Luke Shaw contract extension

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah, reckon this is just bolstering the amount we can receive for him. I still think he's an excellent prospect but he simply isn't going to be given the nurturing time to realise it here. The pecking order has been made clear, I just don't think we'll see Shaw playing and starting multiple games to get himself back up to speed. Partly down to injuries, but most likely down to the manager just not fancying him there.
It's more down to his own efforts, or lack thereof, from my reading of the landscape. He needs to sort his fitness out and stop eating like a stoner.

Rake

The +1 clause. He'll be gone in the summer.
Tend to agree. I can't even see him getting games. Young is playing well, Blind and Darmian are both ahead of him. Not to mention Rojo when he gets back.

Shaw needs to really impress when he gets the chance but I just don't see it happening. Addtionally, Jose was far from pleased with his dedication. Hopefully I`m wrong though

tomaldinho1

Yeah its a little worrying (at least from his perspective) given his age that we're just extending the current option rather than negotiating a new deal.
There's no way he's in a position to push for improve terms + isn't he on 100k a week already?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
No - gut feeling and logical conclusion. If we thought he had a decent future here, we'd have agreed a new contract rather than just activating the clause.
Yeah but we could also be using the extension to assess him a bit more. I reckon he still has a chance of coming good, he just needs to get back into it. He's been out of shape or injured for a long time now, which is obviously a part of the issue.

I think if he doesn't impress at all this season then he's done here. Maybe a good idea to stick one of those buy back clauses in, because he's still young and could turn out really well at a mid level premier league club.

Kapardin

Yeah its a little worrying (at least from his perspective) given his age that we're just extending the current option rather than negotiating a new deal.
Not worrying. Its' wise.

Worrying would be giving him a new 5 year deal after what he has served up in his time here.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
AKA "Player not showing enough in training to impress the manager or showing the hunger to be better than the others competing for his position"
I am not claiming that my assumptions are correct, but I don't see why we are blaming Jose in this affair.
It's more down to his own efforts, or lack thereof, from my reading of the landscape. He needs to sort his fitness out and stop eating like a stoner.
I get this - he doesn't seem to have come back from injury well at all, I've read that his U23 performances have been mediocre at best. Still, I think he just needs the game time to get back into the swing of things; to be played through this lean spell straight after injury. Of course, Mourinho isn't the type of manager to take such a risk, which is understandable, and the onus is then on Shaw.

But... Mourinho is also the type of manager who can make his mind up on a player very quickly. He was very critical of him last season, and he at the moment has 3 [far more reliable] options in that position. One, I don't think has ever been injured for us(?) during his time here (Blind), and the other two - Young/Darmian - are almost the polar opposites of Shaw; no real potential to become excellent or anything, but have the drive and exertion Mourinho craves in his players. Maybe the gate is just now straight up closed for Shaw?

Don't really get the eating like a stoner stuff, though. Is there any recent documentation that he is overeating?

GBBQ

There's no way he's in a position to push for improve terms + isn't he on 100k a week already?
Why would we have to offer him improved terms, surely we could offer 50K a week (doubt any other club will match it).
Not worrying. Its' wise.

Worrying would be giving him a new 5 year deal after what he has served up in his time here.
Yeah that's why i said from his perspective. Completely understand that United have already poured a lot of money into him already with little to show for it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Definitely looks like it might be a way to keep him to retain his sale value. Seems that Jose may have not seen the FBs he wanted this window, but may well do during the next one.

Ace of Spades

He can regain his form and be a very good player, but just not here.

Is similar to Falcao situation, he needs to recover and play regularly where there is less pressure to give consistent performances. I think he can do it at another club where the pressure is not that high.

el3mel

Whether he has future here or not his contract must have been extended to prevent him from going on free.

I just hope when he's sold we can get a similar price to what we got for Schneiderlin.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nothing to see here really.

pseudo_canadian

Yeah at his age he'd of been given a proper contract renewal if we really wanted him.
Not necessarily.

Giving him the +1 essentially gives him this season to make his mark in the team. If he doesn't convince Jose, then he's gone. The +1 is insurance for the club.

davidmichael

Basically means Shaw either steps up and gains Jose's full trust OR he'll be sold in the summer and be replaced by an established quality first choice left back, who's out there though worth going all out for as first choice left back ?

lsd

The Oracle
Will be gone in the summer without doubt and I feel this proves it . There's no way we would give him a new contract .

Adds a bit more to his resale value .

R4lyf

Quick Thought
In case Luke Shaw failed to nail down the LB position this season, coupled with ageing Valencia, which 2 FB do you think we could sign or promote to first team next season.
Cheers.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Basically means Shaw either steps up and gains Jose's full trust OR he'll be sold in the summer and be replaced by an established quality first choice left back, who's out there though worth going all out for as first choice left back ?
Danny Rose or Alex Sandro would be obvious choices, but both are likely to be expensive (I'm guessing probably £55m for Rose and £65m+ for Sandro).

Alex Telles looks promising for Porto and would be a lot cheaper, Ghoulam seems to have started the season very well for Napoli too but I don't know much about him, I've always thought Bernat at Bayern should have commanded more interest from the top teams too.

poacher

It's obviously a asset enhancing move rather than an indication of his worth to the team. He's a young, English, home-grown and still has a lot of potential so in his market could still fetch north of 20-25 million.
No one will pay 20m for a guy that has hardly played for two years. If he started a few games and was decent then yes he could command that sort of fee. If we could get 20m for him then we should take it and use it to buy Jose Gaya who wouldn't cost much more and is miles better and crucially fit.

Womp

idiot
Was an obvious decision, at least we can get some money back for him next summer. I had such high hopes for the lad and was proper giddy when he signed, doesn't look like he'll ever become a third of the player I thought he would be.

