Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

el3mel

How did we endure such awful partnership for 2 full years ? Imagine watching a full year of their crap.

Thank god for Martinez and Varane.

Welbeckham

Maguire is such an awful footballer that this thread is unfair on Lindelöf. We are much, much worse everytime Maguire plays. Any pairing without him is ok. He’s just so slow with everything he does and still manages to do make a bad pass once he finally passes it. And obviously he’s a liability defensively.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I hope these 2 never play together again. Along with another CB they are actually OK and have strengths but together they just seem to kill the pace of the game and look like an accident waiting to happen, even against WHam who were useless going forward. They just really don't complement each other.

Irwin99

It's one or the other plus Martinez/Varane. They're both decent squad players that play better alongside someone who covers their weaknesses.

That first half brought back a lot of memories, not so much about their defending but more the use of the ball: square passes, slow tempo, no help from the midfield either so it's not entirely their fault. I just don't want to ever see that partnership again :nervous:

SamVimes

Sell whichever of the two will raise the most revenue and reinvest in a young promising LCB

Robertd0803

How did we endure such awful partnership for 2 full years ? Imagine watching a full year of their crap.

Thank god for Martinez and Varane.
Couple that with the Fred/McTominay partnership and easy to see why games were just awful to watch.
Fred has been much better away from the partnership though.

It's one or the other plus Martinez/Varane. They're both decent squad players that play better alongside someone who covers their weaknesses.

That first half brought back a lot of memories, not so much about their defending but more the use of the ball: square passes, slow tempo, no help from the midfield either so it's not entirely their fault. I just don't want to ever see that partnership again :nervous:
Same for all of us.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Actually a big part of the slow play is down to the midfield, Casemiro makes himself available for a pass, McTominay doesn't, so the square passes are to try and find an angle to play the ball in to midfield rather than go long every time, didn't help that both fullbacks weren't great tonight, especially Dalot

MyBloodIsRed

One of the worst pairs,.. so much more obvious after watching Licha and Varane most of the year.

RC89

Casemiro asks for the ball and Maguire shoos him away, he then steps into midfield like a listing oil tanker and plays a clipped ball to Garnacho that is far to high and takes us backwards.
Maguire definitely has this trait about him where he wants to be the one creating things when he has 0 ability to do so. The amount of times he keeps the ball for way too long, takes too many touches, all while less glamorous passes are available to him just so he can feel like he's the main man.

He's done similar before only to get dispossessed in our own half. Some may argue he's a decent defender, but not for a top team.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

The slow build up used to infuriate me, and in this match it allowed West Ham to press us deeper and deeper in the first half, so much that De Gea had to kick long, West Ham winning every header subsequently.
The Valencia chance first half, was due to Lindelof switching off, and allowing Antonio past him, and we know Maguire has no pace. We may see them together against Fulham.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The fact that they were done twice with a ball down the middle that neither of them saw, to a man that neither of them was picking up should be enough evidence for even the most ardent members of the Maguire defense force to finally accept that he is just not very good at football. Even school boy level teams dont get done like that let alone twice in the same half.

MyBloodIsRed

Seeing both of them together, just should seal any opinion that they both need to be sold in the summer

Levi1

I hope these 2 never play together again. Along with another CB they are actually OK and have strengths but together they just seem to kill the pace of the game and look like an accident waiting to happen, even against WHam who were useless going forward. They just really don't complement each other.
I disagree slightly. Its true that they play badly together but its primarily because Maguire is terrible and he is used to leading Lindelof, whereas with the other two, they know they have to lead Maguire. Maguire thinks too slowly, he moves too slowly, and he's afraid to step up because he turns so slowly. Lindelof looks bad because of Maguire. Varane and Martinez are quick enough to make up for Maguire and they also talk to him more than Lindelof does. Point is I think Lindelof could be a very good center back in time if they dont play together.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You knew they were doomed when you couldn't merge their names together properly, Lindeguire ... Magulof? Sounds like a 70s detective and a cheap holiday resort where Brits can disgrace themselves. Vartinez has a far better ring to it, as an added bonus it sounds like they'd get the rub of the green with refereeing decisions.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Maguire definitely has this trait about him where he wants to be the one creating things when he has 0 ability to do so. The amount of times he keeps the ball for way too long, takes too many touches, all while less glamorous passes are available to him just so he can feel like he's the main man.

