LVG as our DOF

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Should we consider Moyes while at it?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You often read of frustrated 'Wenger out' Arsenal fans who'd like to get rid of Arsene by shifting him upstairs. This makes little sense to me, as many of the same problems would remain - because of AW's continued influence - regardless of his undoubted acumen. Besides, managers who've become accustomed to being in total charge aren't likely to adjust well to secondary roles. The same applies, IMO, with LVG and United if a similar scenario came to pass.

Adebesi

My wife doesnt love me any more, she's proposed moving me "upstairs" and bringing in a new fella to take care of her more immediate needs. That would leave me to do what I am best at, like taking out the rubbish and emptying the dishwasher.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why would we give a director of football role to a guy who has barely made a single good decision in the 2 years he's been here?

iKeano

What a terrible idea.

It takes one or two good wins and we see threads like this popping up all over the place.
This.

The Caf sometimes feels like a goldfish bowl, some of the members have a 3 second memory!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Hasn't his eye for talent led us to a point where most of the players who have signed during his time here aren't starters for us? We're probably okay for that sort of help, tbh.
Is this another conspiracy theory?

SteveJ

Scout
My wife doesnt love me any more, she's proposed moving me "upstairs" and bringing in a new fella to take care of her more immediate needs. That would leave me to do what I am best at, like taking out the rubbish and emptying the dishwasher.
At least you laid the foundations for the next bloke, mate.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I know what you are thinking. Send this guy to the mental institution. But hear me out here. Ignore that knee jerk reaction, take a breath, and try to think through this mini-article of sorts.

LVG isn't a very good head coach in the EPL. Of this there is no doubt. He'll probably be fired as the head coach of the club in the summer (no guarantees, this is the EPL after all).

Despite his struggles at United, there is no doubt that LVG is talented at some aspects of being involved in major footballing decisions. He has a ridiculously keen eye for talent, is good at creating structure /discipline, takes a long term methodical approach termed endearingly as "the process", likes promoting youth, and understands the struggles of life in the premier league.

That sounds a lot like the job posting you'd send out for the DOF position at United?

He has some talent and skills befitting of the managerial position. But he struggles to put it all together and make good quick decisions. He's identified all these good youth players with great potential to turn over our aging overpriced squad. Signed a world class player in Di Maria. But then makes terrible decisions in tactics and man management failing to put these players in a position to succeed every week. His slow methodical approach and inability to adapt a process to fit his players are why his execution is so frustratingly inconsistent. But imagine if he controlled some of the decisions regarding bringing in new players and the youth squad, but didn't control the tactics or player selection in games?

Picture under a different free flowing attacking system, if we played Memphis in behind Rooney. Had Memphis making runs and finding space to operate in and Rooney in this interchangeable role with Memphis where he could drop deep sometimes playing the no. 10. Imagine Martial on the left terrorizing fullbacks, and Di Maria on the right wing. A excellent box to box midfielder (either Herrera or Schneiderlin) with good forward runs and a willingness to run back and tackle. Imagine us buying an actual DM who can cover ground to defend as well as pass. Paired with 2 decent CB's (ie. no Blind), it might be enough to allow our FB's (Shaw and Valencia) to actually cross the midfield in time to contribute to the attack; before the opposition gets in their full defensive shape. And all of this with a monster in goal in De Gea.

To provide squad depth in attack you had Hernandez, Welbeck, or Rashford. Hard working wingers like Lingard and Young running up and down to win those tough away games in champions league. Herrera, Carrick, Fosuh Mensah, Jones, and McNair in the midfield/defense. Solid backups in FB's in Rafael, Varela, and Bothwick Jackson. The tools were almost all there short of maybe a starting DM and CB.

Get a coach who dares to dream with an attacking mindset who is willing creating a system that puts players in the best position to succeed. To complement that have LVG focus on the structure and long term squad management. Fergie was one of a kind being able to do it all by himself, but I think if we split the job and using LVG at his natural position we might pick up where we left off.
Alternatively, we could sack him and feck him off into retirement.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just no.

paulscholes18

In fairness, I did say one or two.

One very good against City. Especially as we hadnt won since Fergie.

Was the same after the Arsenal win.
Beat City 4-2 last season, unless you mean won at City since Fergie

SteveJ

Scout
Well I certainly brought through the youth (had kids) and lowered expectations, the only thing missing was banging on about my philosophy.
:lol::lol:

Skills

Snitch
What is it with our fans, that they just don't get the concept of letting go? If someone's not good enough for their purpose, feck them off. Why not actually just get a competent, experienced and previously successful director of football if that's what we're looking for? Instead of a failed manager, who's previously made a complete twat of himself in the same position and a history of falling out with people?

Skills

Snitch
Psycho ex - she still has some redeeming qualities. So I'll adopt her as my sister.

ravi2

No thank you.
LVG's philosophy essentially of throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

After this season, I've had enough of him.
Best of luck to him in his retirement.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
a) He hasn't earned the job with his performance.
b) How can a failed manager have any authority at a club? Ferguson's respect was built on success.
c) He belongs in a mental institution. Fellaini can be his male nurse.

SteveJ

Scout
Mrs Vangle would kill him if he took the job. And besides, LVG's pride wouldn't stand for what is effectively a demotion in favour of another manager.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Whatever the club decides it is. There's no set job description.
The point is how does we know if x is good for the job if we dont even know what job he'll be doing.

In this case lvg, would him being a dof hampers mourinho? Mourinho is a good enough manager to hold his own, having a dof works for lesser manager.

Imagine a dof above saf and it's probably doomsday

diarm

Yeah, Mou as a manager and LVG as DOF...That wont affect either's ego at all....
Don't worry, we can sign Ibrahimovic as captain and Donald Trump as kitman to balance things out. Drumpf brings the added bonus of constructing an excellent free kick defence as well.

JoaquinJoaquin

Don't want him anywhere near the club after Summer. We already have one manager lingering around and that has been part of our downfall, So we definetly don't want another one behind the scenes.

Jacob

The only credentials I can see are as the Director of Waste Management at OT. The guy is an utter idiot and has no qualities which make me think he should be anywhere near the footballing side of the club.
Way over the top, you must be like 12, either that or you have severe memory loss.

Rednotdead

The point is how does we know if x is good for the job if we dont even know what job he'll be doing.

In this case lvg, would him being a dof hampers mourinho? Mourinho is a good enough manager to hold his own, having a dof works for lesser manager.

Imagine a dof above saf and it's probably doomsday
Normally the DOF would be in place first, then he would be involved in appointing the manager so there wouldn't be a clash.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Van Gaal as DOF, Giggs as manager, Moyes as assistant?

Then we can have a full set of guys who have failed having another crack, lovely.

Spock

The break with Van Gaal has to be clean and thorough.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He's actually the worst DoF imaginable. Just read about his stint in charge at Ajax, and why Koeman and himself have remained best mates to this very day.