Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
To be honest, many players who face such constant criticism from the fans, and even having the manager demote them, would lose all confidence and perform like shite.

Given all that, it is surprising that Maguire still tries hard and actually performs quite well, both for Man Utd and the NT. Perhaps he has a good character and we were too harsh on him?
His character was never under question , he's just not good enough.

IrishRedDevil

The teams he has played 90 minutes against this season and last:

Brentford x2
West Ham x2
Fulham x2
Crystal Palace
Sheffield United
Nottingham Forest
Everton
Leeds
Bournemouth
Brighton
Reading
Aston Villa
Charlton
Real Betis
Real Sociedad
Sevilla

Is it any wonder his win percentage is decent?
Good research. And my point exactly.

If we go back to starting him against the better teams, all the mistakes and loses will come flooding back.

Lentwood

I love the people popping up to say "sure we've won 15 of his last 16 starts, but look, most of those were midtable sides"...as if we're some kind of superteam and we don't regularly lose/draw against those sides!

For me - I'll say it, we're a better team WITH Harry Maguire than without him and we have been throughout his United career.

Stadjer

I love the people popping up to say "sure we've won 15 of his last 16 starts, but look, most of those were midtable sides"...as if we're some kind of superteam and we don't regularly lose/draw against those sides!

For me - I'll say it, we're a better team WITH Harry Maguire than without him and we have been throughout his United career.
That is just not true. We been at our best with Martinez and Varane. Before Martinez joined you might have had a point but not anymore.

Martinez might not win as many headers but Martinez at his very best does bring a lot more to the team. Varane at his very best isnt even in the discussion. A fit and playing at his best Varane is amongst the best in the league.

Denis79

He's the wrong type of player for how we want to play. He needs replacing eventually and isn't really suitable to be back up to Varane but hopefully he can do a decent job when we need him.
Agree we need to replace him but I also want him to do well while he's here.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts

Totally agree and it's good that people are going beyond the internet meme and realize a fact that stats support.

He's an international in one of the best NT in the world for a reason (as a foreign i tell you, England has been a superb team for a long time). He has some brain farts every now and then but overall he's a very good CB

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That is just not true. We been at our best with Martinez and Varane. Before Martinez joined you might have had a point but not anymore.

Martinez might not win as many headers but Martinez at his very best does bring a lot more to the team. Varane at his very best isnt even in the discussion. A fit and playing at his best Varane is amongst the best in the league.
Disagree but when it's such a rare thing it's irrelevant anyway. You can't build a defence around such an unreliable centre back.

Yakuza_devils

I hate to say this but it's a fact. Maguire is a valuable team player to have because of our injury prone Martinez and Varane. We are lucky he didn't go to West Ham. He put in 2 very solid game already.

AFC NimbleThumb

Last paragraph is damning praise if ever there was any.

Abraxas

Realistically nothing is going to change with Harry Maguire as far as suitability. He's been here long enough and showed his strengths and weaknesses enough to know that. He'll have some good games and better form at times but ultimately is a weakness within an attacking style of play. The only thing that will fluctuate a bit is whether he's making comical individual errors or not. Nobody does that every game, he just does it more than most - and the more you can protect him from difficult matchups the less likely it is and the more he'll build some confidence and have better outcomes.

If we get everyone fit and use him wisely he's an okay option to have. Just quite an expensive one if you do get everyone fit and firing because then he's not really good enough to feature. His profile and salary suggests he should really be a mainstay but he's not good enough for that.

Withnail

Such a strange point. ETH doesn't trust Maguire in big or important games is the point and besides when did we start counting win rates for individual players. It's a nonsense as it's a team game.

As for the last point I find that hard to believe really. rane/Martinez is far and away a better option than Maguire and anyone else.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
People are giving credit where it's due? So strange
The extremes of the past criticism and current praise are weird. He's gone from the worst player ever, or at least to don the shirt, to a solid squad option who was always better than Lindelof anyway.

Plus people were calling for him to be publicly humiliated and shamed are now apparently pleased for him. I know football fans are fickle, but the U-turn here is quite something.

Withnail

The extremes of the past criticism and current praise are weird. He's gone from the worst player ever, or at least to don the shirt, to a solid squad option who was always better than Lindelof anyway.

Plus people were calling for him to be publicly humiliated and shamed are now apparently pleased for him. I know football fans are fickle, but the U-turn here is quite something.
Are they really the same people? You can want him gone and still be pleased he's settled down and hasn't had a massive rick when playing for the team you support, though.

