Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

zenith

Jones & Smalling > Maguire & Lindelof
No, just no

The chuckle Brothers were a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention one or another was always it injured.

Let's give this partnership a little more time. Besides making some errors, they are also not helped by the fact that we have a negligible midfield and a very limited attack that almost never scores over a goal a game.

Obiorahking_

You guys have to give it time. I hated the fee we spent on Maguire but I've never seen a more impatient fanbase when it comes to CB's.

A-man

No problem mate. I don't think our defence is worthless, far from it but I don't think the balance is struck yet, and I don't think we're getting enough out of Maguire. I do think it is a bit unfair on him to buy him for 80m and then expect him to be quicker, or better 1vs1 for instance, or a huge leader. I never saw him as a leader, organiser and team player, more just a very good unit that plays his own game very well kinda like Smalling. The least we could do for him was to give him a partner with some pace to help him out initially.

Also I do not have faith in Lindelof, hate his style of defending and his passing out from the back is only slightly better than Smalling. He has it in him to pass himself out in a crowded area, but he does what Smalling does consistently anyways so there isn't any actual difference. Even Smalling does those things occasionally too. I don't think he'll ever change his defensive style, which I've come to hate. It is not what he does, it is what he don't do. He can't grab a hold of the game and it puts us under pressure, just sick of watching it. He even did the pass behind Maguire thing quite a few times the last game too, which is precisely what people twisted their panties over with Smalling. It never annoyed me with him because it doesn't really matter that much, it's just a sign he is weak on the ball when it matters but Smalling is just safe with it, not careless so never gave a shit. With Lindelof I do expect him to be a lot better than Smalling on the ball and he isn't, and his defensive side is weak. To top it off, he doesn't provide any sort of balance to get the most out of Maguire.

Simply put, get Smalling back and lets see how that goes before spending another 100m to replace Maguire or whoever.
We can't buy another defender now, but we can't keep playing with Lindelof when it doesn't work, and I never want to see Jones and Rojo either for two-three more years while we wait and hope Tuanzebe is good enough.
First I agree with some of your points on Maguire. I never saw him as the leader everybody is talking about. Leicester fans never seem to think of him as a leader. Don’t know where that reputation has come from.

I can enjoy defenders like Smalling, definitely, but I prefer CBs who play their way out of trouble, who can initiate counter attacks, who are comfortable under pressure. But that is to some extent depending on taste. Nothing wrong or right. I also believe Lindelof and Maguire are good partners. Of course there are some things that need to improve and some things that never will be great. But I am a strong believer that it takes two CB who are comfortable with the ball under pressure to benefit from it.

I don’t agree with you that Lindelof doesn’t work. The defence works. It’s not the problem. There needs to be big investments in midfield and attack. And I have also big doubts in Ole’s tactics as there seems to be no plan.

A-man

Exactly. This is why we need Tuanzebe or Bailly (if he can stay fit) to partner Maguire.
Athleticism number one is to stay out of injuries, which many explosive bicep training footballers seem to miss.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
When you spent big on a centre back then he should be your focal point of the back four. Harry Maguire has attribute to be the focal point. He's strong, good in the air, composed, very good with his ball playing ability. He has wow factor to play for Manchester United. His strength (his best attribute) will be benefit for the modern day of football.

Despite of some good strength, he also has weakness. His weakness is something we can cover especially with options we have which is pace. You don't play Lindelof next to him. You play Bailly or Tuanzebe.

Lindelof is basically a worse version of Maguire. Lindelof has no pace, so weak in aerial duel, struggle to even heading the ball, worse than Maguire with the ball playing skills & his marking ability is worse than Maguire. He has zero attribute to compliment Maguire & he has zero wow factor to play for Manchester United.

With Maguire, his role should be a ball player. The one who should play next to him to compliment his weakness will be the stopper either Tuanzebe or Bailly. Not only playing Tuanzebe or Bailly next to Maguire will make Maguire looks even better but also will improve us going forward. Because with pace, not only he will cover Maguire but also others especially during counter.

Ekeke

No, just no

The chuckle Brothers were a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention one or another was always it injured.

