Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

Ekeke

I think it is you who are a bit deluded. If we look at the games against the weaker teams, positioned 10-20 in the table and compare United to City, it is rather clear that the problem is not conceding goals, but failing to score goals.

Goals scored against bottom half
United 15 goals
City 39 goals

Goals conceded against bottom half
United 13 goals
City 9 goals

Points against bottom half
United 13 points
City 28 points

United have only conceded 4 goals more than City against bottom half teams, but City have scored 24 goals more which have given them 15 points more. The difference is not the defence but the number of goals scored.
City's defense has been their problem... :lol:

A-man

City's defense has been their problem... :lol:
Yes tonight they were horrible.

But it is rather obvious that the poor results against the bottom half teams come from not scoring enough goals.

Manchester United didn’t score at all against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the league.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't think there's anything special at all about them as a partnership. I'd quite like to see Tuanzebe come in for the Burnley game seeing as we'll need to rotate a few anyway.
I dont think there's anything particularly special about Axel.

Ekeke

But it is rather obvious that the poor results against the bottom half teams come from not scoring enough goals.

Manchester United didn’t score at all against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the league.
Again, its both. We had a problem scoring goals, so conceding them lost us points. We invested heavily on the defense we should be able to rely on it, didnt really happen

A-man

Again, its both. We had a problem scoring goals, so conceding them lost us points. We invested heavily on the defense we should be able to rely on it, didnt really happen
But come on, zero goals against 3 of the 5 worst teams in PL and I wouldn’t put the blame on the defence. What has been a bit special this season is that more goals than normal have come from mistakes and similar. From the last four conceded goal one was an own goal, one a big mistake from the goalkeeper and one a totally unnecessary penalty.

edit: however I agree with your point about the investments. Lots of money invested in AWB and Maguire while not replacing Lukaku and Sanchez.

Ekeke

But come on, zero goals against 3 of the 5 worst teams in PL and I wouldn’t put the blame on the defence. What has been a bit special this season is that more goals than normal have come from mistakes and similar. From the last four conceded goal one was an own goal, one a big mistake from the goalkeeper and one a totally unnecessary penalty.

edit: however I agree with your point about the investments. Lots of money invested in AWB and Maguire while not replacing Lukaku and Sanchez.
I'm not disagreeing that its mainly in attack we've struggled its just that a great defense would have been handy in that situation and we'd be in a better position in spite of problems with the attack. Its still the attack holding us back, but the defense could have minimized that issue and it hasnt really happened

And yes, the individual mistakes are also more annoying than normal chances being given away due to the opposition playing well.

A-man

I'm not disagreeing that its mainly in attack we've struggled its just that a great defense would have been handy in that situation and we'd be in a better position in spite of problems with the attack. Its still the attack holding us back, but the defense could have minimized that issue and it hasnt really happened

And yes, the individual mistakes are also more annoying than normal chances being given away due to the opposition playing well.
Yes an even better defence and there would have been another 5-7 points. A better attack and there world have been another 20 points. The team have talent enough, no doubt, we have seen that against the top teams. It is the execution and tactics that are lacking. I am confident it will turn around soon especially now with Pogba back.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I remember so many getting carried away last season with Lindelof. I just didn't rate him and still don't. He's just not physical enough for this league.

We all know what's going to hapt tomorrow night. Wood and Barnes are going to torment him and he will cost us at least one goal.

Smalling not the best on the ball but he's a better defender than Lindelof and miles better in air. We don't need two ball playing cb's. Should be Smalling and Maguire this season with Axel waiting in the wings.

He'sRaldo

I'd say, since we've only had 3 clean sheets, it seems the attack has constantly had to bail out the defence in order to pick up points, with it almost never happening the other way round.

HowYouDoin

Well this is as obvious as it gets, they dont complement each other well. Huge lack of pace between them two, we will always be liable to concede stupid goals, plus Lindelof isnt great in the air.
I would feel so much more comfortable with Smalling instead of Lindeloff

A-man

I'd say, since we've only had 3 clean sheets, it seems the attack has constantly had to bail out the defence in order to pick up points, with it almost never happening the other way round.
There have been 19 games so far. In 14 of them United have conceded 1 goal or less. That’s not really a defence failing the team. 8 matches where United have scored more than 1 goal. That’s definitely not an attack bailing out the defence.

croadyman

Feel like it's a partnership that works well when we aren't up against a team that have a tall bruising striker, therefore I am worried about facing Chris Wood tomorrow night who will inevitably give Lindelöf nightmares whilst also knocking it down for his strike partner too.

cyril C

The argument has been too simplistic IMO. Yes we fail to score goals far too often, which has been a subject in another thread - why we fail to break down bus. Problem at our back is also an issue, but not a simple partnership question. We conceded far too many goals on set piece, which could be due to this partnership, or setup, or a combination of reasons. But too soft on set piece is too obvious to ignore. Our full backs were too slow problem have been addressed, our CB too weak has been partly addressed by Maguire introduction. Is Lindelof still being ball-watching? I don't know, at least I think so on his own goal, why no reaction at all?

