Luke Shaw interview post Wolves defeat

Rolledo

Jose was right about a lot of things of this football club and I was adamant that he should have been fully backed. Instead the club threw him scraps, told him to "deal with it" and when things went to shit - he got blamed for it. He wasn't perfect, but he was right about virtually everything.
I’d say being «right about virtually everything» makes you pretty close to perfect, no? Also he wasn’t. And isn’t. And the club threw him Zlatan, Pogba, Lukaku, Alexis etc. Hardly scraps.We’re in a f-ing rut and Jose is as much to blame as the useless board and the rest of our managers. He was shockingly bad for us.

Devil may care

Nothing wrong with the interview, he came across as dejected as many of us feel, like he genuinely cares, and he was honest without being brutal about anyone specifically.

AFC NimbleThumb

He wasn’t woeful tonight.
We agree. ‘woeful long before tonight’.
He was good.
We disagree.
As he has been in every game under Rangnick. Something we can say about very few players. And that was the context of the interview. It would have been fecking ridiculous of him to come out and say “First of all, I need to talk about how I played under the former manager…”
How from that post do you get that I want him to start his interview with “First of all, I need to talk about how I played under the former manager…”, it’s a strange leap.

My point is [as you clearly don’t get it]. . .
It’s all well speaking up when the team play badly, he’s been terrible at points this season in games but never popped his head above the parapet. It’s easy to say, ‘we lack intensity’ after tonight but he’s lacked it all season, he needs to up his game foremost.
Shaw is correct the team lacked a lot tonight but he’s lacked most things all season, I just find it a little distasteful when players dig out the ‘team’ because they were least ‘shit’ but then stay quiet after their worst performances.

Shaw is the wrong man saying the right thing, unfortunately that goes for most of this squad. I’m just tired of hearing the same old thing every few weeks from that games least ‘shit’ performer.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Who in our team are actually good mates off it these days?
Pogba-Lingard-Rashford-Sancho?
From the outside they don't look like a together group.

Hammondo

I’d say being «right about virtually everything» makes you pretty close to perfect, no? Also he wasn’t. And isn’t. And the club threw him Zlatan, Pogba, Lukaku, Alexis etc. Hardly scraps.We’re in a f-ing rut and Jose is as much to blame as the useless board and the rest of our managers. He was shockingly bad for us.
Kinda are in a way, not exactly players to compete for a title.

Baneofthegame

Shaw - "I agree we we've been bad, we need to work to put it right"

Idiots on the caf - "HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT, ONLY WE CAN SAY THAT."
Basically sums up this thread, along with the random Mourinho lovers popping up going :

“SEE HE WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG AND WE DIDNT BACK HIM”

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We agree. ‘woeful long before tonight’.

We disagree.

How from that post do you get that I want him to start his interview with “First of all, I need to talk about how I played under the former manager…”, it’s a strange leap.

My point is [as you clearly don’t get it]. . .

Shaw is correct the team lacked a lot tonight but he’s lacked most things all season, I just find it a little distasteful when players dig out the ‘team’ because they were least ‘shit’ but then stay quiet after their worst performances.

Shaw is the wrong man saying the right thing, unfortunately that goes for most of this squad. I’m just tired of hearing the same old thing every few weeks from that games least ‘shit’ performer.
It was an interview about the game tonight, and he gave an insightful and honest account of it. Our lack of options for the player in possession has been a huge issue for a long time now. We are so static off the ball it's shocking.

crossy1686

career ending
Shaw’s comments pretty much shed light on what we already know from the end of last season.

There’s a bad culture at United, we’ve got a bunch of over paid, under performing players, a few that like a moan, a few that don’t want to be here, a few that think they’re above running themselves into the ground for a team mate.

We need a clear out, not everyone but the toxic ones, the ones that are running their contracts down and the ones that don’t want to be here. It doesn’t have to cost a fortune, just get the right characters in and stop with this over pampering and over promoting of players who have one good season.

MrSingh2002

Fatshaming? Nice.
How can a professional athlete paid 150k per week.... with access to nutritionists, personal trainers and chefs be fat if they're professional?

Luke Shaw is not professional enough to play here. His stomach tells you that much.

MrSingh2002

Jose was right about a lot of things of this football club and I was adamant that he should have been fully backed. Instead the club threw him scraps, told him to "deal with it" and when things went to shit - he got blamed for it. He wasn't perfect, but he was right about virtually everything.
Jose was the one. When he knew the club weren't going to back him he gave up.

crossy1686

career ending
Is RR strong enough to drop the person/people creating this disharmony then? Look at what Tuchel did with Lukaku.
He’s already dropped Martial and he’s already said he’s not going to convince players who don’t want to be here to stay. Sounds like he knows what he’s doing, his CV suggests so also.

Gandalf

How can a professional athlete paid 150k per week.... with access to nutritionists, personal trainers and chefs be fat if they're professional?

Luke Shaw is not professional enough to play here. His stomach tells you that much.
The dude has a heavy build but frankly it is idiocy to say he is unfit, he is actually pretty ripped just not skinny the way you like your boys.

Withnail

Will we never be free of Jose?

EDIT:. Feck all wrong with the interview to be honest. Hopefully they can get it sorted.

alexthelion

I don't think it was - I watched it live. He said we arent playing like we are together and working hard enough. He said we have so much quality but we dont put in enough effort. He said because it's a long week now before the next game maybe the manager can continue with some ideas.

Sky then tried to run a narrative of him blaming the manager, and some saps are falling for it.
This.

There was nothing that Luke Shaw said that we either didn't already know or couldn't see with our own eyes. Nothing wrong with him saying it, at all.