Let's give this partnership a little more time. Besides making some errors, they are also not helped by the fact that we have a negligible midfield and a very limited attack that almost never scores over a goal a game.
Waiting to happen, but didnt happen. Unlike for example with Lindelof where it did happen in his first season and the first half of last season. He hasnt been much better this season either

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Once we were under (very few) attack, the whole defence were just panicking. Our ball playing CBs had passing rates 76% of 37 (Lindelof) and 71% of 45 (Maguire).

It's also a concern even before the goal that in almost every corner, Brighton's got free header.

Last edited:

A-man

Once we were under (very few) attack, the whole defence were just panicking. Our ball playing CBs had passing rates 76% of 37 (Lindelof) and 71% of 45 (Maguire).

It's also a concern even before the goal that in almost every corner, Brighton's got free header.
Both played much more ”advanced” passes and some longballs today. That changed already last match and is probably something they were told from Ole. Then the failure rate goes up, naturally, but so also think both missed 1-2 relatively easy passes.

Completely missed the panick at the back. Must have happened when I blinked my eyes.

I think they completed each other well today and they have found their roles. Maguire goes forward to intercept or clear the ball and Lindelof covers.

Devil may care

I said when we bought MAguire that Lindelof wasn'tthe right partner for him, Maguire needs mobility and athleticism next to him, for me I'd play a back 3 with AWB and Axel either side of Maguire.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Both played much more ”advanced” passes and some longballs today. That changed already last match and is probably something they were told from Ole. Then the failure rate goes up, naturally, but so also think both missed 1-2 relatively easy passes.

Completely missed the panick at the back. Must have happened when I blinked my eyes.

I think they completed each other well today and they have found their roles. Maguire goes forward to intercept or clear the ball and Lindelof covers.
Must be a long blink to miss that one on one chance, their free header from free-kick, free headers from corners, and few others toward the end.

Lindelof had 3, completed 1 long ball; Maguire tried 6, completed 2. Others were just regular passings that both screwed up 1 every 4 passings.

A-man

Must be a long blink to miss that one on one chance, their free header from free-kick, free headers from corners, and few others toward the end.

Lindelof had 3, completed 1 long ball; Maguire tried 6, completed 2. Others were just regular passings.
Yes so my conclusion is there was never any panic.

As I wrote they played a bit more advanced passes than normal, when you try to play through several players or a longball. Bigger risk but has the benefit, except for the potential to create chances, to break down pressure from the opposite team. I like it even if I understand it will give them a worse percentage. It is the simple passes they shouldn’t miss. And they shouldn’t risk difficult passes when a failure can be costly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Every time the fecking ball gets into the box, the panic ensued. Then both dropped deeper and deeper because they can't keep up with opponent pace, rendering useless to have a high-line tactic.

I'm not sure why some still think there's no problem with this partnership. Most likely the ones who don't rate Smalling also.

Admittedly, this against the world class team Aston Villa.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lindelöf is a super light version of Maguire.
Not the right partner to say the least.

Tunazebe needs to come in for Lindelof, this current partnership isn’t balanced.

OverratedOpinion

Smalling is comfortably the best defender on our books and we are stuck watching Lindelof do his best dear in the headlights impression anytime the ball bounces.

Skills

Snitch
Smalling is comfortably the best defender on our books and we are stuck watching Lindelof do his best dear in the headlights impression anytime the ball bounces.
It turns out Smalling wasn't the one who needed his hand holding by a white man!

There was so much casual racism aimed at Smalling over the years, it was a fecking joke. Constantly how, the likes of Lindelof were the guys who were leading him and directing him to do his job.

OverratedOpinion

It turns out Smalling wasn't the one who needed his hand holding by a white man!

There was so much casual racism aimed at Smalling over the years, it was a fecking joke. Constantly how, the likes of Lindelof were the guys who were leading him and directing him to do his job.
What?

Smalling is our best defender and has been for a long time but don't quote me with that shit.

DoomSlayer

Yeah, he really has been. People keep calling for Tuanzebe to replace him next to Maguire, but on basis of form, Maguire is the one that should go.
This. Maguire was great in his first game only, after that he has been varying from average to bad, lately it has been abysmal.

