LVG: Man Utd is a commercial club, not like Bayern Munich.

ti vu

If you think that LVG makes this comment out of «bitterness» alone, then bless you.

Doesn't mean Bayern is some sort of altruistic experiment far removed from the taint of Mammon. But the difference he highlights is something that shouldn't be dismissed easily by United fans.

Bayern is a historically great football club run by football people (not saints or charity workers, they make a pretty penny from it all and some of 'em are feckin' crooks, but they're football people) - whereas United is run by people who don't know anything about football.

Is the above claim horribly wrong? Don't think so.
United manager at helm has great influence on how the club perform as a whole. He is supposed to be the football person, and the central of the club. Just because LVG failed his job then he thinks he can speak ungratefully about the club keep their thinking in giving more time than usual?

Edit: He basically the living example of the "hold me" joke. Want to control everything, but when thing gets out of hand starting to question why nobody stop him! Yet when there were people holding him back, he fell out with them all

Last edited:

Swift Football

Because our owners bought the club for money, they literally knew nothing about football. Also if you read until the end, I said that it wasn't black or white, you can put money at the top without neglecting football.
I read it, thats why i told you are contradicting with urself. YOu just 'assumed' our owners are neglecting football just because they are here for money. Tell me an owner of any football club who bought a club in last 3 decades and put football before money.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I read it, thats why i told you are contradicting with urself. YOu just 'assumed' our owners are neglecting football just because they are here for money. Tell me an owner of any football club who bought a club in last 3 decades and put football before money.
No I'm not assuming that the owners are neglecting football, I said that they are commercially oriented and that it doesn't necessarily means that we are neglecting football.

Kag

Don't be like David, Louis. Let it go.

There's a semblance of a point in there, mind you, albeit this thread had quite rightly laughed the Allianz and Hoeness out the room.

Drifter

American
Nothing wrong in what he says about United being all about making money and nothing new about it either.

cyberman

The right men at the club are football men so who cares if the business side are run by business people?
The manager is backed every time, what else do they need? Woodward to explain the fundamentals of a Christmas tree formation?

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
In his latest interview with sport bild

"I wanted to sign Hummels for Manchester United," Van Gaal told Sport Bild. "But because at that time he was coming out of a poorer season, we didn't do it in the end.
"I can confirm that I wanted Muller. But there was nothing we could do. FC Bayern made it clear that they would not sell him."

"Manchester United, who I last coached, is a commercial club," he added. "Totally different to Bayern. The bosses, like Karl Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness, are former players who know what they are talking about.
"Football is the most important thing, not money like it is now at United. That's why I love Bayern."

Van Gaal has criticised his successor for how he handled the respected former Germany captain.

“Schweinsteiger was older, of course, but not too old,” he told German daily Sport Bild.
“Still, his body was not able to keep up with the high demands of Premier League.

“Bayern sold him to us as fit player but, in reality, physically he had reached the end.
“How Mourinho treated him after me, Schweini did not deserve this.
“But it also explains how things were with Schweinsteiger.
“It’s a shame because he is a player like Luis Enrique, Mark van Bommel or Philipp Lahm, a character always present on the pitch.”
I guess he was too old Louis.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Considering he always kept Falcao on the bench and the narrow formation he was playing for the majority of the first season didn’t suit a winger like Di Maria, you’re probably right.

You could argue none of his signings have been proper successes.
The funny part is that he complained before Di Maria was signed that he didn’t have a winger like Di Maria in the squad to focus on wing play, and then proceeded to misuse the very player he had namechecked a few weeks earlier.

LVG was a charlatan and a chance, I absolutely despise that cnut.

Jaybomb

The funny part is that he complained before Di Maria was signed that he didn’t have a winger like Di Maria in the squad to focus on wing play, and then proceeded to misuse the very player he had namechecked a few weeks earlier.

LVG was a charlatan and a chance, I absolutely despise that cnut.
I honestly soured on him when he sold Chicharito for missing a penalty.

Then it came out that he “shall always play his captain regardless of how many goals Hernandez scores in his absence”.... what a load of rubbish. Basically told him he had a 1% chance of playing.... No wonder he got the sack.