He'sRaldo

There have been 19 games so far. In 14 of them United have conceded 1 goal or less. That’s not really a defence failing the team. 8 matches where United have scored more than 1 goal. That’s definitely not an attack bailing out the defence.
That's exactly it, because the defence has consistently failed to help the attack with clean sheets, when we couldn't score more than one goal. Whereas the attack has the ability to score more than one when the defence concedes.

I'd rather have a match where a few goals are conceded, and then some clean sheets afterwards, than this consistent conceding of at least one goal per match no matter the opponent, with very few clean sheets.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
That's exactly it, because the defence has consistently failed to help the attack with clean sheets, when we couldn't score more than one goal. Whereas the attack has the ability to score more than one when the defence concedes.

I'd rather have a match where a few goals are conceded, and then some clean sheets afterwards, than this consistent conceding of at least one goal per match no matter the opponent, with very few clean sheets.
Ole already talked about it. We have a problem of not defending on counter-attacks well. With weaker teams, when we have most of the possession, and the whole team is up the pitch attacking their bus, a quick counter catches us in almost every game. This is not just a two CBs problem, it's an entire team problem. Would even say - lack of experience problem, expected from a fairly young team.

Vida_15

I still think Eric Bailly has a lot to offer in our backline. If he can maintain fitness and get a good stretch of games under his belt we will see the best of him. That being said, I doubt he can avoid injury because of the way he throws his body around. The proverbial double edged sword.

A-man

That’s a weird way to put it. The defence must keep clean sheets otherwise it failed. But if United didn’t even score one single goal against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the PL I would say it was the attack that failed. I clean sheets could have changed that. It was 9 points well needed.

I still think Eric Bailly has a lot to offer in our backline. If he can maintain fitness and get a good stretch of games under his belt we will see the best of him. That being said, I doubt he can avoid injury because of the way he throws his body around. The proverbial double edged sword.
I actually think OGS is a big fan of Bailly so it'll be interesting to see what he'll do with once he's back. On paper an in-form (I know I know) Bailly would appear a much more suited partner to Maguire, but as you say, that'd possible require a brain transplant.

Shimo

It's a bad partnership period. Especially against weaker sides where teams will hit us on the counter attack or hoof balls over the top. Both run scared when attackers run at them, Maguire is slow on the turn and Lindelof is easily bullied off.
That’s a weird way to put it. The defence must keep clean sheets otherwise it failed. But if United didn’t even score one single goal against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the PL I would say it was the attack that failed. I clean sheets could have changed that. It was 9 points well needed.
When there is no confidence in keeping up a clean sheet, there is that much more pressure to score multiple goals. When you are not comfortable in knowing that your CBs will hoover up anything that comes their way on the counter, you are more reluctant to commit players forward. Think anyone watching us can clearly see that this is not a strong partnership, Lindelof can be targeted, Maguire is nowhere near an imperious defender except for challenging aerially, they just don't compliment each other well.

The idea is great, good ball players that can aid in the ability to play out the back if they were actually first very good at their primary job

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let’s just say, they are no way near one of the best partnership in the league, but they are no where near one of the worst either.

A-man

When there is no confidence in keeping up a clean sheet, there is that much more pressure to score multiple goals. When you are not comfortable in knowing that your CBs will hoover up anything that comes their way on the counter, you are more reluctant to commit players forward. Think anyone watching us can clearly see that this is not a strong partnership, Lindelof can be targeted, Maguire is nowhere near an imperious defender except for challenging aerially, they just don't compliment each other well.

The idea is great, good ball players that can aid in the ability to play out the back if they were actually first very good at their primary job

When you push the whole team forward, you will risk counters but you expect to score more goals. When you don’t score even the worst teams in the league can attack on counters.

Liverpool have conceded significantly less goals. Apart from them, United have conceded more or less average for the top clubs.But United have only scored more than one goal in five games out of 19.

Edy2

Yeah but how many of those games ended in draws where keeping a clean sheet would have meant a win? When you are not freescoring it becomes essential not to concede especially through stupid mistakes etc. Go back to fergies tenure and have a look at how many 1-0 wins there were.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I remember so many getting carried away last season with Lindelof. I just didn't rate him and still don't. He's just not physical enough for this league.

We all know what's going to hapt tomorrow night. Wood and Barnes are going to torment him and he will cost us at least one goal.