Tyrone Mings looks like a better player, at least he has some speed. Maguire is slower than Matic for fecks sake.

Obiorahking_

I think we gotta give it time but a Smalling Blind partnership has done way more(granted both players were massively underrated)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Their on the ball quality is so overrated it's incredible. They are actually shit with the ball, just hoofing it(poorly) most of the times, and when they aren't doing that they are moving in circle like tanks and slowing the play down. And we bought both of them mostly for their quality on the ball, great stuff.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
At least Lindelof can pass the ball 10 yards. The Missing Link may as well be attacking a boar when he is trying to pass.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Their on the ball quality is so overrated it's incredible. They are actually shit with the ball, just hoofing it(poorly) most of the times, and when they aren't doing that they are moving in circle like tanks and slowing the play down. And we bought both of them mostly for their quality on the ball, great stuff.
I don't think Maguires on the ball ability is ovverated at all.

I see the guy literally dribbling like Martial to midfield every chance he gets just to pass the ball in to better players in free space whilst Lindelof does absolutely nothing.

I feel maguire needed Smalling as much as Blind needed Smalling to do his thing. Lindelof's ball playing ability is overrated - maguire's is not.

Explains how Maguire plays from deep from us.

Renegade

Don’t compliment each other at all. I don’t think Maguire trusts Lindelof at all. Maguire fancies himself as this long ball expert. It’s annoying.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
One of the first moves in the summer should be bringing Smalling back and selling Lindelof.

BlahRules

I don't think Maguires on the ball ability is ovverated at all.

I see the guy literally dribbling like Martial to midfield every chance he gets just to pass the ball in to better players in free space whilst Lindelof does absolutely nothing.

I feel maguire needed Smalling as much as Blind needed Smalling to do his thing. Lindelof's ball playing ability is overrated - maguire's is not.

Explains how Maguire plays from deep from us.
Tuanzebe needs to play with Maguire not Lindelof

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I'm starting to like these guys more and more based solely on the mindless criticism they get no matter what they do. The more and more popular notion that Smalling would suddenly have become prime Maldini if he had stayed also helps.

A-man

Have had som problems with the cooperation between them the last matches, but it worked well today. Also good cooperation with Fred and McT. Stepping up high when the midfield needed help. Spurs have scored 10 goals the last 3 matches but today they were not allowed to create much.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Said while we were being linked to Koulibaly, De Ligt and Maguire and the conversation was about how they would partner Lindelöf that Smalling would form a much better partnership with all of them. If not him, then someone else, because this partnership will not take us to where we need to be. Our defence is still far from good enough despite £130m last summer. Lindelöf gets bullied too often and full-backs offer nothing offensively.

I’m not sure what is most urgent between a new centre half and new full-back, but the back line still needs a lot of work. Due to resources, and the cost of top centre halves today, I would be more inclined to bring Smalling back and target a new LB, however, I wouldn’t say no to a dominant centre half. Lindelöf is Everton level for me.

Said while we were being linked to Koulibaly, De Ligt and Maguire and the conversation was about how they would partner Lindelöf that Smalling would form a much better partnership with all of them. If not him, then someone else, because this partnership will not take us to where we need to be. Our defence is still far from good enough despite £130m last summer. Lindelöf gets bullied too often and full-backs offer nothing offensively.

I’m not sure what is most urgent between a new centre half and new full-back, but the back line still needs a lot of work. Due to resources, and the cost of top centre halves today, I would be more inclined to bring Smalling back and target a new LB, however, I wouldn’t say no to a dominant centre half. Lindelöf is Everton level for me.
Agreed, Lindelöf has never convinced me.

We've got problems everywhere in fairness, McTom is all over the shop, superb one week, shite the next, our formally superb keeper now looks amongst the worst in the Prem but he's going nowhere due to a fat contract.

Haaland would be a step towards at least addressing a CF goalscoring issue we've had since Mou lost his shit and Lukaku decided he hated it here.

But even if we bring in Haaland and he's good enough, as you say, we need probably need a LB and CB to sort the defence, a number 10 and RF to sort the attack and at least 1 CM.