Luke Shaw next move?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fat cnut is genuinely stealing a living at this point.

If you're already struggling to get games and your dedication has been called into question constantly, why allow yourself to get fat even if it's the off season? At least Rooney worked hard all season first.

buckooo1978

Fat cnut is genuinely stealing a living at this point.

If you're already struggling to get games and your dedication has been called into question constantly, why allow yourself to get fat even if it's the off season? At least Rooney worked hard all season first.
just saw a picture of the guy looking in great shape in the training thread

buckooo1978

It's posted up there isn't it? My point is that he shouldn't even be getting into poor shape, considering.
well it's a month to the start of the season and he looks in great shape

im satisfied as he will be in optimum shape when we need him

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
well it's a month to the start of the season and he looks in great shape

im satisfied as he will be in optimum shape when we need him
Like I say, that's not the point really. I'm sure he will be ready for the season. If I was getting paid a shit tonne of money and not playing much football because my dedication and attitude had been called into question multiple times, I'd probably not get fat at any point.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm not really a big fan of staring at mens physiques but the amount of filtering that's been applied to that photo is just silly.
Not being funny but that’s a heavily filtered photograph. It’s no reference whatsoever.
Any good diet counsellor will tell you that the best way to remain motivated to lose weight is to visualize your body after your weight loss goals are achieved. A great many people with weight problems struggle to see themselves as a slimmer, healthier and altogether more confident person. Luke Shaw going to the effort of filtering the photo is simply his way of visualising how he wishes to look in the future.

Also, take note of the comments section where he clearly states "I am not finished yet". There is more work to be done he is well aware of that fact.

fellaini's barber

Waiting to sign a LB first probably.

Weakens our negotiating position if we sell him first. Especially as it appears we are negotiating with Juventus.
Totally doubt that, he's our 2nd/3rd choice left back and should have nothing to do with our negotiation for a first choice left back. You can't tell me if a club offers us good money for him right now and we're interested in selling we'd be telling them to hold off until we replace him. We'll just keep him along with Blind, Darmian and Rojo to pay their wages for the heck of it as usual

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Shaw has the type of body to get fat and lose his leanness quite quickly even if he pays attention to his diet but have a cheat day twice a week, ona side note, players like sanchez nani etc stay fit all year long without doing as much effort. One has to keep that in mind.
Maintaining a lean body is 90% effort 10% gene

This is the game where effort actually counts, many other players are less talented, less gifted, less strong, less quick, less everything than the next player but nothing stop their effort to be better. Ronaldo, Beckham, Keane, and many other players get on just fine without being blessed with being better than the rest.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Totally doubt that, he's our 2nd/3rd choice left back and should have nothing to do with our negotiation for a first choice left back. You can't tell me if a club offers us good money for him right now and we're interested in selling we'd be telling them to hold off until we replace him. We'll just keep him along with Blind, Darmian and Rojo to pay their wages for the heck of it as usual
You could be right.

Maybe no one is offering anything.

MUFC OK

One pic doesn't change much, but he's certainly on the right track and looks to have lost some timber. It would be nigh on impossible to go from how he looked about a week ago to being in the required physical shape. I just hope that something has been ignited in him because he has needed that for a long time.

fellaini's barber

You could be right.

Maybe no one is offering anything.
He's a player on big wages who barely plays, of course no one will be offering anything reasonable. If you want to get rid of these kind if players the club has to actually make an effort

MUFC OK

This is the game where effort actually counts, many other players are less talented, less gifted, less strong, less quick, less everything than the next player but nothing stop their effort to be better. Ronaldo, Beckham, Keane, and many other players get on just fine without being blessed with being better than the rest.
Have to call this out for what it is. If you are implying that Ronaldo doesn't have immense natural talent, I have to disagree. Yes, he has worked his arse off to constantly improve but the player we've seen for the last 10 years is the marriage of talent and dedication. I think the notion has arisen because Messi is probably the most naturally gifted player of all time and the two are so often compared. It's something that has been creeping into debates for a while now, that Ronaldo is purely brawn over brains, but surely talentwise he is up there with the greatest of all time as well.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Have to call this out for what it is. If you are implying that Ronaldo doesn't have immense natural talent, I have to disagree. Yes, he has worked his arse off to constantly improve but the player we've seen for the last 10 years is the marriage of talent and dedication. I think the notion has arisen because Messi is probably the most naturally gifted player of all time and the two are so often compared. It's something that has been creeping into debates for a while now, that Ronaldo is purely brawn over brains, but surely talentwise he is up there with the greatest of all time as well.
Oh talentwise hes top 20 in the world. But it's the effort that makes him contender for goat.

Bottom line is you probably need a good gene to become a physical freak like giggs or ronaldo, but to become a functioning professional left back effort alone is suffice. At least in fitness department.

MUFC OK

Oh talentwise hes top 20 in the world. But it's the effort that makes him contender for goat.

