Luke Shaw interview post Wolves defeat

Rocknrolla69er

I'd suggest if we replaced AwB, Matic and Mctominay, you'd see a huge transformation of this team.

Put in a right back who has positional sense, actually makes a proper effort tracking back, and has quality on the ball as on can pass and make runs (cringed when bruno pointed out he should be over lapping him)

And 2 central midfielders who between them are mobile moving up with the transitions, and not cuddling our cb's and can actually take up effective passing options in good areas, as well as being able to pass to our attackers in dangerous areas.

I honestly think we d see a huge huge difference and the frustrations of the rest would start evaporating.

Interesting comment on Laird I mentioned him to my lad, what's his loan at Swansea been like? Surely got to be better than AwB.

Also are any of the youth ready, Garner, Hannibal?

So a RB and 2 central mids. Who do we bring in?

Infra-red

Does Haaland do more than Ronaldo in terms of workrate and buildup?
Yes, it's not even a question.
From what I have seen, Haaland does a lot more in terms of work rate, but not really in terms build up. This is reflected in the statistics (in a comparison between Ronaldo, Haaland, Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani and Vlahovic, for example, Ronaldo is dead last for pressures, successful pressures, pressures success %, tackles etc, but a fair bit ahead of Haaland in touches (including touches in midfield) carries and completed passes.

It doesn't mean much - Haaland is about as likely to be in the starting XI for United next season as I am.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
From what I have seen, Haaland does a lot more in terms of work rate, but not really in terms build up. This is reflected in the statistics (in a comparison between Ronaldo, Haaland, Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani and Vlahovic, for example, Ronaldo is dead last for pressures, successful pressures, pressures success %, tackles etc, but a fair bit ahead of Haaland in touches (including touches in midfield) carries and completed passes.

It doesn't mean much - Haaland is about as likely to be in the starting XI for United next season as I am.
Thank you. It looks like Haaland has more speed and better finishing than the current Ronaldo also. I was asking because some dislike Ronaldo for his perceived low work rate and not much in build up but then still fond of Haaland.

I'd suggest if we replaced AwB, Matic and Mctominay, you'd see a huge transformation of this team.

Put in a right back who has positional sense, actually makes a proper effort tracking back, and has quality on the ball as on can pass and make runs (cringed when bruno pointed out he should be over lapping him)

And 2 central midfielders who between them are mobile moving up with the transitions, and not cuddling our cb's and can actually take up effective passing options in good areas, as well as being able to pass to our attackers in dangerous areas.

I honestly think we d see a huge huge difference and the frustrations of the rest would start evaporating.

Interesting comment on Laird I mentioned him to my lad, what's his loan at Swansea been like? Surely got to be better than AwB.

Fully agree with those you have identified should be replaced asap.

I think though that the biggest issue we face in doing that is the board, they simply waste money like there’s no tomorrow. Unfortunately rather than invest their own money to fix their mistakes, our next transfer budget just becomes smaller. They don’t have the expertise to put a structure in place to identify/develop cheaper players.

Therefor, it will take multiple transfer windows and lots of money to buy those 3 players we need. By that time, 3 more positions will need replacing. It’s a never ending cycle. The Glazers just don’t have the expertise or stomach to pay what it takes to compete.

Reactions: oates

Rocknrolla69er

Fully agree with those you have identified should be replaced asap.

I think though that the biggest issue we face in doing that is the board, they simply waste money like there’s no tomorrow. Unfortunately rather than invest their own money to fix their mistakes, our next transfer budget just becomes smaller. They don’t have the expertise to put a structure in place to identify/develop cheaper players.

Therefor, it will take multiple transfer windows and lots of money to buy those 3 players we need. By that time, 3 more positions will need replacing. It’s a never ending cycle. The Glazers just don’t have the expertise or stomach to pay what it takes to compete.
Just read Lairds thread, seems we have a RB who's alot more competent on the ball and in attack than Awb, hopefully we're seeing how he handles a promotion battle in the championship before promotion to the first team squad next year.

As for two central midfielders, Ralf can spot a player, so we l have to trust on him to solve this one. How's Haidara at Red Bull? Wouldn't be surprised to see us sanction a midfield signing.

Just a shame big wages have scupperd incoming fees for Lingaard, Martial and Pogba or we d of had a fair bit to reinvest.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So Shaw doesn't want new ideas and stick to the same old
Listen to the interview, it didn't sound like a dig to me, it just sounded like he feels a bit directionless and hopes the manager has some ideas.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Not that you're wrong but we always seem to be three players away from a great team. Like we're always thirty years away from controlled nuclear fusion.

Matic is obviously too old but who knows what a decent coach could do with the other two?

Ixion

I feel like if I woke up tomorrow to news that United had let go Ronaldo, AWB, Maguire, Shaw and McTominay but had brought in a world class DM I would not expect our performances/results to get worse. Lindelof in place of Maguire, Dalot for AWB, a world class replacement for McTominay, Shaw I just don't think has the right attitude, and Ronaldo going would mean Greenwood or Cavani up top more. Those swaps and I imagine we'd see a difference, then add a further central midfielder and wing back down the line.

parkthebuslads

Was anyone as shocked as I at how much he struggled stringing a basic sentence together? It was just very disheartening.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah, hundreds of thousands of pounds a week would depress me too. Can you imagine the strain on their tiny little minds having to do the maths?
Yes. Clearly the difference between Jones and the other players is that Jones gets paid and the others don't.

sugar_kane

I suspect Shaw is one of the ones who misses Ole, he played his best football for him and clearly had his back unlike Mou and LVG.

One of the players who benefits from the arm round the shoulder approach I think.

