Lukaku - transfer speculation | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Think Real May have something to say about Jovic seeing as they signed him a week or so ago.
Jovic has not been signed yet. They are in talks but Real are struggling to get it over the line due to their financial position hence their desperation to offload Bale and a couple of others. It is not likely that the deal collapses completely but in the event it does we should certainly be interested.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Perisic was a fecking monster in the World Cup less than a year ago. Tore Trippier and Walker a new arse hole in the semi-final. Drawbacks are it's another LW and his age though. It's a shame he's not a RW, would be a good short term option.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I've held the view for a while now that if we are selling Lukaku the thing to do is not try and replace him but instead bolster the wings. If Lukaku is going then I see Martial, Rashford and Greenwood competing to play as the main striker. The ideal additions I would then make to our attack would be to sign Nicolas Pepe as the RW and Hirving Lozano to play as the LW.

That would then allow us to finally be able to play a proper, fast paced fluid frontline with three forwards that could alternate in-game and hurt the opposition. I'd expect Martial to have a cracking season as a CF playing in this style of a system.

Ballist1x

If you look back to Ole's resurgence performances with Utd! Lukaku was key to some of our goals, scoring with his right foot!

Scoring 2 against PSG. During which time Rashford did little more or less except boot the ball from 40 yards out and score a penalty.

I'm just trying to balance this out because he was very good for us on occasion and better than the majority of our other players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you look back to Ole's resurgence performances with Utd! Lukaku was key to some of our goals, scoring with his right foot!

Scoring 2 against PSG. During which time Rashford did little more or less except boot the ball from 40 yards out and score a penalty.

I'm just trying to balance this out because he was very good for us on occasion and better than the majority of our other players.
Actually if you look back to Ole's resurgence performances, you will notice that Lukaku wasn't part of it. When Lukaku finally played a major role the performances went bad, I'm not linking these two things, he did score 4 goals in a week but it was after doing nothing for weeks and was followed by him doing nothing until the end of the season. The period that you are referring to is exactly where the problem is with Lukaku, he is incredibly inconsistent and while he can score doubles here and there, he will mainly provide next to nothing for months.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

You mean how he scored 6 goals in 2 weeks and then went to shit again being one of the culprits why we lost to Arsenal because he couldn't finish to save his life?

Djemba-Djemba

Under Ole he had one good week in March where he scored 6 goals. Barely scored a goal in the weeks before it and scored zero goals after it.

His lack of fitness is disgraceful and the way he seemed to spend most of the season talking of his dream to play in Italy or Spain was totally disrespectful.

I really hope he's sold.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
You mean how he scored 6 goals in 2 weeks and then went to shit again being one of the culprits why we lost to Arsenal because he couldn't finish to save his life?
It was worth it if only to see you stop wanking to some pointless gifs tbf.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It was worth it if only to see you stop wanking to some pointless gifs tbf.
If you enjoy that sort of quality at Man Utd
Then just wow the standards really have dropped for some fans if they can tolerate this kind of BS

Tomuś

I don't think the standard of his this past season is enough as he was utterly terrible for big chunks. However, the way you cherry-picked some meaningless touches and completely ignored the good things he did (let alone saving our sorry asses a few times) was pathetic.

Tomuś

I said plenty of times, I don't see him as good enough as a starter for where we want to be but as a useful option, be it on the wings or vs minnows/away from home.

The only way he has a chance of being a topl player for us is if we finally have world-class service across the pitch like he gets in Belgium. Not going to happen soon so...

JPRouve

Scout
I said plenty of times, I don't see him as good enough as a starter for where we want to be but as a useful option, be it on the wings or vs minnows/away from home.

The only way he has a chance of being a topl player for us is if we finally have world-class service across the pitch like he gets in Belgium. Not going to happen soon so...
He isn't exactly great for Belgium either despite the world-class service. If I'm not mistaken, he has one goal in the knockout stages and a bunch of goals against bad teams, he is part of the reason why Belgium fail to beat good teams in meaningful games despite all the talent that they have.

Tomuś

He isn't exactly great for Belgium either despite the world-class service. If I'm not mistaken, he has one goal in the knockout stages and a bunch of goals against bad teams, he is part of the reason why Belgium fail to beat good teams in meaningful games despite all the talent that they have.
Ok.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If he’s willing to come off the bench for us then I’m all for him staying - alas I don’t think he’ll want that. He’s too good to be a sub, but I just don’t think he’s good enough to start for us.