Bottom line is you probably need a good gene to become a physical freak like giggs or ronaldo, but to become a functioning professional left back effort alone is suffice. At least in fitness department.
Ahh thanks for clarifying, I agree. Case in point Gary Neville, John O'Shea and others.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He's a player on big wages who barely plays, of course no one will be offering anything reasonable. If you want to get rid of these kind if players the club has to actually make an effort
He's only got a year left on his deal though. So I can see why we wouldn't be overly bothered.

But the year is an additional option that we activated so we must have plans for him or will sell him at some point.

Shimo

So if he takes a couple weeks off keeping lean as he can be, that means he isn't putting in effort? Especially since he clearly was able to be into a shape what people perceive as putting a lot of effort within a short time frame.

To me there was nothing wrong with him taking time off for a couple weeks, where he just recharges and isn't thinking football. There is a long season ahead and with access to the facilities he has, he's got himself ready for the start of preseason. The only way he can truly be judged on effort is on the training pitch and in games. The former we don't have access to. So I reserve my judgement based on what he will do in games.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Order a takeaway?
Takeaway would actually be the better option.
If he walks to KFC, he might over exert himself. ;)

And regarding people saying things like, "I want to see what he does on the pitch". We have had 4 years of this.
Anderson had more good games than this guy and he needed an oxygen tank/mask to play.
Anderson was laughed at by fans for being so unfit. Shaw is worse.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
All panic reactions here on caf and he's fit again.

calm down. The fat is gone now haters.
I can still see plenty of fat.
But what I see is a player who has done nothing for 4 years. 1 year can be excepted due to the leg break, but what about the other 3?
I see some people writing off Sanchez after 6 months, yet this guy gets 4 years of poor performances, being out of shape and being unable to complete 90 minute, due to being fat.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It is bewilderingly easy to get in astonishing shape. Not quite as easy as it is to get fat, but close enough.

He has the best of everything available to him. Chefs, nutritionists, money, free time, coaches. I blame the club as much as I blame Shaw. He seems to be monumentally immature. He's a 22 year old child. He'd do well to move into a house with another top professional, eat, shit, sleep fitness and good choices for 3 months, declare himself unavailable for the first team squad until he's fit, then take it from there.

Laziness causes an athlete to look like that. He's easily 7-10kg's overweight for an athlete. You can't put that kind of timber on in 4-5 weeks without a genuine effort. He looks like the average bloke that works out three times a week and drinks beer five times a week. That kind of all over layer of fat. Shoulders, back, arms, legs.

He needs a Charles Barkley clause in his contract extension.

First time I read this bit in bold, I missed the comma and thought "he's already eating shit by the look of him!"

When I was 22, I was out Saturdays drinking, having junk food on the way home (though walking 4 miles home too) but playing Sunday league and was fitter than this.

Fecking hell, at 22, unless you've got an unusual metabolism or you're "big boned" (aka fat and lazy), even a reasonable amount of thought about diet and some proper exercise, will mean you should be in good shape?

For a professional sportsperson, it's poor. For someone who hophfully wants to say to Jose "look at me, first day back and I'm lean, fit, healthy and looking forward to pre season training", it smacks of poor attitude.

Tom Foster

We have become a kind of Benevolent Society for average players, paying them a great living wage.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We have become a kind of Benevolent Society for average players, paying them a great living wage.
This.

At least with some of the rest, they're putting in effort. Like him or hate him, Fellaini is not a fat feck who can't be arsed to look after himself properly.

This is what makes Shaw even more annoying.

Alabaster Codify7

This. We are nowhere near ruthless enough when it comes to shipping out players who aren't up to the job - Schneiderlin, we did a great job with; Jose came in, took one look at him, and thought 'nope'. Next thing you know, he's out and we've recouped a decent amount for him.

Blind and Darmian need to go, as does Shaw and whichever CB isn't doing it for Jose in terms of performances.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All this training to get in shape is something weve seen loads of times with him. I'll believe it and have faith in him as a player once he actually stays fit for an extended period of time, gets the trust of the manager and theres a clear attitude change with him. Up until now, it's been the same routine. Hes been here for 4 seasons, and from day 1 was supposed to be our main left back. Yet has made just 66 appearances, constantly getting injuries or when not injured, being unfit and having his attitude questioned. How many of those apps were starts even, and yet more how many actual good games? Very, very few. Not holding my breath with him til he proves otherwise for an extended period of time. Not for a few weeks and that's it like was the case before.

GledTheRed

I know an electrician who is doing some work @ Carrington and said he saw Shaw pull up in his Range Rover and leave five minutes later with a big bag of gear. Read in to it what you will....

He also said the work he and his colleagues are doing is all on the cheap and purely cosmetic (he's a United fan) and says that been the case since the Glazers took over.

Wan

Shaw has the type of body to get fat and lose his leanness quite quickly even if he pays attention to his diet but have a cheat day twice a week, ona side note, players like sanchez nani etc stay fit all year long without doing as much effort. One has to keep that in mind.
Everytime Sanchez instastory pops up its been about him running in the desert/beach/wherever he's enjoying his holiday.

sugar_kane

I know an electrician who is doing some work @ Carrington and said he saw Shaw pull up in his Range Rover and leave five minutes later with a big bag of gear. Read in to it what you will....
Seems an extreme length to go to to lose weight but whatever works Luke