Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
That's what Google is for, right? To check these things? So it looks like a case of he said, he said, but I suppose people will pick a side. I don't really see why Maguire would lie about it but then I don't see why moyes would either.
Maguire is a bizarre character, timings of his outputs is always questionable, the ear cuppings after scoring for England against Albania after having a torrid time for United and the team performing poorly, same again with this interview and chat about playing once a month.

He should have came out and had a chat with the club in the transfer window about the rumours/bids whatever the truth is and had it all settled. Even when the pay off was being mentioned everywhere he should have clarified that back then or in this interview. Personally I believe Moyes over Maguire as ETH would’ve came out with a response about talking about players under contract or false statements about bids accepted.

We even held back on Amrabat thinking the money from Maguire would fund it and possibly a defensive replacement. In a strange way I’m glad he stayed until January at least as we are so short of defenders at the minute and he did have a good game against Brentford. In January I do hope he leaves for his and Uniteds personal interests.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
All that quote says to me is that he didn’t get his payoff and wasn’t leaving. Clubs agreed a fee between themselves and the dispute over who was paying Maguire 6/7m was the sticking point. He won’t come out and admit that was the reason it fell through.
David Moyes confirmed the bid was accepted back in August and personal terms were being discussed.

"I wouldn't talk about players at other clubs, but what I can say is yes, we've had a bid accepted from Manchester United," Moyes told his press conference on Friday. "But while he's not my player, I don't think it's my place to discuss him really."

Maguire had the chance to leave and the pay drop from United to West Ham was the sticking point. Maguire even said in September that “we didn’t come to an agreement” with United. So yes on your point it wasn’t that advanced is true, the hold up was Maguire not agreeing an exit fee. If he wanted to leave for West Ham he had the opportunity to do so. The clubs agreed a fee, it’s over to the player and his agent from that point onwards to agree terms.
I think Moyes was a little hasty in stating a bid had been accepted.
Ten Hag stated Maguire was available to play for United the same weekend Moues said that, that's despite apparently a bid having been accepted.
Something which wouldn't happen, as the accepting club would never put a transfer in doubt should that player get injured.

Maguire is also stating that the opportunity was never that far advanced as well.

I guess we will never really know for certain, but from the situation that played out, what Maguire has been saying and what Ten Hag said at the time, I'm willing to believe Maguire, that things were never as advanced along as what some of the stories suggested.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It’s funny reading posters who’ve slated Sancho for responding to direct criticism come to the defence of a former captain who, in the time of his captaincy & now, chooses to talk about how good he is in spite of the car crash the club is currently in the midst of.

This was the man in charge of leading the dressing room for the best part of the last half decade & everytime he opens his mouth it’s to talk about how good he is/has been.

I lost count of how many times Bruno & Shaw had to come out after one of his disasterclasses because he rarely spoke after poor performances.

He’s the epitome of what people claim is wrong with this squad. Whether you think he’s a good or bad defender is moot at this point, the fact the club is/has been underachieving whilst he’s been here & he’s talking about his win percentage says everything we need to know about him.
Bruno hasn't spoke after all of his/the teams disasterclasses so far either.

Incomparable to Sancho who has chosen to give up and attack the manager instead of standing up and fighting for his place.

Pickle85

It’s funny reading posters who’ve slated Sancho for responding to direct criticism come to the defence of a former captain who, in the time of his captaincy & now, chooses to talk about how good he is in spite of the car crash the club is currently in the midst of.

This was the man in charge of leading the dressing room for the best part of the last half decade & everytime he opens his mouth it’s to talk about how good he is/has been.

I lost count of how many times Bruno & Shaw had to come out after one of his disasterclasses because he rarely spoke after poor performances.

He’s the epitome of what people claim is wrong with this squad. Whether you think he’s a good or bad defender is moot at this point, the fact the club is/has been underachieving whilst he’s been here & he’s talking about his win percentage says everything we need to know about him.
Yeah, the two situations aren't remotely comparable.

Hughes35

No one forced him to stay though.

Yes collecting his wages is his right. Others also have the right to voice their displeasure
Correct.... and nobody would be forcing him to leave. He has a contract and can stay or leave, his choice.

He hasn't done anything wrong.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yeah, the two situations aren't remotely comparable.
Is that because one player threw his dummy out the pram because he was directly critiqued whilst the former club captain likes to go on international duty & tell the world how good he is at club level despite multiple years proving he really isn’t?

