Luke Shaw interview post Wolves defeat

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It’s absolutely normal. Every time a manager fails at any club the next manager almost always has to start by getting in better players and shifting deadwood.

What is a bit abnormal is Ralf/new manager having to shift deadwood that was here when Ole took the job. Although there’s a slight excuse around loads of clubs going broke due to covid etc making it harder than usual to shift unwanted players. Still, though, it’s a bit fecking nuts that the “overhaul” under Ole was so half-arsed.
Haven't all our 'overhauls' been half arsed ?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I wish I had the ability to hand out 'likes', we need more posts like this in the main forums regularly. You clearly understand what it means to actually play football, and the difference between 'modern football' (say 2008 onwards) and everything that went before it, which to my mind was virtually a different sport.

The scary thing is, it wouldn't bother me if it were just idiots on here who didn't understand this...I see no evidence from our Board and the 'senior football people' that THEY understand this!
Think Ralf needs to get his analysts to create a dvd of all the problems, too easy to just show the good points, then sit the powers that be down and explain to them what is needed and who should be got rid of and why.

Revaulx

I agree, it’s fecking shambolic and unfortunately the blame lies at Solskjaers door for this mess.
I believe he was yet another symptom rather than the cause, but he clearly lacked the authority to change things even if he wanted to. Bear in mind his comments early on about wanting United to be the hardest working team in the PL.
We need another clear out, and I can’t for the life of me understand why he didn’t insist Pogba, Martial and Lingard were sold during the summer and the funds reinvested back into the midfield. We could have got Rice and Neves at least and be much better balanced than we currently are.
Makes me wonder how much say he really had. Though he didn’t seem to have any difficulty seeing off Fellaini, Lukaku and Smalling.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I believe he was yet another symptom rather than the cause, but he clearly lacked the authority to change things even if he wanted to. Bear in mind his comments early on about wanting United to be the hardest working team in the PL.

Makes me wonder how much say he really had. Though he didn’t seem to have any difficulty seeing off Fellaini, Lukaku and Smalling.
They all wanted to leave and there were good offers on the table for them. Look at Pogba who’s wanted to leave for years. No good offer - club isn’t going to take the hit. They’d rather keep a hold on an unhappy player for years than take the hit. Our squad turnover leaves a lot to be desired. Martial Lingard and Pogba would be gone by now from an organised club. The word for the top is keep them here and try and get them to sign new deals. Of course there’s an unhappy squad behind the scenes. We reward failure with the biggest money in the country

Nordmore

Ferguson literally sent Rooney away to America mis-season to shapen up at Shaw's age and he was finished a few years later so I genuinely can't think of a worse example to make your point.
I said "prime Rooney". What I mean is even at his best his body fat level was probably even higher than Shaw, at least nowhere near the supermodel Ronaldo. What I disagreed was that poster using the body fat level as an indicator of intensity and efforts of a player on the pitch. In fact him/her using Ronaldo is the worst example possible for intensity and effort I'd say.

Would Rooney have had a better and longer lasting career if he was in shape?

I would say yes. He was finished in his early 30's. His level of talent is very different to Luke Shaws too.

A professional footballer should never aim to be overweight. There are many benefits of not being overweight for a footballer. It's not about modelling.
You were criticizing his intensity and efforts. You said nothing about longevity.

Infra-red

The rot started while Mourinho was here - he went completely batshit and was rightly fired, but prior to that the club undoubtedly erred when they chose to refuse his request to sell underperforming prima donnas Pogba/Martial/Shaw et al. The moment that happened was the moment that the players realised that they are more important than the manager at Manchester United, thereby breaking Ferguson's cardinal rule. Many on here said this at the time, much to the chagrin of the Pogba/Martial/Shaw fanclubs. Three years of chummy mates nonsense under Solskjaer haven't helped - we've been left with a squad full of lazy, entitled twats who literally refuse to carry out the manager's instructions if it involves them having to do any work.

The frustration in Rangnick's post-match interview last night was clear, but the truth is that the players know he has no authority and will be gone in five months, just as they know they can throw the next guy under the bus if they don't fancy him either.

How I wish we'd let Conte get hold of this lot (Spurs top the running charts since he took over), but, unsurprisingly, the club didn't want anyone upsetting the delicate sensibilities of our idle, privileged little divas.

Danny

Luke Shaw's interview yesterday was telling. It seemed to me to be a none-to-subtle dig at the forwards. "We didn't start with the right intensity", "We allowed them to get control of the ball", We allowed them to be comfortable", "They probably felt they were in control of the game". "We are not all together on the pitch".

