Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I love the people popping up to say "sure we've won 15 of his last 16 starts, but look, most of those were midtable sides"...as if we're some kind of superteam and we don't regularly lose/draw against those sides!

For me - I'll say it, we're a better team WITH Harry Maguire than without him and we have been throughout his United career.
It's good that you included that 'For me' in there to make it clear your whole post is an opinion based on hot air which is not supported any kind of logical or reasonable analysis, let alone an eye test of one of the most overrated players to ever play for this club.

Castia

Doesn’t like playing once a month… it was made clear by the club, fans and media that he should feck off in the summer but he feels like West Ham is beneath him

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
To be fair to him he’s been decent last couple of matches. MOTM last game. That can only be a good thing to keep teams interested and the price fairly high.

Lentwood

It's good that you included that 'For me' in there to make it clear your whole post is an opinion based on hot air which is not supported any kind of logical or reasonable analysis, let alone an eye test of one of the most overrated players to ever play for this club.
Of course its an opinion - which is also exactly what your post is.

My opinion is that we've treated Maguire disgracefully. I've never seen United fans abandon and turn on one of their own like we did Maguire.

In my opinion, he was made the scapegoat for all of our problems after OGS failed to implement the 'high line, higher press' system in his 2nd season proper. Any CB would have struggled in that chaotic environment, just like Varane and Martinez have this season.

And of the stats...well of course, it's very difficult to take two or more CBs and claim that one is definitively better than another based on stats, so it's always going to come down to opinions - but look at Maguire's record for England. Look at Maguire's record for United. We're statistically significantly better when he plays versus when he does not, over a sample size of more than three seasons.

Regardless, I'm here defending Maguire but I'm not even bothered about arguing exactly how good (or not) he is...my point is solely that those who have written him off, ridiculed him, turned him into a meme and booed him at OT have let themselves down - in my opinion. He's somewhere between a solid PL defender and a very good PL defender - to argue otherwise is just ridiculous, again, in my opinion.

Son

The way the internet has treated Maguire is a farce. He’s actually been super solid this season and to my eyes was last season too the few times he was called upon.

It’s almost like some of our fanbase held a grudge for things he said previously as captain and his form back in 2021.

Some of our fanbase tend to join in with opposition supports against certain players and it looks awful optically. Basically tanking your own players reputation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The way the internet has treated Maguire is a farce. He’s actually been super solid this season and to my eyes was last season too the few times he was called upon.

It’s almost like some of our fanbase held a grudge for things he said previously as captain and his form back in 2021.

Some of our fanbase tend to join in with opposition supports against certain players and it looks awful optically. Basically tanking your own players reputation.
Genuinely think we must have watched different matches because every time he played he was a liability and worst of all he’s incapable of playing out from the back so not only did it put us under more pressure but we also lost a major attacking dimension as almost all our other CBs are capable of progressive actions.

MalaysianRed7

While he might have his flaws, I don’t think we have a defender as good as Maguire in stepping out from the back and curtailing opposition attacks at its source when he’s at his best. He’s also got the 2nd best switch of play of any of our defenders aside from Martinez.

Very useful player, especially against the lesser teams as shown by his high win rate that he can’t go 2 seconds without mentioning. Not good enough to be a starter, but at his best, and I’ve said this phrase twice because he’s probably our worst player at his worst, he’s a good rotational option.

Yakuza_devils

This season I can't fault Maguire at all. We have our 2 main CBs injured Martinez and Varane. He stepped in and perform well for us. Especially when we won the last two games where he was one of the best player. He had to defend with Evans as a partner and a make shift right back while also with the off form Casemeiro.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Can't complain about that quote. Now just don't embarrass yourself against Alvarez.

Big Andy

Bloke
I’m made up for him. Hasn’t whinged or moaned, got his head down, trained well and pulled himself back into the team.

eire-red

Having watched the Beckham documentary, if puts into perspective the amount of mental fortitude it must have for guys like Maguire to step out on the pitch after that amount of abuse.

Well done to him for keeping at it in fairness.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
Post match interview, he just loves gassing himself up.
as he should. No one who has been through what that guy has been through would ignore an opportunity to up their stocks. If he stays or gets sold later on, it may come down to perception of mental fortitude rather than ability and lots of clubs today don't have that.

Yakuza_devils

This man shows tremendous mental strength. No player in the history have been constantly booed by his own fans but came back to perform so strong for his team.

He may leaves in Jan or end of the season but we can't fault Maguire for his professionalism and mental strength. Sancho has a lot to learn.

IMO, Maguire is a good squad player to have.

RedStarUnited

Use this momentum to generate value and sell him in January. Is what a well run club would do.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Of course its an opinion - which is also exactly what your post is.

My opinion is that we've treated Maguire disgracefully. I've never seen United fans abandon and turn on one of their own like we did Maguire.

In my opinion, he was made the scapegoat for all of our problems after OGS failed to implement the 'high line, higher press' system in his 2nd season proper. Any CB would have struggled in that chaotic environment, just like Varane and Martinez have this season.