RVP was the final straw. It honestly felt like he betrayed him in a way. I’ll never forget how excited Van Persie was to have him at the club. The way they were interacting at the World Cup and then he just silently ships him off to Turkey. And it wasn’t like Van Persie had a terrible season in 14/15. He was decent.

He just hadn’t got the balls to drop Rooney, from what I can see. And it cost him.

led_scholes

Maybe someone else has already pointed out: LVG is criticizing United for being a team that cares only about money, while he admits that the "only related to football" Bayern sold us their captain and legend knowing that he was "dead" so they could save some money treating him as a piece of meat. While I agree that United is commercialized (more than my preference) lets not pretend that other teams like Bayern and Barcelona are holier-than-thou.

Grande

Can't disagree with much of what he says about United - but clearly Bayern are very much a commercial club too, and they tower over the rest of their league in size and power.

I don't know what he did to Schweinsteiger that was so awful? Van Gaal has said he was physically shot, Mourinho had to get rid and reportedly had a hard time doing so at the time. Basti himself holds no resentment, so I don't know why Louis feels the need to.

United wants to be the biggest club in the world. It has to make a lot of money to do that, and it does. Not sure what the problem is there.
He ousted Schweini from the squad and made him train with the u-23s. It’s not often done and not a nice thing to do with a seasoned player who does his best. Jose also apologized to Bastian for that, so he’s in line with LVG here. Now, I do think it was Van Gaal who sent Victor Valdez to train with the reserves, though ...

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Is it really criticism if he's telling the truth?

Not talking about the Schweinsteigger thing, I don't care too much about players whose powers have waned and should be moved on. He wasn't playing him much either.

ti vu

Parts of this image look photoshopped, the bucket of champagne for instance.
Now you mentioned it, I think you're spot on. The interviewer must have tried to hide their trace. They know LVG talked a lot under the influence of heavy alcohol. It's unethical to set him up, but the reaction is worth it, so they tried anyways.

Earth is round though

stevoc

I think he's more bitter than Moyes, Moyes seems to have at least moved on.
I doubt it mate he's only quiet at the minute as he's currently employed. I have no doubt he'll start moaning about how unfairly he was treated at United again the minute he gets sacked.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Yeah Bayern aren't a commercial club at all.....

Bayern have the highest commercial revenue in the 2018 Deloitte Football Money League. Bayern's commercial revenue is at €343.4 million (58% of their total revenue). In contrast, Bayern's Matchday revenue is lacking behind the top clubs at €97.7 million (17% of their total revenue).

stevoc

He didn't use di Maria properly. Yes di Maria was a jerk but lvg didn't use him properly. Kroos it was reported was close to join united under moyes so it was clear lvg who wasn't interested to bring kroos.
Kroos had obviously changed his mind long before LVG took over when working under David 'Community Shield' Moyes and playing for the european champions were his options.

No chance Van Gaal knocked back the chance to sign Kroos.

stevoc

No, but you kinda implied we were it to the same degree or rather, even worse. We are not. Of course we are an enterprise with profit in mind. But looking at how the past 10 years went, I think van Gaal is right when he implied our board is more competent when it comes to the footballing side of things. United hiring him is living testimony to that after all.
The same competent football board that also hired Van Gaal just a few years prior?

Van Gaal was the best coach available on short notice after we fired Moyes in 2014, just as he was the best coach available to Bayern on short notice in 2009 after you guys sacked Klinsmann.

ti vu

The same competent football board that also hired Van Gaal just a few years prior?

Van Gaal was the best coach available on short notice after we fired Moyes in 2014, just as he was the best coach available to Bayern on short notice in 2009 after you guys sacked Klinsmann.
Hit post too soon? :cool:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It was the only way we could compete with the shite you were serving up each week you fecking rusty old toilet.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Don't get the point he's making with Schweinsteiger. Readily admitting that he was past it and not capable of performing for the team, but Mourinho was somehow wrong to get rid of him?

van Gaal binned Januzaj, Hernandez, Nani, Rafael, Evans, Welbeck and even van Persie in rather unceremonious fashion, and was very quick to drop Herrera and Memphis, two of his own signings.