Hughie77

Great. Interview I think he speaks the truth and let's hope it puts a fire up there ass. Something tells me no because there's to many prima Donna's in the dressing room. And he was right about phill Jones

RUCK4444

I suspect Shaw is one of the ones who misses Ole, he played his best football for him and clearly had his back unlike Mou and LVG.

One of the players who benefits from the arm round the shoulder approach I think.
Yeah Shaw and same for Bruno, they seem the most effected since Ole got sacked, both seem utterly miserable.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I re watched the interview.
He is on the same page as the manager. He talks about intensity and aggression.
Ralf always talks about physicality and control.
I think a number of our players are struggling with what is required of them.

Lets see what the reaction is on Sunday.

HailtotheKing

Dunno what some of you are talking about. Think Luke speaks well here and I appreciate his honesty. Clearly we have some major problems. Rather than throw Ralf under the bus though he seems to be putting it on the players and just seems a bit helpless and short of ideas as to how to fix things so is hoping Ralf will do it. 99% of this is about the players only at the end does he talk about Ralf.

Red Dreams

Dunno what some of you are talking about. Think Luke speaks well here and I appreciate his honesty. Clearly we have some major problems. Rather than throw Ralf under the bus though he seems to be putting it on the players and just seems a bit helpless and short of ideas as to how to fix things so is hoping Ralf will do it. 99% of this is about the players only at the end does he talk about Ralf.
I can see his impatience with the players.

Why are they not getting it?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The bottom line is that Ralfies big big thing is pressing from the front. And there was no pressing from the front. That says way more than anything Shaw might have said. It says there is a major problem.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Listen to the interview, it didn't sound like a dig to me, it just sounded like he feels a bit directionless and hopes the manager has some ideas.
Shaw is a good dude and quality player. He will come back around.

Red Dreams

Ole lost the job for their ineptitude
Ole lost his job because he kept making excuses for his non performing players.
In any sport, you have to bust your gut in training.
Now we have players who are unable to keep up with what is required by Ralf and are letting the rest of the team down.

If you have some players doing what is needed and others not up to speed, you are going to have a team that performs like they did last night.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Yup.

The cliques have been obvious since Mourinho. He wanted a purge for a reason, even if he was as responsible for it as anyone. Lukaku and Sanchez both indicated to Italian media that the United squad was split even under Ole. It was obvious Lukaku and Pogba were split after being extremely close when they signed.

Let Ralf evaluate the players and who buys into the process. Anyone pushing in the wrong direction needs the door. We've backed the players for too long and the club needs to rip this rotten squad apart.
I think you should had supported Mourinho more in that regard, not that he didn't deserve to be sacked but when something similar happened in Real Madrid the team did the right thing getting rid of Mourinho and the players.

Now United needs to fix the dressing room and being less lenient with players.

Scholsey2004

Doent Luke Shaw get wheeled out every time we get beat? Maybe they specifically choose him because he always sounds so fed up.

Strootman's Finger

I personally didn't interpret it as a dig at Rangnick, if anything, it was a dig at certain members of the squad, and almost as if he was saying that weren't playing with the intensity required for Rangnick style. Could go other way, but personally I almost feel like he is aligning himself with Rangnick and telling others to get on board.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Does Haaland do more than Ronaldo in terms of workrate and buildup?
The normalised xG metrics I was looking at earlier suggested not in terms of buildup, and that Haaland has dropped off a lot this season so far. He had a near identical involvement to Ronaldo in moves that don’t end him in shooting or playing a key pass since joining Dortmund, but has barely been involved in such moves this season.

Said it elsewhere today, but Haaland and Lewandowski wouldn’t thrive for us either. We couldn’t get the ball to them enough.

clarkydaz

I personally didn't interpret it as a dig at Rangnick, if anything, it was a dig at certain members of the squad, and almost as if he was saying that weren't playing with the intensity required for Rangnick style. Could go other way, but personally I almost feel like he is aligning himself with Rangnick and telling others to get on board.
agree with this, he is saying the same things the manager has been

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah Shaw and same for Bruno, they seem the most effected since Ole got sacked, both seem utterly miserable.
Pretty sure it's the case for a sizeable chunk of the squad, not just these two. By all reliable accounts the players loved Ole and it's not easy to perform at your best knowing you let someone down whom you massively respected. When Jose left you could see the players become so expressive on the pitch but since the Villarreal game, despite the few good results, most of the players just seem to be going through the motions.

RUCK4444

Pretty sure it's the case for a sizeable chunk of the squad, not just these two. By all reliable accounts the players loved Ole and it's not easy to perform at your best knowing you let someone down whom you massively respected. When Jose left you could see the players become so expressive on the pitch but since the Villarreal game, despite the few good results, most of the players just seem to be going through the motions.
Yeah I posted earlier in this thread that I think it was perhaps the moment that helped cause this divide in the dressing room.

It might not be the sole reason but it definitely has had an effect. I’ve never seen the team so completely miserable.

Red Dreams

These are supposedly professional footballers on huge salaries.
They are so attached to a manager who was taking the team to a downward spiral?

From that Shaw interview his unhappiness clearly stems from other players not being able to play to the manager's plan.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
These are supposedly professional footballers on huge salaries.
They are so attached to a manager who was taking the team to a downward spiral?

From that Shaw interview his unhappiness clearly stems from other players not being able to play to the manager's plan.
They are still humans irrespective of the profession. And this happens in all walks of life, people change jobs or their supervisor changes and they struggle to perform to their best because they don't have that kind of relationship with their boss they require. It's not true for everyone of course, and I'm not saying it's the sole reason the players look so miserable but it's definitely had an effect.

It's not just Utd players either. Just look at Lukaku, it's a common occurrence.