Although, I don't see the point of going overboard with praise. He hasn't changed as a player and he's been solid enough but look at the opposition.

edcunited1878

Squad player doing his job just like Lindelof is doing his. We've seen his ceiling and it wasn't good enough. Glad he did his job yesterday, but also, his first half was dodgy and his heading accuracy was poor which allowed Sheffield to win many second balls and transition towards our defensive half and final goal.

We're struggling for fitness and he's done his job as a squad player yet people are surprised?

We've seen what a very good defense needs to be like and United had the golden glove winner last year with many matches anchored by Shaw, Lisandro, Varane/Lindelof, AWB/Dalot.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I think it's pretty clear the kind of games that suit him. That suited him yesterday and he was excellent. In general terms, anytime a United player plays well, I enjoy it.

neon_badger

The game yesterday suited him, he wasn't being persistently pressed or pressured, he was dealing with lots of aerial balls which is probably his forte. If he starts against City I suspect it could be a different story. He has a place in this squad against the right opposition if Ten Hag stops being stubborn and starts rotating players more, if we ever return to having enough players to rotate.

Leftback99

Squad player doing his job just like Lindelof is doing his. We've seen his ceiling and it wasn't good enough. Glad he did his job yesterday, but also, his first half was dodgy and his heading accuracy was poor which allowed Sheffield to win many second balls and transition towards our defensive half and final goal.

We're struggling for fitness and he's done his job as a squad player yet people are surprised?

We've seen what a very good defense needs to be like and United had the golden glove winner last year with many matches anchored by Shaw, Lisandro, Varane/Lindelof, AWB/Dalot.
Our midfield failed to win second balls.

On the golden glove. Maguire started 5 of the 17 clean sheets last season. Only 3 of the 17 were against sides in top 8.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Are they really the same people? You can want him gone and still be pleased he's settled down and hasn't had a massive rick when playing for the team you support, though.

Although, I don't see the point of going overboard with praise. He hasn't changed as a player and he's been solid enough but look at the opposition.
Not sure it's the exact same people but the swingometer of the thread is probably higher than for any other player during the Caf's existence.
City will be the acid test- I agree on opposition quality.

Judas

Open to offers
I think it's pretty clear the kind of games that suit him. That suited him yesterday and he was excellent. In general terms, anytime a United player plays well, I enjoy it.
This sums it up nicely. I don’t think he’s the man for every game, but this is why a squad is important.

Mmm-Qatarian

I really think that having the captaincy taken away from Maguire has done him the world of good.

I'll fully admit I don't think I fully appreciated how much of a mistake it was for Ole to give him the armband. I'm not saying this because I necessarily think he lacks the personal qualities to be the captain (that's difficult for any of us to judge), but he just didn't have the credit built up amongst the fanbase to make it work. He was already under massive amounts of pressure to perform owing to the record fee that our masterful negotiators paid for him, and the captaincy only amplified it further.

I maintain that had Maguire's price tag been around 50 million and had Ole not given him the captaincy, the discourse around him would be quite considerably different. People forget that prior to his move to United, Maguire was actually one of the most well-liked members of the England squad. The price tag combined with the captaincy, neither of which were his blunders, unfortunately set the expectations far above what he l was ever going to be capable of meeting. I think that has meant that people are often incapable of seeing Maguire for what he is, which is a pretty solid option at the back for a Premier League side.

edcunited1878

Our midfield failed to win second balls.

On the golden glove. Maguire started 5 of the 17 clean sheets last season. Only 3 of the 17 were against sides in top 8.
It didn't help that his headers weren't accurate, that's a fact. He tried dirrcting towards his teammates but didn't come off. For someone as capable of him for headers and just the large surface area, his accuracy is poor. Just look at many of his headers from set pieces that are attempt on goal. Leaves you needing and wanting more.

So you proved my point in that many matches were anchored without him to win the golden glove.

Leftback99

It didn't help that his headers weren't accurate, that's a fact. He tried dirrcting towards his teammates but didn't come off. For someone as capable of him for headers and just the large surface area, his accuracy is poor. Just look at many of his headers from set pieces that are attempt on goal. Leaves you needing and wanting more.

So you proved my point in that many matches were anchored without him to win the golden glove.
No I proved that he played a fairly decent part in it. Only 4 less clean sheets than Martinez.

Leftback99

Fairly decent isn't 30% and is not comparable to something of more than half the time.

