Lukaku: We have been working on quick passing in last couple of weeks

Witchking

The lukaku quotes are really concerning to be honest.
It took such a long time and a pathetic start to the season to start practising quick and short passing? What did they practise before? What a strange club.

Witchking

Except it doesn’t, it implies that we’ve been working on it more than normal lately and it’s paying off with performances like we produced at Burnley.
It hardly ever showed in the way united played to say confidently that we used to work on quick passing before.

Seven Seas Sardines

The lukaku quotes are really concerning to be honest.
It took such a long time and a pathetic start to the season to start practising quick and short passing? What did they practise before? What a strange club.
Not really concerning to me. We all knew from the evidence shown that we've basically run around Carrington practicing defensive shape in every training. It's more exciting to me, as we finally are going in the right direction. A few weeks of McKenna seemingly getting more influence and we've already tripled our chances per game.

crackers0seven

He must be misquoted.. surely it didn't take to two new coaches to come in to get us to actually start and try and pass to ball. If so jose really has been left behind. Fingers crossed we stay going down this path and that we can start actually enjoy utd games again.

Greck

Next is working on attacking movement. We may have the worst movement in the top 6. Everyone just stays glued to their stations while a teammate several yards away is getting brutally pressed

Lj82

Sadly yeah, Martial isn't very adaptable. To get him playing at his best, you need to see him in one specific role. However it would still be interesting now that we have a normal LB who would give overlapping opportunities
Martial is more competing with Sanchez and Rashford than Lingard/Mata I guess. Which means he will not have that many opportunities. When he cites doesthe chance, he needs to seize it

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It hardly ever showed in the way united played to say confidently that we used to work on quick passing before.
I never said we did, I’m just trying to explain what Lukaku meant in baby terms to the other fella.

But I wouldn’t be concerned about his comments. He’s just reassuring the fans that the team is working on their attacking play and focussing on it more than ever - and showing that Mourinho has perhaps had a change of heart with his play style.

beycont

@Adisa @girish @AgentP Training process changes over time. Last year, the team focused on structural and tactical work - to make sure the team shape was good and we don't concede. This took a bit away from the attack. Now that the players have a good sense of the tactical system, the focus is on the passing lanes/ movements and systems. It's natural to do this in a team building process.

Also, I'm sure McKenna and Carrick are more attack minded coaches than Rui Faria. They will probably coach the midfielders to use space differently when we have the ball. For example, a bunch of times yesterday, Pogba was sticking to the right wing byline like a right winger! That's not something he did at all last season. I remember Carrick used to move over to that side a lot during the 2008-2012 period to put crosses in.

The down side of this fluidity was seen over the last 2 games - where our CBs were exposed in a few situations and we conceded 6 goals. (Unlikely that this would have happened with Faria in charge - when both our CMs were first responsible for protecting the CBs, before getting involved in the attack)
Exactly this. The building of a team takes time and it's a gradual evolution.

It's not that they did not work on attacking movements, but there were probably other areas that needed to be coached first and that took priority while attacking movements were not that emphasised but still being worked. You build a championship team from the back.

CA1

Isn't this one of the reasons Mourinho wanted a ball playing defender?

Hence why Lindelof is getting a games (unfortuntley he's still an accident waiting to happen in my opinion)

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Mourinho's tactics (defend deep and hit on the break) can only succeed if the players have quick, sharp skills to execute them.
I find it really frustrating when we hit a team on the counter, reach the half way line and then come to a dead stop because the player has no confidence in his own ability to charge towards the opposition GK and beat him 1v1.
Jose's teams have always been known for fantastic counter attacks, yet he has not imprinted this onto this set of MUFC players.

MuFc_1992

I really don't see why people are acting so surprised. Its well known that Jose relied on sitting back and countering against big teams in the past. Against weaker opposition it used to be sheer gulf in quality that won him games but that's no longer the case here. Its only a good thing that he's willing to change and reminiscent of Fergie relying on queiroz.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
The statue of liberty moves quicker than him.

I would rest him and give Rashford the forward striker role.

Bojan11

The statue of liberty moves quicker than him.

I would rest him and give Rashford the forward striker role.
Did you watch Rashford yesterday?

Might as well just give it to Sanchez or Martial.

Irrational.

Been dogshite lately. So has the team but still. Almost zero contribution on all aspects. I don't know if he is the man for us.

I'd try him on the right wing maybe.
Martial-Sanchez-Lukaku?

Agreed he doesn't deserve the central starting position.

AgentP

We should play Sanchez as striker. That's the position where he excelled at Arsenal. Even in the pre-season friendlies, he did well in that role.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He isn't the one for quick passing football at the moment, thats for damn sure.

To be fair to him, I think he is tired. Whether that is mentally or physically or a combination I don't know. He just looks a bit heavy and lost. It is clear he is working hard on improving his allround game, and gets to play because of it, even if the stuff he does doesn't come off... but it may be time to just give him a break and let him reflect on what he has learned... then come back and try again. Might do wonders.

EyeInTheSky

He looks better on the right and he has a very good cross on him. He always finds his man with a cross for good scoring chances. I would rather have Rashford or Martial in the center for their quicker acceleration and Rashford is better in the box than on the wing imo. Rashford is an instinct player who does not do well when given too much time to think or make decisions far away from the box.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
He looks better on the right and he has a very good cross on him. He always finds his man with a cross for good scoring chances. I would rather have Rashford or Martial in the center for their quicker acceleration and Rashford is better in the box than on the wing imo. Rashford is an instinct player who does not do well when given too much time to think or make decisions far away from the box.
Rashford is a shite No 9 and has had a handful of good games (Liverpool last year) there since his breakthrough season.

Patrick08

We should play Sanchez as striker. That's the position where he excelled at Arsenal. Even in the pre-season friendlies, he did well in that role.
Sanchez as a target man wouldn't be a good sight.:D

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Did you watch Rashford yesterday?

Might as well just give it to Sanchez or Martial.
Yes and I am not a massive fan of Rashford but my point is that Lukaku needs to be taken out for a game or two plus we need to try something different.

Hoof the ball

"Working on our passing the last few weeks"

FFS. Don't work on passing. You're pro's, you should have that shit down by now. You work on team moves!

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I don’t remember the game after twenty minutes in fairness. Buzzing to hanging on.

He’s never going to be a good enough lead striker for us, off the wings or as a 10 possibly if he improves a lot.
Lukaku? As a 10? Lukaku?

starman

Think he meant to say was "Ive been working on controlling quick passes, because i am being found out at this level"