He's done similar before only to get dispossessed in our own half. Some may argue he's a decent defender, but not for a top team.
Yeah it's infuriating. People want to point to his passing stats vs someone like Varane, but the difference is Varane moves the ball quickly even if it's simple passes. Maguire sits on the ball like he's prime fecking Pirlo about to break out a 50 yard peach with his genius, just to pass it sideways again or worse.

I honestly think he gets a bit overrated as a pure defender as well. He's slow to anticipate danger regardless of how physically limited he is anyways. He's not very aggressive in his challenges or a supreme tackler. His only real quality attribute is he's a solid defensive header of the ball.

RC89

Yeah it's infuriating. People want to point to his passing stats vs someone like Varane, but the difference is Varane moves the ball quickly even if it's simple passes. Maguire sits on the ball like he's prime fecking Pirlo about to break out a 50 yard peach with his genius, just to pass it sideways again or worse.

I honestly think he gets a bit overrated as a pure defender as well. He's slow to anticipate danger regardless of how physically limited he is anyways. He's not very aggressive in his challenges or a supreme tackler. His only real quality attribute is he's a solid defensive header of the ball.
Spot on.

Me saying that some may see him as a decent defender was to acknowledge those that do. I personally don't see him as a decent defender at all but thankfully, I needn't bare my full opinion about him these days.

Greck

Holy hell, I never noticed how much of a ballhog Maguire was till his last couple outings. He acts like that kid who brought the ball to the park. When we want to pass side to side to create gaps this fool always decides to dwell on the ball and lets the press regain shape. Every single time. Actually fed up because it's so undisciplined. I don't know if it's the captaincy that warps their brain or they come to us broken. We have team play now so he can stop playing for himself already.

SAFMUTD

Night and day compared to Varane and Lisandro.

They look even worse after we've been able to see how a real solid partnership looks like.

ZahaWilf

It just doesn't work. Too slow and no penetrating passes. In some ways it's like the opposite of what Phil Jones and Eric Bailly would produce. You can imagine Jones and Bailly smashing into tackles and sprinting to make recoveries but then getting booked, sent off or injured, making forward runs with the ball but then their pass would go astray hence why they are no longer playing. If these two are not careful the same will happen to them because of their lack of urgency and assertiveness. Maguire I know has had his critics but he doesn't help himself and Lindelof hasn't progressed anywhere near enough. It is painful to watch.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Like if I shooed Gordon Ramsey away from the oven and proceeded to burn the lasagna

AndySmith1990

Can't stand watching those plodders try to play football. Especially Maguire. His slow and ponderous style screams Everton or some similar crap disjointed team

Zed 101

I am surprised that ETH hasn't tried Tuanzebe at all, is he still injured, he has some really good qualities, not saying top drawer player but for a 3rd or rather 4th choice has be ahead of Maquire.

my biggest criticism of Maquire last night would be the strength of his passes on numerous occasions they were too weak, and too near an opposition player, fortunately they had just enough but so, so close better players would have intercepted.

Telsim

Lindelof is good enough for back up. Maguire needs to be replaced this summer. Both of them starting together is an atrocity. I can't believe they did that for years. The state of this club...

Gordon S

I actually feel a bit sorry for Victor. He´s no Baresi but has looked pretty good the few times he has played with other good CBs.
Maguire does seem to be consistenly slow and clumsy regardless and always seems to make his partners worse.
Victor + Rafa or Licha doesn´t make me nervous. Maguire + peak Baresi would still somehow make me sweat.