Luke Shaw next move?

Ekeke

Shaw is still at United because he's still young and English. Not giving him another contract would mean we forfeit all the money we spent on him so that he can play for someone else for free. Whilst he wasnt amazing when he played last season he wasnt bad for a 22 year old fullback

Relfy

Got to agree with what Castles has reported We've invested 50 million on shaw now and we have yet to see a full season of starts out of him. We need to learn when to cut our losses and move people on. Not just shaw but also the likes of blind and darmian too. All taking big wages and contributing nothing.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Christ he looks out of shape. Absolute waste of money this one. His body fat has to be at least 20% there. Probably more. That's shocking for a modern professional footballer. Even in the off season.

Ekeke

Got to agree with what Castles has reported We've invested 50 million on shaw now and we have yet to see a full season of starts out of him. We need to learn when to cut our losses and move people on. Not just shaw but also the likes of blind and darmian too. All taking big wages and contributing nothing.
How much do you think Blind is earning? :lol:

Mindhunter

Christ he looks out of shape. Absolute waste of money this one. His body fat has to be at least 20% there. Probably more. That's shocking for a modern professional footballer. Even in the off season.
Is that a recent photo?

Relfy

How much do you think Blind is earning? :lol:
In the region of 60-80k pw. But that's being paid to a player clearly not in the managers plans. Same applies to darmian too. You're looking at 25 million plus being paid in wages to players we want off the books. Surely we'd be better off taking a hit on their transfer fees and recoup something instead of paying high wages and them taking up room in the squad.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Anderson replacement
Anderson had more good games than Shaw.
He is overweight (anybody who says otherwise is blind or knows nothing about athletic performance) and has absolutely no desire to impress the manager.
If he was managed by Pep, he'd have been humiliated in the press and told that he will never play for him again.
I honestly can't believe that Jose is putting up with this.

I'm 43 years old and not paid a single penny to stay in shape.
I am in better shape than this guy. It's almost like he is daring his employers to sell/sack him.

BTW, where are those people who stated that he was the best LB in the EPL? Please step forward. Some deluded people even said that had he not broken his leg, we'd have won the league that season. :houllier:

Bestietom

I think that Mourinho has to get rid of more than Shaw. We have a squad of 30 players now and he needs to get rid of 8/9 before we bring others in.

LB ,CB, and a right winger are still needed if we are to be serious challengers for honours this coming season. There is just a month left in this transfer window and we have not moved anyone on as yet.

Ekeke

In the region of 60-80k pw. But that's being paid to a player clearly not in the managers plans. Same applies to darmian too. You're looking at 25 million plus being paid in wages to players we want off the books. Surely we'd be better off taking a hit on their transfer fees and recoup something instead of paying high wages and them taking up room in the squad.
I doubt he's earning even that. We signed him as a squad player for £15 million and just extended his contract since then with the optional extra year. He wasnt given a new contract.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he will be moving down the road to KFC as they open at 11am

Relfy

I doubt he's earning even that. We signed him as a squad player for £15 million and just extended his contract since then with the optional extra year. He wasnt given a new contract.
Yes, and my point is that we're going to give him another years salary and he'll have little to zero impact on the first team. In my opinion we should have been looking to offload him as soon as it was clear he didn't fit the managers plans. Instead we maintain players on contracts whether it be new contracts or extensions to their current terms, but we're doing this with players who haven't been playing.

Luke Shaw cost 32 million in transfer fees, then somewhere between 100-120k p/w in wages according to reports. That's a 50 million investment in someone who hasn't become a first team player after 4 years here. Now we're talking about extending his deal - why?! Should we not cut our losses, sell him for 15 maybe 20 million and use that money to reinvest and free up a space in the squad? Similar situation with Blind, 15 million transfer fee probably around another 15 million in wages, so we have a 30 million investment in someone who made just 17 appearances last year and will again be on the bench this coming season.

The crux of it is that we as fans moan about all of the deadwood in the squad, but when it comes to it the club seem reluctant to sell the players not making an impact (Blind) or who have quite simply failed (Shaw/Darmian). Would we not be better off to take a hit on the fee we paid out for them, save their wages and free up space in the squad, as opposed to this apparent policy of not wanting to lose players for less than we paid?

GeorgeRed89

Supports
Liverpool
I know some of you will think that i'm a Liverpool fan and thus biased but i saw the picture and this is really shameful from him.

I absolutely detest players who are so unprofessional and this while they're young and didn't achieve any glory. The fact that you're given a once in a lifetime chance to play for a club like Man Utd, with its history and so on and you can't do the basic thing of being in shape is really disgusting. You then look at serial winners like Ronaldo and Messi who are in such great shape after they won so many trophies and you see the likes of Shaw that haven't won anything when compared to them but they are so unprofessional, it's hard not to get mad at this type of behaviour.

I know he had a long-term injury but that's only an excuse, many players recover from that and are running themselves into the ground for their clubs and do everything to fight for a place in the starting lineup.

The players are given way too much power, surely for such big clubs and given the fact that they invest alot of money into players (aside from the transfer fee) there must be some contract clauses that force players to keep in shape, even when they are on vacation.

Maybe i'm over the top, but imagine being Mourinho and you see this kind of pictures, and then you have his agent criticizing you because you don't give him opportunities to play. It's laughable really.

Last edited by a moderator:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Seems he has lost that carrot that was driving him, understandable as it's human nature, most of us wouldn't put in the required work if we signed a 5 year contract at £120k a week, most footballers are in it for the money not the glory, shame he couldn't see the bigger picture and earn for the long term not just the short.

