Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

Dan_F

Just sell them both. I don’t think Lindelof is that bad, but we need something different.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I said at the weekend we got away with it cos the opposition was Forest. Forest had a tonne of corners and attacking possession they did nothing with. Sadly Sevilla ain't no Forest.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Maguire should never play for this club again.

I made a thread saying this about him and Pogba previously but it got binned.

Worse waste of money ever.

RedIan

Sadly we are stuck with them for the rest of the season. Id keep Lindelof as back up. Maguire can get fecked.

criticalanalysis

Just sell them both. I don’t think Lindelof is that bad, but we need something different.
One 'good' game against a shite open Forest and suddenly he's a dependable, third choice centre back.

Poor in the air many times, look at his 'block' for the disallowed offside goal, no man's land for the corner goal and it was his crap lofted pass into no one that lead to them breaking for the last goal.

Utter shite.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Lindelof was ok I thought. Maguire crap.

FerociousCorgis

lindelof prob fine as the 3/4th option assuming we sell maguire and bring in someone we can feel comfortable with starting next to martinez during varane absence. Then lindelof be fine to have.

luke511

Lindelof was ok I thought. Maguire crap.
Watch their disallowed goal again, it was classic Lindelof. More bothered about having his hands behind back and cowering than jumping in to get a block in, it happens every time he plays.

Dan_F

One 'good' game against a shite open Forest and suddenly he's a dependable, third choice centre back.

Poor in the air many times, look at his 'block' for the disallowed offside goal, no man's land for the corner goal and it was his crap lofted pass into no one that lead to them breaking for the last goal.

Utter shite.
I still Lindelof would be fine as a squad member, but at this point, it just makes sense to purge everything we can. From an accounting point of view, even getting £40 million back for Lindelof/Maguire would be helpful. They’re damaged goods in this squad.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Lindelof and Maguire is just really, really bad on the ball. They can't make quick passes longer than 2 meters so they take 5 touches, invite pressure and lose the ball. The only time these ball hoggers even try to play out and contribute in transitioning the ball is when we're too deep to advance into any significant positions to make the transition. 2-3 passes and we either lose the ball or get lucky and win a throw in deep in our own half. It's not really beneficial. Even if we're successful in playing out from deep, they revert back to passing back to De Gea after a couple of moves further up anyways. It's pointless and it freezes our attacking players because no time is ever right for these guys... Just throw your hand up and blame someone else for you not being quick enough on the ball, and pass back to De Gea with no guilty conscience. These guys have been frozen out almost from the squad so I have no doubt they aren't in any plans going forward but still... to still see this. Don't anyone tell them the truth about what they are doing wrong?

criticalanalysis

I still Lindelof would be fine as a squad member, but at this point, it just makes sense to purge everything we can. From an accounting point of view, even getting £40 million back for Lindelof/Maguire would be helpful. They’re damaged goods in this squad.
Nah. Get a player that can either improve and play to ETH's preference or someone that improves the first team. He's just another body. 5-6 years of pure passive crap.

Get rid.

Dan_F

Nah. Get a player that can either improve and play to ETH's preference or someone that improves the first team. He's just another body. 5-6 years of pure passive crap.

Get rid.
Yeah I don’t disagree at all. He’s had his chance, move him on. The club has become far too complacent with keeping players around despite clearly never being good enough.

theatreofdreams777

Solskjaer thought this was a good enough partnership :houllier:
That explains why he's still out of job. We could bring Smalling back for this game (hope he wins it now) & pair him with Jones who didn't play a single minute this season, and it would've been a far better CB pairing than these two clowns combined. Ole spent a fortune and somehow managed to make our squad worse but that's another talking point.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Well, at least they're not first choice any more... that's progress from where we were :annoyed:

RopersReturn

Lindelöf is okay as a squad player, but I don’t know who we’re supposed to sell Maguire to? He’s not going anywhere soon.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Too many happy to keep Lindelof as squad filler

if they were horses you’d take them both out into a field and put them down as lame

I suggest we don’t let them anywhere near a field ever again

RedDevil@84

At least Lindelof will probably find a new club when we ask him to leave. Maguire will not leave his 190K pw contract till 2025 anytime soon.

Ludens the Red

The biggest problem with these two is they inspire absolutely no confidence. And you can imagine that with that they also have absolutely no confidence in each other when they line up together.
Just an absolute mess of a pair of footballers who have to leave the club this summer.

James35

I would not be at all surprised if both are still here next season after we spend all transfer window chasing targets who have no interest in joining us and the continued uncertainty over ownership having our funds on a shoestring.

The club won’t let these assets go cheap and nobody is going to offer more than cheap for these two turds.

Unfortunately I still think we are years away from having a squad good enough to challenge for the major honours.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The biggest problem with these two is they inspire absolutely no confidence. And you can imagine that with that they also have absolutely no confidence in each other when they line up together.
Just an absolute mess of a pair of footballers who have to leave the club this summer.
Yup we have some players that induce nervousness in the collective. DDG and these two definitely fit the bill and that’s the defensive spine

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Lindelof is not the same as Maguire. The guy would be happy to play a squad role (a real one, not once in a blue moon) and has adequate quality to do so, even with Shaw.

Maguire needs binning.

Rightnr

Too many happy to keep Lindelof as squad filler

if they were horses you’d take them both out into a field and put them down as lame

I suggest we don’t let them anywhere near a field ever again
What did Lindelof do badly today? He was better in the Notts Forest game as well.

Too many lump them together and then say we cannot just sell everyone we dislike. Lindelof can easily do what Christensen is doing for Barca, Maguire would get bottles thrown at him in the same situation.

criticalanalysis

What did Lindelof do badly today? He was better in the Notts Forest game as well.