Had this been the first time we’d heard these comments from him then fine but it’s to a point where it’s systematic & causes further unnecessary conversation around the club. That & the facts are his lofty praise for himself are in stark contrast to the performances & results of the club when he has played, you know in meaningful games as a consistent starter under OgS & Ralf.

Suppose you’re right, the contrast in the reactions to both situations aren’t remotely comparable. In spite of both players speaking out, one on multiple occasions.
Incomparable to Sancho who has chosen to give up and attack the manager instead of standing up and fighting for his place.
Funnily enough I thought we lived in a world where you can criticise Sancho for being a sulky flop & also critique Maguire for being a self-centred underperformer.

Maguire stays on the fringes of the squad [fighting for his place] then mouths of whenever he’s away from it. You’re right, it’s not comparable to Sancho who has been banished [understandably so] because it’s far more incendiary.

Pickle85

Is that because one player threw his dummy out the pram because he was directly critiqued whilst the former club captain likes to go on international duty & tell the world how good he is at club level despite multiple years proving he really isn’t?

Had this been the first time we’d heard these comments from him then fine but it’s to a point where it’s systematic & causes further unnecessary conversation around the club. That & the facts are his lofty praise for himself are in stark contrast to the performances & results of the club when he has played, you know in meaningful games as a consistent starter under OgS & Ralf.

Suppose you’re right, the contrast in the reactions to both situations aren’t remotely comparable. In spite of both players speaking out, one on multiple occasions.

Funnily enough I thought we lived in a world where you can criticise Sancho for being a sulky flop & also critique Maguire for being a self-centred underperformer.

Maguire stays on the fringes of the squad [fighting for his place] then mouths of whenever he’s away from it. You’re right, it’s not comparable to Sancho who has been banished [understandably so] because it’s far more incendiary.
You seem to pick the weirdest players to defend. You were also in Greenwood's corner, from memory.

At its core: yes, to your first paragraph. That shows exactly how different the two situations are. It also doesn't take into account Sancho's dubious attitude, tendency to go missing, poor form, and the fact that he's now essentially gone on strike by not knuckling down and apologizing for directly criticizing the way he's been handled.

Maguire's comments are completely innocuous when set against Sancho's.

Re the contrast to the reactions to both situations: are you trying to imply that there are other, more nefarious reasons that people are criticizing Sancho more in this particular situation? If so, what are they?

AFC NimbleThumb

You seem to pick the weirdest players to defend. You were also in Greenwood's corner, from memory.
I’m not ‘defending’ Sancho nor did I ‘defend’ Greenwood.

No point furthering the conversation if that’s your starting point, my post literally says Sancho has ‘understandably’ been banished from the squad, if that constitutes defending a player to you then we’re that far apart in this discussion I don’t have the will to bring us any closer.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Edit: I also call Sancho a sulky flop & say he threw his dummy out the pram. Top notch defence of the player there.

Now back to Maguire telling the world how great he is. . .

Pickle85

I’m not ‘defending’ Sancho nor did I ‘defend’ Greenwood.

No point furthering the conversation if that’s your starting point, my post literally says Sancho has ‘understandably’ been banished from the squad, if that constitutes defending a player to you then we’re that far apart in this discussion I don’t have the will to bring us any closer.

Have a wonderful Saturday.
Likewise.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I think Moyes was a little hasty in stating a bid had been accepted.
Ten Hag stated Maguire was available to play for United the same weekend Moues said that, that's despite apparently a bid having been accepted.
Something which wouldn't happen, as the accepting club would never put a transfer in doubt should that player get injured.

Maguire is also stating that the opportunity was never that far advanced as well.

I guess we will never really know for certain, but from the situation that played out, what Maguire has been saying and what Ten Hag said at the time, I'm willing to believe Maguire, that things were never as advanced along as what some of the stories suggested.
So why disbelieve what Moyes said over what Maguire is saying, it was widely reported a bid was accepted and personal terms being discussed, again only contact and wages can be discussed after a bid was accepted. ETH should have came out and said about players being talked about by other managers and
eing accepted if it was false.

I know clubs sound out players and agents and gauge interest in moving but talking numbers is tapping up players.