Shaw isn't the only person to point out this season the complete lack of pressing, intensity and physicality from the forwards. It's been mentioned by Rangnick in at least two of his post-game interviews, and indeed Rashford and Fernandes have both been left out recently. It has also been covered, to a certain degree, by the Sky Sports team, who have highlighted the lack of defensive effort from the forwards.

Despite this, it feels to me like the players who are consistently and constantly panned on this forum and in the press are the defensive players. Shaw himself has come in for a tonne of criticism. Maguire is blamed for every goal we concede. You can't hear AWBs name mentioned without someone adding "isn't that good on the ball". Jones has been completely ridiculed. Lindelof is criticised for his lack of physicality and aerial ability. McTominay and Fred are singled out every single game by the Sky Sports pundits, and they pull no punches with them whatsoever.

Modern football, more than ever, is a team game. Modern defenders are expected to take risks. They are asked to play much higher up the pitch then their 90s/00s counterparts. They are asked to help the team play out from the back by retaining possession and taking the ball in dangers areas, where much-vaunted defenders of bygone eras would have just hoofed it into the stands. Modern full backs are judged almost as much, if not more increasingly, on their attacking output, as opposed to their defensive output.

So my question, and I think Luke Shaw's frustration, is - "if our defenders/midfielders are held to these standards, why aren't our attacking players?".

The reason we have been terrible this season is not because AWB supposedly 'can't cross' or because 'Maguire takes too long on the ball'. We have been terrible because we are SO easy to play against. Rangnick highlighted it again yesterday. The opposition are able to walk past our front 4/5 with absolutely no effort, and constantly be at the back 5/6 under zero pressure. When we concede goals, who gets the blame? The defensive/midfield players...but this is outdated, 'old-school' thinking that needs to die. It might be a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason - you defend as a team. Every goal you concede is on the team, as it's EVERY players responsibility to defend, just like it is now every players responsibility to be involved in the attacks.

So, some people, usually the posters who have never played the game, will miss my point here, and I'll just get a load of responses like "well Maguire and Shaw have done XYZ so they have no right to complain"...so please, save me the time if you're going to write that and piss off to the 'Player Performance' threads, where you can continue to blame them for everything.

I personally don't believe you accuse the defensive players of not trying. Despite some of their limitations, can any poster, hand on heart, honestly with a straight face tell me Maguire or AWB or Shaw or Fred or McTominay don't try and don't put in the effort? I don't rate Fred. I don't especially rate McTominay. In my opinion, they will need to be replaced if we want to win trophies. However, I think yo can be critical of some of their mistakes, but I don't think you can ever say they don't care or don't try. I also think they are filling their part of the bargain, in that they are pushing higher up the pitch and they are trying to pass the ball out from the back (Shaw and Maguire are the two players who have the ball most often in our team).

So, to put this simpler, the defenders are fulfilling their half of the 'progressive football' bargain (with mixed results, granted), but the attackers are not. They are walking around the pitch, running at half-pace, throwing their arms around and moaning when things don't go their way and generally just playing within themselves when they don't have the ball. So if the attackers are not fulfilling their half of the bargain, if I was Maguire, AWB, Shaw etc....I would be tempted to say, "OK, bollocks to you then....we're just going to look after our own backs, set the defensive line halfway in our own half and hoof anything that comes near us into the stands". I 100% guarantee they would much prefer this, it's a much, much simpler way to defend. Yet they don't. They keep going every week, doing what is asked of them, and then get scapegoated on here and in the media when we inevitably concede goals due to how shockingly open we are.

In my opinion, our defenders, plus our CMs have been well and truly hung out to dry this season. Yet still, people defend Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Fernandes etc...and the abuse the defensive players get borders on slander at times. Yes, the likes of Rashford have been criticised, but have they changed anything? I haven't seen it. Still the same old, same old every week.

On top of all this, the forward players earn a ridiculous amount of money compared to the defensive players, due to our completely f**ked wage structure. Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford and Sancho alone earn £1.4m a week. Imagine being Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Fred, McTominay, giving everything they can for the club and their teammates (with mistakes at times, yes, but that's not my point) and seeing those chancers wandering around in front of them picking up their salaries whilst barely breaking a sweat. Then guess what...who gets all the abuse online and in the studio? The usual suspects!