Mourinho might have been a bit harsh making Schweinsteiger train with the U23s, but at the end of the day, he wasn't in the plans for the senior squad so Mourinho made the decision to keep him away from it.

Red00012

LVG is still going on about Utd! He needs to get over it,he moans about JM yet he got rid of 2 players Jose wouldn’t have sold RVP and chicarito,how we could have done with even one of them that season.

stevoc

Bayern fan are not very fond of Klinsmann. You missed a chance to take a jab at them
Ah i get you now mate, yeah he was another inspired appointment by the competent football men.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Are there still people on here who defend him?

Dearie me
Course there are. People in here justifying his comments by saying actually he has a point. Yet if Moyes said the same thing, he'd be pilloried to death.

There will always be the LvG sympathisers on here because......well yeah, he made them laugh and was good TV. Forget the fact that he was absolute rubbish!

But I guess, I can't even say that on here now?

stevoc

If you think that LVG makes this comment out of «bitterness» alone, then bless you.

Doesn't mean Bayern is some sort of altruistic experiment far removed from the taint of Mammon. But the difference he highlights is something that shouldn't be dismissed easily by United fans.

Bayern is a historically great football club run by football people (not saints or charity workers, they make a pretty penny from it all and some of 'em are feckin' crooks, but they're football people) - whereas United is run by people who don't know anything about football.

Is the above claim horribly wrong? Don't think so.
They seem to know plenty about business though, and at the end of the day football clubs are businesses. If you owned a business worth billions who would you rather have running it, experienced business men like Woodward or Bryan Robson and Dwight Yorke?

I get what you are saying mate but you can hardly blame the glazers for not going down that route. When United was a PLC it wasn't run by ex-footballers either lets not forget.

parkthebuslads

It's easy to not be a "commercial club" when you have a domestic monopoly on talent and resources. I'm not sure they would be so...principled should a few billionaires rock up and start pumping funds into Dortmund etc.

cyril C

First of all it is not a fair comparison. BM can attract sponsorship from all the big German corporation, so their revenue stream is pretty much secured regardless. No need to mention that BM pay peanuts in luring players from competitors simply because they are BM. There is no big UK corporation any more, and no club in EPL can enjoy the monopoly status as that of BM. MU, has to compete with the Big 6 on sponsorships, on result, on players, and if you do miss out on CL our to a poor season....

I think only BM can afford to be pure football club, but then they also sack managers, so why should LVG be complaining....

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's right about us being a commercial club but literally every club is like us only. I still think it's commendable that inspite of other clubs of selling their stadium name rights, our stadium is called the Old Trafford.

LLMU

This is why LVG is consider a dinosaur. His philosophy and vision are totally out.
Football has change so much since the beginning of Premier League. Commercial side of the business will keep the club running. We have got no sugar daddy bankrolling the club.

cu3

Didn't Bayern sack Ancelotti very early in this season, after only losing 1 or 2 games in the league and an away leg to PSG? What's LVG on about? We certainly would have had more patience with a manager of Ancelotti's quality.

sugar_kane

LVG seems to have a chip on his shoulder about being sacked / mistreated but he failed miserably on almost every level in his final season and he had to go.

Not only that, the fans hated him by the end. I’ve never seen anything like it in 25 years of going to OT. Not even Moyes got booed like that. It was pure venom.

Marcky411

What’s wrong with having a commercial focus? We support our managers completely on the football side. I don’t really care what goes on apart from that, as long as they don’t sell Old Trafford’s naming rights.
There is nothing wrong having a commercial focus, but at Utd the commercial side has been overtaking the importance of the football at the club 10 fold. It is also not the first time it has been suggested that even in the recruitment of players they look at the potential commercial value and otherwise pay way over the value for the player to create the commercial hype. Should it happen and God forbid we don't make Top 4 then we too will be looking for a new manager just like the last two, showing just how important the commercial side has become. I would mean that they loose money, starting with the CL money and a percentage of the Adidas sponsor money. At that moment in time it won't matter what Jose is trying to build here or what he won in his time here, he will be out on his ear and that is the point LvG is trying to make in his own clumsy way.