ETH even said he is happy Maguire is still here after the Wolves game.
Fabrizio Romano has been saying about the bid accepted as well on his insta thread about Maguires latest comments from 3 days ago. I appreciate Maguire says it wasn’t agreed between clubs but I think that’s more to do with the pay off and who was paying it rather than the actual bid that was accepted.
I do accept though that no one can say for certain

OrcaFat

fixed that for you :lol:

Also - Sweeden, Ireland, Poland, Ukraine, Hungary, Albania, San Marino. Not many world beaters; I mean, the most challenging opponent England had with Maguire on the scoresheet is arguably Scotland :lol:

Lastly, he's a CB, scoring isnt a key attribute here. I dont mind him trying - i dont think any UTD fan has an issue with that. It's the comments that get most of us. He still acts as a world class CB, he is at best a serviceable player that makes similar money to Van Dijk and more money than the likes of Ruben Dias and Walker. I mean count your f****g blessings son!
Yeah but why do you care what he says? He’s not very articulate but what he’s saying is not really inaccurate or surprising. It won’t make EtH select him if he’s not justifying his place if that’s what you’re worried about.

The outrage here, at a few benign remarks, is daft to say the least. Imo it springs from the perception that Maguire is a rubbish player who somehow conned his way into all his England caps, presumably scored his goals by accident (yes he’s a defender but it doesn’t hurt if you contribute the other end, in fact you should - see Steve Bruce among others), and, as we often hear, any time he plays “well” it’s simply because the opposition was even more shit than he is. If you don’t think that’s ludicrous, I don’t know what to tell you.

m1tch

Seen a fair bit of mention of Maguire's England caps/goals, like it excuses him telling the world he's a great player. Not really achieved during a golden era of English centrebacks is it? The bar hasn't been this low at any point in the past. Add to that favourable fixtures in major tournaments, and you get both a distorted view of Southgate's abilities as a manager, and Maguire's abilities as a player.

OrcaFat

Seen a fair bit of mention of Maguire's England caps/goals, like it excuses him telling the world he's a great player. Not really achieved during a golden era of English centrebacks is it? The bar hasn't been this low at any point in the past. Add to that favourable fixtures in major tournaments, and you get both a distorted view of Southgate's abilities as a manager, and Maguire's abilities as a player.
Not really. What you are part of, as we all are, is a replaying of the same pointless to and fro between those who think Maguire is actually shit and those who don’t. The context is pretty much irrelevant.

Dominos

Wait, did a club have an offer accepted for him then? If so, who was that?
West Ham had an offer accepted. He didn't want to leave, he would rather be 5th choice CB. Which is his right, but don't then complain about lack of game time.

AFC NimbleThumb

Not really. What you are part of, as we all are, is a replaying of the same pointless to and fro between those who think Maguire is actually shit and those who don’t. The context is pretty much irrelevant.
What about the side that think Maguire is a good CB, who is not & never was up to the task of being a CB for a club of United’s aspirations, who acknowledge how well he’s played for England but find his whining about his situation at United whenever on international duty counterproductive for Manchester United?

There are not 2 sides to this discussion.

OrcaFat

What about the side that think Maguire is a good CB, who is not & never was up to the task of being a CB for a club of United’s aspirations, who acknowledge how well he’s played for England but find his whining about his situation at United whenever on international duty counterproductive for Manchester United?

There are not 2 sides to this discussion.
Well that falls into the side of people who don’t think he’s shit, I suppose. But, you see, it’s about how people react to these insignificant comments that belies how they perceive him. It’s difficult to react with outrage if you don’t, actually, think he’s shit (even if you want to chuck a platitude in there).

I say this because he was in the press conference and said the only things he could say. Anyone who thinks that’s whining probably has a similar degree of respect for him as the people who think he is shit. And if you talk about him as if he’s shit that’s what people are going to hear.

I’d go as far as to say the exaggerated reactions to every potential questionable statement or erring act Maguire makes are the main reason why perception of him is skewed.

I also don’t see how anything he’s done or said is remotely counter-productive to United. Sounds like he’s going to do his best to get back in the team, help the team when selected, but will talk to the club about a move if he’s not able to get regular minutes. No self respecting person would say otherwise. I just can’t understand the bizarre reactions to this (except as an opportunity for his detractors to pile on, again).

He’s also a United player and I find the way he is treated by his own fans to be obnoxious. I say bless his big daft head.

m1tch

Well that falls into the side of people who don’t think he’s shit, I suppose. But, you see, it’s about how people react to these insignificant comments that belies how they perceive him. It’s difficult to react with outrage if you don’t, actually, think he’s shit (even if you want to chuck a platitude in there).

