I would be happy if he stays if not we need a proper striker replacement which will be hard to find/expensive. He will be a beast at Juve and they are far from being a "hoof the ball team".

Irwin99

He has only really existed on Youtube, in highlight videos.
I think there's an element of truth in that as Everton fans used to say the same but he was a more explosive player for them. In fact if you look at his physique and the runs he made in behind he wouldn't actually be that far from what we want now (minus the poor first touch)

I don't understand the hate against Lukaku. He is our best striker. He was played out of position at times. He is not winger and never will be. He was benched mmany times even after good performances. It is hard to judge a player after the whole team had shite season. He is more than a target man. His commitment is United level. Always gives 100% I would be happy if he stays if not we need a proper striker replacement which will be hard to find/expensive. He will be a beast at Juve and they are far from being a "hoof the ball team".
Ironically, probably his best performance last season was on the right against Arsenal. He is a good player when he's on form and will probably do well in Italy. I just don't think he'll ever be world class or fit in with our system, especially with the ridiculous amount of muscle weight he's holding. We need a striker that can link play better and run in behind defences.

Fer

This.

He offers something different compared with Rashford/Martial. Ole wants fast players and Lukaku is rapid considering his height. I would say that he is even skillful.

We just need a proper winger to assist him. It's difficult for Lukaku when Young is awful crossing the ball.

Lukaku is far from perfect but he is slightly better than most of the strikers available to replace him.

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
hopefully he will never come to Juve. We do not need a striker and especially that type of striker. Lukako is a good player but he was never worth the money you paid for him and if Inter are dumb enough to buy him for 70m you should call yourself lucky, grab the money and run.

There is lots of speculation that Icardi as a deal with Juve, but while I think he would be a better fit for juve and he costs very little thanks to the geniuses that manage Inter, I still would not be excited by him joining juve, especially if it means to sacrifice a very young and talented player like Kean

Stadjer

It is just extremely frustrating to see a Manchester United player have problems with controlling a football. He can do multiple things right during a match but when he fails to control a ball that will stick because it just looks so awfull.

He is good player but i dont think he is or will ever be a world class striker for an elite team. He will always score a decent amount of goals every season but a truly elite striker should offer more than a decent amount of goals.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It is just extremely frustrating to see a Manchester United player have problems with controlling a football. He can do multiple things right during a match but when he fails to control a ball that will stick because it just looks so awfull.

He is good player but i dont think he is or will ever be a world class striker for an elite team. He will always score a decent amount of goals every season but a truly elite striker should offer more than a decent amount of goals.
at the moment, I'd take the goals. not sure we are going to score enough of them with just Rashford up front (oh wait, Lingard will score 20 this season :nono:)

mu4c_20le

Ironically, probably his best performance last season was on the right against Arsenal. He is a good player when he's on form and will probably do well in Italy. I just don't think he'll ever be world class or fit in with our system, especially with the ridiculous amount of muscle weight he's holding. We need a striker that can link play better and run in behind defences.
It isn't ironic really, more like sad because the only reason he got pushed out wide was because his finishing was atrocious during his dip in form, and first touch too poor to lead the line. So Ole used his pace and power on the wing, and he did have a decent cross. But we didn't pay 75m for that.

hobbers

He offers something different compared with Rashford/Martial. Ole wants fast players and Lukaku is rapid considering his height. I would say that he is even skillful.
He really offers nothing at all different from Rashford or Martial, other than being a much worse footballer. He's not good in the air, he's not strong against defenders, he can't hold up the ball because the ball always bounces off him.

Skillful he most certainly is not, as all those failed stepovers and leaving the ball behind would attest to. And while he might be rapid for his weight, he can only manage 1 or 2 sprints a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.