Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superunknown

He's brilliant in this position. Just a touch of genius playing him there. It works so well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don't actually think he's a drop off from Martinez at CB, maybe even better. It's what we lose at LB that is a bigger loss.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's got the best technique in the team, on par with Martinez. A wonderful footballer.
I’ve said it a few times — our best press resistant/being comfortable on the ball players are our LCB and LB. It’s quite annoying :lol:

Rustyspider13

I’ve said it a few times — our best press resistant/being comfortable on the ball players are our LCB and LB. It’s quite annoying :lol:
When you put it like that, it really is annoying :lol: We need to get one of those players in midfield next season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't actually think he's a drop off from Martinez at CB, maybe even better. It's what we lose at LB that is a bigger loss.
I actually enjoy watch Shaw in this CB role than as LB. I think he’s more consistent throughout the games.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's honestly not many footballers I enjoy watching more than an in-form Luke Shaw. The way he just effortlessly over-powers opposition players or uses his speed to simply get to the ball first, combined with his touch and passing ability...it's just pure class.

devil99

If we sell Maguire we could get either a backup CB or a starting LB.

Blood Mage

Really starting to lean towards we should make him a full-time CB and buy a new LB in the summer.

Dorris

Really starting to lean towards we should make him a full-time CB and buy a new LB in the summer.
I’m hoping bringing Fernandez back completes our left sided defence. But Shaw has to start LB purely because of Martinez.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You forget about Martinez who is as good as anybody in that position? That way you can use Shaw who is world class as a LB as well?

Red-17

He concentrates better I think.
I think Shaw is at his best when the play is in front of him, he always seems reluctant to properly chase someone down and often opts for the cheap foul instead. Since he isn't getting forward as much as a center back, he almost never is in that scenario.

criticalanalysis

He concentrates better I think.
I think Shaw is at his best when the play is in front of him, he always seems reluctant to properly chase someone down and often opts for the cheap foul instead. Since he isn't getting forward as much as a center back, he almost never is in that scenario.
Yup. I also think he simply doesn't have the body to handle constant sprints up and down the pitch anymore, either through lack of conditioning or injuries taking its toll. Far too many times in a game where you'd expect him to be overlapping or carrying the ball, he's on his heels. Subconsciously, I'm sure there's a lot of self preservation going on.

At centre back, he can 'relax' his body more as he can use his superior upper body strength to handle aerials and close vicinity duels. Also it means he can turn on the afterburners for recovering sprints only a few times a game.

The United

His role would be at CB at some point in the future due to his fitness. The guy is one of the fastest in the squad but can't exactly use his full speed all the time due to his injuries. Being at CB probably will help with that.

The United

Problem is we've already got Martinez for LCB position. And both are too good not to be in starting 11.
Teams play with two right-footed CBs all the time, and I wonder why not many, if at all, play with two left-footed CBs.

lsd

The Oracle
Thought he has been excellent at centre back and even reminded me of Martinez today.

It's weird as i always felt at full back he was weak defensively but way better attacking wise.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
One of those games where everything looked effortless for him. Wonderful player at times.
Well said. The thing I like most about Shaw is that he is both confident with the ball as well as being calm under pressure. EtH has got him playing really well.

Red-17

Yup. I also think he simply doesn't have the body to handle constant sprints up and down the pitch anymore, either through lack of conditioning or injuries taking its toll. Far too many times in a game where you'd expect him to be overlapping or carrying the ball, he's on his heels. Subconsciously, I'm sure there's a lot of self preservation going on.

At centre back, he can 'relax' his body more as he can use his superior upper body strength to handle aerials and close vicinity duels. Also it means he can turn on the afterburners for recovering sprints only a few times a game.
I think this is the main thing. I don't remember the last time I saw him actually go in an all out sprint for more than 30 yards. The same applies to Martial. Both are very fast players, but I think they both pretty much avoid sprinting at all costs because of their awful injury history.

stw2022

He's so calm and assured. Maguire just causes havoc when he comes in the team

Last edited:

Marwood

He's a better CB than LB I think. His only weakness is the lungs to get up and down the pitch constantly. Not a problem at CB.

I would like to see him and Martinez together at CB. Be interesting to see. Just a shame one of them isn't a little taller.

dpansheth

Pure class, and he has made even lindelof looked better. No use of maguire in this team now although we may want to buy another left back .

TheRedHearted

Maybe we should sign a new LB, sell maguire and have Shaw as the fourth cb?

if Bissaka is off, a new RB, sign Caicedo, Kane and Ferguson. Give our wingers another half season (In sancho and Antony). And sign a CM without a lot of energy and legs

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's a better CB than LB I think. His only weakness is the lungs to get up and down the pitch constantly. Not a problem at CB.

I would like to see him and Martinez together at CB. Be interesting to see. Just a shame one of them isn't a little taller.
Shaw is taller than you'd think. Google has him 6ft 1, and while I'm dubious on that, I'd take him as 6ft.

York

Great game today. How did he end up there again? Isn't the story he volunteered after someone was injured or something along those lines?

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Said it way before anyone else here, he should play a CB when he's not in form as a LB. He's got all the attributes for a CB. Great all round defender, mostly clean tackler, reads the game very well, good build, decent in the air. Superb first touche and ball playing ability along with vision. As a CB he's more involved and has to be switched on for 90 minues which suits him too. When he ages he will lose explosiveness but can play till 35 at the highest level as a CB, if major injuries doesn't catch up with him.

We should be trying to get some explosive LB sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.