I say this because he was in the press conference and said the only things he could say. Anyone who thinks that’s whining probably has a similar degree of respect for him as the people who think he is shit. And if you talk about him as if he’s shit that’s what people are going to hear.

I’d go as far as to say the exaggerated reactions to every potential questionable statement or erring act Maguire makes are the main reason why perception of him is skewed.

I also don’t see how anything he’s done or said is remotely counter-productive to United. Sounds like he’s going to do his best to get back in the team, help the team when selected, but will talk to the club about a move if he’s not able to get regular minutes. No self respecting person would say otherwise. I just can’t understand the bizarre reactions to this (except as an opportunity for his detractors to pile on, again).

He’s also a United player and I find the way he is treated by his own fans to be obnoxious. I say bless his big daft head.
Sorry, he could only say that his win percentage is ridiculously high? I don't think I've heard Big Sam going round talking about his ridiculously high win percentage as an international manager.

I'm quite sure he didn't need to follow up last time's "I've got nothing to prove .... England's top scoring defender" with "my win percentage is ridiculously high", when objectively he only gets on the pitch against bottom half sides or for the last 5 minutes to see out games.

If he's as good as he says then he should show it in training, give his manager no choice but to pick him, then show everyone watching when he's playing the games each week. Easier to talk about being great though than showing it.

It's fine to be not good enough to do the above, fine to be not suited to top 6 premier league football, and of course you don't have to admit that publicly, but what people are rightly flummoxed by is his insistence that he's great.

He gets a ridiculous amount of abuse and ridicule which is certainly not right, but he also doesn't help himself. Surely just keep your head down, skip media duties, focus on the games coming up, and do your best on the pitch. On the pitch is the only place he can answer his critics. At club level, last season showed him he isn't going to get many opportunities to get on the pitch at United, but he still didn't push for the West Ham move to rectify that.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
In a roundabout way saying that United's poor form is partly due to his absence from the team. He should just let his football do the talking.

norm87cro

He is obviously slightly delusional (really just a player that would obviously be happy and doing ok for himself at Crystal Palace or West Ham and I think deep down he knows this himself, unfortunately the international scene is a good way to price up your own value which I think he is doing currently) but having said that its worth noting something about our players and former ones:
1) He (with all his lackings) is actually managed better by Southgate then ETH and has 7-8 England goals to his name. Denying Englands success in 2018 and 2021 is pretty delusional and wrong at this point aldo this England team is stacked upfront but not at the back.
2) Sancho played well for BVB and we were all stoked to have him and now he has off field issues and is shit? He is probably going to do something similar to Di Maria (aldo Di Maria is better aka World class) and do well in his next club
3) Bruno started great and actually lifted the team when he first came in and now just looks like a pale version of himself alongside the deadwood. He is no Brian Robson but is not s... and would probably be great for Barca or City.
4) Casemiro is going to do a Matic and be called washed up pretty soon from being a reliable DM (which he was but so was Matic at one point). I actually saw that one coming and they both are very similar in lots of regards. Casemiro was just lucky to be born brazillian and to play for a club that must not get a red in Europe or anywhere for that matter. United is not so fortunate.
5) Onana went from being the most promising GK in Europe to bein s... in just a couple of months for us.
6) And finally Greenwood seems to be doing well for himself at Getafe. Not going to talk about the PC s... that is obviously present around here but before all that stuff he was doing well for us football wise and could have been competition for Rashford and Antony. Instead our brilliant visionary of a manager lets him go, fights with Sancho thus giving Rashford and Antony no worries about their positions in the starting 11. Its worth noting that our brilliant visionary has actually already criticised our promising young winger Garnacho publicly (the only player with a certain spark about him currently).

Thats a lot of players to be all held accountable individually. Whatever your opinion of every single player is dont nitpick me just because some of you have a different opinion on the mentioned cases. This is a very long list of players and they ALL CANT BE SHIT.
The point is that players obviously lose confidence (and combined with poor management) coming here after a while and the club has generally been run poorly and Maguire (limited classic british CB bought for a lot of money) is probably just the prime example of everything thats wrong at the club.

But he needs to f... of to a mid table english club and Lindelof should do the same and f... of to a mid table Euro one.

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I agree slabhead, you shouldn’t be playing once a month, that’s far too often.

m1tch

In a roundabout way saying that United's poor form is partly due to his absence from the team. He should just let his football do the talking.
You're right, that is what his comments infer, but I'm not convinced he can be credited with being clever enough to intentionally make that point publicly in such a subtle way not to piss off EtH.

