Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Playing well doing what he does. Good deep defender, deals well with crosses and can hit anyone on the left touch line with ease.

But you still can't play a high line with him, so you can't play modern football. Not his fault, but we can't be building a system with him in it.

NLunited

He has looked solid, but he still is fourth choice.

DeGea+Maguire=disaster, he plays better with Onana who is very comfy on the ball.

Can we play a high line with Maguire? Maybe with Wan-Bissaka and Martinez there it can work.

Big Andy

Bloke
He absolutely was every bit as bad as he was made out to be, fair play to him that he has turned his form around but he was garbage for a good 18 months.
People were making out he was a William Prunier regen. He was still a good defender but he could play well enough, then do one meme worthy thing and that was what the narrative became.
Even at his worst he’s better than fecking Lindelof

tomaldinho1

Playing well doing what he does. Good deep defender, deals well with crosses and can hit anyone on the left touch line with ease.

But you still can't play a high line with him, so you can't play modern football. Not his fault, but we can't be building a system with him in it.
You can, Onana would just have to sweep aggressively high (which I actually thought he would do) and keep the ball a lot better as a team but seems we’re being a lot more risk adverse right now so Maguire is actually being used well. It’s clear the profile of CB we need to complement Martinez but for this season Maguire is probably now our top choice RCB as sad as that is. Those two as a pair as slow as feck though, we need to be buying at least one CB this summer.

Yakuza_devils

To me, Maguire should be starting CB now with Martinez when he is fit again. Varane is good but is too injury prone. Evan is 4th and Lindelof 5th choice.

Maguire has changed his game too. Now there is more forward passes with more urgency. He also start to press higher. His positioning also improved as you don't see him caught out of position. Most importantly he is excellent in the air in defence and attack, this is important for Man Utd defending set pieces.

Finally, his mental strength to come back from all these, he is the ultimate professional and it's very rare to have this nowadays with all the player ego. He is 1st choice CB for England and he was willing to fight for his place at Man Utd. He has my highest respect.

3KDré

I reckon Shaw partners him when back till Martinez is back. Shaw has the pace to cover and the left footedness. Martinez- Maguire I would not be a fan of though.

Rake

He's been good in the last 3 games but the team is not playing even remotely as it should be and makes we wonder if it isn't just us reverting to a style of play that suits him better.

Anyway, we can't ask for more at this point.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

In my eyes he will never be the kind of defender playing in a team fighting for titles in the top leagues. The better teams will keep dominating us and pin us back as we are too slow to play through the press comfortably.
That being said respect for his work ethic and right now he is among the more stable parts of our team.
Our biggest problem still is that our passing and movement in midfield and especially in the final third is just awful.

Walters_19_MuFc

So I’d say he’s now 3rd choice cb, Evans 4th and Lindelof 5th
More like Lindelof 3rd, Evans 4th and Varane 5th :lol:

Varane has been on the bench during the last few games (big games too) and Evans has started over him. Not sure what's going on. It's either he's not fully fit or he and ten Hag have had some sort of disagreement.

LInkash

From the player people wanted out the most to our best player this season so far.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was never as bad as people made out anyway. People jump on the social media cnuts and fan cammers opinions and run with it.
He had periods where he was every bit as bad as people make out. The first month or two of 20/21, most of 21/22, arguably the start of 22/23. However some people definitely did go overboard and say he was like that all the time, which was a bit over the top. Last season he was mostly ok. Not good, but also not particularly bad.

honirelandboy

DeGea+Maguire=disaster, he plays better with Onana who is very comfy on the ball.

Can we play a high line with Maguire? Maybe with Wan-Bissaka and Martinez there it can work.
He’s a head of Varane now . He’s playing well so have to give him credit. I think he’s lost a few pounds since last season and seems to be able to move better.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

He's obviously 1st choice RCB right now.

We didn't play a high line last season with Martinez and Varane.

MadDogg

I was going to say that your comment on the De Gea + Maguire combo was a bit harsh, but as I have mentioned before the one time Maguire really shone for us was around the period where we dropped De Gea and Henderson started most of the games. It's not perfect as his good form started a bit before we dropped De Gea, but it's still interesting and does make you wonder. He's also always looked good for England, and fairly good for his previous teams. So perhaps he and De Gea really did struggle as a combo (De Gea obviously was a keeper with an extremely limited style).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He is the exact same player he has always been if you ask me. Never as bad as the meme one, but not as good as he thinks he is.

You have to do all sorts of tactical and/or partnership gymnastics to avoid his shortcomings so can't possibly be a guaranteed starter, but he would always be a valuable squad player to bring on to protect a lead or throw the kitchen sink at the other team. Add rotation to that and he has never been the first I would have out of the door.

Woziak

He’s a head of Varane now . He’s playing well so have to give him credit. I think he’s lost a few pounds since last season and seems to be able to move better.
Totally agree, he’s been fair to good not great in last 4 or 5 games and was average against city but the whole team was.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So I’d say he’s now 3rd choice cb, Evans 4th and Lindelof 5th
That's very generous of you.

I was expecting both Casemiro and McTominay above him in the pecking order. And what about Højlund? He's a big lad - and fast.

Seriously, though - yeah. I agree. I never rated Lindelöf all that highly, certainly not above Maguire per default (as some seem to). As for L. versus Jonny...sure, why not. It's not like there's a chasm between 'em in terms of quality.