He'd have earned over £30 million during his contract (excluding signing bonus), that's like winning the lottery, and I'm sure we wouldn't go back to work if we'd won the lottery.

Shame for us as fans and seeing someone with all that talent waste it sucks.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
most of us wouldn't put in the required work if we signed a 5 year contract at £120k a week
What? Most of the footballers with that kind of a salary are top professionals. And I struggle to think why would I, for example, won't put in the work required.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Club invested so much money in him. Coaches gave him so many chances. Again and again. Fans picked his side over mourinho. And he repays like this. Instead working hard in gym this summer he is on holliday. Don't get me wrong. Of course that players have right to go on holliday but how many days in last 4 years he had free days because of injury? A lot. So this summer he could spent in gym and prepared himself for season. But no, he does not care.
He doesn't deserve all this faith from us and club.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
What? Most of the footballers with that kind of a salary are top professionals. And I struggle to think why would I, for example, won't put in the work required.
Most yeah, but some lose that hunger rather quickly, and you're not a millionaire so of course you'd think you'd still work extremely hard, losing motivation isn't all that rare, like it or not footballers at the very top, have to give up the little luxuries most of us couldn't, no drinking, not staying up all night, strict diet, just seems that Shaw would rather enjoy his money now rather than maintain the level that got him the money.

Alabaster Codify7

Another player we won't be able to shift as nobody wants to touch them.
He'll still be here this time next year. During those 12months, he'll have his mates leak to the paper that he's "confused and upset" by Jose's criticism and "is adamant to get in shape and make the LB spot his own".

Waste of space

Minimalist

Accurate or not, I can't understand why Shaw is still at United.
I mean he's hardly overweight in that photo compared to the average bloke but for a footballer/athlete he's hardly in shape.

If you're stupidly talented you can get away with it but he's not.

The Bloody-Nine

Most yeah, but some lose that hunger rather quickly, and you're not a millionaire so of course you'd think you'd still work extremely hard, losing motivation isn't all that rare, like it or not footballers at the very top, have to give up the little luxuries most of us couldn't, no drinking, not staying up all night, strict diet, just seems that Shaw would rather enjoy his money now rather than maintain the level that got him the money.
I don't think that's a concern...

MAME DIOUF 32

I'm 36 years old, eat like an 11-year-old who's allowed to pick his favourite every night, drink double the suggested amount of units a day and all the exercise I do is a half an hour of running a few times a week. I look at Shaw's upper body there and it's like looking into a mirror.

I've always rated him when he's been fit and at 22 he's still got time, but what evidence is there that he'll change? We've been repeating this for years.

RedFish

I'm 36 years old, eat like an 11-year-old who's allowed to pick his favourite every night, drink double the suggested amount of units a day and all the exercise I do is a half an hour of running a few times a week. I look at Shaw's upper body there and it's like looking into a mirror.

I've always rated him when he's been fit and at 22 he's still got time, but what evidence is there that he'll change? We've been repeating this for years.
That's just it. It won't change. I think you either have that discipline or you don't. He's got money to burn, and frankly I don't think he gives a shit. Shame because he's got the raw skills to be an elite player.

Sterling Archer

Accurate or not, I can't understand why Shaw is still at United.
Genuinely feel better about myself having seen this photo.

He's obviously an athlete...but you'd guess it was a few years back before retiring. You expect a bit better given such big improvements in nutrition science and coaches

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I mean he's hardly overweight in that photo compared to the average bloke but for a footballer/athlete he's hardly in shape.

If you're stupidly talented you can get away with it but he's not.
It is bewilderingly easy to get in astonishing shape. Not quite as easy as it is to get fat, but close enough.

He has the best of everything available to him. Chefs, nutritionists, money, free time, coaches. I blame the club as much as I blame Shaw. He seems to be monumentally immature. He's a 22 year old child. He'd do well to move into a house with another top professional, eat, shit, sleep fitness and good choices for 3 months, declare himself unavailable for the first team squad until he's fit, then take it from there.

Laziness causes an athlete to look like that. He's easily 7-10kg's overweight for an athlete. You can't put that kind of timber on in 4-5 weeks without a genuine effort. He looks like the average bloke that works out three times a week and drinks beer five times a week. That kind of all over layer of fat. Shoulders, back, arms, legs.

He needs a Charles Barkley clause in his contract extension.

The Purley King

That is massively disappointing.
I was always someone who wanted to keep Shaw and believed he would eventually come good, but that photo is the end of it.
Even semi professional players make an effort to keep things ticking over in the summer. He looks like he's been in the pub for the last month. If he really gave a rats arse about his Utd career he'd be eating sensibly, training hard, losing a bit of weight before pre-season starts. Juding by that photo he is at least 2 stone overwight and that is fecking unacceptable.
We should get rid asap - even if its £15m or something I don't care.

IrishMcD

Saw a video of Sanchez out running late at night, dripping in sweat and showing off his ridiculous physical appearance. Granted it was a bit cringy but then you compare his attitude to that of this lad. I'm a fat lazy shite and I'm nearly the shame shape as him.

MUFC OK

Embarrassing, the issues with his weight must be mental now. There is no excuse for him not to be substantially leaner with the wealth of fitness coaches, dieticians, chefs etc at his disposal all year round. He simply cannot want it enough, surely seeing Ashley Young at the World Cup, let alone for playing for United all last season would be enough motivation for him?

It's not all about weight but this really gives the impression that he is either unwilling or uneducated.