OrcaFat

Sorry, he could only say that his win percentage is ridiculously high? I don't think I've heard Big Sam going round talking about his ridiculously high win percentage as an international manager.

I'm quite sure he didn't need to follow up last time's "I've got nothing to prove .... England's top scoring defender" with "my win percentage is ridiculously high", when objectively he only gets on the pitch against bottom half sides or for the last 5 minutes to see out games.

If he's as good as he says then he should show it in training, give his manager no choice but to pick him, then show everyone watching when he's playing the games each week. Easier to talk about being great though than showing it.

It's fine to be not good enough to do the above, fine to be not suited to top 6 premier league football, and of course you don't have to admit that publicly, but what people are rightly flummoxed by is his insistence that he's great.

He gets a ridiculous amount of abuse and ridicule which is certainly not right, but he also doesn't help himself. Surely just keep your head down, skip media duties, focus on the games coming up, and do your best on the pitch. On the pitch is the only place he can answer his critics. At club level, last season showed him he isn't going to get many opportunities to get on the pitch at United, but he still didn't push for the West Ham move to rectify that.
I think you read too much into his comments. He’s constantly hearing he’s shit from people who are, themselves, inconsequential, but cast it about the ether as if it’s some sort of fact “Harry Maguire is shit”. The lad is just defending himself, with good reason.

The more people say he is shit the more he will say he is great. He is pushed to this by the weight of exaggeration in the other direction. It is a classic polarised argument. If you say he’s a Sunday League player he will say he is Beckenbauer.

It means nothing.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Probably better here than in the other thread.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
:lol:. Proper England players start for their clubs, pal. Glass houses and all that.
I don't think he's said anything wrong. Booing your national team players is wrong.

JB7

:lol:. Proper England players start for their clubs, pal. Glass houses and all that.
I'd love to know what world Maguire isn't a "proper England player" in given that he's started every critical international for the last what, 5 or 6 years now and was rushed back from injury mid tournament in 2021 because they wanted him on the pitch.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't think he's said anything wrong. Booing your national team players is wrong.
I don't think Maguire should get booed for simply being picked, that is unfair. I think Henderson has every right to get booed though.
I'd love to know what world Maguire isn't a "proper England player" in given that he's started every critical international for the last what, 5 or 6 years now and was rushed back from injury mid tournament in 2021 because they wanted him on the pitch.
I was using it as a rhetorical device. I don't know what grounds he has for saying who a "proper fan" is, and was just highlighting how someone could use that exact same logic back at him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Unless it's for something unprofessional I don't think the reason matters.
What if they're booing him for supporting a sportswashing project?

I mean, you can agree or disagree with them - but as a matter of principle, would that be an acceptable reason for booing him?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What if they're booing him for supporting a sportswashing project?

I mean, you can agree or disagree with them - but as a matter of principle, would that be an acceptable reason for booing him?
Yeah, that's one of the reasons it's fine too.

But fans also booed Maguire in previous games.

johanovic

Perhaps it would be sensible of Maguire agents to advise on one thing..DO NOT SPEAK ...of course you can boo a player if you choose to

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Perhaps it would be sensible of Maguire agents to advise on one thing..DO NOT SPEAK ...of course you can boo a player if you choose to
How does that go again...

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Goes for most footballers.

(Most people, in general, too.)

jem

Yeah, that's one of the reasons it's fine too.

But fans also booed Maguire in previous games.
But it would appear fairly obvious that that is the reason why Henderson is being booed. Nobody respects a virtue-signaling celebrity who then makes a move that flies in the face of said virtue-signaling, all whilst pocketing obscene amounts of money (and then claiming afterward that money wasn't the motivating factor.)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But it would appear fairly obvious that that is the reason why Henderson is being booed. Nobody respects a virtue-signaling celebrity who then makes a move that flies in the face of said virtue-signaling, all whilst pocketing obscene amounts of money (and then claiming afterward that money wasn't the motivating factor.)
Fairly obvious, you'd think - yes.

In fact, you could say that if you don't understand this, you're a bit of an idiot.

Which again means that if Maguire and Southgate genuinely don't understand it, they're...idiots?

Sounds about right, to be honest.

Call me biased against footballers and/or people wearing three piece suits if you must, but I'm going to just say it: Maguire and Southgate are both very likely uninformed, living-in-a-bubble, up-their-own-arse idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.