The fact a 21 year old lad can be signed in the Summer and earn £350K, twice as much as our club captain, would say to me we as a club don't value our defensive players and the heirarchy is clear.

For me, this is the divide Luke Shaw was talking about. The defensive half of the team has it's faults, but they are trying to do their best for the team and for their teammates.

The attacking players are not fulfilling their half of the bargain. They are lazy, static and disinterested in defending, and are hanging out their teammates to dry in the process. It's NOT about individual quality and being 'better footballers', it's about attitude and who is working hard for their teammates.
Good post this.

MUFC OK

I think the worst thing he said was that there were no options when we're trying to pass the ball. Sounds like the players have no idea where to position themselves. Something we've been dealing with a long time. I thought this new guy would help to fix that, but clearly not.
Thats on the midfield. Mctominay marks himself out of games better than anyone I've ever seen and we are forced to punt it up field. Still the same problems of not being able to link defence and attack, attack dropping deep to do midfielders job etc.

I actually thought we looked better in moments where Bruno dropped to 6 and McT was more advanced (box to box), at least Bruno actively wants to receive the ball. I'd look at that if I were Ralf because options to change that area of the field are limited.

Matic, McT, Fred in the 6 will continually fail us, no matter the combination.

Infra-red

At least DDG could come across as focused. Look at AWB. Why are they sulking like this?
The manager asked them to run a bit and they were dreading having to do it. I don't know what they were so worried about - none of them did any running at all.

KingCavani

By a lot of accounts Ole wasn't very assertive and struggled to directly talk to the players. There were stories that he wasn't telling players they needed surgery but instead had someone do it for him. I think he was too much of a nice guy to demand players leave and didn't want to rock the boat, especially given that was essentially the beginning of the end for his predecessor.

I think Ole's initial clear-out was directed at Jose's favourites and I think most of them wanted out anyways.

Revaulx

They all wanted to leave and there were good offers on the table for them. Look at Pogba who’s wanted to leave for years. No good offer - club isn’t going to take the hit. They’d rather keep a hold on an unhappy player for years than take the hit. Our squad turnover leaves a lot to be desired. Martial Lingard and Pogba would be gone by now from an organised club. The word for the top is keep them here and try and get them to sign new deals. Of course there’s an unhappy squad behind the scenes. We reward failure with the biggest money in the country
Indeed. I’m not sure Lingard wanted to leave, but maybe he would have if the club had made it clear that he had no future here.

Regarding squad turnover, I t’s not just established players either. I’m sure Sir Alex wouldn’t have hung onto Axel for so long, and the latter would be enjoying a decent career as first choice at a decent but “lesser” club here or abroad.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
At least DDG could come across as focused. Look at AWB. Why are they sulking like this?
Because they are a bunch of mentally weak, pampered prissy little wallflowers, who all need a good rocket up the arse. Letting a severely pissed off supporter into carrington to let them know what we all think of their petty high school bullshit and substandard efforts would do the world of good. they need a dose of reality.

DomesticTadpole

These players are seriously protected. The fact that MUTV do not have phone ins any longer. God help us if someone actually comes on air to criticise a player. Poor things.

Oranges038

There were reports that he ordered the players to wear suits to matches and they did for a bit. But they just went back to wearing the tracksuits after a while.

If that basic bit of discipline he tried to reinstall falls away, then it's clear he commanded very little authority and respect.

Revaulx

By a lot of accounts Ole wasn't very assertive and struggled to directly talk to the players. There were stories that he wasn't telling players they needed surgery but instead had someone do it for him. I think he was too much of a nice guy to demand players leave and didn't want to rock the boat, especially given that was essentially the beginning of the end for his predecessor.

I think Ole's initial clear-out was directed at Jose's favourites and I think most of them wanted out anyways.
Yeah. Not being an arse seemed to become an end in itself for the club, rather than just an antidote to Jose’s arsiness, which he seemed to employ as a means of self-preservation rather than for the good of the team.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
There were reports that he ordered the players to wear suits to matches and they did for a bit. But they just went back to wearing the tracksuits after a while.

If that basic bit of discipline he tried to reinstall falls away, then it's clear he commanded very little authority and respect.
Thats the sort of thing that should be nipped in the bud at the first occurrence, turn up in a tracksuit after being told not to? feck off home. Same again next week? feck off home. 3rd week? A fine.

mctrials23

I think its very easy to look at a still image and make too much of it but that doesn't look like a bunch of players who are excited to be out there or who are bringing any energy to the field.

