Luton Town in the Premier League? Probably not

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Saw some scouse on complaining about Town fans today, naughty songs apparently
Every off-coloured chant is seemingly getting labelled as tragedy chanting nowadays. All they sung was "feed the scousers" and "always the victims, it's never your fault". The latter chant was first sung by United fans in 2012 after Liverpool players wore Suarez shirts after he was found guilty of racially abusing Evra.

Gawge

Every off-coloured chant is seemingly getting labelled as tragedy chanting nowadays. All they sung was "feed the scousers" and "always the victims, it's never your fault". The latter chant was first sung by United fans in 2012 after Liverpool players wore Suarez shirts after he was found guilty of racially abusing Evra.
People know what they are doing when singing the 'always the victims' chant. It's a mainstay of newly promoted clubs coming up wanting to be 'cheeky' against big teams.

The feed the scousers songs, and singing the national anthem are also very '50 year man posting cry laughing emoji in Facebook comments'.

Just think all the clubs who sing that stuff at them come across as a bit pathetic.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

People know what they are doing when singing the 'always the victims' chant. It's a mainstay of newly promoted clubs coming up wanting to be 'cheeky' against big teams.

The feed the scousers songs, and singing the national anthem are also very '50 year man posting cry laughing emoji in Facebook comments'.

Just think all the clubs who sing that stuff at them come across as a bit pathetic.
I agree the 'feed the scousers' chant makes me cringe a bit and comes across as very Tory, but I don't think it should be lumped in with Hillsborough chants.

IRN-BRUno

From what I've seen they've been the most competitive of the promoted sides so far, unlucky with a few decisions also like the West Ham game where they should have had a penalty in the last minute.

I like how they've been really sensible with transfers as well. The two most known and old(ish) players in Townsend and Barkley both have a lot to prove and the rest will put them in a solid position to challenge for promotion again if they do go down.

DennisReynolds

Justifying tragedy chanting here isn't a great take...

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Justifying tragedy chanting here isn't a great take...
I agree. Had I justified tragedy chanting then it wouldn't be a great take at all, but I did nothing of the sort, so it's all good.

If we're going to start lumping in certain songs as tragedy chanting then let's throw the Martinez chant in there whilst we're at it. Tip-toe, through the Kop End, with a cleaver has violent connotations and has no place in the terraces in 2023 if you ask me.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Totally agree. It's tasteless but it's not tragedy chanting in the slightest and there should be no penalty for it. Liverpool seem eager to lump off colour chants that aren't about tragedies in with tragedy chanting for some reason.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I have soft spot for them now. That dog sitting still and watching the game was beautiful scene.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They did a good job making Kenilworth a troublesome away match.
They've only actually won 2/9 at home. However they were very close to getting something off Arsenal and Man. City so that type of statement win was certainly coming.

If they can win another five at home and draw a couple from their remaining ten (which is possible looking at who they're playing) that will get them very close to 30 points and then it's a case of scrambling an away win or two.

I certainly didn't have them down as getting even close to 25 points so impressed by what I'm seeing. Barkley and Townsend really stepped up as the experienced heads in their squad, more so with what has happened to Lockyer.

Winrar

They've only actually won 2/9 at home. However they were very close to getting something off Arsenal and Man. City so that type of statement win was certainly coming.

If they can win another five at home and draw a couple from their remaining ten (which is possible looking at who they're playing) that will get them very close to 30 points and then it's a case of scrambling an away win or two.

I certainly didn't have them down as getting even close to 25 points so impressed by what I'm seeing. Barkley and Townsend really stepped up as the experienced heads in their squad, more so with what has happened to Lockyer.
Sure, they haven't won many games at home but I don't think any team heading there were handed a comfortable victory. They were an added time goal away from snatching a win against Liverpool as well, and will probably get something against us as well if our dreadful form continues until February.

They've done really well considering the resources (rather lack thereof) they have at their disposal.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think they're as good as down.

I warmed to them this season though and I hope they come back up with a stronger squad.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, they captured my heart too, the cobbled together entirely from loans and free transfers cnuts.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Not over yet, but I've enjoyed their presence in the league too. They've seemed up for it almost every game, can't say that today.

