LvG and his ruthless streak

Mali_Zeus

Training means nothing, it is about match fitness. They have all only played in total one game. Bastian will be behind everyone else, but none of them will be anywhere up to scratch yet and some may take longer to get there than others. I know he doesn't like all the travelling involved on tours, but playing only 4 games and not full games at that, I am actually worried they might be a bit undercooked when the season starts. I would have been happier with a couple of more games say in Europe before the season started. I am sure the injury crisis from last season is behind all this.
We dont have any European games till the season starts?

Sereques

Training means nothing, it is about match fitness. They have all only played in total one game. Bastian will be behind everyone else, but none of them will be anywhere up to scratch yet and some may take longer to get there than others. I know he doesn't like all the travelling involved on tours, but playing only 4 games and not full games at that, I am actually worried they might be a bit undercooked when the season starts. I would have been happier with a couple of more games say in Europe before the season started. I am sure the injury crisis from last season is behind all this.
The games is to get match rhythm, training is what bring fitness. If the players a very fit, they will get match rhythm quicker. We have a lot of games in the first few weeks to give us match rhythm we need. No point playing 6-8 games before Spurs and at the end of September, the players are tired.

Don't forget, they also play matches among themselves at Carrington.

Empire

We know at Bayern there was a power struggle for control of the football activities, perhaps Louis van Gaal didn't like being told what to do and any opposition was not to Neuer because he didn't rate him but to the board for trying to dictate to him, clearly Hoeness wasn't happy he chose Kraft over Butt and probably made this known to him.

Louis van Gaal seems to answer the media directly and usually honestly, when he said he thinks Bayern could do with Neuer as reported by sky sports he probably mean't it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We know at Bayern there was a power struggle for control of the football activities, perhaps Louis van Gaal didn't like being told what to do and any opposition was not to Neuer because he didn't rate him but to the board for trying to dictate to him, clearly Hoeness wasn't happy he chose Kraft over Butt and probably made this known to him.

Louis van Gaal seems to answer the media directly and usually honestly, when he said he thinks Bayern could do with Neuer as reported by sky sports he probably mean't it.
If I'm not mistaken the problem was with the price, he was against purchasing a goalkeeper for that price.

Cantonaaa!

Looks like Evans is going to WBA.
No matter what, Van Gaal has certainly showed he has the balls to trim ,what many have labelled deadwood, and under performers from the squad.
Fergie was too stubborn to realise or to romantic about the Manchester United way to admit that certain players were never going to make it, or were past it, although he certainly sent some big names packing through the years.
I suspect that Moyes had to much respect for the club and was afraid to upset the group of players in his first year.
Van Gaal has sent away Di Maria, Falcao, Van Persie, Anderson, Welbeck, Nani, Rafael, Cleverley (probably forgot someone) and more are perhaps on the way, while others are benched game after game.
Quality replacements have come in as well, and though we struggle to play attractive football, and lack a striker and maybe a few other players, at least the squad is much healthier now than it has been for many years.

I feel this was needed although it's always sad to see players like Evans and Rafael leave, but I feel much better when I see Smalling performing on a level Evans never did IMO, and Darmian making us forget all to quick about the brazilian who flattered to deceive.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looks like Evans is going to WBA.
No matter what, Van Gaal has certainly showed he has the balls to trim ,what many have labelled deadwood, and under performers from the squad.
Fergie was too stubborn to realise or to romantic about the Manchester United way to admit that certain players were never going to make it, or were past it, although he certainly sent some big names packing through the years.
I suspect that Moyes had to much respect for the club and was afraid to upset the group of players in his first year.
Van Gaal has sent away Di Maria, Falcao, Van Persie, Anderson, Welbeck, Nani, Rafael, Cleverley (probably forgot someone) and more are perhaps on the way, while others are benched game after game.
Quality replacements have come in as well, and though we struggle to play attractive football, and lack a striker and maybe a few other players, at least the squad is much healthier now than it has been for many years.

I feel this was needed although it's always sad to see players like Evans and Rafael leave, but I feel much better when I see Smalling performing on a level Evans never did IMO, and Darmian making us forget all to quick about the brazilian who flattered to deceive.
Fergie was less inclined to trim the squad because the existing squad consisted of his players. Its a bit easier for LvG to get rid of players he probably never wanted in the first place.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Selling Evans isn't a sign of ruthlessness tbh, it's just common sense. If we take into account how Evans regressed as a footballer, to see this transfer happen is logical.

suheilsworld

I have been harping on this point since long. I am glad the way LVG has trimmed the squad and not just deadwood, players who have been under par or don't have the will to perform for the club. Kudos to his approach, ruthless and unwanting as it may be sometimes, it is definitely required.