Raw

These players are seriously protected. The fact that MUTV do not have phone ins any longer. God help us if someone actually comes on air to criticise a player. Poor things.
The reports a while back about the players being unhappy about training sessions lasting until 5pm just sums up the state of the players at this club. Piss poor mentality and clearly don't give a shit.

mctrials23

Thats the sort of thing that should be nipped in the bud at the first occurrence, turn up in a tracksuit after being told not to? feck off home. Same again next week? feck off home. 3rd week? A fine.
Even thats too lenient. Its a suit for christs sake. First time they do it, send them home to change. Second time they do it they are dropped and will have to earn their way back into the team. If they have so little respect for the club and manager that is paying them more in a week than 99% of us earn in a year then then can be sold for all I care. Its not a big ask.

Tuchel has shown how players should be treated with Lukaku. None of this BS that Neville is spouting about players being honest. Professionalism comes before honesty and I'm sure there are a million things we would all like to say about various aspects of our lives to various people but we don't because there are consequences and its unprofessional and rude.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Even thats too lenient. Its a suit for christs sake. First time they do it, send them home to change. Second time they do it they are dropped and will have to earn their way back into the team. If they have so little respect for the club and manager that is paying them more in a week than 99% of us earn in a year then then can be sold for all I care. Its not a big ask.
No arguments from me. They all need an absolute dressing down, a swift toe capped size 11 up the arse, shape up or ship out. Pampered little princesses, the lot of them.

DomesticTadpole

The reports a while back about the players being unhappy about training sessions lasting until 5pm just sums up the state of the players at this club. Piss poor mentality and clearly don't give a shit.
Sure it is getting in the way of their social life and posting on social media and their commercial work.

DomesticTadpole

They always used to wear suits. It gave them some gravitas. There was a discipline about the club.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
They always used to wear suits. It gave them some gravitas. There was a discipline about the club.
Two things that are missing most, discipline and standards. Too many overgrown man children who think their opinion matters a shit. Do what you are told, or leave. end of.

Oranges038

Fine on day one that doubles for every recurrence.

GazTheLegend

Prefer Shaw's interview to a social media post filled with emoji's telling us we will go again blah blah.

Shaw says that some players on that pitch aren't motivated, aggressive and giving 100%. He is right. So how do you even begin to fix that.

Oldyella

This. The three players mentioned above all wanted to leave. That's hardly a clear out.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I agree with a lot of this. The problem is that the average football fan has a very limited understanding of the game and in their mind Ole-ball makes sense. "Football is a simple game". No it's not. It hasn't been in a long time. It worried me how pleased so many of our fans were for 90% of Oles time at the club.
This is very true even for fans who have spent years watching in person for decades. It's also true of many players. There's a telling moment in the Manchester City Amazon Prime doc where they are losing at half time to us. Some thick English player (Delph I think) is all shouty with 'It's a simple game' and 'we just have to tackle harder' and all the crap you hear on the Caf when we lose. Guardiola just turns to him and quietly says 'No it's not a simple game. It's really complicated.' And then gets out the whiteboard.

Fluctuation0161

It’s absolutely normal. Every time a manager fails at any club the next manager almost always has to start by getting in better players and shifting deadwood.

What is a bit abnormal is Ralf/new manager having to shift deadwood that was here when Ole took the job. Although there’s a slight excuse around loads of clubs going broke due to covid etc making it harder than usual to shift unwanted players. Still, though, it’s a bit fecking nuts that the “overhaul” under Ole was so half-arsed.
True.

To be fair to Ole, he did clear alot of the deadwood from previous regimes.

Problem is he also acquired some future deadwood. :lol:

GazTheLegend

This is very true even for fans who have spent years watching in person for decades. It's also true of many players. There's a telling moment in the Manchester City Amazon Prime doc where they are losing at half time to us. Some thick English player (Delph I think) is all shouty with 'It's a simple game' and 'we just have to tackle harder' and all the crap you hear on the Caf when we lose. Guardiola just turns to him and quietly says 'No it's not a simple game. It's really complicated.' And then gets out the whiteboard.
Tellingly though, Guardiola lets him speak quite a lot. He wouldn't LET him speak if it was damaging or whatever, so there's something in it. And Guardiola has said himself that football is always the same no matter what league you are in - that vision he has for football (the Barcelona one) WORKS because it is simple. It's based around getting the ball and keeping it. Two things we can't do, despite the money we have spent, which is shambolic really.