And of the stats...well of course, it's very difficult to take two or more CBs and claim that one is definitively better than another based on stats, so it's always going to come down to opinions - but look at Maguire's record for England. Look at Maguire's record for United. We're statistically significantly better when he plays versus when he does not, over a sample size of more than three seasons.

Regardless, I'm here defending Maguire but I'm not even bothered about arguing exactly how good (or not) he is...my point is solely that those who have written him off, ridiculed him, turned him into a meme and booed him at OT have let themselves down - in my opinion. He's somewhere between a solid PL defender and a very good PL defender - to argue otherwise is just ridiculous, again, in my opinion.
Great post.

No doubt we overpaid for him, but we cant fault the player for the clubs incompetence in the market and during negotiations. Yes he played like shite for a long time after the whole Greece debale, but he was a key player during our best periods under Ole and has really stepped up now in the absence of Varane/Martinez

Cantonagotmehere

To be fair to him he’s been decent last couple of matches. MOTM last game. That can only be a good thing to keep teams interested and the price fairly high.
I have nothing against the guy, but still do not not think he is good enough to be a starter for us. Agree with the above, hope it helps his value and he moves on.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I have nothing against the guy, but still do not not think he is good enough to be a starter for us. Agree with the above, hope it helps his value and he moves on.
100% not good enough for us. I’m glad he’s playing decent though and helping us when he can. Be best for all parties when he moves on.

Yakuza_devils

Why the fans want to move him on if he can improve and get back his form? It was like Rashford scenario all over again.

Lindelof is not better than him and we have two injury prone first choice CBs.

El-Manos

Having watched the Beckham documentary, if puts into perspective the amount of mental fortitude it must have for guys like Maguire to step out on the pitch after that amount of abuse.

Well done to him for keeping at it in fairness.
Agreed. I’m not his biggest fan but he deserves props for this.

RedDevil@84

Why the fans want to move him on if he can improve and get back his form? It was like Rashford scenario all over again.

Lindelof is not better than him and we have two injury prone first choice CBs.
Because that is the only way you can get rid of average players. Lindelof needs to be in the market as well after this season.

USREDEVIL

While his words are sometimes annoying, he hasnt been a prick on the sidelines and when come in done a good job. I give him credit.

tomaldinho1

When he scores the winner in the CL final, slides on his knees, cups his ears on his massive head and the stadium bounces in delirium, the redemption arc will be complete.

tomaldinho1

We never sell when we can and then complain when we cant.
I have no issue with him these days. Didn't want to move and lose out on a lot of money and seems to have stopped the silly comments which were more misguided than out of order i.e Sancho, Ronaldo etc.

We can't be playing Evans/Lindelof as a CB pair and Maguire basically guarantees that this season.

Judas

Open to offers
If he continues to play well I’ve no problem with him whatsoever. He’s clearly doing what is needed of him to play. Do think he should have left in the summer, but I’m glad he’s putting a shift in now.

cpresc

It's quite impressive how he has come back with strength and confidence.

Honestly think that Beckham chat (and documentary) did him some good.

He looks like he believes in himself again all of a sudden.

Woodzy

He’s had like two good games to be fair… I’m not getting carried away just yet.

RuudtheRed

He is a decent backup centreback and has put in 2 MOTM performances in a row for sure. I would even go so far as to say he has been our best performing CB this season. However, I agree with the other posters that he is probably not the long term option we need. Even against Copenhagen in the first half, he gave the ball away in quite a dangerous situation and credit to Amrabat for getting back to stop the attack. I just feel he has that major mistake in him waiting to happen and his lack of pace can be a serious issue with how stretched we are defensively, but long may his good form continue.

Bondi77

He is a decent backup centreback and has put in 2 MOTM performances in a row for sure. I would even go so far as to say he has been our best performing CB this season. However, I agree with the other posters that he is probably not the long term option we need. Even against Copenhagen in the first half, he gave the ball away in quite a dangerous situation and credit to Amrabat for getting back to stop the attack. I just feel he has that major mistake in him waiting to happen and his lack of pace can be a serious issue with how stretched we are defensively, but long may his good form continue.
He may not be....but he seems to be a much more reliable option than Varane at the moment and lisandro was looking anything but impressive before he was injured.
I would like to see Harry and Luke as a CB partnership as we have strength and ball playing ability on both sides.

whitbyviking

Good attitude.
He actually appears to have taken his head out of his backside and done what needed to be done to salvage his career. We might never know what went on in his head but something caused a confidence hit and that snowballed into him becoming a meme. I believed the club should sell him just to rid itself of the circus, not just because he wasn't good enough. There was/is a decent back-up Premier League centre-back in there though, he's also far from the worst clown at the club these days, and this is evident with recent performances.

Still think he needs replacing, more for his own good than ours, don't see him being long term first choice and surely he must see himself now that he should move to do that, and can do so from a position of relative strength if this form continues.

He'll probably have his pants pulled down, score an og and get sent off vs City now I've come out and said this.

frostbite

Because that is the only way you can get rid of average players. Lindelof needs to be in the market as well after this season.
Right. I am sure we'll sell both. And then we'll replace them with two Dutch defenders who will actually be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.