He has a place in the squad and played well yesterday. Let's not go overboard on Maguire praise.
Lets not go overboard about the golden glove achievement. 4 of Martinez's came against relegated Southampton and Leicester which Maguire didn't play in/start.

FerociousCorgis

I hate to say this but it's a fact. Maguire is a valuable team player to have because of our injury prone Martinez and Varane. We are lucky he didn't go to West Ham. He put in 2 very solid game already.
The problem is because he didn't go to west ham we couldn't afford to bring in a new cb, thanks to our shit leech owners. So it wouldn't have been get rid of maguire and bring nothing in. It would've been, I assume since you never know with our shit owners, bring in one of the cb targets we were linked with. So we could've moved off maguire and get someone in younger that fits how we want to supposedly play better

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really good game yesterday, a classic long ball sort of game and there's few better at dealing with that sort of approach.

He's in the team now, and his place to lose for me.
Definitely is ahead of Evans and should be Lindelof too unless he's in stink mode.

samlee86

He’s rewriting history here. Did he forget the brain fart that he had last season against Seville. Or the countless times every single striker in England beat him in a foot race.

We play City next week so will be interesting to see how cocky he is afterwards

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He typically plays versus rubbish teams and Cup teams though.
What's clear is that there's loads of gullible people who Sky are targeting with their dumb propaganda.

The 'stats' used are something I'd expect from the Tories come the next election.

Bert_

He’s rewriting history here. Did he forget the brain fart that he had last season against Seville. Or the countless times every single striker in England beat him in a foot race.

We play City next week so will be interesting to see how cocky he is afterwards
Has he posted on here attempting to rewrite his history? Must of missed that! He didn't seem very cocky during or post match either.

Lentwood

Such a strange point. ETH doesn't trust Maguire in big or important games is the point and besides when did we start counting win rates for individual players. It's a nonsense as it's a team game.

As for the last point I find that hard to believe really. rane/Martinez is far and away a better option than Maguire and anyone else.
How is it a strange point? People are saying the games we have won with Maguire at CB are "easy games"...that would be fair enough if it was Europa League Group Stage games or cup games against lower league opposition but that's not the case. These games have been against PL opposition - and unfortunately these days there are no easy PL games for United! We're just not that good!

In fact, this is not even about his last 16 games, across his entire United career our win percentage is significantly better with him that without him.

And...the point about big games...well, we get battered in those anyway! Imagine the reaction if he'd played in the 0-7 at Anfield or the 3-6 at the Etihad, this site would have gone down under the strain!

Anyway...he'll probably start vs City, we'll get battered and then people can go back to blaming him for everything

ForeverRed1

He has never given up or thrown his toys out the pram. He has been criticised massively but got his head down and done what is asked of him. That’s something you have to credit him for. Many have said he is brilliant in the dressing room and a good lad to have around, eth could be realising he needs players with his mentality and desire to play for United around him right now, but he genuinly seems to understand the meaning of playing for United . If he can get his first season form back where he played well and never missed a game, there is games in it for him. I like Harry (not my fave player and have criticised in past when warranted) but you have to give credit where it’s due. He doesn’t give up.

Sancho take notes.

ROFLUTION

The teams he has played 90 minutes against this season and last:

Brentford x2
West Ham x2
Fulham x2
Crystal Palace
Sheffield United
Nottingham Forest
Everton
Leeds
Bournemouth
Brighton
Reading
Aston Villa
Charlton
Real Betis
Real Sociedad
Sevilla

Is it any wonder his win percentage is decent?
Nice with some actual games. Maybe the point is that he's actually a quite good rotation player to save some of our better ones for the bigger games during a long and tiring/injury-plagued season.

He's an expensive O'Shea-type of squad-player that's for sure, but we don't seem to be able to sell him for a decent fee.

sugar_kane

He has never given up or thrown his toys out the pram. He has been criticised massively but got his head down and done what is asked of him. That’s something you have to credit him for. Many have said he is brilliant in the dressing room and a good lad to have around, eth could be realising he needs players with his mentality and desire to play for United around him right now, but he genuinly seems to understand the meaning of playing for United . If he can get his first season form back where he played well and never missed a game, there is games in it for him. I like Harry (not my fave player and have criticised in past when warranted) but you have to give credit where it’s due. He doesn’t give up.

Sancho take notes.
Agreed on all the above.

His recent public statements as well might seem very tone deaf but if that's what he needs to do to rebuild his confidence and improve his performances I couldn't care less.

He might have been woeful for most of the past couple of years but you can never fault his effort levels, which is more than you can say for a lot of our first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.