Womp

idiot
Quick Thought
In case Luke Shaw failed to nail down the LB position this season, coupled with ageing Valencia, which 2 FB do you think we could sign or promote to first team next season.
Cheers.
I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for Rose or Tierney for the LB position. Right back I'm not so sure, maybe Meunier? Would be almost impossible to pry him away from PSG but considering he's a huge fan of United, maybe. A new young RB prospect could prop up this season that PSG would be interested in too.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If the club was desperate for him to stay, they'll have handed him a proper contract.
Shame how it's gone so far. Hoping for a miracle.
This, unfortunately.
He has all the talent to get back to playing regularly with us. There is a possibility he will never be the same player after the injury though. He's had pretty bad luck mixed with a questionable attitude. He's already a very rich man so if he has no real sporting ambition he's still set for life. He'll get another big contract at his next club based on the previous hype too. I really still hope he can turn it around here but I'm slowly losing faith he'll ever be one of the best in his position in the league, which is what we need him to be. Ideally he'd be one of the best in the world and he's a long long way away from that now.

poacher

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for Rose or Tierney for the LB position. Right back I'm not so sure, maybe Meunier? Would be almost impossible to pry him away from PSG but considering he's a huge fan of United, maybe. A new young RB prospect could prop up this season that PSG would be interested in too.
Not a fan of Rose, especially at the 60m Spurs would demand. Rose is just another example of an overpriced and overrated English player. You could probably get Jose Gaya or Ghoulam for less than half that or if you wanted to spend 70m then Alex Sandro is top notch.

Varun

Staff
Watch him replace Rose at Spurs and become one of the best FBs in the league.

MadMike

Watch him replace Rose at Spurs and become one of the best FBs in the league.
Tbh, if that's what he needs to kick-start his career I won't bedgrudge him the transfer and I'd be happy to see him play well again. He doesn't seem capable of doing it here though, it's been 4 years of nothing. It's been over a year since he recovered from his injury and he doesn't seem to have the same ability and drive. And he won't be played until he re-discovers either of them here. Which is fair enough.

prtk0811

Tbh, if that's what he needs to kick-start his career I won't bedgrudge him the transfer and I'd be happy to see him play well again. He doesn't seem capable of doing it here though, it's been 4 years of nothing. It's been over a year since he recovered from his injury and he doesn't seem to have the same ability and drive. And he won't be played until he re-discovers either of them here. Which is fair enough.
He has showed glimpses in his best form and fitness period here which is good enough as he has that higher ceiling. You Would not expect a player to come back to form for atleast 6 months after a double leg break like that, and he again got injured when he came back which was again a contact injury. The conditions are too harsh straight after such injuries.

Yes in terms of fitness and work ethic he has to do more and mentally toughen up, but when he'll be fit he'll be what we need him from him. Just look at Phil jones's career, Plagued by injuries after injuries which was not even contact injuries like in the case of luke shaw, was terrible under moyes and LVG, had injuries under jose too and most of cafe was of the idea of him being sold, now when jones has matured he's the first choice prefrence of mourinho and playing wonderfully well. With luke shaw we should accept pretty much the same, We should stick around him.

The cafe expects him to be sold very quickly but does not go on about the fact of who must replace him who has that higher ceiling about him, Rose for me is not the one at all, He's a ok player who's already playing on his peak but still not considered to be world class enough and the other only remains to be alex sandro who'll cost a fortune but we have not watched him that much yet.

Luke shaw does not need a move to come back to the best, He needs patience and game time and dicipline and work ethic in his life which will come with stability and hardwork and he's vowed to respond. He did not have a preseason like other players and he'll take some time to get back to the level he needs to be.

Makes sense to activate the clause.

Almost exactly two years now since the leg break and Shaw has never fully recovered from it, probably came back a little too early imo. By the end of this season we'll have a good idea as to whether or not he'll ever be the same player again.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Makes perfect sense, just like giving Fellaini an extension.

Craig Ward

Cannot get over the drivel people are coming out with here.

Shaw is still working his way back to fitness, he is the only natural LB in our squad, he will get his chance. The +1 makes perfect sense, just as it does with Fellaini.

Whether he stays or gets sold - none of us know. I do think however that Jose wouldn't have planned to go into the season with Ashley fecking Young as 1st choice LB, so he plans to use Shaw at some point or he would have signed a replacement. He didn't, so he is happy with our options there currently, which include Shaw.

Such a witch hunt to blast Shaw here, we should be encouraging. We paid 30mil for him for his potential after all

Such a witch hunt to blast Shaw here, we should be encouraging. We paid 30mil for him for his potential after all
I think his first season here is the cause of the issues many have with him, had he been brilliant I think fans would have much more patienc. As it is, after a cracking pre-season he managed just 6 weeks of top form here before the injury, something that can easily be credited as being the exception rather than the rule.

As I mentioned earlier, it's only been two years since one of the most horrific injuries a footballer can suffer, it's not at all surprising for me that we still haven't seen Shaw return to his very best. Hell, he might never get there, but it's clear as day that the club want to give him every chance, and rightfully so.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You do forget he's still young, but at the same time, we give a shit load of time to people that don't give much back these days. I was a big advocate of Shaw, but it doesn't take multiple years to come back from an injury. He's one of those that is just around and not actually adding anything to us as a team.

Don't mind the extension though. Doesn't need encouragement from a guy on the internet. Prove yourself or be sold now.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Me too have the same opinion about this.
That's fair enough but we haven't really seen much more from him than that short spell two years ago. He's been here three years now and I don't think he'll live up to the promise that he came with.

Also I know this isn't popular opinion on here, but I do think he's a bit too heavy and it isn't helping him.