Empire

You can't deny this is a promising and young squad that only needs the addition of a solid GK and world class attacker to be a force, our future looks secure.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Selling Evans isn't a sign of ruthlessness tbh, it's just common sense. If we take into account how Evans regressed as a footballer, to see this transfer happen is logical.
I think if Fergie was still here, Evans would be starting every match.

Just reading his autobiography at the moment - he absolutely loved Evans, mentions him in pretty much every chapter.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wouldn't actually call it a regression as such. I'd just say he's a player who has really struggled with form due to a combination of injuries, irregular play time, changing partnerships and a lack of protection ahead of him.

It's not been an ideal situation for any centreback and I expect him to prove to be a very good buy for WBA.

Oneunited26

I have been harping on this point since long. I am glad the way LVG has trimmed the squad and not just deadwood, players who have been under par or don't have the will to perform for the club. Kudos to his approach, ruthless and unwanting as it may be sometimes, it is definitely required.
Oh yes, VG still needs to get a system that works and stick to it, he is still making some bizzare changes. Big no question 2009-13 topped 2003-04 squad in terms of a poor pool of players, and I still think we have not quiet recovered from that regression just yet

beergod

I wouldn't actually call it a regression as such. I'd just say he's a player who has really struggled with form due to a combination of injuries, irregular play time, changing partnerships and a lack of protection ahead of him.

It's not been an ideal situation for any centreback and I expect him to prove to be a very good buy for WBA.
I thought Evans was finally coming to grips with LvG's system, but that Newcastle incident and injury derailed any progress. I think he could be a very good player for WBA with a settled partnership and regular playing time, which he wasn't going to get here. I don't think this is a ruthless move at all, just the right move for all parties involved.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
What LVG has done brilliantly for us is he's cleared out the players that just weren't good enough.

Goodbye Cleverly, Nani, Anderson, Evans, RVP (based on his last two years), ADM (OK only based on one season), Kagawa, Welbeck (though I still think that was a mistake), Zaha, Buttner (despite the rumours at first saying LVG really liked him), Bebe and Macheda. And that's just the ones I can remember.

He's significantly cut the wage bill plus made the club some money in the process. I've always been told that LVG works with a fairly small squad but full of quality. If that's true then so far he's done a good job of clearing out the rubbish whilst improving the overall quality.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
What LVG has done brilliantly for us is he's cleared out the players that just weren't good enough.

Goodbye Cleverly, Nani, Anderson, Evans, RVP (based on his last two years), ADM (OK only based on one season), Kagawa, Welbeck (though I still think that was a mistake), Zaha, Buttner (despite the rumours at first saying LVG really liked him), Bebe and Macheda. And that's just the ones I can remember.

He's significantly cut the wage bill plus made the club some money in the process. I've always been told that LVG works with a fairly small squad but full of quality. If that's true then so far he's done a good job of clearing out the rubbish whilst improving the overall quality.
I must have missed this?

Buttner was never called up for the national team whilst we had shite leftbacks. Willems had a poor season, so did all our leftbacks across the border and only Blind performed well that season. Kuyt playing leftback told Buttner everything he needed to know, he wanted out as soon as van Gaal was announced.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
I must have missed this?

Buttner was never called up for the national team whilst we had shite leftbacks. Willems had a poor season, so did all our leftbacks across the border and only Blind performed well that season. Kuyt playing leftback told Buttner everything he needed to know, he wanted out as soon as van Gaal was announced.
I'm sure I remember when LVG came in that Buttner's place at united seemed safe. I think it was probably lazy journalism though. He's Dutch, so is LVG and so therefore LVG must like and rate him. Of course maybe I did imagine that but I don't think I have.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I'm sure I remember when LVG came in that Buttner's place at united seemed safe. I think it was probably lazy journalism though. He's Dutch, so is LVG and so therefore LVG must like and rate him. Of course maybe I did imagine that but I don't think I have.
Might've been the English media then, all I remember is articles of Buttner wanting out and feeling ignored by van Gaal. He didn't want to comment on Kuyt playing LB against Argentina but said that he could've played that match (duh). I think he wanted out not just because he wasn't in Brazil, but that he was never even called upon for training/proving himself either. There were many shouts in Holland that he should've been included and with the options we had at the time it seemed strange he didn't.