Posters are always moaning about a slow build up from defence, but where's the movement ahead for them to pass to? Lack of midfield quality (Ole did want at least one midfielder, instead got Ronaldo) is evident as is a total lack of work by the forwards (Cavani aside).

This squad seems to have become divided since Ronaldo came, hope he's not the cause.

Walters_19_MuFc

What did you find cryptic in what he said?
The quote of the thread title. If he won't name names, which I get he shouldn't, then don't mention it. Not only does it look bad on them, but bad on the new manager, too, who's job was to sort the problems we saw reoccurring under Ole. As it is, we're seeing the same performances and same interviews after the game, yet none of them are able to give us 5 decent performances in a row - Shaw included!

AFC NimbleThumb

It was an interview about the game tonight, and he gave an insightful and honest account of it. Our lack of options for the player in possession has been a huge issue for a long time now. We are so static off the ball it's shocking.
I look forward to hearing from Shaw after his next bad game.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The quote of the thread title. If he won't name names, which I get he shouldn't, then don't mention it. Not only does it look bad on them, but bad on the new manager, too, who's job was to sort the problems we saw reoccurring under Ole. As it is, we're seeing the same performances and same interviews after the game, yet none of them are able to give us 5 decent performances in a row - Shaw included!

Ah I think he was right to call the game as he saw it. He didn't do the usual platitudes. He highlighted a few very specific problems.

wolvored

Shaw implies the front end did not provide enough options of passing the balls and intensity of pressing the opponents. Also interestingly, he thinks someone is not giving 100% .

If you really watched the game, I think he means Ronaldo. Could not hold the ball well , did not press well , did not fight for the 2nd ball or sprint for the 1st ball.

Honestly, Ronaldo should be the 1st one to sub off in this match. Greenwood actually was the best performer among the front 4 and no idea why he was subbed off first.
No it was strange. Even stranger was RR saying he couldnt sub a no 6 so had to sub our best attacker, and didnt explain why he changed his mind keeping Cavani on. Maybe because he is a senior player. Very weird decision..

Walters_19_MuFc

Now you’re being cryptic. He was being asked about tonight’s game. Not the whole season. Not the 1999 CL final.
It was a post match interview.
No need to be silly. Of course I know that. However, the fact that he said ''we are not all together'' as opposed to we were not, suggests this is something long term, which we all know it has been, otherwise Ole would still be the manager.

Therefore, my question is, who is it in the dressing room that is causing unrest?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He’s already dropped Martial and he’s already said he’s not going to convince players who don’t want to be here to stay. Sounds like he knows what he’s doing, his CV suggests so also.
Come on, Martial has played so little even before Ralf that he might not even be here anymore. Much easier dropping him than Ronaldo. Also much easier taking Greenwood off than Ronaldo or Cavani.
Ralf is new and things need to change. So he might as well do it right regardless of big names.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
You got to wonder why @Livewire1974, presumably a United fan, starts a thread that gets half the forum to react negatively to something that didn't happen.

Then I guess you also have to wonder why half the forum gets outraged at something they didn't watch or read.
Muppet

MrSingh2002

The dude has a heavy build but frankly it is idiocy to say he is unfit, he is actually pretty ripped just not skinny the way you like your boys.
Show me one picture of him ripped.....

Try finding one from the last 3 years.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
For him to come out and say this something is massively wrong at the club, peasants like me and you aren’t allowed to know what the hell is going on. Honest interview without putting players under the bus, got no issue with it. Something terribly wrong at United he was the best left back in the world at the World Cup.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ah I think he was right to call the game as he saw it. He didn't do the usual platitudes. He highlighted a few very specific problems.
Ahh, I see. I'd need to listen to it myself, to be honest. However, literally every pundit says we don't play like a team, so for one of the players to suggest that is pretty damning, especially with a new manager in charge.

Marwood

He wasn’t woeful tonight. He was good. As he has been in every game under Rangnick. Something we can say about very few players. And that was the context of the interview. It would have been fecking ridiculous of him to come out and say “First of all, I need to talk about how I played under the former manager…”
The defending for the goal was shocking. I know Traore is difficult to play against but he did nothing special there and Luke practically stepped aside. He always struggles against Traore and I think he just doesn't fancy that battle.

As a defender when you're so bad in a game changing moment the performance can't be classed as good.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I look forward to hearing from Shaw after his next bad game.
Seeing as Shaw is arguably the one and only player in our entire squad who has shown himself capable of performing at a high level for more than a handful of matches in a row there’s a reasonable chance you’re in for a long wait. Fingers crossed, eh?

The Purley King

Man Utd defender Luke Shaw: "Not good enough, we really struggled, we couldn't get hold of the ball and when we didnt have the ball we weren't agressive enough. We didnt put them under any pressure.

"It maybe looked like an easy game for them. A disappointing performance and result. We didnt have many options on the ball and we weren't on the front foot.

"We have to put more pressure on them, we have to have intensity. Us players, we have been here a long time, maybe tonight we struggled, I didnt think we were all there together. You look at the players we have, we have unbelievable quality but sometimes quality is not enough.

"We need to bring the intensity and more motivation. Inside the dressing room, we know what we want but out on the pitch we need to give 100%. To win these types of games we all need to be 100% committed. It is tough and disappointing.

"One thing I will say is Phil Jones should be proud of himself. He has been criticised for years, and has gone through a lot, but he is so pfrssional and he has trained heard anmd he was phenomenal. He was exceptional, I am very happy for him and he deserves it."
If that is word for word what he said (I turned off on the final whistle) then he is 100% correct.
You’ll never see Jones wave his hands in “despair” as much as some other players