If the right offer comes, he can go.

JPRouve

Scout
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Romelu_Lukaku

Just look at the teams he scored against. Over half of his goals came against cannon fodder ffs. :houllier:
To be fair, that's true for pretty much all players. That's why international football is in its own bubble and you need to weight player's actual contribution. The issue with someone like Lukaku is that with Belgium he is generally invisible and inefficient in big games. But even for players that deliver at international level like Podolski, it's not actually relevant or translatable to club football.

Tomuś

Compare Lewa's team mates to Lukaku's.
Lewy takes all the penos, free-kicks and is the main man. Also had a pretty damn good team for 2/3 years. I saw Lukaku being completely ignored in great scoring positions by Hazard especially this WC. Not the main man.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Lewy takes all the penos, free-kicks and is the main man. Also had a pretty damn good team for 2/3 years. I saw Lukaku being completely ignored in great scoring positions by Hazard especially this WC. Not the main man.
And by de Bruyne too. Why do you think that is? Personally, I think it's because they don't rate him.

C'est Moi Cantona

I really hope he goes, not even bothered about buying another striker, just let Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood, scrap it out, and go all in for 2-3 wingers instead.

Tomuś

And by de Bruyne too. Why do you think that is? Personally, I think it's because they don't rate him.
De Bruyne surely did at the WC considering Lukaku's monster assist for him against Brazil. Hazard gave a feeling he was playing for himself/Madrid transfer at times.

Moriarty

I think if you compare him to the quality strikers we've had at United just in Fergie's time, he falls short. Stood next to players like Cole, Ruud, Hughsie, Ole, Sheringham, Yorkie, Rooney, and RVP, Lukaku comes way down the list.

Tomuś

Anyway, off to a training lads, keep discussing Lukaku's poor 45 in 79 record for Belgium instead of admitting you underrate it because of his shit club form.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’re still discussing whether or not he’s shit? I thought we’d agreed on that ages ago.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
De Bruyne surely did at the WC considering Lukaku's monster assist for him against Brazil. Hazard gave a feeling he was playing for himself/Madrid transfer at times.
I wasn't posting to suggest Lewa is the answer, btw. But I remember watching the World Cup and thinking that the Belgian players don't rate Lukaku, and I wasn't too surprised either. Sometimes he'd get a pass and it would bounce off him.

onemanarmy

I think if you compare him to the quality strikers we've had at United just in Fergie's time, he falls short. Stood next to players like Cole, Ruud, Hughsie, Ole, Sheringham, Yorkie, Rooney, and RVP, Lukaku comes way down the list.
The problem is that goes for about every position in the entire team, bar De Gea and even that's open for discussion. I'm convinced we need to invest big in other positions more urgently.

Kag

He’s a good striker that would score more goals in a better attacking team but I can’t say I’d give a monkeys if he left. There’s nothing about him that says: Manchester United star striker. He’ll never be that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Lukaku for Belgium is still not at the right level for a top team. Just doesn't affect the game anywhere close to enough, doesn't make enough runs and is a big part of the reason why Belgium, despite having the likes of Hazard, De Bruyne, Alderweireld and Vertonghen just struggle with him (and pretty frequently look a more fluid side with someone else up top, though whoever goes up top is usually not as reliable of a scorer against the smaller nations which is the majority of international football).

I think he'll be decent in the Serie A, but Inter will be downgrading anyway going from Icardi to Lukaku. Surely if they go all out for Lukaku then they will sell Icardi? Not that he's perfect for us, but I do think he's far more suited to a top team simply because his natural striker instincts like his off the ball movement, his ability to use his body battling with defenders, his ability in the air and his goalscoring ability are all far better than Lukaku's. Would instantly take him tbh, but we still need a proper right winger to provide the delivery into him.

Either way, Icardi or no Icardi being part of the deal, I would let Lukaku go to Inter. He's not good enough for United, he doesn't like being a bench player and the wages + fee he could bring in is not something that should be on our bench when our starting 11 is so mediocre.

Sterling Archer

Lukaku looks to be losing a decent amount of weight. Shame if he doesn't get another season with us at proper fitness. He will be twice the player oncs he is trim

Status
Not open for further replies.