Been a long, hard slog for them and having given so much, tiredness and in reality a lack of top class quality looks to be catching up to them. Thought there were signs in mid-March when they were winning 3-0 away at Bournemouth and lost. That result must have been a big blow to them mentally.

They didn't let their heads drop afterwards until now but a win in that game would have been huge, and who knows what it would have done for momentum?

thisisnottaken1

They’ve been very likeable, unlike Burnley and Sheffield United who have been as good as relegated the entire season. To be fair, Luton kinda have, but they’ve at least put up a fight.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
They've fought like warriors in a lot of matches. Like the ones in 300. Deserved some more points.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Huge game for us and Forest tomorrow. Creating any type of gap at this stage of the season is a massive psychological boost.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think they needed a result today, even a hard fought point keeps them mentally in the game. It will be hard to come back from that.

Their players are poor footballers for this level. The fast transition play through Barkley just to get to goal as directly as possible, knowing they would concede position every game, was a stroke of genius by the coach and made for some cracking games.

They did something practical and they were just a result or two away from it coming off.

I am sure it leaves a sour taste that both sides above them broke financial rules too.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Huge game for us and Forest tomorrow. Creating any type of gap at this stage of the season is a massive psychological boost.
Maybe not for us. Our must win is Sheff U away in two weeks time. 3 points there plus 2 draws from Everton, Chelsea at home or Burnley away puts us on 31points. With their GD, Luton will need 7 points from their last 4 matches which is unlikely I think?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Maybe not for us. Our must win is Sheff U away in two weeks time. 3 points there plus 2 draws from Everton, Chelsea at home or Burnley away puts us on 31points. With their GD, Luton will need 7 points from their last 4 matches which is unlikely I think?
Any confidence boost at this stage of the season can have a big impact. You just need to go on a little run of two or three games and you're safe.

IRN-BRUno

Its cruel they will go down. We've seen loads of ill equipped teams make it into this league, with the exception of Blackpool, I've never seen one fight so hard.
They'll end up being fairly similar to that Blackpool side. Completely written off as soon as they won the play-off final, their signings were generally cheap ones from the lower leagues but they've been competitive, involved in entertaining games, had hope of staying up and will eventually fall just short.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
They'll end up being fairly similar to that Blackpool side. Completely written off as soon as they won the play-off final, their signings were generally cheap ones from the lower leagues but they've been competitive, involved in entertaining games, had hope of staying up and will eventually fall just short.
Yep. Though I have to say I've never seen anything like that Blackpool team. I've never seen a promoted side so clearly lacking in the quality to compete in the league absolutely go for it game after game like they did. They never once parked the bus. It was a shame Owen relegated them. We should have thrown that game!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Really gutted. I don't mind when we get beat, even by a big score but this is the worst I've felt since that loss to Bournemouth.

We had two key players back (CB & DMF) and we defended worse than when we were forced to play WBs in CB.

The players heads dropped at 2-0 and we just stopped playing. At home too no less.

We need to now win at Wolves and hope the two above us keep dropping points.

Realistically, I think we're done.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Any confidence boost at this stage of the season can have a big impact. You just need to go on a little run of two or three games and you're safe.
I don’t think confidence is our problem, it’s Nuno. When he sets us up to attack teams and picks our best front 4 + Danilo we look decent, such as the game vs Fulham. However, If Origi is in the starting lineup or we switch to 433 or try to play for a draw we are a shambles. We can’t defend and will concede to a set piece at some point. To have any chance we need to go 2 nil up and pray we hang on for a 2 - 1 or 2 - 2.

Either way I suspect this will be a terrible game of football between two deeply flawed sides. I’ll take a draw and hope we don’t get battered by City next week.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t think confidence is our problem, it’s Nuno. When he sets us up to attack teams and picks our best front 4 + Danilo we look decent, such as the game vs Fulham. However, If Origi is in the starting lineup or we switch to 433 or try to play for a draw we are a shambles. We can’t defend and will concede to a set piece at some point. To have any chance we need to go 2 nil up and pray we hang on for a 2 - 1 or 2 - 2.

Either way I suspect this will be a terrible game of football between two deeply flawed sides. I’ll take a draw and hope we don’t get battered by City next week.
That's the point though. In these last games it doesn't matter how teams play in terms of tactics. All that matters is getting points and confidence helps.