Buttner isn't really solid defensively so I guess he never was in van Gaal's plans, not for the national team nor for MUFC.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
No, I remember that he left before LVG got here and complained that LvG didnt rate him and had failed to call him up to the N.T, he then mentioned that he had won the motm 14 times at United

Buttner said: “Van Gaal never gave me the chance in the Dutch national team, despite being voted man of the match 14 times at Manchester United.

“Apparently, he is not very confident about me. So I think this is the right moment to leave."

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
We've seen a lot of that. LvG will favour RvP, LvG will buy Cillessen, LvG will buy Wijnaldum, will make an offer for Robben etc. Of course he has a preference for 'schooled' players, schooled in tactics closer to his. Because with players like Blind and Schweinsteiger, he can relie on a few players taking correct positions without having to think about it too much. A lot of Dutch players are better schooled, but not all of them and not only Dutch players. So yes, very lazy speculation rather than journalism.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I know many wont like it. But we should never have let di Maria go and we should have kept van Perise.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We may need to be ruthless at this rate with LVG. It's not an ideal situation 2 seasons maybe 3/4. We need proper long term planning.

Woodenlung

He sold RVP for performances that have been no worse than the rubbish Rooney has put in this season. If he has any sense he'll know what to do.

Robbie Boy

I know many wont like it. But we should never have let di Maria go and we should have kept van Perise.
Yeah that's all well and good but Di Maria clearly didn't want to be here and some of his pathetic performances last season exemplified that. A Di Maria who was willing to give it his all and wanted to be here would have been a tremendous game changing asset. As for RvP, yes I fully agree we should have kept him as we haven't yet replaced him and Rooney is just so poor at the moment.

Di Maria's angel

Yeah that's all well and good but Di Maria clearly didn't want to be here and some of his pathetic performances last season exemplified that. A Di Maria who was willing to give it his all and wanted to be here would have been a tremendous game changing asset. As for RvP, yes I fully agree we should have kept him as we haven't yet replaced him and Rooney is just so poor at the moment.
I hold LvG responsible for most of di marias decline.

Robbie Boy

I can't agree with that at all. Di Maria was a bit of a pussy and when the going got tough, he decided it best to move on instead of trying to turn it around. It seemed pretty clear from day 1 that he wanted the PSG move over a move to us. Young came into the team and took his chance and when Di Maria got any sort of cameo appearances to win back his place, he simply didn't take them.

Look at the difference between Sanchez and Di Maria; two South Americans that moved from Spain's big two in the same window. Both had prior experience at other European clubs and had done well for Barca and Real. The difference is that Sanchez has the far better attitude and has given his all for Arsenal. Di Maria looked disinterested after 7 odd games.

Di Maria's angel

I can't agree with that at all. Di Maria was a bit of a pussy and when the going got tough, he decided it best to move on instead of trying to turn it around. It seemed pretty clear from day 1 that he wanted the PSG move over a move to us. Young came into the team and took his chance and when Di Maria got any sort of cameo appearances to win back his place, he simply didn't take them.

Look at the difference between Sanchez and Di Maria; two South Americans that moved from Spain's big two in the same window. Both had prior experience at other European clubs and had done well for Barca and Real. The difference is that Sanchez has the far better attitude and has given his all for Arsenal. Di Maria looked disinterested after 7 odd games.
Di Maria came off the best season of his life and made a move he never wanted. He accepted it and was asked to play in a style hes probably never played. Where passing is more important than anything, and creating is frowned upon. Looking at it, di Maria seems to have made a great move. Van Gaal has done a great job at ruining the careers of every attacker that has played for him, thus far. Bar Young, who had a contract to play for.

jem

That's ridiculous. Di Maria has only himself to blame for how he played here. Up until the red card, LVG regularly played him, and he disappointed time and time again. It was particularly damning that we played our best football after that. An in-form ADM would be a tremendous asset to this team, but he showed very little last season to suggest that he was up to the demands of this league. I fail to see how any of that is Van Gaal's fault.

jem

Di Maria came off the best season of his life and made a move he never wanted. He accepted it and was asked to play in a style hes probably never played. Where passing is more important than anything, and creating is frowned upon. Looking at it, di Maria seems to have made a great move. Van Gaal has done a great job at ruining the careers of every attacker that has played for him, thus far. Bar Young, who had a contract to play for.
Yeah Robben must be incredibly bitter....