Luke Shaw interview post Wolves defeat

GMoore23

These players are seriously protected. The fact that MUTV do not have phone ins any longer. God help us if someone actually comes on air to criticise a player. Poor things.
Didn't know this. That's literally how bad we've become. We're so shit that nobody had anything positive to say anymore.

Jacko21

Watch the faces, already lost before the game

Yeah, was pretty startled when I saw this last night. Sure, it's just a picture and if it'd been captured a couple of seconds later or a couple of seconds earlier, it might've told a different story. But it perfectly encapsulates our current malaise.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Shaw looks like he’s been told to go stand in the corner as punishment. And boy, do we absolutely hate corners.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Think apart from midfield the first area RR will look at is the forwards. His teams play a pressing game but he has inherited two elderly forwards, one who does move around and will put the work in, but whose game time needs managing. The other just want someone to provide chances for him to put it in the net but will put effort in now an again.
Nail on the head.

How many chances did Ronaldo miss against Burnley.
Cavani made poor decisions. For example he should have laid the pass on for Greenwood.

My choice for strikers would be Greenwood and Elanga. Ronaldo and Cavani being used as impact subs.
But neither would like that.

Ralf inherited a hodge podge of a squad.
It needs trimming and discarding. Players being promoted from the Youth team and one or two additions.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Didn’t Rangnick say before he took the job that he thought United needed a new left back because shaw wasn’t good enough?

I’d imagine he’s seen that clip by now.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Tellingly though, Guardiola lets him speak quite a lot. He wouldn't LET him speak if it was damaging or whatever, so there's something in it. And Guardiola has said himself that football is always the same no matter what league you are in - that vision he has for football (the Barcelona one) WORKS because it is simple. It's based around getting the ball and keeping it. Two things we can't do, despite the money we have spent, which is shambolic really.
I think you might be making Delph's point here rather than Pep's?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Didn’t Rangnick say before he took the job that he thought United needed a new left back because shaw wasn’t good enough?

In an interview with Football Daily in 2020, he said: “They could do with a left-back, I know they have Luke Shaw but I’m not so sure if he’s still on the same kind of level you need for a club like Manchester United.”

This was before United signed Telles, and before Shaw hit form in 2020/21, a peak from which he has since sharply regressed.

MUFC OK

Jose was right about him. All the ability in the world but he's lazy and lacks application.

In an interview with Football Daily in 2020, he said: “They could do with a left-back, I know they have Luke Shaw but I’m not so sure if he’s still on the same kind of level you need for a club like Manchester United.”

This was before United signed Telles, and before Shaw hit form in 2020/21, a peak from which he has since sharply regressed.
He's almost back to square one now. Still not of the standard required. Samedo's performance last night put both Shaw and AWB to shame.

mctrials23

This is very true even for fans who have spent years watching in person for decades. It's also true of many players. There's a telling moment in the Manchester City Amazon Prime doc where they are losing at half time to us. Some thick English player (Delph I think) is all shouty with 'It's a simple game' and 'we just have to tackle harder' and all the crap you hear on the Caf when we lose. Guardiola just turns to him and quietly says 'No it's not a simple game. It's really complicated.' And then gets out the whiteboard.
Its why the phrase "practice makes perfect" has been replaced with "practice makes permanent".

The top people in any field are not those that practice the most, they are the ones who use their time wise and practice a lot. Its why Ole was never going to be a success here. He wasn't showing any signs of having the attributes that the top managers possess in spades. Klopp was given time even when results weren't amazing because the improvement and signs were quite obvious that he was moving towards something.

The top teams aren't just working harder than us, they are working smarter than us as well.

The idea that going to watch United in person week in week out again, doesn't make you any more of an expert than anyone else who watches all the games. It does seem to give people the impression that it gives them a level of understanding that others don't have though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Jose was right about him. All the ability in the world but he's lazy and lacks application.

He's almost back to square one now. Still not of the standard required. Samedo's performance last night put both Shaw and AWB to shame.
Seeing as Shaw is the one and only outfield player in our current squad to sustain a top level of performance over the vast majority of games throughout a whole season he’s the last player we should be worrying about after a crappy first half of this season.

Pughnichi

Yeah, was pretty startled when I saw this last night. Sure, it's just a picture and if it'd been captured a couple of seconds later or a couple of seconds earlier, it might've told a different story. But it perfectly encapsulates our current malaise.
phil Jones entering the field on his invisible jet pack like a boss

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The players are a tragic bunch. Many are paid more in a week than the average person earns in several years.

I don't blame them for that, but my god, make some bloody effort you bunch of soft gits.

It's embarrassing.
You clearly do blame them for that otherwise you wouldn’t have brought it up.

Gandalf

You could certainly say that but it is rather concerning that even if we need an upgrade over Shaw it is still something like 8th or 9th in terms of priority as the RB position is significantly worse, not sure any of our central defenders is good enough, we don't have anybody fit for purpose in the midfield and our two senior forwards are geriatrics in athletic terms. Wide attackers, left back and GK are probably the least urgent areas to address.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
If we are serious about the title next season, we need to strengthen the spine after getting rid of the deadwood.
Haaland if we can get him or another out and out striker. Cavani will be gone. Ronaldo, the revenue generating singing will be here. That is a problem Ralf and the new manager will have to manage.
A DM and bring back Graner.
A quick CB and get rid of Maguire.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Far too many of them believe their own hype.