Smalling not the best on the ball but he's a better defender than Lindelof and miles better in air. We don't need two ball playing cb's. Should be Smalling and Maguire this season with Axel waiting in the wings.
People always used to say that about Blind. And when it didn't happen, those posters pretended that game never took place, and they rolled onto the next week to say the same thing. Wood and Barnes WILL win headers, they will win headers against every defence in the league, let's see how we deal with that. If we somewhat nullify that thread, will you be here saying mission accomplished?

KrasHammerhand

I thought Smalling & Lindelof were a good pair and complimented each other. When Smalling fell out of favour with many of the fans We needed an upgrade. It was decided by the powers that be as well as a large portion of the fans that Maguire was to be the replacement.

Smalling was deemed to be excess and was loaned out, he was never going to be an option, as any mistake he made, would bring a flurry of comments as people had already formed an opinion of him. I will say that I also felt this as Smalling had been here so long.

I felt that we should have gone with the combination of the three Smalling, Lindelof and Maguire, with Bailey & Rojo being sold. We would have Acel as a future option. This did not happen for various reasons.

I would welcome Smalling back at the end of his loan but I think that he will want to go where he is appreciated more.

Reactions: jojojo

Shimo

When you push the whole team forward, you will risk counters but you expect to score more goals. When you don’t score even the worst teams in the league can attack on counters.

Liverpool have conceded significantly less goals. Apart from them, United have conceded more or less average for the top clubs.But United have only scored more than one goal in five games out of 19.
You are stuck on the number of goals thing as how good this partnership is. Comes down to watching the actual games and watching Liverpool, they actually look weaker defensively regardless of how few goals they've conceded. The evidence is on the field when watching this partnership, that when push comes to shove there are glaring problems.

As for the worst teams, that is exactly how they are going to play us now and in the future, especially if we intend to become more dominant. Having a back pairing that can't handle that is not a good foundation for going for the future.

A-man

Yeah but how many of those games ended in draws where keeping a clean sheet would have meant a win? When you are not freescoring it becomes essential not to concede especially through stupid mistakes etc. Go back to fergies tenure and have a look at how many 1-0 wins there were.
It depends on what kind of tactics you have. I am pretty confident United could keep more clean sheets if that was top priority. The five top scoring teams: City, Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, and Tottenham- have scored 206 goals together. Against United they only managed to score 3 goals together, in five matches. So I’m pretty confident that this team could keep clean sheets against weaker teams if that was priority. But it’s not.

A-man

You are stuck on the number of goals thing as how good this partnership is. Comes down to watching the actual games and watching Liverpool, they actually look weaker defensively regardless of how few goals they've conceded. The evidence is on the field when watching this partnership, that when push comes to shove there are glaring problems.

As for the worst teams, that is exactly how they are going to play us now and in the future, especially if we intend to become more dominant. Having a back pairing that can't handle that is not a good foundation for going for the future.
The numbers of goals scored and conceded are of course important, as that is what determine which team that win.

Of course the weaker teams will play like that. But as long as United score goals it is not going to be possible, it has only been possible because of the poor scoring.

R'hllor

Dunno, i dont like it, its not even based on their each quality, them being rated or not just when i look at it, they dont give me vibe of solid. Maybe my wish to see Axel in there instead is clouding things.

criticalanalysis

People always used to say that about Blind. And when it didn't happen, those posters pretended that game never took place, and they rolled onto the next week to say the same thing. Wood and Barnes WILL win headers, they will win headers against every defence in the league, let's see how we deal with that. If we somewhat nullify that thread, will you be here saying mission accomplished?
The difference is that Blind is quite comfortably a much better all round player than Lindelof will probably ever acomplish in his time here. In terms of ball playing ability, defensive contribution and most importantly, actual influence on the game, Blind in levels ahead.

Criticism of Lindelof's weak physical engagement (defensively) is completely justified and true imo but the real problem is that he doesn't have any other attribute to make up for it.

ivaldo

The difference is that Blind is quite comfortably a much better all round player than Lindelof will probably ever acomplish in his time here. In terms of ball playing ability, defensive contribution and most importantly, actual influence on the game, Blind in levels ahead.

Criticism of Lindelof's weak physical engagement (defensively) is completely justified and true imo but the real problem is that he doesn't have any other attribute to make up for it.
That first paragraph has nothing to do with what I said whatsoever.

Stadjer

Without judging about their partnership or quality a big positive is that both of them can actually stay fit.

What a difference from Bailly, Jones, Rojo, younger Smalling and maybe Tuanzebe.

ivaldo

It's going to be quiet in here today. I wonder how many of those telling us Lindelof was going to be bullied by Barnes and Wood will hold their hands up?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's going to be quiet in here today. I wonder how many of those telling us Lindelof was going to be bullied by Barnes and Wood will hold their hands up?
I will. They were excellent.