Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

OptimisedRed

Maguire needs to shave his head. He touches his hair more than he touches the ball, and is overly concerned with keeping it in place. Does that annoying head twitch to flick his fringe as well.
Truly believe he would be a better player if he had a close cut.
Thought Lindelof was decent last night. He has always lacked a bit of strength and aggression for his build though and that's what stops him more than anything-concedes possession very easily for his size.

Irishman

Harry 'Don't just do something
stand there' Maguire and Victor 'I can pick an opposition player out through the eye of a needle' Lindelof have to be the worst centre back pairing I have ever seen. Championship level at best.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Harry 'Don't just do something
stand there' Maguire and Victor 'I can pick an opposition player out through the eye of a needle' Lindelof have to be the worst centre back pairing I have ever seen. Championship level at best.
As a pairing they're terrible. Lindelof has redeemable qualities though and works well with Martinez and Varane.

Maguire just needs to go.

DevilRed

Both aren't anywhere good enough to be here. Just emergency/rotational players at best.

If even that.

Get rid and replace with younger and better.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can’t wait till they are both out. They’ve had long enough to show us that it doesn’t get much better from them.

Hughie77

I the games they've played this season been OK. But you know watching there could be a cock up in the next play.
Maguire is a good defender and he's been used to come on to shore it up with headers from long balls corners etc, lindelof maybe the same. As for passing from the back Varane and Licha are on another level.

I can see Maguire going in the summer with a decent offer coming in. He won't want to play 2nd fiddle for much longer unless he likes the playing time he's getting, we all know he hardly gets injured so as a squad player for us it's a no brainer. Lindelof as well same unless he's unhappy he will stay.

criticalanalysis

Maguire needs to shave his head. He touches his hair more than he touches the ball, and is overly concerned with keeping it in place. Does that annoying head twitch to flick his fringe as well.
Truly believe he would be a better player if he had a close cut.
Thought Lindelof was decent last night. He has always lacked a bit of strength and aggression for his build though and that's what stops him more than anything-concedes possession very easily for his size.
That applies exactly to Lindelof too :lol:

Maybe it's not a coincidence. Souness needs to have a word.

wolvored

We need to sell both. They would be good in a sit deep team, but not TH ball. 50-60 mill for the both, could be achievable. Its the wages that is the problem

RedMistyDevil

We need to sell both. They would be good in a sit deep team, but not TH ball. 50-60 mill for the both, could be achievable. Its the wages that is the problem
I wish we could get those amounts for the both of them. I doubt buying clubs will pay us that much because of their wages, like you pointed out (unless they're willing to take a pay cut to join them for more game time).

roseguy64

It's quite simply that ETH insists Martinez plays LCB, and Maguire plays RCB
He could have shifted Lindelof to RCB. He's played there before when Varane's been injured/rested and Maguire's not available.

See him praising Maguire's performance here.

Tee27

I am surprised that ETH hasn't tried Tuanzebe at all, is he still injured, he has some really good qualities, not saying top drawer player but for a 3rd or rather 4th choice has be ahead of Maquire.

my biggest criticism of Maquire last night would be the strength of his passes on numerous occasions they were too weak, and too near an opposition player, fortunately they had just enough but so, so close better players would have intercepted.
Tuanzebe is on loan at Stoke at the moment. It’s a shame really, seemed to have all the tools to be a very good player but just stagnated.

lex talionis

Magalof are decent squad players. No need to sell either of them, although Harry will want a regular starting somewhere so he may have to go.

JimmyWils

I, like everyone, have thought these guys are not up to the standard we want for a few years now.

If anything has cemented that thought it is the arrival of Martinez and Varane who have just blown these 2 completely out of the water. There is literally no way I can think of in which Maguire and Lindelof outperform and more deserve a place in the starting XI.

SuperiorXI

Lindelof is not as bad but Maguire constantly sends jitters throughout not just the team but the whole stadium. He's clearly not sure of himself on the ball and as a result constantly gives it away. He's also very prone to hospital passes putting other players in danger. He does not fit the team at all.

Abraxas

Lindelof is not as bad but Maguire constantly sends jitters throughout not just the team but the whole stadium. He's clearly not sure of himself on the ball and as a result constantly gives it away. He's also very prone to hospital passes putting other players in danger. He does not fit the team at all.
Is this really the main issue? I don't see that, I think his passing is reliable enough. It's just bloody slow.

The main issue is clearly the suitability of his attributes and proneness to individual errors. Also he has no confidence at the club anymore which given the way his career has progressed here, probably isn't a surprise.

El Zoido

Is this really the main issue? I don't see that, I think his passing is reliable enough. It's just bloody slow.

The main issue is clearly the suitability of his attributes and proneness to individual errors. Also he has no confidence at the club anymore which given the way his career has progressed here, probably isn't a surprise.
Everything about him is slow. Not just his passing, but his movement, reactions, response, he makes me nervous just being there.

SuperiorXI

It's not, he puts us in danger so so often.

Irwin99

Hello darkness my old friend :(

Thought Maguire actually had a decent game before the freakish OG but we're seemingly back to the old partnership for the next few weeks.

FriedClams

Maguire has improved for sure, less concerned by him now. He has a chance to get his spot back permanently so good luck to him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Before people chime up that they have only won those games because non-Martinez and -Varane centre backs have faced crap teams, we are about to play Nottingham Forest and Sevilla.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I like both Maguire and Lindelof. Are they better than Varane and Licha? Absolutely not, but they are better than most pairings in the EPL. One thing to consider is the fact they never had a good DM paired with them. A good Casemiro can make Maguire and Lindelof exponentially better.

I'm not too worried about our defense especially if Shaw is back.

Brightonian

I like both Maguire and Lindelof. Are they better than Varane and Licha? Absolutely not, but they are better than most pairings in the EPL. One thing to consider is the fact they never had a good DM paired with them. A good Casemiro can make Maguire and Lindelof exponentially better.

Agree with this. Not a patch on Varane-Martinez. But with Casemiro ahead of them, Shaw on one side and an ever-improving AWB on either side, they're a decent pair to fall back on. Casemiro will already know how to play to sidestep their weak distribution.

Ekeke

I think Casemiro will have more work to do than he's ever faced before so I wouldnt be surprised if his performance was weaker than normal playing with them

Perhaps thats his real punishment for getting sent off several times this season

Chief123

I read Maguire is suspended for the fa cup semi final leaving only Lindelof as recognised cb?

RedIan

Shaw casamiro Mctominay, all played CB for us it will be fine. Varane may be back sooner than expected.. a few games was the quote.

Giggsy’s left foot

Neither of them are brave enough to be playing for us. Too many touches early in the game encourages oppositions to close us down which often shatters their always teetering on the edge confidences.

Rolaholic

It's unfortunate that this can't be their swan song for us, would never want them to start another match for us again but they're going nowhere this season out of necessity :(

Conor

We are absolutely fecked the second they step on a pitch together. Would absolutely love to flog both of them in the summer, so I never have to hear their names again.