Reality - we’ve been carried by Bruno since he signed. His unrreal form made us look a lot better than we are. He loses form and the rest of the squad are exposed.
He’s been shite since January and we were shite from sept to December last year. Ridiculous take.

MUFC OK

You could certainly say that but it is rather concerning that even if we need an upgrade over Shaw it is still something like 8th or 9th in terms of priority as the RB position is significantly worse, not sure any of our central defenders is good enough, we don't have anybody fit for purpose in the midfield and our two senior forwards are geriatrics in athletic terms. Wide attackers, left back and GK are probably the least urgent areas to address.
At RB I'd give Ethan Laird a shot. Seems every inch the modern fullback yet we've loaned him again.

Varane had arguably his best game last night, isolated time and again but as he's shown throughout his career, he's comfortable in those positions. He is good enough.

Holding midfield is the weakest area of the team, we cant wait for an upgrade there - should be a priority this window.

A lot of players, Shaw included have been entrusted and given huge contracts to be our mainstays in their respective positions but havent delivered well enough or consistently enough.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Not too surprising to hear. Obviously Shaw has beef with Maguire. Bruno was an Ole man. Ronaldo won’t like being part of this. Then everything else in between. A mess.

glazed

Fans seem to be keen to blame everybody but the actual and obvious culprits - the owners who have run the club so badly for so long with short term profit the only objective. It's only now that their business model is set to be shredded by four clubs being consistently better than us that they've started bringing in a sliver of professional thinking, and it's then becoming obvious to even the most purblind apologist that there is a massive amount of work to do.

GazTheLegend

I think you might be making Delph's point here rather than Pep's?
Maybe I remember incorrectly as it's been a while but Pep seemed to -encourage- Delph to give these talks. Am I misremembering or was it more nuanced than that?

MUFC OK

He’s been shite since January and we were shite from sept to December last year. Ridiculous take.
Shite by his standards only. Still the only one who looks like making anything happen.

We have a huge cultural problem at this club where we slate the best players in our team when in reality its the weakest links that are letting us down: Poor attacking fullbacks and lack of overlaps, completely inept holding midfield.

We then are without our best players: Bruno, Pogba etc. and we get performances like the first half last night.

glazed

Maybe I remember incorrectly as it's been a while but Pep seemed to -encourage- Delph to give these talks. Am I misremembering or was it more nuanced than that?
As I recall it in that scene Delph was running his mouth off and Pep shut him down. But that might be how it was edited rather than how it was.

Mercurial

Jones looks on fire. Literally a shoulder and a head and maybe half a torso taller than the rest. Loved how he got 'feeling' and dribbled all the way to their box before realising he's the CB and handed it over. Wish more had his attitude.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Look at Shaw there. Looks like a guy who’s been part of a row “back stage” Confidence on the floor. I think the players have started blaming each other and it’s not sparked a reaction it’s just put us in free fall. Greenwood also has a pained expression.

micmac

Honestly I'm pretty sure most of the leaks for the past few years come from Shaw least now he's being public with it
Agree with this. I also felt Carrick used to leak a lot to the media as well when he was a player.

glazed

Look at Shaw there. Looks like a guy who’s been part of a row “back stage” Confidence on the floor. I think the players have started blaming each other and it’s not sparked a reaction it’s just put us in free fall. Greenwood also has a pained expression.
Long story short some of the player are kicking off about high press because it doesn't suit their playing style. Shaw won't be one of them. If I had to guess I'd say the ring leaders would be:

Ronaldo, DdG, Bruno, Rashford, AVB, Cavani, Greenwood, Maguire, Pogba is he even cares

VanDeBank

Ma’am

That was a couple of years ago when Shaw was playing like crap.

Green Yellow Red

The players are the main problem at this club. Must we continue to go through another 3 or 4 managers before we realize it? To some players Utd just a cash cow. The club needs tearing down and starting again.. a whole rebuild. More than half of these players MUST be gutted from the club starting in January and the board need cleared as well. Nothing will change unless these two things happen.

Zlatattack

If only more players were like Jones and played once every two years.. No wonder he's pumped up and the rest aren't ffs.
Yeah, hundreds of thousands of pounds a week would depress me too. Can you imagine the strain on their tiny little minds having to do the maths?

Denis79

This is blown up to something it isn't. He felt some should have given more on the pitch, that's about it.

crossy1686

career ending
This is blown up to something it isn't. He felt some should have given more on the pitch, that's about it.
It’s a sound bite for people to read too much in to as always with football. I thought Shaw was pretty spot on when he spoke live, but despite all that, he’s only confirmed a lot of stuff we’ve all suspected since the end of last season, which is licence to go wild

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If we are serious about the title next season, we need to strengthen the spine after getting rid of the deadwood.
Haaland if we can get him or another out and out striker. Cavani will be gone. Ronaldo, the revenue generating singing will be here. That is a problem Ralf and the new manager will have to manage.
A DM and bring back Graner.
A quick CB and get rid of Maguire.
Does Haaland do more than Ronaldo in terms of workrate and buildup?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If we don’t get CL the even 5% chance we had of getting Haaland is gone. All sounding like it’s Madrid or City on that front. Hopefully we’ve got a plan B. This team has been crying out for a baller in the midfield and younger focal point to build around up front. Same as the right wing. It’s been going on for years. We finally got around the wing and he’s better on the left… not even surprised anymore. Feels like our recruitment dept/owners are easily the most wasteful in the world.