Too many lump them together and then say we cannot just sell everyone we dislike. Lindelof can easily do what Christensen is doing for Barca, Maguire would get bottles thrown at him in the same situation.
Look at his 'block' for the offside goal and his pass to no one for the De Gea feck up. That's on top of his slow passing and all around general passive defending.

It's not just an isolated incident where he shits the bed (like De Gea) when it comes to crunch games. He was fault for the Europa League final equaliser 2 years ago and in our previous game against Sevilla 3 years ago, he shepherded their player all the way into the penalty box to allow the player to play a ball before the assist with zero pressure. People act like his performances against Forest are the norm; it's not, he consistently flatters to deceive and doesn't play the game on his own terms. He constantly defers and plays the lowest common denominator.

No point keeping a 'squad' player that doesn't elevate the team when needed or give a good stop gap solution. He's been here 5-6 years. All of his abilities are hypothetical just like Mata. The only reason some people like him is because he has an inoffensive personality, which is much like his whole game. Inoffensive to his team and the opposition.

ShinjiNinja26

I feel for Lindelof a bit being lumped in with Maguire like they’re some double act. I do it myself tbf but it’s obvious Maguire’s the weak link. When you pair Lindelof with anyone half decent he looks fine, yet you pair top class defenders like Martinez or Varane with Maguire and even they look like Sunday League operators. It’s obvious who’s the problem here.

R'hllor

Brickhead and Ducker, what a combo

Still think Lindelof might find more than decent club to play, in different type of league, arrogant cement block on other hand...

Lights Out

Astounds me how some people still think Lindelof is ‘ok’

Are you blind?

He is absolutely shite. He always has been (remember him getting bullied away at Huddersfield in his first season?) and there has been zero improvement ever since.

We are the worst club in the world at buying shite and then tolerating them for years.

Aretak

I feel for Lindelof a bit being lumped in with Maguire like they’re some double act. I do it myself tbf but it’s obvious Maguire’s the weak link. When you pair Lindelof with anyone half decent he looks fine, yet you pair top class defenders like Martinez or Varane with Maguire and even they look like Sunday League operators. It’s obvious who’s the problem here.
I've never seen Lindelof look fine in any context. His weaknesses can perhaps be mitigated better than Maguire's by having a quality defender alongside him, but he's still a coward with all the strength of a ten-year-old girl and the determination and mental fortitude of a newborn Labrador. At best he might be okay to have as a 4th or 5th choice option, but realistically there's no scenario where I'd ever want to see his name on a team sheet.

ShinjiNinja26

I've never seen Lindelof look fine in any context. His weaknesses can perhaps be mitigated better than Maguire's by having a quality defender alongside him, but he's still a coward with all the strength of a ten-year-old girl and the determination and mental fortitude of a newborn Labrador. At best he might be okay to have as a 4th or 5th choice option, but realistically there's no scenario where I'd ever want to see his name on a team sheet.
He can get bullied a bit a times but I’ve seen him have far more good games along side other CB’s not named Maguire compared with Maguire himself who looks like a bomb scare no matter who he’s paired with. I’m not saying Lindelof should be a starter but I’d be a lot more comfortable with him as a back up compared to Maguire.

m1tch

I was going to make this point too. Lindelof would be absolutely fine as 4th choice CB. Maguire being replaced will elevate the defensive performances of everyone who remains.

The guy's head is totally gone, he can't handle the pressure and needs to play somewhere where there isn't the scrutiny, and maybe get some confidence into his game (and not just his international break interviews). We've a couple of problems though:
1. This season we have to play him until at least Shaw is fit.
2. I assume he's on wages he'll never see in his career again. 'Interested' clubs are going to be properly low balling us. Getting him sold is going to be extremely difficult. Maybe a loan is the most realistic compromise that might see us get a more reasonable fee for him the following summer.

Rightnr

He can get bullied a bit a times but I’ve seen him have far more good games along side other CB’s not named Maguire compared with Maguire himself who looks like a bomb scare no matter who he’s paired with. I’m not saying Lindelof should be a starter but I’d be a lot more comfortable with him as a back up compared to Maguire.
Exactly my point. Maguire needs to be babysat and even then Varane himself has failed in that impossible quest.

Lindelof has looked competent to good alongside our starting top-quality defenders and has attributes like decent passing (his long balls have always been on point when he plays them) and slightly better pace than Mr Fridge.

He's also on a better (for us i.e. lower) wage and does not get stupid attention placed on him like a certain other someone, from media or other places. People forget we bought Lindelof relatively young and for a decent fee in the current market (£30m or so), so he's definitely not been a flop at that price, since we'd easily record at least an accounting profit.

Maguire is an unmitigated disaster any which way you look at it.

Oranges038

Look at his 'block' for the offside goal and his pass to no one for the De Gea feck up. That's on top of his slow passing and all around general passive defending.

It's not just an isolated incident where he shits the bed (like De Gea) when it comes to crunch games. He was fault for the Europa League final equaliser 2 years ago and in our previous game against Sevilla 3 years ago, he shepherded their player all the way into the penalty box to allow the player to play a ball before the assist with zero pressure. People act like his performances against Forest are the norm; it's not, he consistently flatters to deceive and doesn't play the game on his own terms. He constantly defers and plays the lowest common denominator.

No point keeping a 'squad' player that doesn't elevate the team when needed or give a good stop gap solution. He's been here 5-6 years. All of his abilities are hypothetical just like Mata. The only reason some people like him is because he has an inoffensive personality, which is much like his whole game. Inoffensive to his team and the opposition.
Think that pretty much sums him up.

ForeverRed1

The worst defensive partnership in uniteds history possibly. Lindelof is alright but has been tarnished by that partnership unfortunately.