Stadjer

People were making out he was a William Prunier regen. He was still a good defender but he could play well enough, then do one meme worthy thing and that was what the narrative became.
Even at his worst he’s better than fecking Lindelof
Those compilations arent just one game where he does something meme worthy. Those compilations are multiple meme moments in multiple matches or even multiple memes in one game.

He played absolutely awful at that time. Gave the opponent a chance almost every match. He is doing well lately but that doesnt mean he wasnt a disaster of a defender for quite a period. He wasnt a 'good defender' at all during that period.

mintyred

With Martinez out Maguire is playing due to being our best CB on the ball. ETH hates Maguire playing as the left centre back so he has to start on the right and he seems to rate Evans on the left higher than Varane…
I dunno about that I wouldn't say he's any better than Lindelof on the ball, but he is better in the air and less fragile.

mintyred

That's very generous of you.

I was expecting both Casemiro and McTominay above him in the pecking order. And what about Højlund? He's a big lad - and fast.

Seriously, though - yeah. I agree. I never rated Lindelöf all that highly, certainly not above Maguire per default (as some seem to). As for L. versus Jonny...sure, why not. It's not like there's a chasm between 'em in terms of quality.
Lindelof is a poor centre back and Maguire has a higher ceiling. Lindelof doesn't get the hate Maguire does because people forget he's there. He's been at the club a long time now but he's be forgotten instantly when he leaves with his reputation in tact.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Its hard not being happy for a guy turning it around after being relentlessly bullied by opposition and a selection of the clubs own fans.

MadDogg

Maguire is infinitely better on the ball than Lindelof who hardly ever passes the ball forward. The only thing more passive than Lindelof’s passing is his defending.
Nah, Lindelof is better at passing up through the centre of the pitch, both on the ground and his long ball over the top. In saying that Maguire was actually doing the former quite well against Fulham, and Lindelof hasn't been doing the latter much lately. What Maguire has always been very good at and which has really opened some teams up at times is his long diagonal ball out to the left.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Lindelof is a poor centre back and Maguire has a higher ceiling.
I would say, in the interest of avoiding hyperbole, that Lindelöf is a mediocre CB at the highest level (and yes, United still play at the highest level even if we aren't playing particularly well).

United shouldn't have any decidedly mediocre players on our books, so - yes, we shouldn't have Lindelöf. He should move down a level, where he would be good (enough).

Maguire, by comparison, isn't actually mediocre. He's potentially good at the highest level, but very much flawed (and clearly not great).

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Nah, Lindelof is better at passing up through the centre of the pitch, both on the ground and his long ball over the top.
Nah. Lindelof is in the bottom 25th percentile for progressive passes. His highest rate since joining the club is 67th percentile 5 years ago - a rate still lower than Maguire’s lowest over the last 5 years. The only on the ball quality he excels at is his regular high pass completion rate - because he constantly passes the ball sideways to his CB partner who has the responsibility for trying to play it forward. Maguire has always been better on the ball than him as any look at their passing stats clearly shows - for example Maguire 4 seasons ago was in the 95th percentile for both progressive passing and ball carrying and the year after the 94th percentile.

Gavinb33

i'd argue he has probably been our player of the season so far (this doesnt say a lot for the rest of them), i find it hard to think of anyone who has played as consistently well as him over a stretch of games, you can definetly argue against the level of opposition but then the rest of them played in those games as well

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Nah. Lindelof is in the bottom 25th percentile for progressive passes. His highest rate since joining the club is 67th percentile 5 years ago - a rate still lower than Maguire’s lowest over the last 5 years. The only on the ball quality he excels at is his regular high pass completion rate - because he constantly passes the ball sideways to his CB partner who has the responsibility for trying to play it forward. Maguire has always been better on the ball than him as any look at their passing stats clearly shows - for example Maguire 4 seasons ago was in the 95th percentile for both progressive passing and ball carrying and the year after the 94th percentile.
Glad someone brought some actual stats to this. Social media and eye test punditry is doing my fecking head in

Chumpsbechumps

Fair play to Maguire, making a monkey of an awful lot of the morons who have been giving him so much stick.

He’s shown some amount of character recovering somewhat from all the abuse he’s received. Also playing on after a couple of knocks when we have many “better” players who will take a couple of games off for far less.

It’s ironic that he’s showing the kind of character and workrate that most of us would wish the rest would show.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Fair play to Maguire, making a monkey of an awful lot of the morons who have been giving him so much stick.

He’s shown some amount of character recovering somewhat from all the abuse he’s received. Also playing on after a couple of knocks when we have many “better” players who will take a couple of games off for far less.

It’s ironic that he’s showing the kind of character and workrate that most of us would wish the rest would show.
:nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

You've completely Harry Maguire'd your smartass response there.

FerociousCorgis

He's been good in the last 3 games but the team is not playing even remotely as it should be and makes we wonder if it isn't just us reverting to a style of play that suits him better.

Anyway, we can't ask for more at this point.
think this is a good viewpoint. He has been playing well in the way he is being used, but at the same time the team overall sure as hell aint playing in the way it needs to going forward. A smart club would use this time to build his value back up for a transfer, but honestly i fully expect our club to hand out some ridiculous contract extension any minute now.

Status
Not open for further replies.