Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrion

Besides the self glorifying part, the rest of what he says are fine? In fact it suggests he will consider leaving the club for more regular football?
I find his comment about not having enough game time surprising. It was obvious ETH wanted him to leave but he didn't. The chat he's talking about having should have been had months ago.

Crashoutcassius

I find his comment about not having enough game time surprising. It was obvious ETH wanted him to leave but he didn't. The chat he's talking about having should have been had months ago.
will fish would be playing CB if he left. ETH wanted him to go if we had a replacement which is a massive if. we need him and ETH is childish enough to let a player go out of anger or emotion. He adds to our depth now and we are lucky for that

cyril C

If he wants regular football, he would/should have taken a pay cut and sign up with Westham, who even promised him Club captain. All BS to me, he just want his 180K, which no-one is stupid enough to hand out.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I agree with you, it is better for everyone if Maguire leaves.

However, I am just pointing out the obvious: He and McT were the main reasons we won this past game. I think this is extremely positive and shows good character and we should recognize this.

I can imagine that a lot of people, if their boss did not like them, would be disheartened and would not try very hard to do their jobs correctly. It was a positive surprise for me that those two, Maguire and McTominay, gave us the win.
And the CAF agreed because Maguire got the highest rating in the Match Thread

Tyrion

will fish would be playing CB if he left. ETH wanted him to go if we had a replacement which is a massive if. we need him and ETH is childish enough to let a player go out of anger or emotion. He adds to our depth now and we are lucky for that
I think we wanted him out to get a replacement. The replacement likely would have been no good but not as bad as him.

Gasolin

If he wants regular football, he would/should have taken a pay cut and sign up with Westham, who even promised him Club captain. All BS to me, he just want his 180K, which no-one is stupid enough to hand out.
West Ham didn't agree a fee with United so Maguire was never in a position to even take a pay cut and sign. That was clarified already.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Considering the games he was trusted to start in where against teams in the lower half of the league or cup games. The games we lost with him such as the Sevilla game in the Europa league was partially down to him. I admire his commitment to staying to fight for his place but the sooner he leaves the better and had the chance to do so in the summer but greed took over. I’d say Southgate has told him, either play every week or you won’t be in the international team.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
West Ham didn't agree a fee with United so Maguire was never in a position to even take a pay cut and sign. That was clarified already.
They agreed a fee of 30m but United didn’t want to pay Maguire 6/7m to exit the contract.

Lj82

I suspect that in his mind he is trying to counter the narrative that he might be willing to stay (and not play a lot) for the sake of money.
Oh well, i'm not too bothered about his comments tbh. Think that the club should sell him asap, but also ok with him playing in view of the injury crisis the club is facing

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How the mighty have fallen to have bitchslapped by Harry fecking Maguire.

If the club has a spine they'd sent him to the reserves. Take a few pts lost if you must, make a point that you dont talk shit or you're out.

Highest win % what whatever the feck that was

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Someone never did well in stats I see.

Sample bias Harry; meaning you're win rate is high bc the manager can't trust you to play against anyone half decent.

Play against Wigan in the cup and win doesn't mean you're better than Varane, or Lica or Lindelof oh and Shaw at CB.

Wish we just took whatever west ham were offering and paid him the difference.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The media narrative around ridiculing Maguire's completely reasonable response is a pathetic reflection of how morally corrupt reporters can be.

I mean what is he expected to say? That he is happy to sit on the bench? He made the decision to stay at United to fight for his place and if that isn't working out he will have to speak to the club.

And he has every right to 'pat himself on the back' - I mean how else is one expected to build some positivity when the entire footballing world has been critical of his past performances and rightly so.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
The media narrative around ridiculing Maguire's completely reasonable response is a pathetic reflection of how morally corrupt reporters can be.

I mean what is he expected to say? That he is happy to sit on the bench? He made the decision to stay at United to fight for his place and if that isn't working out he will have to speak to the club.

And he has every right to 'pat himself on the back' - I mean how else is one expected to build some positivity when the entire footballing world has been critical of his past performances and rightly so.
Their desire to remove him from the England squad has been persistent, and they seem content with orchestrating behind the scenes, allowing United fans to criticise him. This approach allows them to distance themselves and place the responsibility for his performance solely on us, while overlooking their own behaviour in this situation.

Bondi77

Great attitude to have and I wish more at the club had the same.
Lucky we never sold him as it is looking like Varane is going to miss even more games this season than he has in the past two which is absolutely shocking!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I saw Harry Maguire at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
:lol:

Strats

Do you think he arranged the presser?

This your first week supporting football ?
What? I believe he spoke to the media, yes. Not the first time he’s done this.

Feeling big throwing out insults are you? Have a nice weekend.

SteveCoppellFan

Mr Maguire does not help himself, his actions on or off the pitch tends to bugger things up for himself.

crossy1686

career ending
Sounds like he’s talking himself up to get a move to be honest. Don’t think he’s making a claim to start for United or anything otherwise he wouldn’t follow that statement up with ‘I’ll have to talk to the club’.

RoyH1

Take less money on your next job and you can leave in the winter break Harry. It's not that hard.

Idxomer

Calling it "my win percentage" is a big yikes.

There are too many individuals in the squad which reflects in the way the team plays.

Craig Ward

Find this comment a bit odd from Maguire.

ETH has made it clear that Maguire wouldnt be a regular starter and took the captaincy off him. Maguire only starts if we have zero options. Even Shaw has played at CB.

Maguire is a great character and professional, and I admire his commitment to want to stay and fight etc, but he's not getting regular game time here and that's been obvious to everyone bar himself for a long time.

It's a complete needless "state the obvious" statement from Maguire. It's not going to achieve anything or change ETH's mind one bit.

Maguire has been decent but he's ultimately not going to reclaim his place and has never been good enough for us. Move on

Pickle85

Take less money on your next job and you can leave in the winter break Harry. It's not that hard.
We didn't even agree a fee for him so it's not like that was even an option. I don't rate Maguire but it's a bit sad that our fans are using anything he says, no matter how innocuous, to jump on his back. As @Valencia Shin Crosses said earlier, he's probably better off just not speaking at all because he will get it in the neck either way but from his perspective he's probably keen to burnish his credentials so that he looks attractive to other clubs.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Maguire has been professional. The issue is Man Utd refused to pay him off. so nothing changed.
That is literally all there is to it.

He's perfectly entitled to say he wants to play football, but understands he needs to earn the right to play, which is literally all that he's said.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Find this comment a bit odd from Maguire.

ETH has made it clear that Maguire wouldnt be a regular starter and took the captaincy off him. Maguire only starts if we have zero options. Even Shaw has played at CB.

Maguire is a great character and professional, and I admire his commitment to want to stay and fight etc, but he's not getting regular game time here and that's been obvious to everyone bar himself for a long time.

It's a complete needless "state the obvious" statement from Maguire. It's not going to achieve anything or change ETH's mind one bit.

Maguire has been decent but he's ultimately not going to reclaim his place and has never been good enough for us. Move on
TBF Martinez is out for half the season and Varane is only ever a few weeks away from a spell on the sidelines, and Shaw if he was fit atm would be needed at fullback, so he probably fancies his chances of getting a run of games and there's half a chance he will.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Maguire's words remind me of my company attitude. Whenever we report to HQ the power point is full of green (positive) numbers even if the actual results are shit. We haven't met the monthly target is sales? So what we reduced holiday accrual by x%. We failed to meet the Sales Deduction target? At least we improved NPS.

tomaldinho1

The irony of him having a good win % BECAUSE he plays once a month should not be lost on anyone

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The irony of him having a good win % BECAUSE he plays once a month should not be lost on anyone
If he wasn't on the pitch in our last game, we wouldn't have won.

I'm not saying I think he's good enough but there is quite a bit more of an irony in "supporters" making up rubbish or twisting comments/facts in order to have an excuse to slag off their own players/team.

tomaldinho1

If he wasn't on the pitch in our last game, we wouldn't have won.

I'm not saying I think he's good enough but there is quite a bit more of an irony in "supporters" making up rubbish or twisting comments/facts in order to have an excuse to slag off their own players/team.
He was actually good against Brentford - doesn't take away from the fact the reason his win rate is high is because he's a 3rd or 4th choice these days and won't play tough games unless there are injuries.

Rossa

I thought he was good against Brentford, but he's not doing himself any favours, is he? What about just keeping his mouth shut and proving his doubters wrong? Instead he annoys people, which will result in them finding mistakes and faults as soon as they present themselves - and they will.

Doesn't he have a communications consultant that he could benefit from? If so, sack him and get another.

Craig Ward

TBF Martinez is out for half the season and Varane is only ever a few weeks away from a spell on the sidelines, and Shaw if he was fit atm would be needed at fullback, so he probably fancies his chances of getting a run of games and there's half a chance he will.
Completely irrelevant point really.

Maguire is, and has been for some time, 4th choice CB. He is firmly behind Martinez, Varane & Lindelof.

He is never going to be a regular starter for us. If Martinez and Varane continue to be injured, then the club go and buy a brand new CB. That's where Maguire is. He is never fitting into a regular 1st choice CB under ETH - ever.

So he can play when we have injuries or leave. His game ratio is actually a lot higher now than expected due to this injury crisis - even Evans is playing WAY more than we would have wanted.

If Maguire wants more game time, his only option is to leave.

He wants to play, the club don't want him to stay. It's a simple solution to resolve this

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think this is extremely positive and shows good character and we should recognize this.
Yes, sure - I agree.

It should be taken as evidence that those players (no matter what we think about them in a wider context) clearly aren't as bad as some people think (or pretend).

They're good players and have proven themselves at the highest level. The people on here and elsewhere who either think or pretend to think these players are genuinely shit are idiots or WUMs.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Some of his passing out from the back against Brentford was really good. Unpopular opinion of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.